Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Yay, it's finally done! Great job, Furious.

It would be easy enough to cram all the info into a pdf with all the SA links taken out and host it somewhere if people wanted to share it. That way no one has to build or maintain a whole website or anything. Or just link them to a google doc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Alright, I have compiled the thread into a pdf with a changed intro, links to some books and videos recommended instead of the training thread, and I think I got all of the SA links off. I just don't know where to host it. I'll also work on making the google doc we planned the thread out on readable and accessible for folks. Gotta spread that knowledge!

Edit: Here is the thread in a google doc you can share with folks.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 12, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Duxwig posted:

We know he's more geared toward the working/hunting dogs and that will be some of their temperament. I get your sentiment that unless its really good, why risk it, but so far this is the best we've located so far(by referrals from people that deal w/ vizslas). We talked to another breeder who only does a litter once in blue moon and he had recommended them too. That breeder sat on the phone w my girlfriend for a good 30 mins. Girlfriend spoke to the breeder I linked to for 20-30 mins about various things, she talked to him about the working dog issue and he told her that he started that way but its near impossible to sell only to hunters so he sells for family pets also. They'll help board the dog, train the dog for hunt etc, so seems they are mostly geared to hunting dogs.
Going to call the place tomorrow to talk more to wife there, since he's at the German All Breed Championship in IL to Monday.

As long as you (and the breeder) have evaluated your ability to care for a high energy dog and you are able to get proof of hip evaluations that breeder looks great to me. He seems highly invested in the work his breed was bred to do, he is communicating with you well, appears to take interest in his pups after they leave him and comes recommended by other owners and breeders. Is he a :byodame:FURBABIES kind of breeder? No. But his puppies look bright eyed, clean and healthy and clearly are able to do what the breed is supposed to. The puppies in those pictures are in crates but the crates are spotless. It really doesn't look like a mill.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I think you have a good plan in place and seem to have given this decision lots of thought. While I think a carefully selected adult rescue or an older rescue puppy could definitely work in your situation, if you understand all the terrible hassle that comes with puppies and/or dachshunds and still want one go for it.

Dominance in dogs is really a myth so don't worry about one dog being "dominant" towards the other or feed them at different times or anything like that. They will work out their own social dynamic. That being said, you have an older man who may want some puppy free time so if Elvis is giving calming signals (yawning, turning away, lip licking, etc) and the puppy isn't leaving him alone you will want to intervene and let Elvis have some time to himself. Also be sure you take the puppy out and about by itself so it can become well socialized and not dependent on Elvis to feel comfortable in life. A puppy kindergarten or training class would be excellent for this.

Since you want a puppy be very carefully about finding an excellent breeder. Breeding dogs should be clear of IVDD, PRA, luxating patellas, thyroid problems and epilepsy and the breeder should be able to provide proof. Also be sure that the breeder takes temperament into consideration because a barky little poo poo (more so than a regular dachshund is) would not turn out to be a good apartment dog.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 4, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I imagine you aren't the only person in your city who lives in a high rise so chances are there are dogs available for adoption that have lived in apartments before and are used to city life. It would just take a lot of patience and looking to find the right one. Like I said, it sounds like you're doing everything right and you do have some very legitimate restrictions so if you want a puppy from a breeder don't let anyone make you feel bad about it.

There is the chance that new puppy will see that Elvis is chill about everything and not become a barker, but there is also a chance that Elvis will hear this new dog barking at things and join in so be prepared for that. Since you are familiar with training out barking anyway you probably will just need to be sure to reward Elvis for being quiet even if new puppy is barking while you work on training him/her.

