Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Frankie (who was neutered when he was practically a fetus because the rescue made me) didn't lift his leg on things until Moses started doing it when he hit dog puberty. Now, he only does it when he is intentionally peeing over another dog's pee, OR when he notices someone is watching him pee. (During the latter, he will begin by squatting, then once he notices he is being stared at, will slooooowly lift one of his legs while staring at you very sincerely. Because you saw him. :catstare: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Goonicus posted:

At what age can you begin running with a puppy? He's a Doberman/most likely Mastiff mix. Currently 3 months old at about 25ish lbs.

At 12 weeks, not at all. I wouldn't actually *run* with a dog until at least a year, and with a dog that big I'd wait longer. Until then, I try to keep puppies off of concrete as much as I can and go at their pace. After that, I'll run them, off concrete, until 18 months and will then run then on concrete. That's just me.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Do they get greasy and gross on it? I have chilled out about food so much over the last few years and don't have the energy to sit around doing stupid puppy nutrition spreadsheets like I used to. At the same time, I can't really find any premium food that impress me anymore, there's always something that annoys me about whatever I'm looking at. I'm totally over all the grain-free/freakishly high protein bullshit, but I still have a big stigma against corn/wheat/soy hard wired into my brain. This is the first puppy I've raised where I've planned to just primarily feed kibble, and I still haven't settled on exactly what I want to feed. As someone who has fed nothing but home-cooked/raw supplemented with spergy premium kibble a for years, do you think I'd like Pro plan? I just don't want stinky dogs, massive corn shits, etcetera. I've got like 3or 4days left of kibble in this bag and then I was going to try something else, soooooo....

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I always cover my dogs kibble with water :toot:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I don't think I could handle doing 100% kibble throughout puppy growth because then when they get older and I want to supplement them with stuff they're gonna get the squirts or maybe they'll be like "I'M NOT USED TO THAT I DONT WAAAANT IT" so basically i just turn my dogs into garbage disposals from day 1 done deal

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

SachielDVangel posted:

The other thing I've noticed with this litter is with more adult dog exposure, they are less mouthy without much human intervention or instruction. We put these puppies out with the adults earlier at about 8 weeks, and with all of the adults including the grumpy ones, and they are far less likely to put mouths on you and hesitant to bite play even when played with. When puppies go home at 8 weeks, they have almost none of the structured bite inhibition they'd get from adult dogs, so it's all up to you to teach it. Also, the adult interaction has taught them incredible strange-dog manners, always approaching calmly, cautiously and sensibly. I see ridiculous numbers of puppies in class who facehugger-launch themselves on other dogs and figure that puppy was probably raised in solitary confinement from the other adults they own. Firm but fair is the best approach imo.

This is basically why I have pretty much just always tossed puppies to my older dogs and let them do their thing. Have very rarely had issues with excessive mouthing as a result.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I have been brought to tears by puppy needle teeth a million times and have never smacked the poo poo out of a puppy for it- and that's in private, not in a class full of people. I would get that bitch fired. Not even kidding. She has absolutely no place working with other people's animals if this is how she handles a puppy mouthing her. Either way you do not hit someone elses dog, ever, period, done. gently caress that.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I am genuinely going to smear butter on my arms next time Peep gets mouthy. 10 bux says it ends in a bloodbath when all the dogs decide only they should be allowed to lick my arms and Pin and Peep decide to murder each other (and Frankie) over butter. Then, from that day forward, my arms will be guarded as a resource whether or not butter is present because as a dog, you can never be too careful and if there is not butter now it does not mean that there never *will* be butter and butter has been known to manifest when you least expect it, like when biting arms.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

My last 2 puppies came from working breeders who raised them outside in kennels until I got them (one at 10 weeks, one at....8 I think) and they were fine. As long as they received attention and socialization I can't imagine why it would make a difference.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

If I were going to start with a bag's recomendations, I would start with HALF of what a bag recommends and adjust based on body condition after that. Do no feed according to "guidelines." Keep your puppies thin, just verging on SLIGHTLY underweight. Never free-feed and make food valuable as hell. Done deal.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I've had pits + my boston in apartments. You just have to be willing to deal with getting dressed, putting on a leash, and marching them out for EVERY potty break- I've housetrained puppies in apartments and I wouldn't recommend it if you don't want to go insane. Smaller breeds tend to be what people gravitate towards, but they tend to be more barky and can possibly become nuisances. Wouldn't choose anything super high energy if you're not very active yourself. If you can find a place that will allow large dogs, retired racing greyhounds are plentiful and tend to do amazingly in apartments, they're quiet, chill, etc. If you have to go for something small, just find some nice adult mutt- most rescues can tell you about a dog's activity level and if it's barky or not, and help steer you toward a dog that will be a good match for an apartment dweller.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I think prongs have their place. I train my dogs to walk at a heel on a loose lead (when on a flat collar, I teach them that they are allowed to, and encouraged to, pull if they are wearing a harness) but if I'm taking them somewhere where I know there will be a lot of other dogs, they wear a prong, because there's a good chance having to be "on" with that many dogs around is going to push them over threshold and the ONLY way to keep them from devolving into reactive messes is with the use of a prong. They can handle being walked through a crowd of other calm dogs that are ignoring them, but after a couple of excited dogs lunge at them, that's it. I try to avoid taking them to places where there are tons of dogs when possible, and I train them to follow as many "backup" commands to leave other dogs alone as possible, but I'd rather my dog wear a prong for an hour than have him lose focus, a leash break, poo poo hit the fan, and welp, some grannie's yorkie gets eaten.

