Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jlr5559
Nov 25, 2007
I just adopted a one year old shelter mutt, and brought him home yesterday. Right now all he has done is hide in the corner, and growl at me any time I come near. If I reach out to try and touch him he tries to bite me. I have had multiple dogs throughout my life, and do not remember this type of behavior. I know that he has gone through a lot of change in the past day or so but his behavior is starting to worry me. He wont let me put his leash on him to take him outside to use the bathroom, and hasn't peed or pooped since i got him. I am at a loss here. I took him to the vet this morning, and he did not find any health issues. I am afraid if this continues I will have to return him to the shelter. If anyone has any experience with this type of behavior I would really appreciate your advice.

Finally got him outside, and he used the bathroom. walked him for a bit. He still is hiding in the corner, but I now know he is biologically OK.

jlr5559 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

How was the dog at the shelter? Did they give you any idea of his personality? Did you interact with him at the shelter and how did that go? How did it go at the vet?

If he wasn't displaying such behavior at the shelter, then it sounds like he is reacting to his new environment with rather extreme anxiety and fear. What I would do right now is just ignore him. Dogs are very sensitive to social pressure and thus trying to entice them, reaching out hands toward them, etc. can have the opposite of the intended affect. Get several yummy foods you have around and try dropping a piece when you walk past (keep your body language relaxed and don't face him head on or stare). If he doesn't eat it right away, that's fine, just wait him out.

I'd also put a leash on him and leave it on so you don't need to keep reaching for him. If he responds well to being ignored and having some food just dropped and hopefully ventures from his corner a bit, then I would try leading him by the leash for bathroom breaks while still ignoring him as much as possible. Hopefully he'll start to feel less pressured and eventually explore and start exhibiting curiosity toward you instead of fear.

Edit: that's great! I'd still give him a lot of space and drop yummy treats to associate yourself with good things and see how he adjusts over the next couple days.

jlr5559
Nov 25, 2007
At the shelter he was a very friendly dong, and was the first dog there to come to me. I visited him at he shelter multiple times over the past few weeks, and was able to play with him under supervision from a volunteer. The volunteers described him as very loving, and that he liked to be petted and snuggled a lot. The vet went like most every other time I have taken a dog to a vet. As you said it might just be anxiety getting to him. He was at the shelter for quite some time, and has only been here a day so far. I will ignore him, and keep dropping treats any time I come near him. Thanks for the advice.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

blamedunce posted:

Just a quick update on Ginny. She's been diagnosed with suspected melanocytoma in her right eye, but with no real way of determining whether it's malignant or not.

Unfortunately, because a benign tumour is much more likely, my insurance company has declined to cover any costs (as, apparently, my policy only covers malignant tumors). The ophthalmologist wants to try laser surgery to shrink the mass but can't guarantee that it won't grow back in the future. This leaves me in a bit of trouble now, as I'm unsure as to whether I can cover the costs of subsequent surgery if it were to grow back.

Are there any animal charities in the UK that can help with veterinary costs? I looked at PDSA but they only cover people who claim housing or council tax benefit.

gently caress. I've only had my puppy for 3 weeks, this is meant to be fun. I'm close to despair already.

That sucks. Is it in the eye itself? If so, have they talked about enucleating the eye and just being done with the whole thing?

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
We have had Cerberus for about a month and a bit now. Things are going well. He starts puppy classes on Wednesday. The first class was last Wednesday, but it was for owners only. Crate training is going well, too.

He is 14 weeks old now and getting his final shot on Monday, so we will be able to take him to the dog park after that, which I'm looking forward to.

The only thing so far that I am unsure of is that we have two cats. Both cats generally just ignore Cerberus, and do not really initiate any interaction. Our smaller cat, Wartooth, will get fairly defensive and swipe at Cerberus if he tries to chase her or play with her, which I believe is normal cat behavior.

Our other cat, Doomhammer, who is larger than Wartooth by quite a bit is a different story. Whenever Cerberus tries to play with him, Doomhammer basically just lays down and lets Cerberus beat up on him in a playful way. I can tell he doesn't really like it because he meows like he doesn't like what is going on, but he never really stands up for himself.

I am not sure if that belongs in the puppy thread or cat thread.

