Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Kape Kawd Representin'.

I can drive my uninspected, exhaust leaking, 9000# towing 2500HD.

Or the Fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
So, it looks like just south of Boston is the general center of our little band of morons, ranging from CT to ME. Boston would work for me, anyone west of the city with a decent sized piece of land?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

SwashedBuckles posted:

Kastein's is about an hour and change from my place and lax code enforcement sounds like a bonus for destroying things with thermite. Something closer to the 495 loop would probably be more central for everyone though
Precisely, someplace just west or south of the city. Thermite would be awesome, it's been a while since I burned through an engine block.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

Anyone? I tried to PM Acky, but this is a bit of a slow thread. I guess he might not have swung back by.
Sorry man, I travel through Bangor regularly, but always on the way to the boat shop, either at 7 a.m. or at 9 pm, and with the captain diving driving.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
May 12th might work for me... gotta see what the ocean brings.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

Is that one of the e: only pickem yards in the area? I don't know of any in Boston, but it could be just cuz I haven't asked around.
There are few down here on the south coast. One in Freetown, and one near fall river, iirc. Don't bother with the one in Wareham, they suck rear end. Eighty bucks for civic trailing arms with shot bushings...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'll be sporting a :krad: new scar, automotive-related.
:nws:
http://i.imgur.com/Pwa1O.jpg
:nws:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

PainterofCrap posted:

'Splain please :allears:

Only for you...
I was a witness to an auto accident, 2-cars, with one car veering off into the woods and hitting a tree. The woman driving was knocked out, face down in the passenger seat... couldn't tell if she was breathing, or if the car was about to catch fire (its been wicked dry here on the Cape). I was on the phone with 911, and literally had the phone in my left hand, my Leatherman in my right, and broke the passengers side window to get to her and potentially drag her out/start CPR. Turns out she was breathing, she gasped once I shook her shoulder. Needless to say, my glass-breaking skills aren't the best, and my arm hit the window frame and impaled itself on the glass. Two hours of surgery to remove the shards of safety glass from my arm, several dozen stitches, etc... Scary poo poo.

:edit:
/\/\/\ Thanks. Not trying to do anything but what I thought was right.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 24, 2012

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

commissargribb posted:

Yeah I do that too. I try to remember to throw on coveralls before I work to protect my decent clothes though.

By the way: here's the weather for the 12th and the 13th. Hopefully the rain prediction is wrong. :ohdear:

:lol: you believe weather more than 24 hours in advance?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I work in an industry where weather is critical to our day-to-day operations (marine ops), and its a total crapshoot. Hell, I've taken hourly screen captures of the NOAA forecasts before, just so I can explain to a client why we left the dock when the weather turns to poo poo immediately.
0000: Weather for today, calm, sunny, beautiful. Winds less than 5 kt.
0400: Weather for today, calm, sunny beautiful. Winds 5-10 kt.
::We depart dock at 0600::
0800: Weather for today, AWFUL, Hail, Lightning, squalls, winds 20-25 kt.

:facepalm:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
It looks like I'm stuck in Queens until Saturday night, but maybe I can join in on Sunday, if anything is happening

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
So what time does this shindig start officially?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Slow is Fast posted:

Can you get yuengling? Bring a case of that for me to bring back to maine!

Only if you bring Gritty's.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
It was nice to meet everyone, sorry about having to skip out early. I left that massive piston there, someone do something with it, I've got more. I got busted for going the wrong way on Mill street, fifty dollar ticket... Going to fight it, so I'll be back soon.

I'll post videos and pictures on YouTube and Imgur once I get back from NYC.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Thanks again to everyone. My DSLR decided to gently caress up its memory card, and I lost a few videos, including the one of the "quiet" fireworks, which blows.

However, it kept several of the thermite. I also made a GIF of the mixing process.

Thermite in flowerpot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rl3pjXl61Q

EJ22 mess:

Mixing thermite:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Mixin' the Thermite, an animation in three parts.

Bonus burned-though EJ22 block:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
We do get lots of snow. The city doesn't get a ton (or at least it gets cleaned up pretty quickly), but the suburbs can be pretty bad. That said, you don't NEED 4WD, but that's hardly a reason to avoid the Evo or STI. Belldandy is correct, buy whatever you want, and get snows for it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

InitialDave posted:

Would be this be a good time to mention that Factory Five are based in MA?

About 10 minutes from my house.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
September doesn't work well for me, going to be offshore in Maine. Nonetheless, enjoy. Hill ridges place would be amazing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kronix posted:

Sorry I let my native New Yorker out...