Most importantly if you get a mini doxie puppy it is critically important that you post a million pictures because goddam they are cute. Especially the long hairs. I knew one named Greta that would curl up in a little ball in my lap at dog daycare :3:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Three Olives posted:

I think this might be a smart idea but it may be incredibly stupid so I'm just throwing it out. My mom has a highrise adjusted miniture Yorkie and is going out of town for a week later this month. My idea is to dog sit and just see how things go with Elvis. Absolute worst case I have to put it in boarding across the street and it goes back home when my mom gets back. Best case everything goes great, or I learn what problems I might have to deal with and can do my best research on them before I commit to the lifetime of a puppy.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like a good trial run option! It's definitely a good way to see what having a second dog may be like without a lot of pressure. If you have a drunk friend come over and pee on your floor and break some of your stuff while you are watching the dogs it will help approximate the puppy owning experience.

Obvious thing is just make sure to let your mom know that there is a chance the dog will end up in a kennel briefly and make sure she's ok with it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Koth posted:

edit: Another question, Dr. Ian Dunbar always mentions freeze-dried liver as a great treat. Is this something that people make themselves, or can I buy it somewhere. I have yet to see any 100% freeze-dried liver in any of the pet stores I've been to.

I've seen this brand of FD Liver in most pet stores and it really is like dog crack. I just make my own baked liver now because it's way cheaper. Just boil some liver slices for about 10 minutes, drain, and bake at 200F for 2-3 hours then cut into itty bitty pieces for a super high value treat. If you're just doing regular daily training MrFurious is right and using the pup's regular meals is a great idea.

Dawn dishwashing soap works fine for stinky puppies. I really like biogroom protein lanolin shampoo if you want to get fancier. It's light, easy to wash out, and isn't super perfume-y.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 23, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

mombot posted:

Sorry - bake at what temp? I bought some beef liver and chicken livers. I do raw 2-3 times a week and was going to add that in, but I like the idea of making treats even more. I really need to do some major work with Coco (wanting to train her to be a therapy dog).

Derp. 200 F should work. Just flip it every hour or so and take it out when its hard.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

MrFurious posted:

You're right, good post. Speaking of her book, she references that she teaches a loose heel and a "go away" signal at the same time, but I've never been able to find any information on that. It reads like she uses "go away" as a release, but I'm not sure that's the case. Has anyone seen any information on that?

Yeah, she uses it as a release. She'll sit in an enclosed area, reward the dog for coming over/interacting with her/heeling for a few steps, then release it to go sniff or play until the dog chooses to come back and work some more. She goes over it a lot more thoroughly in the Control Unleashed Puppy Program book.

vv Yep, that's it. Maybe you could try with just a long line instead of a barrier?

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 1, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

In many areas selling a dog before 8 weeks is against the law and I would never give someone money for a puppy that they were selling that young. Those two extra weeks are where they learn bite inhibition and proper dog social behavior. Right now the puppy is just an infant so of course he's going to cry through the night in a new place away from his family for the first time. In two weeks he might be better but it might also be something that's going to take a while to go away.

Really though, I would run away from this breeder.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Asnorban posted:

Thanks! It is my wife's mother-in-law who happened to have a batch of labradoodles, so it isn't a from a breeder really. We talked to her and she is OK with us sending the puppy back for another few weeks, though we will likely make some trips down to visit and keep up a relationship with the puppy for that time to hopefully further ease into the transition.

Please let me know if getting puppies this way is a bad idea for some reason. I have never really wanted to go to a breeder as I would prefer to rescue. This one just happened to fall into our laps and was a labradoodle, which is one of the few dogs I am particularly fond of due to my landlord having the best dog in the world and it being a labradoodle.

If she is breeding them, she's a breeder. I know she's related to you so you probably don't want to think she's a bad person (and I'm sure she's not!) but that doesn't mean she has any business breeding dogs. I've met a lot of doodles with poor temperaments and expensive health problems because people are breeding them willynilly and relying on "hybrid vigor" to keep them healthy. If someone is breeding them they should be doing health testing suggested for both labs and poodles, that means hip and elbow testing, CERF eye testing, PRA testing, cardiac screening, thyroid testing, and vWD testing or pedigree clearance. Doodles can also be highly variable in coat and personality since they are a mixed breed so just because your landlord's dog is awesome doesn't mean this puppy will be the same.