Cerberus:

big rig nig
Jun 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Edit: should have used google.

big rig nig fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 14, 2012

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Any guesses as to how big we could expect this dog to get? The foster family is bringing him over to our house this week to see how he potentially reacts to our cats (he hasn't spent much time around cats, but has been great with their toddlers). He's a Saint Bernard mix, estimated 7-8 months old, 55 lbs right now.

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!

mesc posted:

Any guesses as to how big we could expect this dog to get? The foster family is bringing him over to our house this week to see how he potentially reacts to our cats (he hasn't spent much time around cats, but has been great with their toddlers). He's a Saint Bernard mix, estimated 7-8 months old, 55 lbs right now.

My uncle had a St. Bernard who was ~160lbs and that was considered normal. So, frickin' huge.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
EDIT: Nevermind.

Raneman fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 22, 2012

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is there any issues with a dog that is a mix between a purebred retired show French Bull Dog(the bitch) and a Papillon(purebred as well I believe) family dog? My best friends mother had an accidental liter of these and is going to let me have one for free. She has bred the French Bull Dog before with another French Bull Dog and knows how to handle those 8-10 weeks of puppy hood (I am not taking it home until 10 weeks after they were born which was actually today). I am just wondering what kind of dog I am getting because I cant find anything about this mix besides two google image pictures from a designer dog website when you do a search for "French Bull Dog and Papillon Mix".

I asked about the health on both dogs and he says there is no history of anything significantly wrong with them. I also presume a show dog wouldn't usually have a blood line of issues with it. What I am kind of worried about is I read that Papillons like to bark a lot while the French Bull Dog not so much. Who's traits will this puppy pick up and which ones should I prepare for if that's even at all possible.

edit: wrong word

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 23, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

tonic316 posted:

Is there any issues with a dog that is a mix between a pure bread retired show French Bull Dog(the bitch) and a Papillon(purebred as well I believe) family dog? My best friends mother had an accidental liter of these and is going to let me have one for free. She has bred the French Bull Dog before with another French Bull Dog and knows how to handle those 8-10 weeks of puppy hood (I am not taking it home until 10 weeks after they were born which was actually today). I am just wondering what kind of dog I am getting because I cant find anything about this mix besides two google image pictures from a designer dog website when you do a search for "French Bull Dog and Papillon Mix".

I asked about the health on both dogs and he says there is no history of anything significantly wrong with them. I also presume a show dog wouldn't usually have a blood line of issues with it. What I am kind of worried about is I read that Papillons like to bark a lot while the French Bull Dog not so much. Who's traits will this puppy pick up and which ones should I prepare for if that's even at all possible.

It is a mix so there is no way to know. French bulldogs are rife with tragic health problems, so there's that. You can not make any predictions about the temperament of a mixed breed dog. The assumption that a conformation-line french bulldog would not be a walking health problem is an lol assumption and you should probably put up a couple grand for the health problems you may or may not deal with in the first year alone.

Save up a shitload of money for vet bills and prepare for not knowing how your dog will turn out.

also, "purebred." Dogs are not a wheat product.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Superconsndar posted:

It is a mix so there is no way to know. French bulldogs are rife with tragic health problems, so there's that. You can not make any predictions about the temperament of a mixed breed dog. The assumption that a conformation-line french bulldog would not be a walking health problem is an lol assumption and you should probably put up a couple grand for the health problems you may or may not deal with in the first year alone.

Save up a shitload of money for vet bills and prepare for not knowing how your dog will turn out.

also, "purebred." Dogs are not a wheat product.

Guess I am getting pet health insurance. Or does it not work like that?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

tonic316 posted:

Guess I am getting pet health insurance. Or does it not work like that?

I'm unaware of any pet insurance that cover breed specific problems. I might be wrong and there might be something new out there now, but I remember that being a clause on many.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Are there any good links or resources to look at for what to do to help a rescue/shelter dog become less shy/timid? We just got a 9 year old sheltie, but it's almost eerie how submissive she is. It's not like she is afraid like I've seen some rescue/shelter dogs because she'll always come to you if you call her and she's totally fine on walks. It's just when you try to pet her, her tail goes down and her ears/face plunge down and she just basically freezes :smith:

I'm sure it's just something that takes time as it's a huge transition for her, but is there anything we can do to help (or stuff we shouldn't do)?

