Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Man, people need a better understanding of where to stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Somewhat dirt bike related, my bike is still down in need of a top end but that has to wait until after we move into the new house in 2 weeks.

After renting all of my adult life, it's going to be really nice having an actual garage with a concrete floor (our current rental has a small single stall dirt floor garage) and being able to customize the work space how I need without worrying about moving again in a few years.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
In the middle of a move and can't get to my bikes top end yet. I wish I could ride.

:smith:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
"LOL Sorry"
Xoxo - PO

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Nice

I think the top end in my WR is finished so I'll have to rebuild it before I ride again. I also happened to hurt my back twice last year, not while riding, so I haven't ridden a lot since then and I'm eager to get back out. Our northwest weather has been wetter and colder than normal, and the mountains have been getting pounded with snow so it might be a while before the higher elevation areas are open again.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Elviscat posted:

Finally got out for a real ride, my buddy I was supposed to go with is sick, so that was a non-starter, went out riding anyways.

I was worried about the charging system when I set out because the bike really didn't want to start in staging, I think it was just a little flat from my ride around the yard because it was fine every time I started it after that.

I took it slow and took lots of pictures.

Riding across these bridges always scares me.

Ha, I recognized the staging area from the first pic. I love riding out there though I don't think I've ever been this time of year. I can only imagine its really wet and sloppy meaning you'll end up soaked but that's true for riding tahuya anytime there's been recent rain. I've ridden on bone dry days on sweltering heat and my boots were filled with water.

That's where I learned exactly how slick and slimy wet logs can be. First one I ever tried to hop over put me straight down on my face. Those bridges can be terrifying. I really wish they had more traction material on them. Some are better than others. I think there's one that's just bare wood planks and it's sketchy when damp. I've seen so many people slide out when they're wet and slimy. They basically turn into ice.

Verman fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 18, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
A little bit of heat and a lot of moving air will make a world of difference.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Ive done something similar on my WR. I think its the airbox plastic that my boots snag on sometimes. Annoying placement.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'm getting ready to redo the top end and valves for my 07 wr250f. Never done it before but I'm confident it's within my skill ability. I've shimmed valves, rebuilt forks, suspension etc, carb work etc. I do all the work on my vehicles so I'm not too worried about that. I'll toss in a new timing chain while I'm at it. Ricky mountain has two great videos on the rebuild and a video on valves.

I'm thinking of going with steel as opposed to titanium valves. I'm a little unsure about lapping valves but I've got a buddy I can ask for help.

I don't want to go with a big bore kit. I've never really felt like I need more power so I'm fine with original spec.

For parts, my initial thought is to go with Yamaha OEM parts unless anybody else has a better recommendation. I've heard it's ideal for engine components to go OEM from a longevity perspective but that might just be people with brand preference. It might be a loaded question like asking which oil is best but I figured I would see if there were any brands to specifically avoid.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Plus riding sand usually requires higher revs unless you get a paddle. If I'm shopping for a used bike, I would much prefer one that hasn't been in the dunes.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah, I grew up racing and riding BMX. Was always comfortable on two wheels. I thought it might help when I got a dirt bike. Not really. You understand some things but it's such a different beast in terms of power, weight etc that comparing the two is very difficult.

Someone who rides dirt bikes can probably jump on a mountain bike and be successful without much prior experience. The other way around, not so much.

Verman fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 30, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I have a full tote of Lycra cycling apparel.

I once thought about wearing cycling bibs under my dirt bike pants.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

ChocNitty posted:

And at the beginning of the tour, when we were riding on road to get to the trail, after I got a hang of the shifting, I sped up and passed the guide.

:stare:

ChocNitty posted:

He got pissed.

Let me get this straight. You have zero experience on a motorcycle, specifically dirt bikes. You hired a guide to take you on a ride. You learned how to shift on the way to the trail. You then thought it was beneficial to pass the guide as a sign of "I got it, I'm better now"?

ChocNitty posted:

I tried explaining to him that I wasn't trying to show off, and that I was trying to let him know that I'm ready to start going faster.

If you were just learning how to shift a motorcycle, you are not going to be ready to go faster in one short ride, especially at the beginning of a guided ride, on an unfamiliar route. You felt comfortable gaining speed but you have no idea how to hard stop or make an evasive maneuver if a situation came up. A guide likely has a legal and moral responsibility for those he's guiding. The last thing they want are arrogant tourists who think they're suddenly graham jarvis after getting bored of staying in 3rd gear for a few miles on pavement to suddenly zoom past them. Overconfidence kills experienced motorcyclists on a daily basis. You claimed you didn't have any experience, you just learned how to shift the bike on the ride to the trail, pass the guide, trying to show him you feel confident, and then crashed on the trail claiming it was irresponsible of him to claim it was easier than it was and you were in too far over your head.

Man. I'm really not trying to pile on here but I can see why this guy was frustrated. He wants to go out, show people around on bikes, not have anybody die, get paid and go home. Think of how many times he's probably had people who think they know what they're doing and then they crash, wreck the bike or themselves, and now its a whole thing.

I was in Croatia a few years ago and my wife and I met up with one of her friends who claimed she rides scooters around europe all the time and we should rent some to get to the other side of this island. The rental house was very insistent on us knowing how to use the scooters. My wifes friend insisted it would be fine and the rental agent said they don't have good hospitals on the island and it would be a huge deal if we wrecked. My wifes friend kept on. They asked us to prove our proficiency. We had to take it off the stand and ride it around the parking lot to make sure we knew how to ride them. I took it off the stand, did a few figure 8s in the gravel lot and came to a stop. The agent was happy. My wife's friend got on it and struggled to get it off the stand, nearly crashed into a parked car in the parking lot and low speed dumped it in a bit of gravel when trying to turn, and whiskey throttled in the process. I looked at the rental agent and told her to forget about us renting as my wifes friend was going to kill herself. We just went to a nearby beach and this friend kept saying how rude the rental agent was. Don't be that person.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Thanks, the forest is so loving large and theres so much riding I dont know where to start.

E: Related, any advice from the thread on hitch racks? I've got a canopy on my truck and need a way to get my bike out there.

I got the steel black widow for my 4runner and Wr250 and it works great. I used locktite on the bolts and check them every now and then but they never move. Get a hitch tightener and it's much better for far less wobble. I always put a fork saver on there and my bike feels more secure, it won't bounce too much during big dips on the highway. I also keep the ramp in the car vs on the rack. I would hear it move around or rattle over bumps and the sound made me too nervous.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I have no problems with my hitch rack and Wr250f but I've got a 4th gen 4 runner and class 3 hitch, and a wr is pretty small/light.

Even that small of a bike does cause my front end to lift a little though. It floats a little on the highway. It's incredible what 300lbs over your year axle will do to change your handling. I don't recommend going 90 on a bumpy highway or anything but I've never had issues. I loctited all the nuts and check them every time I use the hitch rack.

Also, a hitch tightener is crucial. It makes it infinitely more stable and secure. Stops the wobble. I've seen some hitches that are really loose, others pretty snug but the tightener makes everything very secure.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Stand up, grip your bike with your feet, legs, and knees and loosen your grip on on the bars.

If the terrain is forcing you to grip your bars that tight to where you're whiskey throttling, you're either leaning too forward and putting too much pressure on your hands, or you're panic gripping. When you get knocked off balance, you're using your hands to balance and that ends up playing with your throttle. On dirtbikes, if you can stand in an attack position squeezing your bike, you should be able to let go of your bars without falling forward or backwards. Thats typically a good sign of being well positioned but an ADV bike might be different given the seat height and ergonomics of the bike.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah, there are certain kinds of spots that are troublesome. It's usually on uneven inclines. It suddenly makes your 37" stand over 45" and you can't touch ... That's when you get the slow tip over. The worst is if you're on a hill and your bike wants to fall high side down the hill vs into the upside of the hill. That's a much longer fall and will likely throw you with it.

Or you anticipate the bike to fall one way and you step over that way, but then it falls the opposite and you just let it go. Dirt bikes fall over.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Cross post from the motorcycle thread.

Finally bit the bullet and started my top end rebuild on my wr250. I've never done engine work besides checking and shimming valves so this should be fun. I'm using Rocky mountain ATVs video as a guide because they use a very similar bike and it's very detailed.

Umm. These lines on the mating surface can't be great. I'm genuinely curious what the gently caress happened there. It doesn't leak so I'll leave it alone but still... :stare:

I knew it had been rebuilt at one point because the engine bolts were worn. When I opened it, I saw a wiseco connecting rod.

The cylinder looks very clean with some cross hatching still, no obvious other imperfections. The piston has a bunch of crusty carbon on top but otherwise pretty clean. The rings are in good shape, nothing missing. No metal bits. It's better than I would've thought. I was very happy to feel there wasn't any vertical play in the connecting rod bearing.

I need to break down the valves/springs/seats to replace the valves but I need a valve tool.

5 titanium valves ... My poor wallet.

Oh and I straightened my radiator only to drop a screwdriver and create a pinhole leak. Fuuuck.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
That's by far the least offensive ktm gear I've ever seen. It doesn't look like you're going to a construction site or ama supercross series. I like how a lot of brands are doing their off-road gear in more subdued colors and styles now.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Thankfully it wasn't a new husky or you might be replacing the whole composite subframe.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yeah gently caress that (not you, those trails in general). The Cascades have a lot of very gnarly trails all over and most of them are very far away from civilization.
I've done a few of these in Jeeps.

Narrowneck Gap near Rimrock: https://youtu.be/_RFPmwm_qg0?si=u6UMprs_DMH33Vrf

Pucker Ridge, also Rimrock: https://youtu.be/GwyJHmhPzfg?si=46w6Z9q5xrAZzmbb

I've tried riding Naches Pass Trail on a dirt bike and couldn't hack it on steep rocky sections.

I too live in washington and I've heard so many horror stories about people riding this stuff. We have so much steep alpine terrain around here which creates a lot of exposure and challenging obstacles. There are people every year who donate bikes, or more, to mother nature. I like riding, and hiking, but I'm always a bit nervous about getting too far out into crazy terrain. When guys talk about gettin 30-50 miles in, I try to think about the walk out. After you've been riding all day, in moto gear. What happens if something happens to your bike and you need to hoof it out. 20 miles in? Thats likely going to be two days walk in uncomfortable footwear, let alone if you're injured. Do you have enough food or water for that? Dumb little things can happen so easily which can turn an afternoon ride into a survival situation. Most of those areas don't have cell reception so a beacon isn't a bad idea.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
The crf is the most annoying naming scheme. But they make great bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Funny story, went to take the ktm exc300 for a spin around the block before I try to sell it. It hasn't been ridden in a few years. My buddy rode it once or twice and was terrified of it and it's been sitting in my garage since.

It started right up and I decided to take it around the neighborhood. I got on and put it into gear. I think the clutch plates must have been stuck together because I had a fun little spin out when I shifted and turned out of my driveway. I laughed it off and picked the bike up and walked it back. I probably should have checked it first. Pulling the clutch in didn't let the bike roll while in gear so that's my theory. I guess I'll take a look at it this weekend.