Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I'm at my first MX practice of the year. I thought I kept fit enough over the winter, but my arms turn to mush after like four laps.

I did make some progress going faster in corner ruts, I realized I was looking a few feet in front of my tire instead of looking through to the exit.

Zool fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Some shots of Gullous and me at an MX race Saturday. We finished in the last two spots in 250D. It was my first time out on a real motocross track, rather than a tight SX style course. (I'm in the plaid PJs)

The crowd goes wild.

Using all the suspension.

Zool fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 16, 2014

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I recommend it! Also, I crashed in the whoops and my right knee is so swollen I only have about 1/2 the normal range of motion.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

VTNewb posted:

Now I'll be riding two forty minute motors of woods and Moto at Wareham mx in Mass Sunday. Never moto'd before, but this race series is all off road, so all the other guys'll be in the same boat.

If it's like the woods/moto race I did a couple years ago, it's enough woods that your moto skills hardly matter. But some first time advice, don't jump anything you can't see the landing for until you know the track.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

n8r posted:

It looked to me like you weren't using your throttle to lift your nose in the air. The nice thing w/ 4T bikes given their engine braking is that they tend to pitch nose down. I never got any good at hitting my rear brake in the air with a 2T bike.

I need to practice using the rear brake to pitch down, I'm way to slow with it. But yeah, if you go nose low, you should be bouncing off the rev limiter trying to bring it back up.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I'm feeling this one.

Zool fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 24, 2014

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

n8r posted:

Video plz.

Monster is going to call up with my pro contract any day now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbpIBAEr9_I

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

n8r posted:

Wow, it didn't sound like you shut the throttle much off the jump. Did you seat bounce yourself accidentally or something?

I must have, its an abrupt ramp so it really compresses the suspension. I ran out of revs real fast, probably should have shifted before the jump.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gullous posted:

Gold Star MX is the regional motocross series, with a race in Monroe this Sunday

Oh yeah, I forgot that was this weekend. I'm going to try out a new race strategy where I don't ride over my head and hurt myself.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

PoopSok posted:

Is the Monroe track pretty easygoing for a complete track noob?

Yeah, it's pretty feature packed, so expect to get tired quickly, but nothing is that intense except for the two triples (which you don't have to go for).

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Moving' up the pack. 2nd place finishes in both motos today, and my first MX trophy. My race strategy of not riding over my head and hurting myself worked out pretty well. I might try that again sometime.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I went out for MX practice yesterday and had a new weird dirtbike problem!

It bogged down a couple times, presumably because I was low on fuel, so I filled it up. After filling the tank it started bogging and stalling in right hand banked corners. I couldn't reproduce the problem by turning right on flat ground, or tipping the bike to the right, but every time I got into a berm going right it would cut out.

Sediment in the tank or a clogged fuel filter are pretty much my only ideas at this point.

Also, I got to ride Gullous's new 350SX-F and holy poo poo it's awesome.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I had an MX race yesterday. First moto I was in third for four laps, then got past into second. Second moto I stalled at the gate, and started in 5th about 15 seconds back, but made it up to 3rd on lap 4. I believe, by virtue of showing up to two out of three races, this puts me in the points lead.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I was at Evergreen Motocross Park in Monroe. I've only ridden Pacific once, it was a good time but way more crowded for practice. They had been it split up into 6 groups, EMXP usually has 1-3 groups for practice depending on turnout, so you can get more seat time in there.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Sounds like you need to do a leakdown test. Have you drained the oil? Anything that looks like the remains of a piston ring?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Overshot the landing on a pretty big jump this weekend. I bottomed out hard and sprained an ankle. I suppose that's a sign I should turn up the compression damping a bit (sag is set correctly).

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

n8r posted:

There is no amount of compression setting in the universe that will keep you from casing your bike if you land flat. You could go to heavier springs but that will present more problems if you aren't ready for them.

Bottoming out was inevitable, bottoming out hard enough to cause injury might have been preventable with a different set-up. I wasn't the only person to overshoot it, but I was the only casualty. Maybe I'm just getting old though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

bird cooch posted:

I would like to find him and make him feel really bad. Feel bad and be poor. It cost a lot of money to fix the leg.
Also the prison sentence. He should feel bad about being in prison.