Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
That's a cool pic and nobody will know its a jump anyways. What are you riding, yz250?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Riverdale is a sweet place! That place gets so slick and bumpy in the wet, it's easy to get tired. A year ago the (old) vintage track got swallowed by the river, I wonder how they reshaped it. How big are the AX features?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I'd argue for the hard armor. Crashing in with dirt riding usually involves hitting something pointy and/or sliding. Plates help distribute that impact and resist the abrasion.

Don't forget your knee's, they usually take most of the energy in a crash. It's easy to strike your legs against rigid objects without officially crashing; good boots and guards make the difference between riding away and limping for a week. Combined with boots you're fully protected thigh down:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...gsViBoCQxTw_wcB

Washougal runs a new years day harescramble and it's always a frozen mudpit. I'm not envious:

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 8, 2017

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I once participated in a scramble that started frozen (looking), and rapidly turned into this. My Trelliborgs are 9 years old, and all the damage on them came from that race.

Did some snow motos on Sunday morning. It was horrific, but engaging in a 30 minute tank slapper is a good upper body workout.

I remember you rode all winter on studded tires, crazy they last that long. Are you running a steering stabilizer? I really need one, but I've made it this far...

Content:
WORCS is crazy: https://www.facebook.com/worcsracing/videos/1301123163267581/

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 10, 2017

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

https://www.facebook.com/seattime/photos/a.174606755908718.30977.164915550211172/1243164912386225/?type=3&theater

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Keeping trail maps accurate is the real hurdle with that idea, especially in logging country.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Congrats, looks like a steal. Are you doing MX at all? The Ridge's track looks fun, plus vilapotato's new place

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Next time lean back and pin it

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

builds character posted:

I have a leatt 3df. I'm thinking about switching to their 5.5 for more plastic and protection on the sides (trade-off: it's hotter). I don't know if it'd help with something like that where your bar end is sort of coming from the side but it'd help if it hit you square in the chest. Anyway, 3df is good. Can confirm it holds up well.

I have this TLD chest protector. The flexibility is great, nothing like giant roost guards of the 90s. A pitfall of this style is that they pickup a lot of sweat and get smelly. Revzilla covers the pros and cons of each model but it boils down to a tradeoff of protection and comfort. The shoulder protection works on mine but a branch hits my belly once and a while which sorta hurts. If you run a neck brace make sure it fits.

Edit:

New tires and a tubliss for the rear showed up today. I always forget how much knobbies wear down until I see new ones. Running a 19" rear offroad has been pinch-tube-city lately, hopefully the tubliss is an improvement.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 18, 2017

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Slowmo shots from the weekend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOI2xvaxs1g&t=1s

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Tires from 17!

Serious comment:
Match your tires to the terrain you're riding, categorized as soft, intermediate, or hard packed. Intermediate is a safe bet unless you're exclusively riding sand/mud or some Utah rocky stuff. On a TTR I'd get whatever is on sale, but I've bounced between bridestone x40 and dunlop mx52s.

More reading
http://www.motosport.com/blog/the-difference-between-soft-intermediate-and-hard-terrain-dirt-bike-tires

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 26, 2017

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Interesting damage, how'd you do that?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

shacked up with Brenda posted:

I had a great start on Sunday (I'm 512).

It was crucial, because it was dusty and tight. Unfortunately, about 1 mile in, an out of control person struck me and took us both out. I'm fine today, but 10 minutes of riding on Sunday wasn't my plan.

At least you got a cool photo out of it! Why did you let a noob get ahead of you ;)

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Fun riding and good editing, except for the music. Traffic always sucks :( How did he place?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

n8r posted:

do *not* need a 2017 CRF250X unless money is no object and you don't mind the maintenance intervals. If you want less maintenance and similar weight/performance get a two stroke bike.

If you don't need the power, but still want the light weight, I would look into plating one of the aircooled offroad specific bikes. A CRF230F is still quite light and isn't going to require anywhere near the level of maintenance. It'd make for a good trail bike for moderate speed stuff. I got rid of my YZ450F because my riding bros are flakes, but if I was going to get another plated trail bike I'd look at a legalized aircooled bike.

250x will be so much better in the desert 100 for suspension alone. 100 miles of whoops on young-adult suspension while 100lbs under sprung is how you don't have fun on a dirt bike. I do see the appeal for poking around trails though, perfect for that.

Congrats clutchpuck, now lets see a wheelie

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Is the solid rotor for mud riding? I haven't seen them used on a modern dirt bike before.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Try adjusting the bars forward:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
"The GPX Moto TSE250R is the first Chinese two-stroke enduro bike and “the most affordable and highest performance two-stroke in its class.”"

What class is that?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
4 straps is clearly better than 3 as pictured.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Servicing forks isn't hard but knowing what to change is the art. Do you work from a guide or estimates & experience?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Re: down hill. Get comfortable riding fast on flat. I imagine the intimation is due to having less control over acceleration.

Lean back and look further ahead than you normally do. At a faster pace riding the brakes over a long duration over bumps will pack the suspension so don't to that.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Eastern WA is a nice change of pace. Are you camping off the bikes? You'll be better at gravel sweepers by the end. Sit far forward as you can, leg out, and stay on the gas.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
yes sounds good!

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Alpine riding can be intense! Steep and long distances, you get committed. We got lost at Taneum years back. Down a steep hill and wading through brush, we finally found a road.

Poopsock, our frustrated guide

We went up to Split Rock at Walker a few weekends back. It's surreal going from ferns and roots to deep alpine crags and moss (on foot). There area unsanctioned trails leading off from the area but my MX tank doesn't have the range to explore much beyond the direct route.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 18, 2019

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Walker just opened up that weekend right? Was it busy?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I just got a FE501 (not S). The rear light has leads for run and brake lighting, but has no control for it in the harness. I added the OEM switch to the front brake mastercylinder and wired that to the 'extra' wire on the brake light (powered from the little headlight lamp). I just passed my street legal inspection, but can't get a loving plate until the state mails the title.

I feel you on sicass delays, it's tedious sourcing things piecemeal; I went with a cyclops LED bulb, customLED.com blinker relay, tusk controls, and did the wiring myself (Deustch connectors + crimping tool make life so much easier)

I'm curious what you find with the forks. I only have a single ride so far so too early to complain. I'd consider getting springs before any valving upgrades; body weight, terrain, and skill level will dictate your ideal spring rate. You can check stock vs the ideal on racetech's website. Also, any used upgrade will have a spring rate for the previous owner and unlikely to suit you.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 8, 2020

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
A friend's 250 ingested sand in that same spot, the air filter wasn't fitted properly.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Looks like that diagonal root caught your front (0:27). Looks like fun sandy terrain.

Warm weather brought me out last too, from last weekend at Walker Valley

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 6, 2021

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I too was at Tahuya Sunday with buds. Tahuya is always so soggy but that's better than snow and deadfall. It's my first season running bar mitts it's so nice avoiding icey wet hands. $17 too https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-hand-mitts-p

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Two dudes has a bad day on a local ridgeline trail:

From the facebook comments, snowmobiles get stuck all the time and use helicopters for extraction. I rode this trail for the first time last month and it was a struggle. I can hard enduro but the elevation, exposure, and heat stack up. Unforgettable ride though:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Chinese bikes have come a long ways and are fine for beginner / play bikes. YCF, SSR, Kayo are all cheap and basically clones of honda. Worth considering if the used market is dry or overpriced.

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 22, 2023