Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
Two weeks ago I adopted a two year old Australian Shepherd and renamed her Laika. She previously lived in an outdoor pen on a ranch and her owner had to give her up after getting divorced and moving off of the ranch.

Aside from some initial fear of going up steps, walking on linoleum, and other things that come with living indoors for the first time, she has been awesome. She has learned her new name, comes when called, walks nearly perfectly on and off leash, hasn't had any accidents in the house, leaves the cat alone, and goes in her crate when told and sometimes on her own to nap.

She is shy and very submissive and I suspect that she had contact with only a few different people as a puppy. I brought her over to my friend's house and while shy at first, she was fine with their Aussie, Zedd, and my friends who were instructed to be calm around her.

Other than the shyness, my only (admittedly minor) issue thus far is that she doesn't seem to know how to play. She is uninterested in toys and gets scared when I try to run around and get her excited. One of my friends said that they saw her pick up a stick that Zedd was playing with but that's the only time that she has even picked anything up.

I have been trying to do clicker training but she gets scared and will sometimes spit out the treats I give her. I have been working on teaching sit and also trying to get her interested in toys but it has been slow. I bought a tennis ball with a squeaker and it gets her attention and she will sometimes lick it but that's it.

My plan right now is to have her play with Zedd some more and also slowly clicker train her when she shows interest in her ball. Does anyone have any tips or experiences to share? I know that it hasn't been long since I got her and that I should be patient, but advice from other people who have been through this would be helpful at this stage.

Some pictures...

In Rattlesnake Creek

Laying nice with the cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU