Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Riding: 2 years + kid stuff
Bike: KTM 690

I bought a fancy dual sport and realized I like dirt a lot. I've been making it work, riding ORVs and racing a few harescrambles. Previous years I pushed myself but wasn't anywhere near race pace, but I plan to do better this season. Fitness and skillz...

I plan to break into motocross in the next year, considering that come August I'll have more access to MX tracks than ORV parks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Double posting. :dealwithit:

Everyone watch this movie. All of the Moto series have real good footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwc9S9v5v8Y

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mI7NL54yP8

Skiers vs MX

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The Desert 100 is this weekend! Two 50 mile laps through eastern Washington, and we're scheduled for rain and a little bit of snow :v:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

VTNewb posted:

How'd it go Gullous?

Got access to my old hare scramble track back. It's about 9 miles long. About 10 minutes after I showed up none other than NETRA AA #1 and #12 showed up. They were incredibly quick. At my very best they cought up to me after 1 lap and I had a quarter mile head start.

It was intense! I really enjoyed the riding, but the 690 called it quits 40 miles in. It threw a limp code on the dash, we'll see. I was really upset, they ran an adventure class this year (652cc and above) and I was in the lead! Granted there were only 5 of us ( three finished, and a 990 went in the river!

I was really happy with my riding, reflecting on last year. Im still sore and blistered, but I was carrying a lot more speed this time around. I was duking it out with a dude and he highsided really hard, going unconscious. He was breathing and others offered to stay with him, so I rode to the next checkpoint. Lots of wrecks, I heard someone was airlifted with a broken neck :smith:

Ill post video when I get home.

Thats cool about your HS track. The speed carried by the top guys is insane. The fitness too...

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Soon I hope! $1500 for a 10 year old 2T 250 sounds appealing... Hopefully this Summer.

When I say intense I was including the weather. Camping for two days in the wet, sub 30F weather was really rough. No snow, luckily.

Intense also describes recovering my bike. Spiffness had to tow a trailer down a long primitive road up to the edge of the course. Two of us towed my bike back while Spiffness and his GF helped like 4 riders with gas, tools, water, and beer. THis was around the last 10 miles of the 100 mile group, and they looked destroyed. Just limping down the trail...

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Here is footage from the D100 Start
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YDiVmqvH8g

Not much action here besides the start. I'm uploading two more with a crash and some cooler terrain

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/2963172941.html

Just like the title states 2005 yz 450 f Everything is straight on the bike and rides as it should I just can't seem to get the bike to idle right It runs and rides perfectly but when you pull in the clutch it dies Just need it gone $1300 obo

I hope to take a look at this ASAP. Thoughts? Probably just a carb issue, right?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
At that price I could part it out, or make a sumo or whatever.

Think its worth checking compression? What else, besides noise? Smoke upon acceleration/decel? What is the risk with a used 4T, valve train abuse? I imagine compression and a "is it making grinding noises" check would be enough.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Tape Leg posted:

Here's a quick video of the first segment of trail on a ride I did last weekend.
http://youtu.be/_fcI-52B4tQ

You take great lines in the rough stuff, you just hop over the worst of it. The elevation looks really fun, too. One of these days...

It looks pretty smooth along the ridge. Are there any switchbacks going down the hill?

quote:

Has anyone else had a bike they were emotionally and financially attached to because they decided to keep it a decade past its prime? I imagine I am alone in feeling this way about a 'disposable' mx bike.

I sold my big wheel yz80 to get a ninja250. I was eager to ride street, but I regret the sale to some degree. Despite how loud it was, it was the best way to go grab the mail :v: I miss it...

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 19, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
That's a lovely lesson :smith: At least you don't have to deal with a valve train, and you'll have a truly fresh rebuild!

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I have minimal experience in engine overhauls, but isn't the mentality "replace all wear items when you're in there?

Would it be excessive to replace all the lower bearings? Is there a concern of debris mucking up the bottom end?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Open C is full of newbs (me), but like Z3n said, there are always fast guys. In the harescramble format, everyone is on the course, so class only matters for the start and points. Once you're out there you'll end up paced against people your own speed .