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)

fookolt posted:

Are there any good links or resources to look at for what to do to help a rescue/shelter dog become less shy/timid? We just got a 9 year old sheltie, but it's almost eerie how submissive she is. It's not like she is afraid like I've seen some rescue/shelter dogs because she'll always come to you if you call her and she's totally fine on walks. It's just when you try to pet her, her tail goes down and her ears/face plunge down and she just basically freezes :smith:

I'm sure it's just something that takes time as it's a huge transition for her, but is there anything we can do to help (or stuff we shouldn't do)?

Read this for a quick start: http://www.boulderhumane.org/online-resources/understanding-and-helping-shy-or-nervous-dog

Some of this might be adapting to a new home, so give it a few weeks. In the meantime, I would be very careful of spooking her. To start, don't reach overhanded to pet her -- this can be intimidating. Palm up, reach out slowly but deliberately underneath her face so she can see the hand coming. If she shies away from you, don't force it. Keep some good treats handy and reward every instance of touch contact with treats. Especially the ones initiated by the dog.

Training some very basic tricks will also do a lot to build confidence as well.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."
This might sound stupid... But does anyone have any tips to help get my 48 year old boyfriend over a stubborn fear of dogs? He was frightened repeatedly as a kid and now is convinced all dogs are murderous slaughter-beasts who want to eat him. I don't know how much of that is true, he never gives me a straight answer.
The only breed he doesn't afraid of is Shelties, but I really don't think one would like to live with me.

When I'm in a slightly better financial situation, I badly want a puppy or young dog, specifically a Swedish Valhund or similarly sized pup. I imagine there will always be a lot of small rescue dogs available, especially after the Jubilee corgi craze.
I work as home, and have two cats so I would like to start with a young dog and teach them my bad habits the hierarchy of the house.

I also want to start with a puppy because... I was thinking about contacting someone with puppies and asking if Mike and I could visit them to help with his fear. He could see that very small dogs can't "eat" him. And then keep meeting puppies until he's more comfortable. If it doesn't work, I could just call off the idea at that stage.
But if it was okay, and if I got a puppy later, he could be comfortable around it as it grew. I don't necessarily want him to be fond of all dogs.. Just the one I have.

Paying for specific therapy would probably not be an option, as he is a stubborn SOB who thinks I'm impulsive and will get distracted from this idea. Thus: Ignoring it means I will go away and find something shiny.
I've thought it through though. I have had about 5 years to. I've also talked with my friends who have helped me think about "downsides" and ways around them.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Bogwoppit posted:

The only breed he doesn't afraid of is Shelties, but I really don't think one would like to live with me.

When I'm in a slightly better financial situation, I badly want a puppy or young dog, specifically a Swedish Valhund or similarly sized pup. I imagine there will always be a lot of small rescue dogs available, especially after the Jubilee corgi craze.

Just FYI, there's not a whole ton of difference in terms of energy and drive between a corgi and a sheltie. I've had both, and from what I can remember of the sheltie, that breed might actually even be slightly more laid-back than the corgis are, especially if the corgi is BYB or milled and temperament isn't being taken into consideration at all by the breeder. Not wanting to rain on your parade at all, but I wouldn't rule out a sheltie necessarily yet.

As far as the fear issue goes, I'd consider trying out a human-tweaked version of desensitization and counter-conditioning. Does he have a particularly favorite snack, like chocolate? Try pairing seeing a dog from a short distance with nibbling some chocolate chips or similar. Start shortening the radius, but only as far as he's comfortable doing so. Have him talk his way through it, telling you what he likes and dislikes about that particular dog. Don't critique his thoughts, just nod and ask for more information. Do one dog at a time, and start with the least threatening appearance - usually ones that have rounder heads and floppier ears trigger the lizard part of our brains the least. The ones with sharper muzzles and prick ears tend to call back to our ancient fears the most. Never try flooding (overwhelming exposure to the point of shut-down). It'll probably take time, and you'll definitely have to work your way up in size and "scariness," but it'll be worth it in the long run. Good luck!

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

ButWhatIf posted:

Just FYI, there's not a whole ton of difference in terms of energy and drive between a corgi and a sheltie. I've had both, and from what I can remember of the sheltie, that breed might actually even be slightly more laid-back than the corgis are, especially if the corgi is BYB or milled and temperament isn't being taken into consideration at all by the breeder. Not wanting to rain on your parade at all, but I wouldn't rule out a sheltie necessarily yet.
Woah. I phrased that rear end-backwards! I don't want to live with a Sheltie. Not the other way around.
It isn't the behaviour, I just don't like their appearance. I've heard they can be extremely cuddly (to the point of stupidity), and Mike actually likes them! So I really wish I liked them too.