Also, where the hell did the Boston area goons go? What's up with all these meetings in the woods. Whatever happened to meeting up somewhere in Brighton or Somerville or some poo poo like that.

They are all out protesting in front of Chick-Fil-A.

And it looks like if its early in September, I might be able to make it on a weekend. The offshore work doesn't start right away...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Eh, I'll be surveying Eastern Passage in Maine. Enjoy the festivities!

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 8, 2012

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'd love to be in attendance, but I'll be steaming from hull mass to southwest harbour Maine. Knowing my luck with Maine transits, it'll be northeast thirty to forty, and I'll spend six to eight hours puking... Yay seasickness! Enjoy the festivities, it sucks, I just got a bunch of (36 actually) expired flares. I was going to have my auto enginuity scanner too, in case anyone needed it (GM factory support added).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Fuuuuck, I'm still in bumble gently caress Maine. Machias to be exact.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

commissargribb posted:

if that had a sunroof, you could just stick your head through it and look out the top.

If you examine the picture, either it has a sunroof, or someone cut a hole in the roof and put a piece of tinted glass over it. Either that, or its Kastein's beanstalk hole.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Billy Tully posted:

You missed dyno day :colbert:

Nerd fight, nerd fight!
:v:

Opensourcepirate posted:

What does that make me?

Chopped liver.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Hillridge posted:

How's the 19th for everyone? If it seems like that will work, I'll block out the day on our calendar.

January 19 is now blocked off on my calendar, I can't wait.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'll be there... No truck this time, gonna bring the Fit.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Hillridge, you guys don't happen to have a sand blasting cabinet large enough for some 16" wheels? I've got some chevy aluminum wheels than need to be bead/walnut blasted. I could buy media and donate it to you guys.

I can't sanblast them, or else I'd do it myself.

I've also got a poo poo-ton of marine flares... expired (but they still work).

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Hillridge posted:

I'll check, but 16" is cutting it close. We do have a portable setup that you could always use outside with cheap sand (I've had good results with home depot playground sand).

Sand won't work, it'll chew up the wheels too badly. I'd do it myself with my pressure pot if I could use regular media.

Also, you shouldn't use play sand, or any silica product for blasting without a supplied-air respirator. I use black beauty blasting slag, which is $8/50# bag at TSC. It cuts better than sand, and doesn't cause silicosis. A regular P100 respirator cover my uses pretty well.

The wheel size is 16" x 6.5". If you can check for me, I'd appreciate it. I need to buy the media ASAP if they'll fit.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Hillridge posted:

Min depth of the box is 11", add a few if you take out the grating and sit the workpiece right on the media. It's 17" from front to back, so while the wheel will fit in it, I'm not sure you could get your arms in too. We have media (slag, aluminum oxide, walnut) here if you just want to bring them and give it a shot.

Eh, what the hell. I appreciate the offer. I may try aircraft stripper this week, and if that doesn't do the trick, I'll bring them up.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Anyone need GM-specific computer help? I've got an AutoEnginuity with the GM addd-ins.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

What are the capabilities? theArf was offering a tune on my Z06, and I was curious how much it'd been tuned prior, since CAGS is properly disabled.

Its basically a GM-factory scan tool. No tuning available, unluckily. I can plug it in and see what it tells you. (Plus, then you'd bring the Z06!)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'll bring the auto enginuity. I'm bringing the truck anyhow. I didn't realize that it's the same distance from the Cape to Nashua as to Ken's. It's got some additions from whence it was last seen (AI secret Santa helped).

It needs some major work, but I doubt it'd be worth reading the whole front end apart in New Hamster, plus trying to extract the exhaust manifold bolts and replace the manifolds. I will definitely bring the wheels, I got most of the clear coat off, but the corrosion from salt under the clear is gonna require media blasting.

I'll bring some Cape Cod beer.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Either a dremel or a small die grinder with a carbide burr on it...

It was nice seeing everyone again. Hillridge, I wish your shop was as close to me as it is to you... Let me reiterate: The Cape sucks.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Hillridge posted:

air filter

How about bolting the seat on?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Where is this taking place?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'm in the process of changing jobs, and have been very busy. I'm going to decide in the AM if I can make it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

INTERNETRACECAR posted:

what's all this then

This is all that now.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
No pictures to post (on my phone, that's gotten me in trouble in the past), but thanks to Pipkin for the fun times. It was great meeting/seeing you all again. I hope the last strut didn't impale anyone, that the E30 from hell is up and terrorizing the neighborhood again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Slow is Fast posted:

STAY OUT OF MY (JUNKYARD) TERRITORY

So when is the next official shindig?

• Locked thread