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 23, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Good luck with the recovery, Becktastic.

Silver, dirt bike events are notorious for lovely organization/communication. That crowd is less familiar with computers so you end up with lots of unknowns. You go onto thumpertalk and there are 20 posts asking for directions, times, etc.

Good luck with the race!

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Good on you for sticking it out! First is pretty drat slow. How did you crash, and were you hit from behind? Maybe that incident moved your rear wheel, giving the chain enough slack to jump off... Just a theory

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
You should get an xr100, Silver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9j8hzKS5XQ

I grew up riding this "track", but I'm a little faster now. And a little bigger (you can hear the fender hit). I put in a few good laps around 2:09.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Ugh, I've been there, Silver. I rushed a tire change Saturday, and woke up to a flat tire. No riding since the shops are closed. Since then I've carried spares.

Ugh, my 690 was showing signs of an electrical short. I had to pull the entire harness to find the wear spot:

Looks like the 690 isn't fully ready to race...

I plan to rewrap the entire harness and add cushioning at the frame contact points. Then look for a real dirt bike :v:

In light of this damage, I wonder how well designed EFI MX bikes are. I imagine they keep the wire count down to a minimum and employ a healthy dose of bracing and cushion.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Have I misread the last page, or is everyone saying liter bikes make a good first dirt bike?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-DuzXcQ4qM
:v:

I'd argue to consider the type of riding you'll be doing when choosing a first (any) bike. If you're riding dunes you can probably get away with a bigger bike. If there are motocross tracks available, consider a bike setup for track riding. Etc...

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
KTM: Ready to argue

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Z3n posted:

Oh god what have I done.

The best decision ever. Your 'transitioning to dirt' thread has been realized!

Now find some dirt buddies and get riding.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Dirt is soft! You'll be fine. What gear do you plan to wear?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I just broke my hammerhead shift lever on the 690. The head sheared off in a pavement spill. They look nice but I'd prefer the ductility of a cheaper lever over the stiffer hammerhead.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Says the guy with a E-start.

I have it to. It's just a matter of trying, right! What are you, tired?

:v:

Some races here run dead engine starts. When half the field has the button, I don't understand the policy.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I may have some free tickets to Moto gp. Gotta get the details. If I'm going I'll let you know!

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

VTNewb posted:

So some interesting news,

I learned I ruptured a tendon im my wrist (rugby injury actually). As a result I havn't ridden in a month and need hand surgery, but my race results have been marred by endless technical difficulties (broken shift lever at the start of Nutmeg State, bike wouldn't start on the line of CATRA). A buddy of mine offered to trade his 09 CRF450X with toys (autoclutch) for my GG. I think since my wrist is more or less ruined at the moment I might go with it and race for giggles on the new platform.

Why not right? New experiences, try the series again next year.

That sucks :( I've had wrist issues since I broke it, staying on PT even a year+ later is required. Take the time to heal up!

I thought a GasGas dealer was helping you out. Is that deal still going on?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
That first jump came out of nowhere! The talent and track are both amazing.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

VTNewb posted:

The first race of the year is January 20th. The snow run!
That looks so fun, good luck! You dropped the GasGas right?

Clutchpuck:
Rear brake is legit, but you may want to clutch in to avoid stalling it.

I spent a lot of time at Walker last winter. Searching for your submerged bike in a puddle of iced over water is real fun! It is fun in a "everything is cold and 4 times as hard" sort of way.

So,
My brother bought an '01 yz250f; we hitup the local illegitimate MX track:
album

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 26, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Someone put a huge lip on it, plus camera angle/distortion. I'll get him to upload his gopro footage.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 26, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
There is one tolerated spot at the powerlines; directly across from the substation. We've been ignored by the cops three times now. The locals back this up. All the other areas look sketchy, with signs and such. Still, Walker is a better area if you're looking to explore fire roads.

