Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
you *might* make it through no problem... got something to hook to on the front? I don't want to rip a bumper off or something.

And old Chevies are badass.

I'll try to remember to take some pics on my way through tonight. Taking a drive down to Jersey City and back, so I'll be on my way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

kastein posted:

you *might* make it through no problem... got something to hook to on the front? I don't want to rip a bumper off or something.

And old Chevies are badass.

I'll try to remember to take some pics on my way through tonight. Taking a drive down to Jersey City and back, so I'll be on my way through.

I'm watching some dudes build a motorcycle from scratch across the street here. One of the dudes has a lifted red Cherokee with a roof rack, super swampers and black American Racing steelies. That's not you, is it? That poo poo would be ridiculous.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Nope. I have a red XJ but it's stock height, with stock size bald tires, and a serious gangsta lean...

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Slow is Fast posted:

aka waiting for slow is fast to come do it for you :)

That reminds me.

Do you know any place I can do this that ISN'T my crooked hosed up driveway?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Where are the best winding dirt roads? The backroad leading out of Team O'Neil school were really really fun to drive. You had to be 100% on top of your car control even at 30mph. The only problem is that it's like 3hrs from me.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Where are the best winding dirt roads? The backroad leading out of Team O'Neil school were really really fun to drive. You had to be 100% on top of your car control even at 30mph. The only problem is that it's like 3hrs from me.

There are some insanely amazing long dirt roads around Mount Washington. The whole area is like one giant dirt gymkhana course.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

commissargribb posted:

That reminds me.

Do you know any place I can do this that ISN'T my crooked hosed up driveway?

We can use my folks garage. Start soaking all the bolts with PB blaster for a month straight.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Slow is Fast posted:

We can use my folks garage. Start soaking all the bolts with PB blaster for a month straight.

Can do.

edit: need to get more. I had enough to do the eight lower shackle bolts though which I'm assuming will be the problem bits. I'm pretty close to just going and buying a set of 8 new ones and not even worrying about it.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 17, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

alright. I have run the "fun route" several times in the last few days, it's starting to dry up, the last of the ice melted about a week ago. I made it through with my MJ with half a cord of firewood in the bed in 2wd today. The 67 should make it fine unless you have street tires on it... and even then, only one mudhole will be a problem, and that's what I have a 20 foot snatch strap for.

ACEofsnett, this guy?

Spotted in the Ocean State / Big Y parking lot on 131 a few days ago.

As opposed to my red turd:

Spotted in front of the Advance Auto Parts in the same strip mall, emptying my wallet even further...

The weather's getting nice now, and I'm spending as much time as I can cleaning the yard up and fixing various issues with my insane automobiles, so hopefully this can actually happen sometime... also cutting and splitting a ton of wood so as soon as it dries out a bit, a bonfire is required.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
If we have the meet at your place, hopefully my POS is running. It makes it most places jeeps and stuff go...

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

chrisgt posted:

If we have the meet at your place, hopefully my POS is running. It makes it most places jeeps and stuff go...

I am not flat towing you back from mass, fyi

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Should we start trying to come up with a date, or a month even?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Slow is Fast posted:

I am not flat towing you back from mass, fyi

I've broken every part of the drive line, and most of the suspension at one point or another. And either had a spare, got a spare, or drove it home broken.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Opensourcepirate posted:

might be a good idea. Anything works for me, with a week or two of notice.

chrisgt, that is drat impressive. My hat is off to you.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

kastein posted:

:words:
ACEofsnett, this guy?

Yeah, that's the one that's always parked across the street here. You notice how horrible the whole area around Big-Y smells yet?

Opensourcepirate posted:

Yeah, this would be great. Then I would have time to get my '91 4WD running right again. Which I've been trying to do for 4 years, off and on, using the shotgun method.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

might be a good idea. Anything works for me, with a week or two of notice.

chrisgt, that is drat impressive. My hat is off to you.

I'm thinking once it warms up. We'll have at least a month of notice. May/June?

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Wait, so is this meet going to take place off some crazy gravel road full of mud holes? My Cobalt SS won't make it through that. :(

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

kastein posted:

ACEofsnett, this guy?

Spotted in the Ocean State / Big Y parking lot on 131 a few days ago.

I was in the same parking lot today, I couldn't help but take this. This dude must work at Advance Auto or something. The rusty POS with CT antique plates is mine.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

kastein posted:

alright. I have run the "fun route" several times in the last few days, it's starting to dry up, the last of the ice melted about a week ago. I made it through with my MJ with half a cord of firewood in the bed in 2wd today. The 67 should make it fine unless you have street tires on it... and even then, only one mudhole will be a problem, and that's what I have a 20 foot snatch strap for.