Personally, I would look into rescuing a labradoodle if I wanted one unless the breeder was doing extensive health testing, competing in some venue with them, and had a specific goal they were breeding towards.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Asnorban posted:

It was an oops litter and she just wants to make sure they go to loving homes. She is pretty attached to the puppies and has been taking great care of them, we just jumped the gun a bit on taking the puppy for the weekend to see if it was compatible.

Since your wife is already attached I would focus now on making sure they are properly socialized. This is one real advantage of getting a puppy from a good breeder. Even in a quiet home with no visitors these puppies should be experiencing new surfaces to walk on, hearing all sorts of household sounds, starting potty training, getting used to wearing a collar, and learning some basic rules about life like sitting to wait for food. Ideally the breeder should have men, women, children of all ages, people with "accessories" like crutches or wheelchairs, people wearing hats or with crazy beards and really anyone else they can round up coming to visit these puppies in a clean and safe way. Baby puppies are like little sponges and it's a shame to waste this valuable socialization period.

Since the parents don't have health testing and I'm guessing aren't from great places themselves if they haven't been fixed or properly contained I would be really thorough about looking up what labs and poodles are prone to and knowing the signs to look for. Just because the parents have been to the vet and "look healthy" doesn't mean they aren't carrying genetic problems or have relatives with issues that you don't know about. It can be really heartbreaking to find out your sweet little puppy has a congenital problem that will cause pain, disability or death that could have been prevented with proper health testing.

As long as you aren't paying for the puppy and the owner is getting her bitch fixed there are worse things in the world than taking this pup. Is it a great situation? Not really. But the puppy is here and you're attached to it. Just really stress to the owner of the mom that she needs to get the bitch fixed since she clearly isn't containing her properly.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Just one thing about the protocol for relaxation, my vet behaviorist warned me that if you aren't paying attention to your dog it can actually make them more stressed. Don't rush through all the steps just because that's how its laid out. If you dog seems stressed (looking away, lip licking, yawning, etc) or is repeatedly breaking their sit go back and do an earlier "day" for a few days before progressing again.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

A dog that pees that much is probably more insecure and anxious than "submissive". He might be going through a second fear period and you may have to work to make him more confident in his surroundings (training and dog sports are great for this) and as he grows he'll probably pee less. The thing is that he may also start acting much differently. Rat terriers are feisty and active little dogs. Be prepared for barking and leaping and chewing and general pain in the rear end-ness. If you do regular training and keep him physically worn out with plenty of exercise and puzzle toys he will probably be a perfectly manageable little beast though. It depends on how much you are willing to put in and what your lifestyle is like.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Yeah, I think you are telling me what I was thinking. I was somewhat wary of the whole "rat terrier" thing. I asked what his energy level was going to be (they have the mom) and the rescue lady seems to think they'll be moderate and that a couple of walks and running around my (large) yard would be enough. I'm uncertain of that.

When you say "Be prepared for barking and leaping and chewing and general pain in the rear end-ness." Do you mean because he's a puppy or because of breed traits.

Both :)

Puppies are little hellions in general but every rat terrier I've met have been barky, spring-loaded little spitfires. "Moderate" energy is very subjective too. A moderately active terrier is still a lot to handle for a lot of people. How long of walks were you planning on? Were you planning on just setting him in the yard and hoping he would exercise himself or would you/your kid be out with him playing?

Is it possible to take the pup for a trial run for a while? I know the rescue I got my dog from does a 2 week trial period as a rule in addition to accepting dogs back at any point if anything happens and you can't keep it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Thanks for the input all. You are only re-enforcing what my gut is telling me.

The rescuer says they are good with kids and cats, but then in the next breath says they haven't been around kids or cats.

The rescuer says they are like little couch potatoes, but how can she know that.

The dog was hopping around on the grass and she made a comment that he wasn't used to grass, and in the back of my mind I'm wondering if she's fostering him in a parking lot.

I'll give it a day and send a nice note that a puppy will be to much for us.

