Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Boston (Somerville) checking in. I'm done to drive somewhere in my Jetta TDI. Also down for some beers in Boston.

If we're destroying poo poo, I could probably show up with some thermite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
And remember all; possession of less than an ounce of marijuana in MA is only a $100 fine.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Should we start trying to come up with a date, or a month even?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I think I can do May 12th, also Muffinpox I might want those tires. Can you tell me the size and how much you might want for them?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Anyone else have an opinion on May 12th?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
What about thermite?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Does anyone have a big terra cotta pot they can bring for us to put the thermite in? (It probably won't survive)

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I really need to flush my brake fluid. Does anyone have a power bleeder they can bring and/or want to help me do it?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Thanks man. I think perhaps I should bring an extra bleeder screw as I remember one of them being weird and barely sealing when I screwed it back in. Any idea what size I'd need? It would on one of the drums.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I will take free BDUs.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I agree with commissargribb, and so do my camo pants with Rust Bullet on the legs and jacket with fiberglass resin on the sleeve.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Hey Kastein,

Thanks for helping me figure out what was wrong with my Jetta. The layering of duct tape, an aluminum can, duct tape, a hose clamp, and more duct tape actually held pretty well. I've got a new (used) hose on there now, and everything's working pretty well.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

Billy Tully posted:

Yea if its only gonna be the 6-10 of us we can hang out in the shop and play beer pong and y'all can help me pull the TDI out of the jetta :getin:

You gave up on waiting for me to total my car?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

Billy Tully posted:

Rust wasn't killing opensourcepirates car fast enough, its been like 2-3 years and I've been pouring salt water on his shock towers at every GTG.

Dude, as I keep explaining to you, my car is more Rust Bullet (knock off POR-15), fiberglass, bondo, and rubberized undercoating than sheet metal now. I was half-hoping that I'd get rear ended so that I could be done with it and give you the drive train, but it never happened.

My turbo is working again though, which is pretty sweet. I mean it was always working, but it was venting to atmosphere, and then the wastegate actuator was all out of whack from me trying to adjust it. I wish it was less smokey though; I feel bad for the people behind me when I really lay the torque down. If I make it this weekend we can do an redneck intake cleaning and try to get more air in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oet4qWeZuYA

Quadruple Edit: Oh yeah, and metallic tape over one of the holes that I haven't gotten to yet.

Opensourcepirate fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 28, 2012

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Porsche Doublepost!

Guys should I buy Kimbo's 944?

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/3298893762.html

My Jetta isn't AI enough but I'm not sure if I should get a car that's older than I am.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to get a generic catalytic converter purchased and welded in?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Edit: Don't double click the submit button.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Where's the junkyard?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Sounds fun. "Early Saturday morning" isn't really in my vocabulary though, unless it involves staying up really late on Friday.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

Hillridge posted:

I'm still open to hosting something at my hackerspace in Nashua if you guys don't want to wait until spring time. It's heated, there's a 9000lbs Rotary lift, a CNC plasma cutter, MIG, TIG, Mills, Lathes, 3D printer, lots of other tools, and most importantly, two taps built into a fire hydrant and fed from a dedicated beer fridge.
I'd come to a meet in Nashua.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays

Billy Tully posted:

Nice! I'm the resident TDI nerd and I approve of this post.
What does that make me?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I'm a maybe. I'm sure I can make it, but there's always a chance that I'll stay up till 6AM that morning and sleep in.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I'll probably show up in the 944, since that's way cooler than showing up in a Jetta. Right now the heat is stuck on and I would very much like to fix that, so perhaps I/we can try to work on that there.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I have the flu or something, so I stayed home.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
My friend has offered to potentially trade me his 1987 560SEC for my 83 944. I don't know what to do!

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
So regarding all that water getting in; there's a big gap between the glass and the frame at the top of the rear hatch. I was thinking maybe that's the problem and I was going to seal it up with like some black silicone stuff.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I plan on showing up in the Porsche. Maybe stopping by Sam's first if the timing works out.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I took a couple pictures, but nothing too great. The 944 was great however; this was my first major trip in it and it went flawlessly. The heat is still somewhat stuck on, but I managed to move the arm on the heater control valve on the back of the engine somewhat, so it's not fully on anymore. The odometer is still busted, so this was my first chance to check the MPG. I filled up in MA and then again with 2.594 gallons, 78.6 miles later in CT (according to google maps). That's 30.3 MPG!

I'll be waiting for updates on Noise Complaint's E30. There were some... difficulties with the suspension job. We were able to get some new and unexpectedly needed struts at an Autozone in Hartford though, 30 minutes before they closed.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Noise Complaint seemed impressed when I gave him a ride. The 944 is also a lot faster than when I got it, now that the air flow meter is working properly. Maybe he can comment on how he thought it compared to the E30.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
The cat got rid of the harshness, but then I also put on a new muffler. I felt like the old one was too liable to get me pulled over, which it contributed to once when my friend was driving it. I think it still sounds awesome without being obnoxious.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I mostly just got this one picture of Kastein.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I have older VAG-COM stuff, but not VCDS. I don't think Pipkin has anything.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Is there still a pile of bricks for me to hide behind while you guys try to blow poo poo up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I don't think I'll make it this time. I've always been towards the bottom of the 'Most AI' list anyway.

• Locked thread