Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

MrSaturn posted:

Will do. Thanks! loving fleas. I'll keep you guys updated on how this all goes. I'm going to recommend he takes the dog to the vet today when he gets back from work.
It takes a long time to get fully rid of fleas, so don't give up if it seems like they keep appearing after you thought you got them all. If you keep at it you'll get rid of them. Make sure roommate knows they need to keep the dog on monthly flea meds so this doesn't happen again.

As everyone else has said, pretty much all old-school style flea methods are worthless or dangerous (flea collars, flea bombs, flea dips, cheap flea drops).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Why did you get a great pyrenees when you live in the suburbs? :psyduck: They are a working breed that is the antithesis of "family pet".

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I'm sorry. :( I sincerely hope you weren't intentionally lied to. Your dog is barking like crazy because he needs a job so he's giving itself one. They're livestock guardians, barking at problems is what they do.

There are several dog trainers that post here so hopefully they'll be able to give you a better idea of the threat barking problem is something you can curb. Best of luck.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

quote:

Could you expand on this? Is it an issue of price, efficacy, or something else? We need to resupply for our dogs and were thinking about hitting up Amazon or something similar instead.

It's fine to get brand names from the store or amazon. Avoid hartz and other "bargain" brands. There is one generic that is safe that came out a couple years ago but I've completely forgotten the name of it.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I've seen people suggest giving dogs their own sandboxes to dig in. That might be a possible solution. Or at least part of one.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Dirt5o8 posted:

Am I doomed to stinky dog-farts for the next decade and half?

I feed Zee Blue-Buffalo. She enjoys her raw hide chews and she gets a Beggin Strip once in a while (once every couple of days, give or take). She's 14 pounds and I give her about 1 1/4 cup of food a day and she poos 3x a day. I expected bad gas the first 2 weeks from the change over from shelter food but it's going on a month now and she still rips them. Am I just being impatient?

At least anecdotally within PI, blue buffalo just doesnt seem to sit well with dogs. I'd look into changing brands. There's plenty of other options. Some dogs are just farty (flat faced breeds) but it shouldn't just be never ending gross dog farts. Ew.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Sharzak posted:

At this point I have few complaints. She occasionally dives into the trash while we're gone and chewed up a hat of mine last week but it's just little stuff and I wouldn't trade her for anything.

This is easier to fix than you think-is there a reason to you don't crate or pin her up while you're out of the house? Most people do this for the safety of the dog as well as their stuff. Garbage especially has a lot of stuff very dumb dogs can choke on or eat.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Psychobabble! posted:

IANAV but I would err on the side of caution and go to the vet. Don't gently caress with eye issues.
Yep. Doubly so because it's a toy breed with a weird skull.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

LivesInGrey posted:

My sister has a St. Bernard puppy (along with 3 children under 7). Both she and whatever trainer she's using are believers in dominance theory. I've told her that it's an outdated theory, but I don't think she'll pay attention until I have good things to link her to. I'm going to send her the GDocs links from the OP, but does anyone have any good links directly about this issue?

http://drsophiayin.com/philosophy/dominance?%2Fdominance.php

This looks pretty good, unfortunately a bunch of the youtubes are broken. But I think it breaks stuff down well enough and provides examples on the effectiveness of behavior shaping.

e: found what I was looking for
http://avsabonline.org/resources/position-statements

http://www.apdt.com/petowners/choose/dominancemyths.aspx

annd if they are specifically a big believer in ceasar milan:
http://www.4pawsu.com/cesarfans.htm

hope that helps, poor puppy. :(

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 8, 2014

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Wow that is an especially adorable boston :3: I like that he has a face so he can breathe and everything.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
i miss you ladies who do I PM about fb group

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Superconsndar posted:

No, you're not in the wrong, gently caress anyone with stupid off leash/loose dogs. You didn't hurt it and just moved it away. You're fine.

I expect she'll tell everyone willing to listen how you're a horrible dog kicker. I'd consider informing your apartment office before she has a chance to paint the situation.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
lmao why are you buying a puppy from someone who says their husky is a wold hybrid

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Seriously though you seem pretty interested to making right decisions and planning with getting a puppy and you can make a much better choice than buying the lab-husky-"wolf dog".