A 5 month old dog who isn't comfortable being on grass? Yikes. That does not sound like a great foster situation.

I think you're making a good decision, as tough as it is to walk away from a cute little puppy. I would go ahead and write down your list of things that you need, want but are flexible about, and absolutely can't have in a dog and present them to some rescues in your area that foster their dogs. They'll help guide you to a dog that will fit your life and family and may be able to keep their ears open even if they don't have a dog that will work for you. Good rescues are great at networking.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Fraction posted:

Slap a leash on him, tie him to something, and brush him. Feed high value treats whilst brushing - but whether or not he likes it, he gets brushed.

The best time to do it is when you get back from a walk, as he'll have a collar and harness on and you can just bring him straight inside and brush.

I would do it before walks instead, so the walk is a nice reward after brushing time.

What I do is smear peanut butter on a wall or cabinet so my dog is standing in one spot and then brush/apply flea drops/look in ears/whatever. Since your dog bolts I would leash him and either tie it or step on it, then apply peanut butter and carry on with brushing.

Also work on desensitizing him to the brushing experience. Do one brush stroke and cram a super high value treat in his mouth and release him for a bit. Slowly build up to whole brushing sessions and he should be much happier about brush time.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

When I worked at a dog daycare/boarding facility the dogs I least looked forward to seeing on the schedule were a pair of huskies from a family. They worked together in a way that no other sibling dogs I met did and were probably the only dogs I've met who have cared about "dominance". At their home they regularly worked together to kill any small animal that came in to their yard (including neighborhood cats), and at daycare they spent the whole time cowing all the other dogs into submission and eyeing the little dog runs. The female would stare down other dogs and the male would come around and flip them. It was nuts and you had to stay on top of them the whole time or they would start 2 on 1 fights.

I would not wish a pair of huskies, even from good responsible breeders, on anyone but the most dedicated racing enthusiast. Do more research, contact local breed or sledding clubs and for the love of god don't get two puppies at once.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

TVs Ian posted:

Thank you, that was very interesting. I guess if Frankie is an example of what early neutering does, Lucy is the poster child for late-spaying. But you just can't fix something who came out of the womb so broken :D

Riiseli- It is less the behavioral end of it (we can handle the 'love addled' brainlessness etc) but more the mess control. Tonka went in to heat about 2 weeks before her spay was scheduled and dog panties are a thing I would like to forget forever....

E:spel

This article about neutering is in the PI rules post and I found it very informative.

Personally I think its something that is between you and your vet to decide and you shouldn't feel pressured either way by what internet dog ladies have to say about it. By all means be as informed as possible, but there are a lot of ~feelings~ about neutering right now so try not to get caught up in it all.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 25, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Matty D posted:

This is killing this dog. She's chewing everything. She doesn't pay attention / respond to me. Her learning is completely stunted.

Is this me being gone for a weeks, the meds, the lack of exercise, or probably all of the above? Do you think it will get better once she can go to the park and run around a bit? I'm only worried because I don't want this difficult stretch of time to develop a gamut of bad behavioral habits for her that will continue into the future.

She is probably bored out of her skull and will get better once she is back to normal exercise. In the meantime do lots of training and puzzle toys to wear her out mentally. If she's totally blowing you off she can stay on a leash attached to you around the house until she remembers you exist. Feed her meals in things like kongs, wobblers, treat balls, etc or use them in training.

It's only 2 weeks, it shouldn't do any permanent damage.

buttslave posted:

Thanks! If anybody has any more resources for the Austin TX area I'd greatly appreciate it. I'll look into taking her to that behaviorist in College Station.

Also, it seems a local no-kill offers resources for keeping animals in their homes :
http://www.austinpetsalive.org/get-pet-help/pass/

Seems like a sweet program - I'll call them tomorrow.

Definitely reach out to other professionals. A vet behaviorist is so valuable when you have a dog with issues. If you haven't already pick up Don't Leave Me and start working on those exercises as well.

