Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Long Island here. Looks like it's about 175ish miles for me. I might be up for coming out, depending on how many pieces my main car is in when this get-drunk-and-blow-poo poo-up fest actually happens. It's scheduled for surgery pretty soon. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
^^I'd be down for BDUs as well^^

Still not 100% sure I'll be able to make it, but I'm going to try drat it. I am sadly rather low on things to contribute for the destructofest, except for a rusty gutted SVX door we could put thermite on / hit with hammers / run over with the muddin trucks / just loving blow up. Buuut, it won't fit in my rather useless car. :saddowns: Hopefully I'll able to take care of my poo poo lifter by then but if not, y'all are gonna get to see it as a clacking hoopty with no engine plastics and peeling valve covers! :haw: I hope it's done by then

My car can fit tons of beer in it though, so I'll bring that at least, and maybe some stuff to grill up too - if I can figure out a way to ensure lack of rottenness by the time I arrive, that is. I'm thinking it'll take me somewhere between 3 - 4 hours driving.

Question - I know we've got a date, but has a general let's-get-this-poo poo-started time been figured out yet? I assume most people don't want to be that guy who shows up 2 hours ahead of schedule and awkwardly sits around while the host / hostess tries to get everything in order.

Also - I have a friend who's not an AI'er but would love the poo poo out of everything being discussed ITT and doesn't get to do any of it out here. Can we bring non-AI'ers? :ohdear: It would just be the 2 of us, since I don't know any small children or double amputees that would be able to fit in my back seats for more than 3 minutes.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Slow is Fast posted:

ChrisGT is crashing at my place tonight.

I imagine we'll get to mass around 10-11ish and hit up some junkyards till the afternoon?

And then I'll start drinking and wanna finish comissargribbs stupid Jeep.

Once I get drunkenly board of that I expect to haul the seized up block out of ChrisGT's trunk and fill it with thermite.

Seeing a theme here? I'm bringing down two cases of beer lets make this poo poo poppin :colbert:

I'll see your two cases of beer, and raise you two more! :smug: I picked up variety pack 12'ers from Saranac, Brooklyn Brewery and Blue Point, along with something called Mariachi :confused: Idk, it was $8 for a 12 pack and apparently is a South American Corona knockoff.

Also, I realized I have a large case diff out of my BMW that I don't want and can't seem to give away. It's the big 210mm ring gear unit that only fits E31s and E32s, and is an open 2.93 grandma gear diff that everyone swaps out for a 3:15 LS or a 3:64 - so, even though it's in perfect operating condition, it's basically worthless. If I can fit it in my trunk, I'll try to bring it so we can do poo poo with it. Like connect the input shaft to some kind of motor and put things in the gears, or put Thermite on it, or make the AIest blender, etc. All dependent on if I can fit it in my car though, it's not exactly a haulin stuff type of vehicle.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Slow is Fast posted:

This works out well. I'll be bringing variety packs from our local breweries, so anything I can try that's new will be awesome.

That was my thought too, I wanted to bring some stuff from NY micros since it may not be readily available up that way. Not sure where Saranac comes from and I'm too lazy to google it or go downstairs to look, but Brooklyn (obviously) and Blue Point are local and awesome.

I thought about bringing up a 30 of Genny Light in case beer pong was happening, but then I realized it is swill (although local swill).

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Slow is Fast posted:

Can you get yuengling? Bring a case of that for me to bring back to maine!

Yuengling is like Bud Light out here. It's (almost) that common, although a billion times better. I could grab a case of it before I head up, assuming I don't forget.

What is Gritty's? I would not be opposed to an exchange type of deal...

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Videos!

Weed wacker and acetylene, complete with fuckin awesome backfires!
http://youtu.be/Z4fQ6LfjLvY

I'm pretty sure this was the last time it ran. It still spun pretty freely by hand after it cooled down though. Tough little bastard :3:
http://youtu.be/4ZORwYoDd30

e: I can't seem to get them to embed properly, so you're stuck with URLs :saddowns:

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 13, 2012

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I'd be in to meet up again. At the moment, I don't think I have any set plans all September, although I rarely make plans that far out so this is not surprising.