Its got skinny street tires but I'll just throw an engine block or something in the back to help out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

ACEofsnett posted:

Yeah, that's the one that's always parked across the street here. You notice how horrible the whole area around Big-Y smells yet?

Yeah, this would be great. Then I would have time to get my '91 4WD running right again. Which I've been trying to do for 4 years, off and on, using the shotgun method.

Smells like Southbridge :toot:

What's wrong with it? I don't know my rear end from my elbow on Toyotas but I am decent with electronics, if it's some kind of electrical gremlin.

Slow is Fast posted:

I'm thinking once it warms up. We'll have at least a month of notice. May/June?

I dunno about you but I was sweating my balls off cutting and splitting firewood today. Had to be at least 70. Anytime works for me as long as I have a little notice so I can make the place (start out looking) like less of a bomb crater.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Wait, so is this meet going to take place off some crazy gravel road full of mud holes? My Cobalt SS won't make it through that. :(

No worries. Just derailing the thread to discuss the "fun way" from Connecticut into Southbridge - there are plenty of paved roads that go around it (including simply staying on i84 till the first exit in Mass instead of getting off at the last exit in CT.) I use the dirt road into the back side of my property but first, a lowered Audi can make it through there (been done), and second, there is about a mile of mostly empty parking along both sides of the paved street in front of the house, I just don't use it.

ACEofsnett posted:

I was in the same parking lot today, I couldn't help but take this. This dude must work at Advance Auto or something. The rusty POS with CT antique plates is mine.

Interesting. I wonder if it's the guy that laughed at/with me for needing a replacement spindle washer for my dodge van Friday... protip: spindle nuts don't get torqued anywhere near as much as axleshafts going through unit bearings :downs:

For reference, here is the worst mudhole on the "fun way" into town right now:

Wheel ruts are about 10" deep I'd estimate, my diff definitely dragged on the crown.

kastein fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 19, 2012

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
oh poo poo another amazing day.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I'm putting on my summer tires tonight.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
You will cause it to snow by doing that..

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I was just talking to my grandma last night and she was at her boyfriend's lake house in Voluntown sitting outside enjoying the 70F temperatures.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I had to drive my tractor to a customers house today 6 miles each way and it was the best thing ever.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Billy Tully posted:

I had to drive my tractor to a customers house today 6 miles each way and it was the best thing ever.

I miss wheeling my friend's tractor in the woods behind my house :(

It was a little (like, two people could pick it up, lawn tractor size) 5 horse from the mid 50s with baby ag tires on it and a 3 speed manual transmission. It'd climb a 45 degree incline with ease if you could keep your foot on the clutch, if you couldn't, it would happily flip over backwards onto you when you got your foot back on the clutch in terror while sliding down the hill backwards. No brakes, no seatbelt, no muffler, no clutch-belt shield, no sanity. If you were going downhill you needed to be in first gear for engine braking purposes, and had to remember to periodically kick the sprocket back onto the output shaft of the transmission so it wouldn't come off, leaving you with no engine braking and no normal braking either. Every single time that happened, an emergency "rollover/pray/jump" was executed a few seconds later.

So when are we having this shindig? I'm gonna tentatively put it down for some weekend in April or May... I am busy 4/15, 5/20, 5/26-28 but any other weekend works. (all of those are wheeling runs with my club - if anyone wants to join, we can discuss it during the blow-poo poo-up event)

Basically my weekends are entirely devoted to working on the house, jeeps, and wheeling, so if I'm not wheeling, I'll be at the house and can drop projects for this, pick a weekend and I'll clear my calendar.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

You will cause it to snow by doing that..

TOO LATE THEY'RE ON.

Also does anyone want to buy a set of 17" Yokohama S.Drives? The rears have 9/32 and the fronts are ~5/32, I'm swapping them out for Direzzas.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

So when are we having this shindig? I'm gonna tentatively put it down for some weekend in April or May... I am busy 4/15, 5/20, 5/26-28 but any other weekend works. (all of those are wheeling runs with my club - if anyone wants to join, we can discuss it during the blow-poo poo-up event)

April 21st or May 12th?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Either of those works for me AFAIK. As long as I can get there in my low ground clearance FWD sissy car

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Both of those work for me.

No problems getting here, you'll just want to park out front probably instead of out back. We'll likely run out of space out back anyways.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

kastein posted:

So, I think I managed to find this trail you're talking about today. Is the entrance down that dead end road by the abandoned Bolles dealership? I went down one of the roads there and ended up in some kind of logging base camp. (Got this truck covered in mud for the first time ever, heh) The other option was a little too rocky for my tiny truck to handle, so I decided to continue from whence I came.

As for my other truck, I have no idea what the problem is, really. I've been working on it for years off and on. What started as a random hard miss has evolved into the truck randomly not having any spark, which leads to being stranded, which has lead to it sitting at my dad's house instead of at my house. That's actually how I ended up buying the '86 that I have. I cashed in some securities so that I could have a daily driver again, as the E30 almost never leaves home.