Keep in mind psych meds can take 4-6 weeks to fully kick in and sometimes you have to try several to find the one that works for your dog. My dog couldn't stay on prozac but he's on zoloft now and it works great. A vet behaviorist will be able to guide you through that much better than your regular vet.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Snowmankilla posted:

On to the question. My wife and I have always wanted to rescue a dog form the pound, not buy from a breeder. How do I look for a dog that has the traits I am looking for, without it being a pure breed? I would want on the smaller side, not need to go for 2 hour walks every day, and want to curl up in my lap at night. We are not in a hurry to get a dog, so I want to make sure I have my homework done first.

In addition to what fraction suggested, check out breed specific or small dog specific rescues. Some of them have obnoxious furbaby descriptions and ridiculously long applications but their dogs are generally in foster homes so I'm sure you can find one that will help you find a dog that fits your needs.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

coyo7e posted:

I was looking around the forums and was slightly surprised to not find almost anything about Boxers, and maybe one or two goons in PI who own them? I dunno, I thought they weer a more common breed than that. I'm going to be driving down to a foster family's house in the next week or two to meet a 2 year old female boxer that is up for adoption, named Vanessa.

I really like boxers. They're active and sporty and fun. I've never met one that wasn't bouncy and full of joy (unless they had a thyroid problem). What holds me back is the brachycephaly and their endless health problems. I know someone who does boxer rescue and she has experienced boxers just dropping dead of unknown heart problems in a play session on more than one occaison. And that's just one health issue of many. The American Boxer Club website has a lot of great information about the breed, their positives, and things to watch out for.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

She's a tiny, sickly baby who has just been taken away from the only family she's known and placed in a strange new world. She's probably stressed and dogs can't eat when they're that stressed. Just chill out and give her time to settle. I'm sure she'll get the hang of treats in time.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Try contacting private rescues in your area and seeing if they will do a courtesy posting for you. Just explain your situation and say you don't mind holding on to the dog while you search but you need help finding a new home for him.

Ed. I think Skizzles is involved in rescue in KY, you could try PMing her.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 5, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Chimeric posted:

Does anyone know of a good way to tie a Kong to something? I noticed a couple of occasions where Ian Dunbar mentioned tying one to the inside of a crate or to an eyehook on the wall but I haven't had any success... usually the Kong slips out of the loop without too much tugging or the knot comes undone (the only string I had that seemed strong enough was a little slick).

If you can't get your knot to stay I've heard of people using these kongs and removing the foam inside that makes them float. Otherwise just work on your knotwork.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 12, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ugh I thought surely I could dig up some decent poodle breeder in those states but it's just a clusterfuck of puppymills. Even the "good" ones look terrible :psyboom:

I would start looking out of state or at miniature instead of toy poodles if you are set on going to a breeder.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Maksimus54 posted:

I'm not new to being around dogs, I just worry that I don't know enough about them to properly care for one. I probably do know enough, I'm just a bit concerned I guess and would like someone to point me in the right direction to dog ownership.

Like everyone has said, unless it's a really obsessive shelter they're not going to turn you down flat out if this is your first dog. We all have to have a first dog once! If you are worried about not having enough experience being a dog owner maybe you can start out volunteering for a shelter or rescue or find someplace that will do a foster to adopt program. The rescue I got my dog from gave everyone a 2 week trial period where they could return the dog no questions asked in case they felt too overwhelmed or just couldn't handle that particular dog.

Everyone gets nervous when adding a dog (or any pet) to their household so try not to let that stop you. Its totally normal to bring a dog home and then freak out because all of a sudden you have this whole other being in your house that you are solely responsible for. I know I did! You just take it one day at a time and eventually you won't be able to imagine life without them.

In addition to the books 2tomorrow listed, look through the dog training thread and when you get your dog sign up for a good, positive training class right away. This will help you bond with your new buddy and your trainer can be a great support to fall back on.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Scrubber posted:

Does anyone remember where this sort of panels can be bought?