Provided I can make it on whatever weekend / location is decided, I can bring more Yuengling :v:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
As I enjoyed the destruction show last time, I'd grab some powdered aluminum / iron oxide if I had the slightest idea where to get it locally. I don't think Amazon would get it here in time. I didn't even think of it until reading Ace's post. :doh:

I can, however bring beer! :haw: I'll be coming up from Long Island, which (I think) makes me the southernmost AI'er in attendance. Anyone have beer requests? I plan on getting at least one 12er of Yuengling already, plus maybe some other stuff.

Is Gritty's Maine beer? I liked the case I got last time :saddowns:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Ozmiander posted:

I can have my picture taken with REAL breasts?!

Pinup girls usually /= real breasts. :colbert:

I checked Michael's and JoAnn fabrics, neither place had iron oxide. Going to keep looking. I'm a bit worried that the weather is going to be poo poo - if we get rained on, maybe we could set up a table in the garage and have the AIest beer pong tournament :haw:

or the AIest wet t-shirt contest if the pinup girls come

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Slow is Fast posted:

I have airbags to set off. It's going to be cold in March which will make building redneck contraptions while intoxicated difficult because I don't want to pass out in the back of a vehicle and actually you know freeze to death.

Also, join us in IRC. We have a good time

I have a half working car stereo we can overvolt and a grill we can pack with explosives :haw:

I'll have to sneak on IRC one of these days, can't do that while I'm stealthposting at work though :ninja:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Hillridge posted:

I'm still open to hosting something at my hackerspace in Nashua if you guys don't want to wait until spring time. It's heated, there's a 9000lbs Rotary lift, a CNC plasma cutter, MIG, TIG, Mills, Lathes, 3D printer, lots of other tools, and most importantly, two taps built into a fire hydrant and fed from a dedicated beer fridge.

We can fit a car on the lift, and 2-4 more inside depending on the level of clutter. We're out by a train yard, so no neighbors to annoy and no one really cares what we do.

SwashedBuckles - All members get access to the lift, so if it's not too far for you it may be worth it.

Stuff like the tool list and photos needs to be updated, but here's our website:
http://makeitlabs.com

Sounds awesome, but

:stonk:

Uh, put me down as a maybe :frogbon:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

chrisgt posted:

Oh come on.... My drive to Bill Tully's house for the last meetup.

Not to mention I took an hour detour to pick Terrance up.

My drive to kastein's house is like 3:45, I just suck it up.

But but my mpgs :negative:

Ahh, screw it I'll be there assuming I don't have anything going on on whatever day it ends up being. Don't think I have much going on in January, so there's that.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

I've driven a car there. Guess you haven't. :smug:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

commissargribb posted:

Since when did New England include so many Mid-Atlantic states?

Ozmiander is an honorary member.

I may have taken some liberties with the graphic to include New York. :colbert: And it would have looked weird without PA on there. I like to think of it as North East AI anyways :3:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I saw this on the website:

quote:

After the people, one of the greatest resources we have at MakeIt is the shelving full of “junk” and parts, free for any members to pillage for projects. Many of these treasures were scavenged out of the trash/recycling, including most of the electrical components. Thousands of dollars worth of unused parts that would have been wasted now have a second chance

So - do you want donations of electronic junk? I've got a bunch of electronic stuff here I was going to get rid of...couple not working DVD players, old car stereos, mid-2000s computers, etc. If so, I'll scrounge up what I can and bring it over, if not I'll trash it.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I should be there, fashionably late probably

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Any of you guys know how to properly set the idle on a chain saw? I can't seem to do it right. :saddowns: Every time I mess with the adjustment screws and try to start it, it either doesn't work or goes WOT. I may bring it with me (if I remember) and see if maybe someone else has better luck with it.

I'm going to take the BMW, unless the weather sucks. I've had it under the cover since early November, so this is perfect to give it some mid-winter exercise. However, if the weather blows, I'm taking the Caddy.