So far as BYB, if I go to a breeder over a shelter, I (sort of) know what to look for and avoid. I am very familiar with pedigree cat breeding over here (good and bad). I know it's not the same, but I would be really careful! :gonk:

I would go to this breeder first, as they live near me and their write up seems really good: http://www.champdogs.co.uk/breeder/4391
I especially like, "All puppy enquirers will be asked to complete a questionnaire, given the offer of meeting the vallhunds and asked relevant questions. At Eriksfjord a good loving home is the most important requirement for one of our puppies."

A pipe dream, but that's the sort of people I want to deal with if their write-up is true to life.

ButWhatIf posted:

As far as the fear issue goes, I'd consider trying out a human-tweaked version of desensitization and counter-conditioning. Does he have a particularly favorite snack, like chocolate? Try pairing seeing a dog from a short distance with nibbling some chocolate chips or similar. Start shortening the radius, but only as far as he's comfortable doing so. Have him talk his way through it, telling you what he likes and dislikes about that particular dog. Don't critique his thoughts, just nod and ask for more information. Do one dog at a time, and start with the least threatening appearance - usually ones that have rounder heads and floppier ears trigger the lizard part of our brains the least. The ones with sharper muzzles and prick ears tend to call back to our ancient fears the most. Never try flooding (overwhelming exposure to the point of shut-down). It'll probably take time, and you'll definitely have to work your way up in size and "scariness," but it'll be worth it in the long run. Good luck!
I know when dogs have approached him in favourite places (with favourite food) like the pub, he has been a bit more relaxed. Still uneasy and wanting them to leave though. The modified treat is a little tricky as he's diabetic, but I get what you mean.
It probably doesn't help that a lot of dogs he meets up close in houses are bouncy excited and crazy pleased, with owners who ignore them.

As an adult man, Mike doesn't want to say, "I'm scared of your dog!" so the owners don't give a gently caress, or think he's being stuffy. Hence puppies or someone with a small dog we could have one-on-one with.. I understand your point about "flooding".. I know he is the type of person who would give up after one "failure".

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

MrFurious posted:

Read this for a quick start: http://www.boulderhumane.org/online-resources/understanding-and-helping-shy-or-nervous-dog

Some of this might be adapting to a new home, so give it a few weeks. In the meantime, I would be very careful of spooking her. To start, don't reach overhanded to pet her -- this can be intimidating. Palm up, reach out slowly but deliberately underneath her face so she can see the hand coming. If she shies away from you, don't force it. Keep some good treats handy and reward every instance of touch contact with treats. Especially the ones initiated by the dog.

Training some very basic tricks will also do a lot to build confidence as well.

Thanks so much! This is great.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Bogwoppit posted:

This might sound stupid... But does anyone have any tips to help get my 48 year old boyfriend over a stubborn fear of dogs? He was frightened repeatedly as a kid and now is convinced all dogs are murderous slaughter-beasts who want to eat him. I don't know how much of that is true, he never gives me a straight answer.

My partner's strong fear of dogs is pretty much gone now.

We have tiny mutts, and our first dog turned out to be a great dog ambassador - our dog-hating friend coos over her.

The big difference, according to my partner, was learning dog communication skills. Stuff like knowing that a lot of barking displays are fear or excitement, they can be stopped or minimized by not staring at the dog and by not facing them head-on, and keeping hands at your sides. This seems natural to those of us who grew up with dogs. But it is counter-intuitive to turn away from a perceived threat, and it takes several times of seeing it work before you'll believe it.

For us, this experience happened in foundation training classes and was built on with small dog interactions at the dog park.

If he's willing to learn some of this stuff, you can use online resources before you ever bring a dog into the picture. Doggone Safe has a lot of body language info:

http://www.doggonesafe.com/Speak_Dog
http://www.doggonesafe.com/Signs_of_Imminent_Bite

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

Engineer Lenk posted:

My partner's strong fear of dogs is pretty much gone now.

We have tiny mutts, and our first dog turned out to be a great dog ambassador - our dog-hating friend coos over her.