I'm not entirely clear about what you're asking about but maybe something like this?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Scrubber posted:

Like this:

But smaller, lighter and with bigger holes in the wire mesh, so each panel is very cheap. The ones I find while googling seem to be heavy duty, designed to actually contain a dog, and consequently somewhat expensive. The kind we have here are very light, almost decorative, and they would only discourage a dog, but they're very cheap, so you could easily block off an entire couch in an area where the puppy would always be supervised.

So like these things? They're pretty popular as rabbit and guinea pig alternatives so they come up a lot.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Goldmund posted:

I'm really close to putting a deposit down on this little guy.

Spent about 30 minutes talking to the breeder so far, and have been very impressed with her knowledge and the answers she had to the list of questions in the OP. Anyone care to take a look at their site and see if any red flags pop up?

http://www.bigsheltiekisses.com

I'm not seeing the health testing she has done on either parent on OFFA.org. Has she done it and not sent it to OFFA? If that's the case I would want to see proof if I was getting a puppy from her. I would also ask why she appears to have chosen not to test for eye abnormalities before putting a deposit down. The sheltie club requires that for receiving a CHIC number so I'm guessing its a problem in the breed.

All in all they don't seem terrible and if she can provide that information I think she would be a alright breeder for picking up a family pet. I like that they put their contract right on their site and even though they recommend certain foods and vitamins they aren't required in the contract.

Edit:
After digging through another breeder's cached page to try to figure out the dam's pedigree I discovered the sire, Forbes's, great grandmother is also the dam, Pompeii's, mother so I personally would want to know what qualities they are hoping to really cement into their lines by linebreeding on her. Not to say inbreeding is a dealbreaker but I would want to see a lot of thought behind it.

vvv Why did they choose to breed to him before he was 2 and had final testing is something else I would ask. vvv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 25, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Goldmund posted:

Thanks for the input. I'm looking for a pet, no plans to show or compete at all. My previous dog was a sheltie, and I had one as a kid as well. Terminally boring seems pretty harsh, both of mine were active and intelligent dogs. I'll call this evening and get some more info on the eye testing. She said that they had complete tests for both sets of grandparents, but wouldn't be able to do one test on the father until he was two years old (not sure if that was for eyes or not).

So did she not test the dam then? This is the dam's mother who only had hip testing done but her hips are good and her father who also has good hips but no other testing recorded. There is no record of the dam as one of their offspring but sometimes records get messed up. Definitely ask for either record numbers you can look up yourself for the parents or to see paper copies. Even preliminary testing since the sire isn't old enough for final OFFA scoring would have been a good idea before breeding him.

Just for your knowledge here is the sire's sire who does have his eyes tested as well as hips and thyroid and his dam who only had hips recorded.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

pumpie2 posted:

Thank you for your advice. We are buying him a muzzle just in case he gets out and are planning on keeping him contained/ controlled as much as possible at all times until I can organise a trainer evaluation.
Does anybody know how I can find a good trainer for the area? (Wrexham, North Wales)
Thanks again.

These folks seem to know terriers and say they only use positive methods. I have no idea if they are actually in your area but they may be a good place to start. If they aren't near you they may be able to recommend someone who is.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Psychobabble! posted:

Hey thread, me again. I've been looking around at Washington breeders (from the GSD club of WA) and the pickings are kinda slim(most haven't updated in years, or I don't like how their dogs look, etc). I found a couple that looked promising and shot off some emails about possible spring litters, and I've only heard back from one breeder so far. I have some questions, though.

Does that look like a decent breeder? I'm still new to this :ohdear:. If not, does anyone have a recommendation for a GSD breeder in Washington(preferred), or Oregon/montana/idaho?

Thanks thread, you're awesome.

Hopefully one of the PI folks that are in to GSDs will help you out because they confuse the heck out of me. There are so many different varieties with different issues that it really is hard to just find a pet.