Near Granite Falls is a huge fire road area. Just beware of the usual redneck bullshit (drunk rednecks + guns/trucks/meth). I've dual sported the area and it's extensive and remote, it sounds more up your alley than Walker. Unfortunately it's likely snowed in until Spring.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I believe they've opened a single mile of trail at Reiter that looked incredibly tame; the photos posted looked more like a park than an ORV park. Everyone's expectations for Reiter are low based on what the county has said, but I haven't read up on in it in the last 6 months.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Hon(duh) 250L! I'm pretty sure thats a 250 liter engine, should be plenty.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I recall spiffness claiming his could have used more power in open mud flats at this race:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqzZiMSrsbE&t=1350s

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I'm looking at a 2000 KTM 300 EXC this week.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3569972742.html

$1750, oil changed every ride. Thoughts? It's a little old, but research shows it's a solid bike and not totally outdated.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

VTNewb posted:

This was prior to the switchable ignition and really heavy flywheel weight. This bike rips, and will be hard to ride compared to the 06+ equiv.

Thanks for the info, those changes were unknown to me. I can always change out the flywheel if I really need it. I have no illusions about a 13 year old bike being on par with anything contemporary, but I understand that era of 300 EXC is still decently competitive for Open C/trail riding.

Silver posted:

:what: You do know that it's a 2 stroke yes? Also a 690 would be a pig in tight trails/woods riding.

I use rotella and change about every 3 rides or so. It doesn't take a lot and it's cheap so no big deal.

Will this be your first dirt bike? 300 is going to be a bit much, kinda like getting a 450 4 stroke to start out on. Fun though for sure. I started on a 200.

690 is the best motorcycle (in every category) but is banned from racing so i need something legal.

edit: proof

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 30, 2013

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I didn't buy the 300 EXC; it was quite the claptrap. Briefly looking it over I noticed the frame was rusty, rear shock was toast, shot rear wheel bearings, sprocket, & chain, play in the kick starter, missing kickstand. The engine was strong, but overall it felt worth $800 and 40 hours of labor.

I love that engine though, I'm sold on that model.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
VTNewb, you're hauling, especially for that terrain! I look forward to your video...

Zool's YZ is good bike.

Clutchpuck, I think you'd have a better time on the poker run; it's the same experience, just dialed back a bit. You ride 35 of the 50 race miles with less kids ROOSTING :rice: You still get a t shirt, and it's $30 vs $50. And you can start whenever, rather than wait around an hour for the race to start.

690 at the D100 last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0WG1L-v4_c&t=22s

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Zool posted:

Whenever you ride, always bring a towel, a change of socks, and a photographer.

More pics:

I realize half my posts are photos from this hill, but this day turned out well. New bikes, new camera, same buds.

I picked up an 09 250SX-F, I plan on taking a shot at motocross this year. The improvements are night and day compared to the 01 yz250f I was riding. But like Zool, I have a lot of room for improvement with regard to fitness.

Bonus gif:

A friend joined us for his first time riding dirt. He made it up to the top eventually. I give him a lot of credit for even attempting the hill; most first timers don't even think about it.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

BlackMK4 posted:

Alright, time to start browsing CL for a 250 2t for my first dirtbike. You've put the want in my head.

I'm completely hooked, it's a huge rush. Zool and I are both starting out on 250 4Ts and they're plenty fast for our skill.

Here's footage from my perspective, Zool is to my right in the gate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3smx9Rhn40

By the end of the first lap I had significant arm pump, so I dialed it back. The shifter spun on the splines in the last lap, leaving me in 2nd gear. There are no free lunches with used dirt bikes.

My bike is under sprung for my weight. I dialed up the compression damping, which stopped the bottoming but made everything else worse. New springs are in the mail.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I agree, I dialed it back after the first lap. I need more practice and endurance. Properly sized suspension would help too, I was rebounding pretty hard on some of the landings. I'm 215lbs and the previous owner weighed 180, sprung for trail riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I watched Zool and friends ride yeterday. I didn't see his crash, but I got some random guy looping it out:

He walked away, eventually. The flagers were far away so I moved his bike. He reattached his exhaust, fender and kept riding the rest of the day.

Zool:

And the Pros:

Bar hump:

More

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 25, 2014