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
That's fine so long as the idea has been fully cleared with them first. Don't just get them a dog, make sure they're fully part of that process.

As for lazy sighthounds, borzois and salukis are fancier, since I assume you don't want to get them a puppy (don't get a puppy), you'll probably have a harder time finding one in a rescue unless you happen to live in a state with breed-specifc resues. Greyhounds are a lot more common and there's plenty of ex-racer rescues out there. There's a greyhound thread around here somewhere if you're interested.

It's also possible they'd be happy with getting another cat on their own they're ready :shobon:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Ginny posted:

Thanks for the advice guys! Besides the reasons I specified before, I was interested on the Borzoi and Saluki since they have a bit more hair. I'm not too worried about the aloofness, even though I know they're a bit more difficult to train. They're independent breeds and I think my parents would really love that. Hence not a dog that is constantly on them and looking to play.

I agree I should discuss it with them in detail. I guess I got kind of carried away on the whole "surprise gift", I tend to do that haha

Do you guys have any other suggestions for breeds? Honestly I've already researched several times but always end up with the same choices. I'm aware small dogs would be best for apartments, but they do have that tendency to get loud and the breeds are VERY energetic.

I live in Argentina and there's a lot of Bichons here, but I don't like them. I'm looking for a quiet calm dog that is not the usual "old lady" type.

Don't get stuck in the mind set of "I like how this dog looks I want that one". It honestly sounds like you should look into cats.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

toplitzin posted:

Wet food plus kibble = all eaten. So now the trick is to reduce the amount of wet food until she's just eating the kibble.

I picked up three packages of wellness small dog food. (3oz each).

I dumped one on the cup of kibble in her bowl. She ate almost all of it.

I'll try a spoonful of wet tomorrow morning and report back.

:toot:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Yeah d. earth works on everything, its texture is so fine that it's "sticky" and pretty much stays where you put it.

e: assuming you just want to have it down in corners or something to kill whatever bugs come in, there's no point in putting it all over your floors for fleas

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 10, 2015

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Greyhounds are great dogs, there's a whole thread on greyhounds here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549972 The rescue you linked looks fine.

Just make sure it's clear who actually owns and is ultimately responsible for the dog to avoid problems.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Need way more pics of leg puppy.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I want a Kelpie for my next dog but finding one in the US without owning livestock tanks my chances of getting my hands on one pretty bad, so I may end up with another ACD instead. I've considered other dogs but cattledogs are just the coolest little dogs and I can't imagine getting along with anything else.

Shameless product plug: if anyone does any regular hiking with their dogs, the Ruffwear OmniJore system is pretty awesome. I ordered it to use the harness when I take him biking but used it on our hike today and I am pretty happy with it. It has an 8' bungee leash and is totally hands-free and the harness is absolutely impossible for even the wiggliest dog to wiggle out of. As a bonus since it's a pulling harness he can help pull my rear end up hills.

Take me with you on your dog adventure hikes, I will help pick up dog poop in exchange.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Let the man vent about the incredibly awful dog he is dealing with until it goes away. He's clearly doing what he can and is honestly far more patient than I would ever be.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

I like your posts so come back soon ok

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
If you ever have anyone over ask them what they think about hitting a small dog with a flyswatter in front of her. :v: I know a lot of people still hit their dogs, but I don't think the general population approves of that as much as it is used to, probably less so with a small dog. PI might have ruined me though I don't know.

Also if hitting her dog "works", why does she need to keep hitting it?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
do you think everyone at the bbq clapped

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Dogs are weird and can become obsessive from chasing laser pointers. Not all dogs are predisposed to this issue so there's not a lot of consensus online. She'll likely move on to chasing any kind of moving light like she was chasing shadows. (Chasing shadows isn't a healthy behavior either) You might want to post in the dog training megathread to figure out how to refocus her attention appropriately.

Are there any other toys she likes at all you can replace the laser pointer with? Tug rope? Puzzle toys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Lmao $2000 for A Dog.