Here are some sites outlining the differences between German/American/working lines
http://www.ottogsd.com/GermanvsAmericanlines.htm
http://www.wildhauskennels.com/gsdtypes.htm
http://www.vonlotta.com/aboutgsd.html

The sire of that litter does have health clearances done on his hips and elbows and he did pass the titling required to be bred by German standards, although I would want to know what exactly the dog passed from, especially since he would only be 3. If was hit by a car in a freak accident but was otherwise an excellent specimen of a GSD thats one thing, but I would be worried that he had some genetic condition that contributed to his early death. All GSD lines have health issues far beyond joint problems that I would research thoroughly and ask about.

He does have the typical weird roaching of German show line dogs although he isn't as bad as some and isn't super long like a lot of American line dogs. If I were you I would get involved in local schutzhund clubs or tracking/SAR clubs where there are a lot of GSDs participating and get to know non-show breeders in your area. Health testing is a must, but I would value actual working titles way higher than championships in either AKC or German conformation shows.

Washington GSD rescue has some cute young dogs for adoption :3:

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 29, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

ANGRY_KOREA_MAN posted:

Some advice on how to groom or the best grooming products to use would be helpful.

I have heard good things about the FURminator.

Your breeder should have good advice about grooming and asking the folks in the grooming thread might be a good idea also. I don't think a furminator would work well on that type of coat and could end up damaging it because its basically a blade on a handle. Something like an undercoat rake would probably work better.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It seems like this breeder is specifically breeding for fancy colors that I don't think are able to be shown and for giant flat faces which can cause breathing and health problems. She seems to even put down other breeders for breeding for dogs who are able to whelp naturally :psyduck: The sire appears to have such pinched nostrils that I'm surprised that it can breathe through its nose at all (this may just be a Boston thing but it would scare me off).

Why is she breeding these two dogs, just because she has them and thinks they're pretty? She says the sire is tested for genetic cataracts but do both parents have their knees tested for luxating patellas? What about deafness? The breeder should be able to give you proof of this testing even if she does not list it online at offa.org. What all does her health guarantee entail? Does it cover congenital problems that pop up later in life or just that the puppy won't drop dead as soon as you get it home?

She isn't the worst toy dog breeder ever but personally I'm not impressed and it's not someone I would give $1800 to for a ~unique~ colored puppy. If you're going to spend that much on a Boston get the healthiest, most moderate one you can find. Find a breeder who actually does stuff with their dogs, hopefully stuff that requires moving and breathing, and support them in making a less trainwreck-y Boston. Or go to a rescue and pick up the same dog for cheap and support them instead.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Aethersphere posted:

My husband and I are looking at getting our first dog in the next six months or so, once we are really sure that we have settled down and have an environment that is going to be good for raising one. We are looking at Shelties through Zesta Shelties, who I think looks pretty legit but I'm not sure.

Is a Sheltie a good dog for a first-time owner? We will be living either in Calgary or Edmonton, depending on how the next couple of months go, so it will be cold in the winter with hot summers. My husband has had border collies in the past, but I've never had a dog. I'm just really, really worried about doing a bad job.

Do you like barking? How about biting? Are you interested in training and dog activities? How much exercise can you give to the pup? Shelties are small but they're still herding dogs so they're active and smart and tend to find ways to entertain themselves if you don't do it for them (you will not like their ways). Herder puppies love love looooove to bite and run and then bite some more so be sure that is something you are prepared for.

That breeder doesn't look bad although I wish they did more health testing. In their info page they say that shelties aren't prone to any physical problems but from what I've seen most breed clubs suggest they be tested for hip problems, several eye problems, and thyroid deficiencies so I would ask the breeder if she has experienced any health issues in her lines and ask to see any health testing results from the puppy's parents. In general I've heard shelties are pretty hardy though so maybe she just doesn't feel like testing is necessary? That's something you'll have to decide for yourself after speaking to her and asking about her position though.