I don't suppose anyone needs anything hauled up there from Long Island? If so, I can do it as long as it fits in the truck and isn't horrifically gross.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

What are the capabilities? theArf was offering a tune on my Z06, and I was curious how much it'd been tuned prior, since CAGS is properly disabled.

It's pretty awesome actually. It was able to interface with just about everything on my truck, although I wasn't able to disable Theftlock on a junkyard nav unit with it. Told me I had a failing wheel sensor (and which one), pulled up all sorts of stored codes, told my my air ride compressor had a stuck exhaust solenoid, gave real-time readings on various sensors, etc. I had great fun setting it to read my steering sensor and watching the little graph move as I turned the wheel. :3:

Umm, so if I bring my truck does someone wanna help me install a hinge pin / bushing kit in the driver's door? That's the only big thing I didn't get to this summer, because I never had a helper to assist with pulling the door off. Almost none of my friends out here are car people, and aren't really down to drop by for a day of wrenching. Yes, I need to move. :( Anyway, I'd rather not attempt it myself and drop that poo poo.

e: are we doing beer exchange again?

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 18, 2013

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

SwashedBuckles posted:

Good times yesterday. Thanks for hosting, Hillridge :cheers:

Agreed! Another thanks for hosting, that's quite the kick rear end workshop you guys have going on over there

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Slow is Fast posted:

Wish I coulda gone but was welding all day instead. Did anyone take pics?

I got there sort of late, but I didn't see any one taking pics while I was there. There weren't really any "HOLY poo poo LEMME GET THE CAMERA OUT" type of moments that I saw, although there was a bit of after dark hooning a kludged together go-kart, and some attempted repairs on my door hinges. That is, until we actually looked up the job online and found poo poo like "never doing this job again" and "IT TOOK ME TWO DAYS TO FIX TWO DOORS RAARRGGGH" type posts on various forums, after which we pretty much concluded "welp, gently caress that" and slapped it all back together. I may attempt it again in the spring.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I'm too far away and probably too weird. I wish they'd have poo poo like that out here. Or maybe they do, and I'm just not cool enough to know about it :saddowns:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I can't do the 9th or the 30th. Any of the other days will work for me though, as long as the weather isn't total poo poo.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Welp. I'm trying to kick a cold, but due to poor self-control and peer pressure I'm going to go out for St. Pats / March Madness related shenanigans tonight anyway. I'm going to say I'll be there, but uh, maybe "fashionably late" depending on hangover severity and traffic.

Anybody got target practice dummies for the air spear gun thing? :haw:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Ahhhhh, so yeah I'm not going to make it. A friend of mine called me today in a panic because his car wouldn't start and he needed it for work tomorrow, so I went over there to see if I could help him out. Diagnosis: Bad starter. I was hoping I could bang out the replacement quickly, and run up there, but :lol: yeah loving right, they use salt up here. I did get the starter replaced, but now it's too late for me to head up :(

:f5:ing for pics

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I haven't been on the forums much in the last few weeks, but I'm gonna try to make it out. If I'm able to make it (by request) I'll bring all of my A/C tools and we can have an air conditioning fixitfest. My inept fumbling with the tools so far has yielded limited success, but you guys may be able to actually fix something with them!

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My A/C is leaking... somewhere. Would you be able to check it out?

I have a leak sniffer and a dye injection kit w/ goggles and a UV light...that's about the best I can do though, turns out I'm kind of poo poo at finding leaks in my own cars unfortunately. I'm by no means any kind of expert, I just bought the tools because I wanted to learn how to DIY A/C stuff. I guess if you luck out and the leak is in a relatively visible spot, like the lines in the engine compartment or the condenser or something.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I'd be in to make the journey out and partake in the beers / blowing up of poo poo / other shenanigans as well. Either of those weekends should probably work for me - I don't normally plan that far ahead anyway so I don't think I have anything going on.