The big difference, according to my partner, was learning dog communication skills. Stuff like knowing that a lot of barking displays are fear or excitement, they can be stopped or minimized by not staring at the dog and by not facing them head-on, and keeping hands at your sides. This seems natural to those of us who grew up with dogs. But it is counter-intuitive to turn away from a perceived threat, and it takes several times of seeing it work before you'll believe it.

For us, this experience happened in foundation training classes and was built on with small dog interactions at the dog park.

If he's willing to learn some of this stuff, you can use online resources before you ever bring a dog into the picture. Doggone Safe has a lot of body language info:

http://www.doggonesafe.com/Speak_Dog
http://www.doggonesafe.com/Signs_of_Imminent_Bite
That's really useful stuff, thanks! I don't know how much Mike will listen to, but it's worth a try. At the moment he thinks all jumping dogs = bad.
It would be useful if he could learn to be boring for them.

I have a friend who's dog completely ignores any "go away" cues, even standing with your back turned and hands down.. That's the sort of situation where he freaks a bit.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Bogwoppit posted:

That's really useful stuff, thanks! I don't know how much Mike will listen to, but it's worth a try. At the moment he thinks all jumping dogs = bad.
It would be useful if he could learn to be boring for them.

I have a friend who's dog completely ignores any "go away" cues, even standing with your back turned and hands down.. That's the sort of situation where he freaks a bit.

I think that's a fair reaction on his part, and that he should never end up in a situation with a dog like that when it's avoidable - ask the owner to put them away, or just socialize in non-dog-friendly venues.

Boffo Beach Babe!!!
Mar 7, 2003

Hey! My roommate got a 12 week puppy, some sort of lab-mix, and while I like her (the pup) the owner is less than adept at taking care of it. I need some advice here..

Feeding
The first day in, he bought adult dog kibble for it; granted, it was a well rated product on Amazon, but after the first feeding the pup began hacking and coughing - a sort of attempted vomit - until I noticed it was being fed dog, not puppy, food. Roomie says, "I thought that was just a marketing gimmick..."

Housebreaking
We're in day one and the puppy is not housebroken. Okay, not a problem - you take it for walks, long walks, and then reward it when it goes outside? However, my roomie walks to the end of the block and the immediate vicinity, then sits on the sidewalk with the dog less than 2ft away and they just sit for hours, until I guess the dog is just forced to go out of sheer inability to hold itself?

Crate
The lack of housebreaking means that the crate - the happy fun safeplace - has become the "i can't trust you" cell. Roomie has even started using the leash to drag the puppy into the crate. Not only is that making the crate a not fun place, but it's sending mixed signals about the leash; it should be for fun walks. The puppy instead just retreats under the bed and hoards its treats and toys under there, my roommate lets it do this because "it'll just find a way in anyway" - kinda defeating the whole notion of having the crate (a controllable doggy zone) as the default place for bed and chilling and instead making it the place to close it up.

Indoor Housebreaking?
Now hes thinking of training the dog to use the shower stall for it's business. By train, I mean hes putting the puppy in our bathroom for whatever period it takes for it to pee/poop on the floor. In our 2BR apartment, this just means we have a confused dog in the bathroom and it kinda stinks up the place not to mention makes it difficult to do any of our routine bathroom functions.

Cleaning
The puppy was only just a few days ago received from the shelter - it doesn't smell good at all. My roomie doesn't want to shampoo the dog because the puppy doesn't enjoy it (well, duh). He says he'll just wipe it down with a wet cloth. Wet dog isn't a good smell, neither is caked on dogstink.

Right, okay. So, less than 48 hours into owning this puppy hes complaining about the stress of it; I had warned him that raising a puppy wouldn't be all fun and now hes seeing that. He's thinking about returning it to the shelter (don't worry, its a good safe place). Should I throw in my support for returning it, or just hold out that he figures out how to raise a puppy? Thanks!