So far I've replaced the igniter, distributor, plugs and wires, (twice) cap and rotor (twice) ECU solenoid, MAF, installed a full MSD setup and more, all to no avail. I recently bought a used ECU off ebay, along with a replacement ignition switch wiring harness.

Hopefully that's the end of it, but this truck has been a living hell, so I doubt it will ever end. Even if I do solve the issue, I've probably burned a few valves from the random lean running. gently caress I just want to go off road again :(

Here she is in happier times, somewhere up an atv trail in Wallingford.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

ACEofsnett posted:

So, I think I managed to find this trail you're talking about today. Is the entrance down that dead end road by the abandoned Bolles dealership? I went down one of the roads there and ended up in some kind of logging base camp. (Got this truck covered in mud for the first time ever, heh) The other option was a little too rocky for my tiny truck to handle, so I decided to continue from whence I came.

As for my other truck, I have no idea what the problem is, really. I've been working on it for years off and on. What started as a random hard miss has evolved into the truck randomly not having any spark, which leads to being stranded, which has lead to it sitting at my dad's house instead of at my house. That's actually how I ended up buying the '86 that I have. I cashed in some securities so that I could have a daily driver again, as the E30 almost never leaves home.

So far I've replaced the igniter, distributor, plugs and wires, (twice) cap and rotor (twice) ECU solenoid, MAF, installed a full MSD setup and more, all to no avail. I recently bought a used ECU off ebay, along with a replacement ignition switch wiring harness.

Hopefully that's the end of it, but this truck has been a living hell, so I doubt it will ever end. Even if I do solve the issue, I've probably burned a few valves from the random lean running. gently caress I just want to go off road again :(

Here she is in happier times, somewhere up an atv trail in Wallingford.

Close. I think I know what you're talking about, careful back there (i.e. look the hell out), the owners of the place to the left (where you were) are known to be there occasionally with guns. My club has explicit permission to be on that side, apparently one of the owners knows one of the guys in my club - but they really don't like strangers.

The owners of the place to the right (signed, gated, etc) have actually been known to take shots at people instead of just acting menacing. One of my friends took a wrong turn on the middle path and got lost back there and had to do some real fast talking.

The one to the middle, when you follow the right path, is an old public road and brings you into Southbridge. That's the one I'm talking about.

There has been a lot of illegal dumping off the sides of the middle path over the last few years. I've been slowly dragging out what I can and bringing it to the dump because I hate looking at all that crap. My bet is that the owners to the left and right are unfriendly because of the illegal dumping.

EDIT: it sounds like a wiring harness issue to me. If it's not that, maybe your CPS is marginal?

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 20, 2012

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Turns out the guy that lived next door to me here in North Granby has been dead since '91 or so.

The town just got ownership of his property and went through and cut down all the brush and stuff in his "driveway" and started clearing out the old livery stable in the back he was using as a garage. I was greeted to the sight of at least a dozen old decaying Packards and Lincolns including a V12 Zephyr when I got home from work this afternoon. I didn't even know there was anything there besides woods. :stare:

It's taking all my willpower to not go through and strip the place bare. The garage would make the American Pickers guys drool.

Edit: Hahaha there's a Mustang II buried in there.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 20, 2012

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Slow is Fast posted:

April 21st or May 12th?

I can't do April 21st because of my cousins wedding but May 12th is good.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I think I can do May 12th, also Muffinpox I might want those tires. Can you tell me the size and how much you might want for them?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Opensourcepirate posted:

I think I can do May 12th, also Muffinpox I might want those tires. Can you tell me the size and how much you might want for them?

215/45/17 fronts and 245/40/17 rears. I'll double check their depths but I'd say $150 for the rears and $50 for the fronts?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

well, some slightly depressing news. There will be no bonfire. The police and fire department showed up for one I had tonight... and the sad part? It was "only" about 8 feet tall. I'm not sure how they missed the 30 foot fires and explosions but noticed the 8 foot fire. Oh well, nothing to be done about it now.

Everything else is still on.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Anyone else have an opinion on May 12th?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

kastein posted:

well, some slightly depressing news. There will be no bonfire. The police and fire department showed up for one I had tonight... and the sad part? It was "only" about 8 feet tall. I'm not sure how they missed the 30 foot fires and explosions but noticed the 8 foot fire. Oh well, nothing to be done about it now.

Everything else is still on.

drat, that sucks. Couldn't you talk to the fire chief in town and see if you could get a one day permit or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

My April is shot to hell now. May 12th all day 'errry day.

Also, it sucks that Kastein got busted by THE MAN :(

• Locked thread