For the vast majority of dogs they aren't necessary and get misused, but for very high drive dogs in certain situations, I just don't get all the hate that prongs get. I've used them on several SUPER sensitive pits and none of them had emotional breakdowns or ~trust issues~ over it, and it certainly has never INCREASED reactivity, for me. Moses is the most emotional dog I've ever had and when he sees a prong he's just like "hell yes WE GOIN :buddy:"

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fraction posted:

Put collar on, leave collar on. Bam, done.

Yeah this. They sulk for a while and then they forget about it. Sometimes it takes a while if they decide to be a little bitch about it (my current puppy was sad about wearing a collar for like a month) but usually they get over it in a couple days.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah I stopped using an actual clicker years ago and just use "Good!" as a verbal marker. Mainly because I never remember to have a clicker on me ever no matter what.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

When looking into it we were assured by the rescue that they could make a great family pet. If we were led astray, I apologize? As I stated, I want to make the best of the situation. We give him well over an hour of play every day, he goes running with me, he passes out in the middle of the floor usually, it's really just the barking.

Oh sweetie I'm so sorry. He's not going to stop. He's a pyr. :(

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

We adopted a 1.5 year old corgi mix on Saturday. We have no idea what the other breed(s) could be. His name is Butters and he is ~26 pounds. I'm thinking maybe some shiba or something... I feel like he has some larger breed in him though.

Any takers?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m4gbg0mocmwhp6p/2014-10-25%2012.16.35.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1fujce0q9msy8we/2014-10-30%2020.00.00.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjaignovkabwsiz/2014-10-25%2015.05.18.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/il3hwftigzv3p07/2014-10-30%2018.52.56.jpg?dl=0

He is so mutts, he could be mixed with so many things. I could see shibe, but there are a million other things that could create that look too. He's prob a mix of a mix. He is super cute though. :3:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

See below. If you were walking down the street and saw me walking this dog would you think "drat, that's a pit bull."?

Absolutely. I would be pleasantly surprised because it ACTUALLY looks like an apbt, so I would probably stop you and ask you if you knew its background in hopes of getting to meet a nicely bred little dog.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Yea some lovely jerks in my thread called it a shelter shitbull and said it will probably kill my cat.

APBTs and staffs are specifically bred to be extremely dog aggressive and extremely prey driven, given that they were created around blood sport. This dog may not be. The problem with rescue dogs is that you don't know their background or the breeding behind them, so there's little way to know what you're getting. Pit type dogs often "turn on" quickly after a lifetime of being alright with other dogs and prey animals; partially because it's a thing they do and partially because they tend to signal in ways that inexperienced owners interpret as "playing" and "exuberance" and then oh no, a cat is dead. This dog may be a nice lump that never does anything. It also may not. You specifically stated that you could tell that the dog would give chase if the cat ran- if an inexperienced owner can easily tell that; the dog is probably going to have some prey drive to work around. Sorry if it isn't what you wanted to hear.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

This right here is the only intelligent thing you said. You could leave it at that and be done with it. Unless you're willing to drop a thousand+ dollars on some AKC dog with papers from a Westminster breeder, you don't know what you're getting with a shelter dog. And I'm not inexperienced in owning a dog, either. My last dog was a lab/schnauzer mix that had a lab face with a schnauzer beard and it rocked! Bearded dogs rule.

Any dog 'may not be.' A shelter poodle could be a total oval office of a dog if it was abused or raised the wrong way. You seem to be making a huge and broad generalization when you say 'pit type' dogs. (Pitbull) (Pit) (Pit Bull) (Pit Terrier) (Half and Half) (Staffordshire Fighting Dog) (Bull Baiter Dogs) or anything with a drop of those breeds in it doesn't exactly mean it's going to be some sort of ticking time bomb. There are plenty of other dogs out there with a prey drive, like dogs specifically meant to hunt, or shepherd, or retrieve. I've been bitten twice by my parents cocker spaniel! Oh no, what a vicious breed. Why should a dog that sorta looks like it might be a pit be some shelter shitbull as you called it whose only moments away from eviscerating our cat and mauling my kid?

