Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Connecticut checking in. I heard there was gonna be beer at this thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

We should definitely do the Summer Nats even on the not blowing up stuff day. Also, this thread has given me ambition to work on the 67 Chevy today. Changing the intake gaskets right now cause we need a loud, fast and old pickup if we are gonna drink beer and blow stuff up the right way.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Nice, I live like 15 minutes away from Marks and go all the time. I'll let you know when I'm going.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

kastein posted:

I'm down. Hell, meet me just off the last exit on 84 in CT and I'll show you the "fun way" into town.

(lowered rides and those with less than 8-10" of ground clearance need not apply)

I may take you up on this with the 67. Its uncontrollable in the rain on pavement, am I sure to get stuck? ACEofsnett, you and your girl are welcome to ride along if you want to get pulled out with the 5 ton with me.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

kastein posted:

67 what? I forget what you drive somehow... tires? body clearance?

Chevy pickup 2WD, suspension is all stock and it sits really high. Problem is the wood bed is all rotted out and might as well be made of styrofoam peanuts as far as weight over the rear tires goes. If it makes the trip to Stafford in the next day or two I might bring it, I haven't been more than like 10 miles from my house with it yet.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

ACEofsnett posted:

Hah, at least poor Kastein there will be busy all day, pulling out a series of hard stuck 2wd trucks.

That's the 2wd C10, isn't it? Reminds me, you should post some pics of how that beast looks now, I'm curious to see the direction you're taking it in.

It still looks the same. I didn't work on it over the winter because I was fixing up my shop. Now I'm just fixing all the little things I hadn't gotten to yet like fine tuning the carb, getting the brakes adjusted better, cleaning up electrical connections and stuff like that.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

kastein posted:

alright. I have run the "fun route" several times in the last few days, it's starting to dry up, the last of the ice melted about a week ago. I made it through with my MJ with half a cord of firewood in the bed in 2wd today. The 67 should make it fine unless you have street tires on it... and even then, only one mudhole will be a problem, and that's what I have a 20 foot snatch strap for.

Its got skinny street tires but I'll just throw an engine block or something in the back to help out.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I had to drive my tractor to a customers house today 6 miles each way and it was the best thing ever.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Slow is Fast posted:

April 21st or May 12th?

I can't do April 21st because of my cousins wedding but May 12th is good.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

kastein posted:

well, some slightly depressing news. There will be no bonfire. The police and fire department showed up for one I had tonight... and the sad part? It was "only" about 8 feet tall. I'm not sure how they missed the 30 foot fires and explosions but noticed the 8 foot fire. Oh well, nothing to be done about it now.

Everything else is still on.

drat, that sucks. Couldn't you talk to the fire chief in town and see if you could get a one day permit or something?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh, that's still cool. Campfire size is good. I thought you wouldn't be able to have one at all.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I'm thinking about having a wrench day for you guys at my place sometime this summer and we can shoot guns here if you really want to.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I can definitely find some small engines to blow up, both 2 and 4 stroke. If someone brings the gallium we can put it on the aluminum heads and see how gnarly that will be. If anyone has any nitrous bottles hanging around we should try that on some of the blow up engines also.

For food do we want to just do a potluck, roast a pig or chip in and get a bunch of pizza or something? I'll also bring beer, can't be running out of that for sure.

e: I have vag-com for any VW/Audi guys that show up. Let me know if you want me to bring it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh yea, I have a huge charcoal grill I can bring. Its one of the half-smoker kind.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Stick to #newenglandai guys, #ai is busy enough as it is.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Dammit, I sold my Eclipse!

No worries dude, we got the oxide covered living in New England and all.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

ACEofsnett posted:

A drunken learning experience is still a learning experience, we had fun and that's all that matters.

As an aside, Kastein and Pipkin / Billy Tully are cool guys IRL, for anyone who might be wondering.

To keep updated on the upcoming event, for those of you not on IRC (synirc.net #newenglandai) The facebook group is @ http://www.facebook.com/groups/140031832792118/

Yea, that was fun. For some reason (we forgot) we didn't buy a scale when we were at HF getting the magnesium, weren't even drunk yet either. Here is the video of the trial thermite run. Sorry about my dumb laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o91xCu6YEU&feature=youtu.be

For those of you that don't normally hang out in IRC and dont have a client just go to mibbit, launch app and put irc.synirc.net in the part that says "server" and #newenglandai in the part that says "channel". Come hang out, we don't bite all that much.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Opensourcepirate posted:

I really need to flush my brake fluid. Does anyone have a power bleeder they can bring and/or want to help me do it?