I LOVE that the breeder has obedience and agility titles on her dogs. Herding dogs are supposed to be versatile so the fact that her dogs aren't just fancy puffballs that trot around the ring sometimes is a good sign. A lot of shelties I've met have been nervy and have issues in public so the fact that her dogs are out getting titles other than conformation means she probably is considering temperament in breeding too. Definitely meet her dogs and ask about what temperaments are like in her lines though.

All in all if you think you can handle a herding puppy she seems like a pretty good choice. The breeder should be able to talk to you about shelties specifically and answer any specific questions. Showdog ladies love talking dog so give her a call and let her sperg for a while and then see if you think the breed is a good fit for you.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I was pretty sure she was. I'm not sure if there are acceptable levels of byb, though. We actually got her number from a high-quality, reputable breeder. They specifically recommended this lady to us. Is there any chance buying from her isn't a total train wreck?

If the dam of your puppy was too terrified to get off the ground to say hi to you and these puppies have met only 4 people ever so far I would be really, really, really concerned about your future puppy's temperament. If you choose to get this puppy it will be an uphill battle to make up for its lack of early socialization and even then it could have a genetically poor temperament due to it's mom being so skittish. I'm sure it is appealing to get a deal but let me tell you that vet behaviorist visits to try to correct behavior issues add up really quickly. The whole reason to go to a breeder is to get a puppy with the best start possible and this sure isn't it.

princecoo posted:

Pretty much any advice regarding a malamute husky cross would be appreciated.

Read the primitive breed thread. Make sure your puppy gets socialized well, exercised extensively (in age appropriate ways), and be careful with it around your cat and infant. Those breeds tend to have a high prey drive and I have heard too many stories of people coming home to find their husky has eating their cat/rabbit/guinea pig. Teach it early how to correctly interact with the cat and read this blog about how to teach your kids how to be safe around the dog.

You couldn't pay me enough to deal with a high energy puppy and an infant at the same time. Good luck.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Trauma Tank posted:

Finally, I am not planning to get a puppy, or even planning on a purebred, and am aware that the disposition will be something of a mystery in that case. I am looking to adopt from a local shelter and will be limited by what they have at the time, but would like to have some ideas of what kind of dog would work for my situation so I can at least ask the right questions when the time comes.

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this, but it was the best fitting thread I could find.

A retired greyhound or a mellow older dog of any sort would probably fit you just fine. I would make a list of all your requirements (energy level, grooming requirements, size, etc), things you like but are flexible about, and things you can not deal with (high energy, separation anxiety, etc). Take that to a shelter or rescue that does thorough evaluations and have them show you dogs that might fit. A rescue that uses foster homes would probably be your best bet for an accurate evaluation of how the dog will fit your lifestyle.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Would I be correct in my assessment that it would probably be a bad idea to buy a puppy from "hobbyist" breeders whose website features 10 dogs on their "Our Moms" page, and 6 dogs on their "Our Dads" page. Also, the page is in Comic Sans.

A friend was looking at them for an upcoming litter, and based on the obsessive reading I've been doing for my own dog search, they seem pretty wonky.

Dog breeders are notoriously terrible at websites and often like cutesy terms but that would throw up red flags for me. Some responsible breeders do have that many dogs if they are small dogs or if several of them were co-owned and live with other people but I would want to know what the dogs have done to merit becoming "moms and dads" before signing up for any litters. Health testing (not just "the vet said she's healthy!") and some sort of evaluation by an outside party (showing, sports, active work) is the bare minimum to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

What opinions do you guys have on breed DNA Tests, like those found on Amazon? Are they generally reliable? I'm curious about our "shar pei mix" puppy that we rescued.

They get discussed a lot in the mixed breed guessing thread. I'm satisfied with my results from the Wisdom Panel one but it works better with dogs who have fewer breeds involved more recently than mixes of mixes of mixes, which of course you generally don't know and that's why you're doing the test in the first place. If you get a weird answer you can write to the company and they will explain the results to you.

You can generally find them cheaper on ebay if you are patient. Paying $40 makes the risk of getting dumb results a lot easier to handle.