Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It was take you baby to work day today. I don’t know if I love his smiley face or little drumstick legs more :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

We went on a hike with a friend. Small lad is working through some stranger danger so this was great for him. He did 3 miles and ran amok no problem!

Left to right: Gamble, Scout, Gambler, Splash

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

HootTheOwl posted:

Splash isn't big enough to be more scout.
drat scout is an absolute tank

She’s also the only girl there. She’ll be 4 end of March and has transformed into 50 lbs of pure beef. I hook her up to sleds and carts to help around the farm and she can haul 2-3x her body weight no problem.

She also finished the year as the #1 fastest cattle dog in the country for the master level of barn hunt and the #8 master dog of all time for her 2023 average. She’s a barn hunt beast. Rocket hog lives for finding rats.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Pirate Jet posted:

Hey folks. I adopted a dog about a month ago. I haven't lived with an animal since I was 4 so a lot of this is all very new to me. I guess the first thing I'd ask if the OP is still around is if we could get some updated links going. I unfortunately bought a bunch of grain-free food on the recommendation of the old Pet Nutrition thread linked there instead of the current one which warns against going grain-free in its very title. So I guess once this bag is done I'll have to transition him to a new blend - oh well, I've done it once before, I just hope he'll be okay.

The other question is, what does everyone recommend for treats for an overweight dog? He's a mini Australian Shepherd who's about 35 lbs which is overweight. I've booked an appointment with his vet but they didn't have openings until mid March. I was recommended Pupcorn by a dog-owning friend and they've worked pretty well but they're too big to work in stuff like Kong Extremes and Wobblers. So is there any small, low-calorie morsels people prefer? I am allergic to nuts so unfortunately anything peanut butter is right out.

Thanks in advance.

A single bag of grain free food isn’t going to hurt him. I’m pretty sure they found the issue to be the large amount of legumes used in place of grains in some grain free foods causing taurine deficiency in some dogs. I personally don’t feed grain free food but it’s not an automatic death sentence or anything. My dogs just do better on food with grains.

You can measure out your pup’s food allowance for the day and use that as your treats for anything that doesn’t require high value treats. Other low calorie options are things like Charlie Bears, Pet Botanics Minis, cheerios, teeny bits of any freeze dried treats, bits of apple, or a different type/flavor of kibble than usual.

At work we recommend people make a “trail mix” of a bunch of different treats that’s primarily lower value/lower calorie with some good, stinky bits mixed in to give everything a little boost. A few tiny bits of hot dog or cheese or dried fishies go a long way in a trail mix.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I took the whole clown show to tractor supply and Lowe’s today and Scout taught the baby how to mooch treats off of store employees. He’s doing so much better with strangers now! He still has to do a big bark at dogs so they know HES NOT A LITTLE BABY! HES BIG AND STRONG!!! But we’re working on it.

Getting work done at home is basically impossible unless one or both of these hooligans are crated though because they have to do this on top of me every second they are together.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Metis of the Chat Thread posted:

Yeah you absolutely made the right decision in both circumstances both for yourself and the dogs.

Just emphasizing this.

You did a great job knowing your limits and putting those dogs back in situations that were better for all involved.

Be kind to yourselves!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Oh to have dogs that believe in naps

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

We had a photographer come to the dog training place where I work so you know I needed Easter pics of my two.

They have their own Easter baskets. Scout knows how to hold it but was in A Mood and refused.

Gamble did an excellent job remembering stay.

Scout broke a mug, a plastic egg, a decorative carrot and my will to live.

Getting them to pose together without devolving into a wrestling match was just as challenging as you’d expect but we got the shot.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

HootTheOwl posted:

:sigh: dog was not ready for baby to learn crawling, and snapped at her.

Look up Family Paws Parent Education and see if there are any trained providers or virtual classes near you. They seem to be really helpful for integrating babies and dogs safely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Shugojin posted:

Yeah this is the puppy AND DOG thread, a bunch of us are just on the puppy end of the timeline right now

Maple passed the mostly-joke STAR puppy at the end of class tonight. IDK if I'll actually send away for the certificate but it was a nice confirmation that I at least learned enough to keep teaching her.

It cracks me up because at the place I work we have a regular puppy class and the star puppy class that are pretty much the same, star puppy is just longer because akc requires them to be 6 weeks long. People will regularly take our normal puppy class then learn the same stuff in star puppy (they know ahead of time it’s the same stuff) just to get their ribbon at the end.

People love getting ribbons (it’s me, I love getting ribbons).

If you haven’t registered your puppy with akc yet you get 30 days of free pet insurance if you do, that’s my usual selling point for people submitting their certificate to akc. I’m a cgc/star puppy/trick dog evaluator and my own dogs haven’t done any of those titles :shrug: