Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UFS207
Oct 29, 2005
State: Alabama

Riding: Off and on since I was a kid (mid to late 90's). Didn't get "serious" about it until maybe 6 years ago. Have run a few Hare Scrambles and did pretty poorly.

Bike: 2001 KX125 with a KDX220 motor swap. Google "KDX hybrid", they are actually a fairly common build. I found detailed instructions for the swap over at kdxrider.net.

Terrain: Hardpack (red clay), rocks and sand in thick southern pine/deciduous forests. Singletrack preferred but I also enjoy the faster quad-width trails. Quite a few places to legally ride at both private clubs and ORV parks in the talladega national forest. Southerners are cool like that.

Bonus pic of the last harescramble I ran before tearing down my KDX220 to build the hybrid (DNF'd; note the popped rear and hand-me-down riding get up):

VTNewb: How you like your gas gas? There's a local dealer near me that has a few leftover '10 and '11's for sale. They have a 2011 EC 250 marked down to the point I'm somewhat tempted.

Never read anything bad about the bikes overall other than they can be difficult to source parts for and are a little cramped for taller riders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFS207
Oct 29, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

How do you like the hybrid? I have a beat up KDX200 and have been toying with the idea of building a hybrid. Going to be that or a KTM 200 I think.

I'm enjoying it. You lose close to 15lbs going with a '99 to '02 KX125 chassis, have a lower center of gravity and gain a stiffer frame with infinitely better suspension (after revalving and respringing). I did a fork swap on my KDX220 a couple years before building the hybrid (46mm KYB's off a '01 CR125) and even then the hybrid was noticeably more stable everywhere and easier to toss around. Another plus is you can set the clickers on the stiff side and still have fun on a motocross track.

I'm not too sure how much sense it makes to build one any more considering how good the modern euro-smokers are now though. I really liked my KDX, managed to score a cheap, blown-up KX125 and had free access to all the equipment needed (work in a machine shop) so it made sense to me personally.

lovely cell phone pic of my hybrid (ignore the stock KDX silencer):

VTNewb posted:

The GasGas had the worst set-up suspension out of the box I've ever ridden. Really.

Thanks for the info. Would the standard EC 250 model be any better stock? From what I understand it comes with sachs front and rear while the sixdays 200-300 comes with 45mm Marzocchi's and an Öhlins shock. If I was to drop the cash on a brandnew bike it would be quite sometime before I was forking out $700-$1000 to rework the suspension.