Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
I'm near Manchester, NH. Would be up for something in Epping or Portsmouth, but if there's stuff blowing up it might be worthwhile to head down to Boston area.

So, should I take the Forester XT or the Miata?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

SFH1989 posted:

It's cool that they do this, I went to their winter safe course in 2014 and had a great time. I've wanted to go back but haven't really had the money for a full class. Plus I just put some Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s on my Fiesta which have been really great so far.

I decided to go out in the storm last night just to see how they did, no issues.

Was the winter course mostly focused on safety, or did they cover left foot braking and the like? I'd like to take one of O'neils classes but the rally school is more than I want to spend. I'd be willing to use my own car for the cheaper class, but not if it's a boring defensive driving class where we talk about how often you should check your rearview mirror. I want to learn car control in a safe environment.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

Just do the the open session day and practice LFB and ask the instructors if you don't start getting the hang of it.

I like that idea, it sounds roughly analogous to a track day. I have some autocross experience, so hopefully that's enough to not embarrass myself.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

Just do the the open session day and practice LFB and ask the instructors if you don't start getting the hang of it.

Alright, I booked a 10:00 AM slot for the practice day. I figure I'll show up early to observe the 9:00 slot and hopefully not embarrass myself being new to this. Any advice on etiquette or what to expect (that wasn't covered on the website) would be welcome.

I'll be bringing my stock Forester XT on snow tires, my open face autocross helmet, warm clothes, and lunch. I'm not sure what else to do besides just show up, just go with the flow, and hopefully have fun.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

I showed up early, first one there, and got some bonus time since the 9:00 slot only had a few cars. I got probably 20 runs in for my forty bucks, easily worth while, though I wish there had been instructors available. I'd happily pay a bit more for that on a similar hourly basis. I was surprised at how casual everything was. Most of the participants were driving their street cars and there was only one rally-prepped race car, an RX-7. The organizers didn't seem super neurotic about safety, but everyone I saw was responsible. One guy was tearing it up for two hours in a quad-cab Tacoma that had huge Stoptech brakes, and he said was supercharged. His 8-10ish year old daughter was riding in a booster seat in the back. I think SCCA autocross folks would've flipped their poo poo over that.

The slalom on the outbound leg was my favorite. I found I could get through it in a big controlled pendulum/tank slapper and set myself up to rotate around the U-turn around the last cone, which was all ice. Without the pendulum I'd pretty much just understeer and struggle to get the car pointed in the right direction.

shy boy from chess club posted:

What year is your XT? I'm thinking about doing it too with my 04 on winterforces.

2007, 171K miles. I'm the original owner.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

I think we crossed paths on that descent back into Littleton! I remember thinking the XT with rally fog lights must be coming from the school.

I agree about needing momentum to slide around the bowl of the uphill U-turn, but without front power, 90% of the time, I was giving the last breath of gas with my rear wheels on snow and the front wheels cut over but hopelessly pushing on ice. In general, balancing rotation on the very limited grip available was tricky with the automatic and torque converter in the way. We rarely carried enough speed into the big right to be able to keep drifting the whole way around.
The most fun for me was the downhill slalom that had enough grip to get any speed. The snow bank was there at the end of it, but it was so grippy that any mistakes had plenty of time to straighten out.

Yeah, Team O'Neil is casual about safety, what with their loaner skateboard and ski helmets. I'd say it's appropriate to the level of risk the course offers -- I've seen cars get up to 60mph and digging huge ruts in NER rallyx events, and that is definitely more dangerous than here. Wyatt was running the plow truck, and he was the only guy I knew who was an instructor. No instructors available for even a demo lap, yeah.
Ballsiest driving was from either a tuned B5 Audi or a Fiat 500.

Two Focus RSes came out, though only one ran the course. It was driven fairly timidly, unfortunately. Didn't get to see Drift Mode do its thing on the last turn.

Coolest vehicle there (just a local checking it out):

Glamor shot (unless Team O'Neil puts out their pics, we weren't able to get any shots of the Charger with much countersteer):

Right entry into the bowl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHHIPzwMy4Q

Left entry into the bowl (with bonus seat belt buckle not working complaint from the car):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUI3CUs5oTE&t=5s

e:
Also, lol, I just realized that we were supposed to go through the
code:
>     < 
cones in the uphill slalom. They were down for a while and I was like, why isn't the cone truck coming around to fix this?

Yeah, I remember seeing you and thinking you were a cop until I saw the out of state plates.

One thing I was happy to find was how smooth the surface was; no washboards or potholes, so I never felt like I was really beating on the car. Probably the most strenuous part was the abrupt transition from a slick surface to a grippy one on the skid pad, but they smoothed that out with more snow as the day went on.

They didn't start taking pictures until my runs were over, unfortunately.

Nice color, is that the stock bumper for 07? Im the second owner of mine, just about to turn 206k and still solid as the day is long.

Thanks. Yeah, the fog-light-less front bumper was only offered on the Sport package in 2007, and 2008. WRB was also only offered on that package in those years. I was lucky that when I was in a position to buy my first new car that there were good options available. It took some looking to find what I wanted, but this car had been sitting on Subaru of Keene's lot for quite a while. Apparently it's not something their normal customer is interested in. A WRB Sport XT with a manual is uncommon enough that they can be worth good money on the used market, but mine has rust issues. I just had a patch welded into the rocker panel to get my inspection sticker in December. I might only get another year or two out of 'er.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Yeah, the Sport package doesn't even show up as an option in places like RockAuto but the fancypants XT Premium is close enough for mechanical stuff.

I've had rear quarter panel rust for a while, but I didn't notice the rocker hole until it was big enough to put my hand into because it was fully underneath the car - must've rotted from the inside out. The other side looks fine.

Hey, I made a cameo here: http://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-most-fun-you-can-have-in-an-hour-for-40-bucks-1791221026

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

I'm like, actually mad at how cold it's been for this long. gently caress

I’m mad at how long it’s going to stay cold.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Anyone know if Team O’Neil Rally School is doing another open practice day this winter, like last year? I haven’t heard anything and I want to go beat my rusty clam some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

BigPaddy posted:

So like every car in New England then.

Salt life.

• Locked thread