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Even if you encourage him, he needs to be the one that wants to do it. It wont be good if he keeps it, continues to mistreat it and you end up pity caring for it. Right now it doesnt sound fair to the pup at all, but show him all the resources here- training, new puppy rules, etc, nutrition- and ask what he thinks. If hes not willing to put in the time and energy (so far it doesnt sound like he wants to but he might just not know how to care for a dog vs. not caring) then returning it would be the best option. Puppies get adopted quick right?

e: the food might not have sat well with the puppy, generally you want to keep feeding what the previous shelter/owner was feeding and gradually mix in the new food over the course of a week. Otherwise it might cause digestive upsets.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Bogwoppit posted:

This might sound stupid... But does anyone have any tips to help get my 48 year old boyfriend over a stubborn fear of dogs?
My best friend since grade school was so scared of dogs she actually worried she wouldn't be able to visit my place ever again once I got Pi. I talked her into coming over when Pi was a wee pup ("He's 8 weeks old! Babies aren't scary!") and as Pi grew, my friend gradually got over her fear: first she was ok with just Pi and now she is fine with all dogs. I helped on the way by teaching her how to "speak dog" since she had no idea how to read dog body language.

Like Engineer Lenk said, I think a lot of it is learning that many of the things people who are afraid of dogs interpret as threatening aren't in fact threatening at all, and on the other hand you learn how to react if the dog seems worried or aggressive. With my friend it helped a lot that Pi is basically bomb proof with people. I have a picture of my friend hugging young Pi after she'd given him a chew bone as a present. Pi is holding the bone and he doesn't look pleased to say the least. I asked my friend what she thought Pi felt when she gave him the bone and then tried to be affectionate and then we looked at the picture together to figure out what was really going on. (The situation in the picture happened when I was out of the room - I would've intervened had I known.) Things like this helped her a lot.

Also, Shelties come in a variety of temperaments and many of the agility Shelties are more intense than pretty much any Corgi (even the ones in sports homes). With both breeds (or any breed for that matter) I'd put a ton of research into the temperament aspect of the litter.

Boffo Beach Babe!!!
Mar 7, 2003

Malalol posted:

Even if you encourage him, he needs to be the one that wants to do it. It wont be good if he keeps it, continues to mistreat it and you end up pity caring for it. Right now it doesnt sound fair to the pup at all, but show him all the resources here- training, new puppy rules, etc, nutrition- and ask what he thinks. If hes not willing to put in the time and energy (so far it doesnt sound like he wants to but he might just not know how to care for a dog vs. not caring) then returning it would be the best option. Puppies get adopted quick right?

e: the food might not have sat well with the puppy, generally you want to keep feeding what the previous shelter/owner was feeding and gradually mix in the new food over the course of a week. Otherwise it might cause digestive upsets.

What's the verdict on pee-pads?

My roommate has taken to covering his floor with pee-pads and hes happy with "training the dog to go pee in my room" mind you, our apartment is a tiny nyc pad; 2 bedrooms with a connecting hallway. First of all, it doesn't sound very hygenic; second, it's totally goony to be okay with having your room smell like pee all the time (he says, "i'll throw out the pads!"); and third, isn't that just encouraging the dog to go inside and basically excusing himself from taking the dogs on walks?

I really don't want out apartment to smell like unwashed dog and pee...

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Boffo Beach Babe!!! posted:

My roommate has taken to covering his floor with pee-pads and hes happy with "training the dog to go pee in my room" mind you, our apartment is a tiny nyc pad; 2 bedrooms with a connecting hallway. First of all, it doesn't sound very hygenic; second, it's totally goony to be okay with having your room smell like pee all the time (he says, "i'll throw out the pads!"); and third, isn't that just encouraging the dog to go inside and basically excusing himself from taking the dogs on walks?

I really don't want out apartment to smell like unwashed dog and pee...

Pee-pads are generally not appropriate for house-training except in very specific circumstances. In those circumstances, my personal opinion is that those situations are not appropriate for dog ownership in the first place. So, in short, we're against them.

There is an extensive house-training guide in the OP.

MrFurious fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 27, 2012

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, it's entirely possible to house-train a puppy using newspaper so I suppose it's doable with pee pads as well. My dogs were paper trained and they were reliable (sans paper) at age 3mo and 5-6mo. There's no smell if you clean up.

However it doesn't sound like your roommate is trying to house-train his dog, but is trying to get away with not taking proper care of said dog. Dogs need walks and it's not appropriate to train them to go inside.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MrFurious posted:

Pee-pads are generally not appropriate for house-training except in very specific circumstances. In those circumstances, my personal opinion is that those situations are not appropriate for dog ownership in the first place. So, in short, we're against them.

There is an extensive house-training guide in the OP.

