Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

At that price I could part it out, or make a sumo or whatever.

Think its worth checking compression? What else, besides noise? Smoke upon acceleration/decel? What is the risk with a used 4T, valve train abuse? I imagine compression and a "is it making grinding noises" check would be enough.

It's always worth it to check compression, but I've never bothered. Could be a clogged jet, if its hard starting as well the valves might be out of adjustment. Go get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

invision posted:

Bled the brakes, and that helped a little (but not a lot, gonna re-do it later.)
I have an 01, I've repeatedly bled the brakes, changed lines, MC, and caliper. I could never get a decent feel in the lever.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

invision posted:

LOL the engine just seized. It went "crackle crackle" then died now the kickstart wont move.

Did you ring it out while it was cold?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Every dirt bike on craigslist has had a 'fresh rebuild'.

Have fun in there! at least they're simple bikes.

Exactly, oh gently caress a bunch of metal came out when I changed the oil... For Sale Fresh Rebuild!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
From the scoring on the piston, I'm guessing the cylinder doesn't look so good either?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

tehk posted:

I am looking for some opinions on which pre08 250f has the most lowend grunt? My brother will be running my hybrid atv chassis in the youth 200/300 mod class this year, but I don't know enough about the 250Fs to choose a donor bike/motor. Our only real constrains are left side drive and it can't be a dual exhaust system like the CRFs since we trying to save cash and run stock exhaust if we can route it.

edit: Trying to go Japanese preferably. KTM motors seem to get a pretty penny on ebay.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/370/Motorcycle-Article/2007-250F-Motocross-Shootout.aspx

Looks like Kawasaki might be the way to go. What kind of racing?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

n8r posted:

450 4T bikes are the liter bikes of the offroad world. You really shouldn't be riding one as a beginner.

Can't tell if you're serious, its just a motorcycle after all.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

HNasty posted:

Ya because when he said your bike wasn't dangerous what he really meant was no bike is dangerous for a new rider. Stop being so butthurt.

I'm sure n8r doesn't need you white knighting for him.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

No battery on this bad boy...no estart either :(
Do you have auto-decompression?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Trying to decide if I need a KTM 450 XC-F, 450 XCF-W or 500 EXC is driving me mad.

Have you considered a rokon?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKz7biIvZWQ

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

First ride report: Holy poo poo so amazing

Spiffness was worried about putting the first scratches on it. So I went ahead and crashed it a couple times for him.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

JP Money posted:

Do you have hilly terrain or just flat woods? I never minded having a 250 2 stroke in the woods even. I feel a lot safer knowing the bike has the power to make it up hills and whatever else you throw at it versus an underpowered bike you don't have confidence in.

If I got another dirtbike in my eyes it's way easier to make a motocross bike work in the woods than it is to make a softly built woods bike work on jumps and stuff.

Riding my 250 4-stroke, the only time I've ever not had enough power was trying to pull 4th+ gear wheelies on fire roads. 35Hp is enough power to make it up any hill you can tackle without an extended swing arm. Torque is another matter, you may need to slip the clutch a bit to make a slow climb. Also, it works, but I had no idea how much my MX bike blows in the woods until I rode it back to back with a 450XC-W.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not saying you shouldn't want more than 35HP, I'm just saying you don't *need* more to make it up pretty much any trail.

Zool fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 3, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I tried really hard to get Spiffness back for all those times he splashed into a puddle next to me by jumping into a giant puddle right next to him at high speed. It ended with me and my bike very soggy, and Spiffness dry and laughing. In retrospect, choosing a 20x60ft 'puddle' in the 4x4 area for this prank was probably not a good idea. It stalled before it went under, but it hydrolocked as I tried to kick it back to life. I wasn't able to get the spark plug out and clear the cylinder until the next night because, in their wisdom, KTM decided not to make enough room for a standard spark plug socket, so I had to grind one down.

It's much easier to start now without a combustion chamber full of muddy water.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Nothing like the taste of mud. Have you considered running a paddle tire?

Zool fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 24, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

I'm looking at a 2000 KTM 300 EXC this week.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3569972742.html

$1750, oil changed every ride. Thoughts? It's a little old, but research shows it's a solid bike and not totally outdated.

I wouldn't bother continuing to change the oil every ride. KTM recommends changing it yearly after all. That's a pretty small engine though, have you considered a 690?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
That will do it, a brand new bike can be pretty hard to kick over. He's going to change the oil before he rides it again right?

Speaking of... my 250sx-f has gotten pretty easy to kick over, and pretty hard to start. I was looking at ordering a new piston. The Vertex aftermarket piston says it goes in an 2006-2012, but the CR went from 12.8:1 to 13.2:1 in 2011. It could be that the piston didn't change, but I'd rather not inadvertently lower the compression. I guess Vertex should know though, TT says they make the OEM piston too.

Zool fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 4, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

velocross posted:

Have you checked your valve clearness lately? I'd take a look at them if you're going to change the piston. What year sx-f? I've been using CP pistons in the last 2 KTM's I rebuilt and really liked them.

Yeah, I did an adjustment first. It's a 2011. Bad info on the OEM piston, it's an Elko.

Right after I figured Vertex probably know what they're talking about and ordered the stock replacement piston, someone responded on thumpertalk to confirm that I need to order the high compression piston.

Zool fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 5, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

clutchpuck posted:

I do want a bike with modern components, that's for sure. But you run what you brung.