I'm fresh out of BBQs to sacrifice to the thermite gods, however :q:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Sandbagger SA posted:

Of course, the date is entirely up to Fart Pipe, but are the preliminary results for NEAI 2015 availability:

It's a bit of a hike for me, but I'd try to make it out on whatever weekend gets picked, provided something I own is running well enough to make the trip. Right now I'm 1/5, so I'm doing OK I think. Fun fact, while stopped in traffic on the way back from the one at Fart Pipe's place (I think NEAI 2.0??) there was a big van alongside me (with government plates :tinfoil: ) that looked to be filled with HS girls on some sort of field trip. The driver tapped the horn, I looked over, and 3 of them flashed me :eyepop: I have a feeling alcohol was involved somehow.

Sandbagger SA posted:

Anyone who hasn't should at least once :black101:

This too. I had jerky video footage of one such ride, but lost the phone maybe a month or two afterwards. It mostly featured blurred scenery, engine noise, and barely audible (but fairly constant) retard laughter from yours truly

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Hey Black88GTA - you live near the New York metro area correct? I'm going to be in the city in mid December maybe a road trip to new england redneck ville?

Kinda sorta, I'm in Long Island, about 50ish miles away from NYC. I'm only an hour train ride away though, I'd def be down to meet up for any kind of shenanigans or beers. always up for a road trip :getin:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Even though I'm kind of a ways away, I can't not attend. BRB, browsing Amazon for thermite ingredients

e: I'll probably bring some kind of beer, etc. but will also will chip in for keg

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 26, 2015

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
It's too bad my truck isn't running, otherwise I'd grab this and bring it up. I'm sure we could find something stupid awesome to do with it :getin:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Sandbagger SA posted:

And you may need skin grafts afterwards.

Relevant:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

kastein posted:

Sure, the more the merrier! Your oil/dye injector would help a lot too, I don't have one of those.

I've got one I can bring. I also have an electronic leak sniffer if it would be helpful. I think these work best indoors but I'll toss it in anyway, since it's useful when you can't see the dye leaking from the suspect part - like when it's the evap core, and it's buried behind a bunch of poo poo. Also have a spool of mag ribbon to light the thermite somewhere, although it's been kicking around since the first NEAI so I'll have to hunt for it. Road flares are really where it's at for that I think, although sparklers would work pretty well too I bet (??) if anyone has any they could grab.

I'm fresh out of junk BBQs though :(

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Is it supposed to rain tomorrow? What time is everyone showing up?

Current forecast is mid '80s, partly cloudy, 20% chance of rain. Not too shabby. Earlier this week it said 80% chance of thunderstorms, so I'll take it. I'm at least a few hours out, so I"m hoping to get there around 1 or 2.

24 Long Island themed douchebag beers, random AC junk, and stuff for making things melt with science locked and loaded. I can bring a tent / sleeping bag as well. :gooncamp:

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Little late on this, but I was somewhat useless when I got back on Sunday. Tim, thanks again for hosting, it was an awesome time as usual. I got a few pictures, (mostly of the roadster shenanigans) and videos all revolving around the mobility scooter. After Saturday, I'm thinking every party needs a mobility scooter, preferably without an old person attached to it.

We found a thing in the woods. I drank beer and watched TOOK PICTURES FOR THE INTERNET while the extraction was taking place

It had a chrisgt in it

And a lot of dirt

We didn't look too closely at the contents of the storage trunk - there were rumors of a dead thing in there :ohdear:

Videos!! :neckbeard:
e: Sorry they are all recorded the wrong way, I am not good with phone :saddowns:

Hot Rod SiF takes the mobility cart stunt challenge with some bendy wooden board and a cinder block. It goes about as expected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87BUaIGN0W4

We may have violated the "no burnouts on the driveway" rule :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJqwF7FphNk

The relays we had for power delivery to the cart didn't like what we were doing to them. We were getting 10 - 15 minutes of runtime before the relay contacts would melt together. You knew it was time for a new relay when this happened
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgsv6aG8938

There's some good avatar material in this one, for anyone who wants to fish it out. #JustNEAIthings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbO1AIZ0sA0

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

^^Haaa, look at this tool in the red shirt It's me, I'm the tool in the red shirt

I don't really plan that far in advance either, although I think I'm probably out for June 11, and the 4th of July weekend as well. Could probably do any of the others, unless something comes up unexpectedly.

• Locked thread