I thought puppies (8-10 weeks) go to the bathroom every 2-3 hours? What are people supposed to do when they're sleeping if they have to be taken outside every time?

Edit: Also how do you guys feel about PetSmarts training programs?

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 28, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

tonic316 posted:

I thought puppies (8-10 weeks) go to the bathroom every 2-3 hours? What are people supposed to do when they're sleeping if they have to be taken outside every time?

Young puppies = 3 am potty breaks. Enjoy! :)

Petsmart's training programs are very, very basic and are more beneficial for the socialization they provide than anything else. They're probably alright for people who have literally no idea how a dog works, but for most people who can figure out how to operate a clicker they're pretty meh.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

tonic316 posted:

Wake up and take them out. Think of a puppy as an infant and a dog as a permanent toddler. This is what you're signing up for.

quote:

PetSmart recently revamped their training program about a year or two ago. What they claim to preach and teach these days is much more in line with a good positive reinforcement trainer, but I haven't seen any of them use a clicker so far, and I've checked with 4-5 of them in a couple of different states. I'll also say that each store is very different. Some of them teach by the corporate method, and others don't, so it's very possible you'll find a force based trainer at PetSmart. If you're considering it, I'd ask if you can observe a class first and take the list I provided in the OP for a good trainer and grade them.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

ButWhatIf posted:

I'd like to throw out a piece of information. I've noticed a lot of people suggesting that a middle-of-the-night potty break is absolutely imperative, and that's not entirely true. While it can be helpful, it's not really 100% necessary. Dogs and humans both secrete antidiuretic hormone or vasopressin, which helps retain water in the body. More of this hormone is secreted at night, which is why we are capable of "holding it" while we sleep (unless we have an imbalance, which causes nocturia). This is also true of dogs. ADH secretion increases during a normal sleep cycle, so unless you suspect your puppy of potentially developing diabetes, or you plan on letting him sleep for more than 6 or 7 hours consecutively, you shouldn't need a midnight tinkle.

I put this on page like 4 or 5, but I think it bears repeating. We did do a 3 am bathroom run for our pup when she was in the 8-10 week range, and if you're going to bed around 10 or 11, it wouldn't hurt. Just keep in mind that some pups wake up for their late-night potty run and then want to play, so it may also be difficult to get your dog on a consistent sleep schedule at first as well.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

Rixatrix posted:

My best friend since grade school was so scared of dogs she actually worried she wouldn't be able to visit my place ever again once I got Pi. I talked her into coming over when Pi was a wee pup ("He's 8 weeks old! Babies aren't scary!") and as Pi grew, my friend gradually got over her fear: first she was ok with just Pi and now she is fine with all dogs. I helped on the way by teaching her how to "speak dog" since she had no idea how to read dog body language.

Like Engineer Lenk said, I think a lot of it is learning that many of the things people who are afraid of dogs interpret as threatening aren't in fact threatening at all, and on the other hand you learn how to react if the dog seems worried or aggressive. With my friend it helped a lot that Pi is basically bomb proof with people. I have a picture of my friend hugging young Pi after she'd given him a chew bone as a present. Pi is holding the bone and he doesn't look pleased to say the least. I asked my friend what she thought Pi felt when she gave him the bone and then tried to be affectionate and then we looked at the picture together to figure out what was really going on. (The situation in the picture happened when I was out of the room - I would've intervened had I known.) Things like this helped her a lot.

Also, Shelties come in a variety of temperaments and many of the agility Shelties are more intense than pretty much any Corgi (even the ones in sports homes). With both breeds (or any breed for that matter) I'd put a ton of research into the temperament aspect of the litter.

This is really encouraging to hear. It's a long road yet, but he has said he might be willing to try. :)

I don't want a Sheltie. I don't like their appearance. Sorry for the confusion.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MrFurious posted:

PetSmart recently revamped their training program about a year or two ago. What they claim to preach and teach these days is much more in line with a good positive reinforcement trainer, but I haven't seen any of them use a clicker so far, and I've checked with 4-5 of them in a couple of different states. I'll also say that each store is very different. Some of them teach by the corporate method, and others don't, so it's very possible you'll find a force based trainer at PetSmart. If you're considering it, I'd ask if you can observe a class first and take the list I provided in the OP for a good trainer and grade them.