I can sell you a '01 YZ 125 for 1k. :) I did the poker run on it last year, no problems. Brand new top end, changed the oil every ride, guaranteed to start first kick every time.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

n8r posted:

What
I want

The third sentence is a lie, but it runs and rides well. PM me if you want to come take a look at it. (Everett)
Best picture of it I could find.(In front of the truck)

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

dwon to the tahuya river,

There's a Tahuya river trail at Walker? That's confusing.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Finally got my bike back together and got out riding this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8--4BTcddQ

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Blaise posted:

I'm listening. Where should I ride my street bike now that its summer?
The Ridge.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

BlackMK4 posted:

Thank you guys :) So 250 over 125? I'm not really interested in DOONZZZZ BROOO - more like trails. What kind of mileage do these things get on a tank or is it something to not even worry about?

I would recommend a 250 four stroke for trail riding, 2-strokes are lighter, but have less usable torque, and get worse fuel economy. If you do get a 2-stroke a 200 or 250 with a heavy flywheel weight works pretty well off road. I started on a 125, it really is a lot harder to ride than a 250F. You need to ride the clutch on slow climbs because its either bogging, or spinning the rear tire otherwise.

Range depends on a lot, riding style is a big factor, as is the terrain. You might be able to ride trails for 5 hours on a tank, and burn through the same tank in 40 minutes out in the sand.

Edit: Actually at $1500 I would get a 2-stroke.

Zool fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 22, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh poo poo you got friendzoned in the first sentence bro!
And he only has 8 hours on a dirtbike! He's been fooling us this whole time.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
My first MX race, 4th of 7 in 250D.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfv1olru-k8

Moto 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pLDZ99YiZs

Zool fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 10, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
By the way, if you ever considered coming up 6 feet short on a big triple, let me just tell you that its a bad idea. See 3:20 in that first moto.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Kony Kid posted:

you weigh like 140 soaking wet. For you a 350 would be a nice trail bike... not so much a race bike.

My 350 is heavy enough to tire me out after a race. I'm pretty sure you would be better off with the 250. Guys that say the weight difference is negligible between 250 and 350 are full of it. The 350 weighs almost as much as the 450.

250 XCF-W 105.5 kg (232.6 lb.)
350 XCF-W 107 kg (236 lb.)
450 XC-W 111 kg (245 lb.)
Plus 14 pounds for fuel.

The 350 splits the difference pretty well, but it's closer to the 250 in weight than the 450.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Any recommendations for a 2-stroke cylinder repair/replating shop? Any experience with millennium technologies?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I'm not trying to piss in anyone's cheerios, I was just interested in what the actual weight difference was, and thought I'd share it. No idea what you mean by points 1,2, and 3.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Silver posted:

Yeah looking at next bike to be a 250XC or Beta 250RR. Mighhhhtt go with a 250XC-F but not positive on that yet, going to ride them back to back soon I think and see.

Why the XC over the XC-W? IIRC the XC is basically the same as the SX with a slightly larger fuel tank. The XC-Ws give you a 6th gear, softer suspension, and wider ratios.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

VTNewb posted:

Looks like a psudo-local dealer has the following:

2013 KTM 250 XCF for $7000
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W for $8000

I might just get the 250 and buy the headlight kit, because it's nearly $2000 savings from a new XCF-W and almost the same bike. I can put that $2000 into suspension and hard parts.

I know the XC is a 5-speed, does it have the same ratios as the sxf? If so, that's probably the most important difference. I guess you don't do a lot of 100mph desert riding, so the wide ratio 6-speed may not be a big benefit. I get a little tired of rowing through the gears, but I have the old close ratio 6-speed.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I went to MX practice today and finally cleared the triple I tried in the race video I posted last week. :woop: I was pretty much blind coming up to it pacing another rider as he roosted the poo poo out of me. Felt pretty good to finally make it, the next try I didn't get enough drive and cased it again.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

VTNewb posted:

Gonna pull the trigger on a '14 250 XCF-W. Decided the open class on the 350 would be way too boring.

EDIT: As chance may have it TrailRider just did a review:

http://trailridermagazine.uberflip.com/i/174639

Sweet, the class entries must be totally opposite of what we have over here. It seems like all the fast guys here are 300's and 450's racing in open.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Ironically we had complaints that the toaster was too slow

Are you running that thing stock? You need to get the factory power up kit.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Messed around with the high speed settings on the GoPro 2 at MX practice today. Sure would be neat to record at 240fps with the a Hero 3 Black.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YijtRdj69oc

Also, Youtube's compression totally butchered that video, might have to start using Vimeo.

Well that explains it, it kind of looks like Youtube didn't like the aspect ratio, so it stretched it out.

Zool fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 27, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
How was the private track?

Some content:
Me getting a little out of shape on a jump yesterday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg_LVs92X0c

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Pretty poor showing for me at my MX race today. 1st moto my fuel line dry break fitting partially detached. I was down two laps before I got it fixed. 2nd moto I got my tire caught on the gate, then wiped out six seconds later trying to make up ground and running out of talent. I knocked the wind out of myself and hurt my hand. At least I didn't break it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
How to clean a dirbike...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDW6i9VIK4M&t=98s

I'll stick with the one step process, pressure wash to remove mud.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Aww yeah bought a crf450F.

You're not a dirtbike bro if you're going to rip its heart out to power a midget Frankenstein bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Whenever you ride, always bring a towel, a change of socks, and a photographer.