Honestly, I am ignorant of the intricacies of pit bulls and dogs in general. I didn't realize I was dealing with a former lab/schnauzer mix owner, boy is my face red! Cute pup btw, she looks like quite a scamp!

Personally, I'm biased because I was bitten by a "stafford pit terrier" as a child and have never liked the guys. I realize that's probably not fair so I guess I knee-jerked when I saw the picture of it so close to a kid (good thing you seem to be holding its mouth shut though.) I know in reality its all in how you raise them and treat them, and I'm sure she'll find a loving home with you and settle in just fine. I bet her and the kid and cat become fast friends. They don't call pits "nanny dogs" for nothing!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I've been dead for years, like the animals my shitbulls have mauled

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

adventure in the sandbox posted:

I think we know who is the true inexperienced owner. Everyone knows that a dog that is raised right can be trained to not kill animals.

When mine were puppies I cussed at them and called them gay

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

The point I'm trying to make is that the dude is making really prejudiced, broad statements. And that dog doesn't look like an ACUTAL American Pitbull Terrier either. She *sorta* looks like one, which leads the shelter and anyone who looks at her to know shes a mix. A mix with what? I won't know unless I spring for a doggie DNA test.

It's funny because virtually none of the dogs on that page linked are APBTs lmao

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Oh dear. In that bite, the dog must have transferred the whole of dog gestalt: a hive mind of sorts that allows you to make educated, non biased opinions about dogs you see, based entirely on one incident. I submit to your knowledge.

'Those dogs' as you put it are not inherently vicious, and the dogs that you hear about are raised in abusive conditions, bred specifically to be blood sport prize fighters. If you raise a dog to be violent, it will be violent. I plan on taking my time and raising the dog and training it with input from a lot of lit on dogs. I'm sorry you were bit.

I wasn't holding its mouth shut at all either. She was really tired because it was the end of the day and the shelter was packing up all the dogs no one took. And she's not a pit, she's a boxer mix ;)

is this real

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Is

Is this helldump

Am I in the 'dump

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Can someone hold my hand

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I've owned, fostered, worked, and studied APBTs for over a decade, starting out with shelter mixes, moving on to hogging, and eventually deep game bred dogs. I spend the majority of my pathetic life obsessing over and trying to learn more about APBT's. Please remain calm.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

WOWza

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Everything you've said thus far has made me incredibly fearful of you bringing anything mixed with pit into an apartment setup with a cat and a kid. Like, I realize this makes you angry and you have preconceived notions about what you're getting into based on rescue propoganda you've consumed re: pit type dogs (this includes American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Terriers, Bull Terriers, and American Bullys, not sure where you came up with this weird breed names from earlier but I hope it wasn't "dog breed info.com") but the best thing to do if you're dead set on this dog is to start properly researching pit bulls and how they work like yesterday. We're not telling you this to poo poo post, but to save you potential loss and heartache.

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 19, 2015

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

This is the biggest meltdown I've ever seen

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I just wanted to warn him about prey drive

I hosed up

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

*bangs head against wall while slapping self in face*

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ButWhatIf posted:

seriously mods, if you're looking at this, THIS is why we've all left. Changing the forum name won't do poo poo if you actually want people who know anything about pets or training or whatever to post here.

This.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

And for rage locking threads after calling people "stupid fuckers," my goodness

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hey give me a break, I don't spend ALL my time lurking PI threads

You are a good mod. I have never posted this in public before. Birdmod Goodmod.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

You don't really know anything about breeders either.

It's extra awesome because APBTs aren't even recognized by the AKC and I paid $150 and $250 respectively for my two extremely well bred ADBA APBTs lmao (not that this guy should go out and get a real pit bull, no one who had any would give him one after listening to him talk for three seconds)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

wtftastic posted:

"I hear you breed..." he sighs, "nanny dogs?"

I think he should adopt Woop.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

wtftastic posted:

I think Woop just arrives at people's homes via some sort of weird space shuttle. Adoption is too simple for him.

He's figured out the science of teleportation and time travel, but it's jsut a thing that happened to him and he does not know what it is.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Tamarillo posted:

Please link I must see this specimen and google just wants me to look at endless "woop woop!" comments instead of this canine prince

Dis Woo http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700934&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post441751234

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

cheese eats mouse posted:

Supers gay names for her gay dogs changes every full moon.

Gotta keep track of these things, gotta stay "in the know"

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

i miss you ladies who do I PM about fb group

I was hoping you would return to the flock omg

PM CryingScarf. I'll link her this thread too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Sounds p normal to me