I talked to one of the people there and they say its all positive reinforcement training. But it is in a group setting with other dogs. They do have a clicker class that teaches tricks with a clicker. I presume by "forced based trainer" you mean not positive reinforcement?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Bogwoppit posted:

This is really encouraging to hear. It's a long road yet, but he has said he might be willing to try. :)

I don't want a Sheltie. I don't like their appearance. Sorry for the confusion.

I will give some more support. I had some bad experiences with dogs growing up and straight up didn't care for them and was slightly afraid as well, and being exposed to a puppy who knew me and the great exposure to other dogs that came from that quickly got me over that. I still have a hard time with the ones that jump a lot, but I realized that a lot of what I was afraid of or didn't like was not meant maliciously in almost all cases.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

Asnorban posted:

I will give some more support. I had some bad experiences with dogs growing up and straight up didn't care for them and was slightly afraid as well, and being exposed to a puppy who knew me and the great exposure to other dogs that came from that quickly got me over that. I still have a hard time with the ones that jump a lot, but I realized that a lot of what I was afraid of or didn't like was not meant maliciously in almost all cases.
That's awesome to hear. :) I hope we can succeed. I'm totally fine if it's too much. I don't want anyone to think I'm forcing this issue - We've spoken twice about it this year. If Mike is scared, I will stop.

When you felt most against dogs, would you have been comfortable going to see a dog and her puppies? Would that have felt too much?
Trying to judge how awful a sensation that is. I can only get so much straight info from Mike before he changes the subject.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

tonic316 posted:

I talked to one of the people there and they say its all positive reinforcement training. But it is in a group setting with other dogs. They do have a clicker class that teaches tricks with a clicker. I presume by "forced based trainer" you mean not positive reinforcement?
You can be a positive reinforcement trainer and never use a clicker, though it is really useful in some aspects of training. When teaching everyday behaviors (and even most more advanced behaviors for dog sports etc.), clickers are by no means mandatory, but many people find them useful and like to use them. "Force based trainer" does not equal "not positive reinforcement", it's a bit more complicated than that. However that is probably a pretty adequate simplification for you to make decisions on where you want to take classes with your dog.

[Training nerd time! A "positive trainer" can (and should, in my opinion) employ e.g. negative reinforcement when appropriate and be honest and open about the inherent positive punishment in training. You can read more about the quadrants of learning theory (positive/negative punishment/reinforcement) in any good training book or a psych textbook if you want to know more or just check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning ]

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

tonic316 posted:

Rixatrix covered this pretty well already (as usual). Be aware that lots of lousy trainers call themselves positive trainers, just as force based trainers can and do hold CPDTs.

Force based typically refers to trainers who use correction based training and generally do not use treats. For example, they'll teach leash walking with leash and collar pops, usually on a choke or prong collar, the idea being that if the dog wants to avoid the leash pop, they'd better not stray ahead of you.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

My verdict on your roommate is that he's a complete idiot/rear end in a top hat for adopting a puppy when he clearly doesn't care about its safety and well being. Please do the right thing and take it back to the shelter so it can be rescued by someone who's willing to put in the time and effort to care for an animal.

Let me break this down for you, just so you can understand how big of a scumbag your roommate is:

Hey! My roommate got a 12 week puppy, some sort of lab-mix

quote:

Labs (and their misc. mutts) are high energy dogs that need a lot of exercise. Also since it's a mutt you have no loving clue how big this dog is going to get, which can be bad news bears for most apartment dwellers. Unless your roommate happens to not be a lazy douche bag about taking it out a lot (and from what you've posted it sure doesn't sound like he is)...the dog is at risk for becoming overweight and not well socialized from a lack of being around other people and dogs. Owning a dog in the city takes A LOT of extra work to give the dog a safe home and healthy lifestyle. Clearly your roommate is not willing to do it.

Tiny Faye fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Bogwoppit posted:

When you felt most against dogs, would you have been comfortable going to see a dog and her puppies? Would that have felt too much?
Trying to judge how awful a sensation that is. I can only get so much straight info from Mike before he changes the subject.

I didn't particularly like going to friend's with dog's houses. I would do it, but I would definitely be a bit more reserved lest I rouse the dog too much. I never was in a situation with a mom and multiple puppies, so I can't really say there. But it probably would have been a bit daunting, unless I knew I wouldn't be subjected to more than one or two at a time.