I just did mine last week on the GTI. Ill bring the bleeder along and help you out. Start putting PB Blaster or something on the bleeders right now so they don't break off like last time.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Pick me up a sohc EJ25 if you are going to be stocking up on parts on the way down. I'll pay you in beer.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Had to pull the trans out of my friends truck last night. We spent all last winter building a nasty small block for it and the trans failed on the way over to my house and I still haven't gotten to hear it run :(

We are most likely going to rebuild it ourselves and if so I'll post the pictures of the magic and voodoo that we take out and put back in. Its a TH350 so it should be easy.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Its a diesel too so its like a super hipster fix. Of course it was my PBR can :smith:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So I got the engine out of my new used Forester on Saturday and then Ace and kastein came over a little later and tore it apart. Actually kastein took it apart while Ace and I watched and drank beer. If anyone hasn't seen it yet this is what the engine sounded like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4MR9cAMHqE

This bearing is so bad it became one with the crank

The one with copper showing on the bottom is almost normal compared to the one on top thats been pounded out the sides :psyduck:

I wonder how long the previous owners were driving it with a knock. Seems like a lot of damage for the maybe 5 minutes total that I ran it to move it around.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I cant do the 8th either but the rest of September looks ok. I can host it here at my place if need be. I have plenty of places to park/camp and garage space for 3-4 cars for wrenchin'.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Just FYI to all the NE dudes, there's a bunch of events going on at NHMS, weekend after this one

http://www.nhms.com/schedule/

My shop will be running a CB350 in some of the USCRA races. The multi-events like this one with the vintage cars and the racing are usually lots of fun to hang out at.

We should also do this, vintage racing kicks rear end. They don't allow tent camping at the track but we could look for a place to stay near there.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

PM or email me at timothy_volkswagen at yahoo for my address for this weekend. Just don't puke in my house, be really goony or make a lot of noise when driving in town or on my street. I think what we have planned is a giant turbo/small engine activity of which we have many small engines to torture.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea if its only gonna be the 6-10 of us we can hang out in the shop and play beer pong and y'all can help me pull the TDI out of the jetta :getin:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh yea, I have a turkey fryer and propane. If anyone wants to bring oil and stuff to fry we can do that too. The weather has now changed to no rain and that would be awesome but :newengland:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

commissargribb posted:

The rust kills quickly and reliably. It's the source of our insanity and simultaneously the only thing that keeps us supplied with new parts.

That and horrible accidents.

Rust wasn't killing opensourcepirates car fast enough, its been like 2-3 years and I've been pouring salt water on his shock towers at every GTG.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

For anyone coming tomorrow I have a SBC 350 block and heads that is free for the taking. Also a TH350 (missing some parts) and 700R4 (complete), I just want them out of my way.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

How much did he get it for?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Ace and I blowing up an airbag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90LgiLm__rE

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Only 2 hours for me and Hillridges place sounds awesome.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Black88GTA posted:

I've driven a car there. Guess you haven't. :smug:

This is pretty drat good.

schmagekie posted:

I got one shortly after the meet at kastein's. Love it.
I'm ~15 mins from Nashua, so I'll try to make it to the next.

Nice! I'm the resident TDI nerd and I approve of this post.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Opensourcepirate posted:

What does that make me?

You missed dyno day :colbert:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I'm planning on going also, want to try that Kart.

e: haha, thats the perfect picture for the event. I'll bring that turbo along too since it actually belongs to kastein.

e2: also did my first Rallyx last weekend. Totally hooked and the next one is in Epping NH and everyone should do it. Thanks to Ace for the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1M-OiWOQvc

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 15, 2013

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Wojcigitty posted:

I am located very near to this event. How likely am I to break something on a stock 2000 Legacy wagon?

I didn't break anything on my stock 99 Forester with 186k though kimbo says Epping has more ruts :ohdear:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Pictures from this weeks shenanigans.

Chris and I getting teched

Rallycross is the funnest poo poo ever.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

chrisgt posted:

Tim/Pipkin/Billy Tully's house afaik.

Yep!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Im signing up tomorrow when I get paid. The Fozzy has been kinda cranky lately and I think this weekend is when I might break something :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Regged for rallyx at the last minute, almost missed it!

• Locked thread