Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Do puppies get cranky/disobedient/bad when they’re tired? My 9 week old golden retriever was going bananas earlier-would not stop digging in the grass, ignored every ‘no’ and squeaky toy attempt at redirection, went right back to it even when I picked him up and moved him away, tried nipping at me when I eventually picked him up and carried him inside etc. When we got inside he immediately went and laid on my pajamas like he was going to nap. I’ve realized he had a very busy day. I was working outside on my house and he was out there with me much of the day and I don’t think he had much nap time.

He’s otherwise always very sweet and this just kind of scared me-I’ve never seen him so completely obsessed with something and so totally ignoring me.

Yeah when my 6 month old puppy gets like that she goes into the crate for nap because she obviously needs it and is just being stubborn.

They really are like children like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I already did some google work and I'm pretty sure there's not much I can actually do but I wanna ask anyway.

I'm pretty sure my girl has an ear infection but the soonest we can get an apportionment with the vet is Thursday morning. Is there anything I can do in the mean time to help her? I'm sure she's really uncomfortable and would just like to ease it a bit.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

how good are you at cleaning her ears?
Whenever Brisket gets them he scratches them until the inside bleeds which makes scab stuff in the ear and makes him more uncomfortable. So we have some wipes to kinda get in there and help him out. Not too deep, but just the stuff we can see.

Yeah we probably didn't clean them enough tbh. I'd take a look at them and they looked clean enough so I didn't want to over do it.

Really just trying to find something to help before we get into the vet.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 24, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What's a good place to get pet insurance for my big oaf of a black lab?

Costco :shrug: that’s where I got mine

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Do any of the insurance companies pay upfront?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't think any insurance company does because their goal is to find a reason not to pay you.
Your vet though might not need payment immediately

Yeah I'm in LA and they all want the cold hard cash lol

I mean they suggest to use the care credit then just pay it back when the insurance company pays you.

I used to have nation wide and they did pay back most of what we spent on the cat when she got sick so they have that going for them.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sanctum posted:

It's been a frustrating 2 weeks of loose leash walking where I'm stopping every few steps for 3-5 miles. Monty gets the 'game' insofar as he'll pay attention to me enough to not tug until he forgets again and this will keep happening. He sits when I say "heel" now which is fine; at least he understands that we're not moving until the tugging stops. Would be great if he would stop tugging - he wont. My roommate has given up on walking Monty after he ran away again. You cannot trust Monty off leash. Walking him on leash is painful. This tugging has to stop. Are there alternative harnesses?

Took Monty to the beach today to take a break from the incessant tugging. He's afraid of the waves and was barking at them cuz Monty doesn't shy away from things that scare him. He wasn't able to chase the ocean off. Monty was surprisingly well behaved but it was only a matter of time until he reminded me why I cannot let him off leash. I know most people are cool with Monty running up for attention but that's kinda irrelevant. Can't have a dog off leash that's not under control.

The gentle leader is a good idea to try but some dogs really really don’t like it and will fight it.

We have our puppy in school and they have us using this

It’s similar to the metal prong collar but not as harsh.

We have a Great Dane puppy that is 6 months old and all muscle. Once we put this on her she completely stopped pulling. I like this more than the gentle leader because she can do longer walks with it. On the longer walks she’d start getting irritated with the leader.

Starmark Pro-Training Dog Collar Large https://a.co/7CkDqFZ

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

encourage him to stay alongside us and not give him any slack at all to roam,

Yeah it’s this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Michael Transactions posted:

Is there a way to remind your dumb dog to take a poo poo once it's outside? She just looks around and sniffs everything instead of making GBS threads.

Also when is a good time to start daycare? She is 5 months old with all of her shots. I was thinking of doing it once a week to get her used to other dogs. Obviously the other dogs would be fully vaxed also.

For the making GBS threads thing if she’s crate trained if she doesn’t go within like 5 ish min or so take her back in and put her in the crate for a bit then take her back out as a sort of reset. She will start picking it up that she needs to go right away.

Also daycare can be a really good idea for socializing at that age.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

H13 posted:

Okay so I think I'll feel more confident if I had a routine planned for the puppy.

Note: Very aware that puppies are chaotic, adorable "geniuses" and that this routine probably won't go according to plan, but if I've got a rough framework for what a day with a puppy looks like, I reckon I'll figure things out along the way.

Step 1) Take puppy outside to do it's business. Upon puppy doing it's business, celebrate, praise and treat like the good puppy that he is.

Step 2) Spend 15-30 minutes outside with puppy playing and training things like sit or...anything else.

Step 3) As puppy gets tired, spend half an hour inside and do "my" things (chores etc.) with an adorable fluffy puppy following me around and getting used to my activities, the house etc. Keep a close eye on puppy entire time.

Step 4) Previous step ends when puppy goes outside again for it's business. Repeat celebration.

Step 5) Bring puppy and put in crate for nap. Therefore crate training, and giving puppy sleep time upon which thousands of photos will be taken.

Step 6) When puppy wakes up, repeat Step 1.

Does this sound like a reasonable sort of routine\idea about daily life with a pup?

Yeah pretty much. You wanna try and always put the puppy into the crate with an empty bladder if you can as well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I'd say my 3 month old puppy was housetrained in about a month. But I work from home, my spouse works from home, we're both COVID cavers and we were religiously taking this dog out, to the point that we had fewer than 10 accidents the entire time. If you're not there to correct, it's going to take longer. It will happen, but 6 weeks is probably wildly optimistic.

Hell, assuming you're getting the puppy at 2 months of age, that's 3 hours max it can hold it's urine even if it was potty trained. Puppies have tiny bladders.

Same with our dane puppy that is 6 months now.

We were pretty much taking her out every 2 hours like clockwork. She picked it up pretty quick but there were a few accidents.

You can also be more restrictive with the dogs water. Don’t let them free bowl it till they know to go outside.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sanctum posted:

The trainer also didn't like that Monty only obeys when I give him hand signals because that means he wont obey commands when he's not looking at me. I don't think it's the hand signals, Monty doesn't need hand signals normally but he will ignore 100% of commands if he is not looking at me. You either have Monty's attention or you do not exist.

Tbf this could end up being a real problem especially when it comes to recall.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah that seems reasonable.

What kind of dog is it?

You might not need to wake the dog up at 11.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone done a DNA test for food allergies? We think maybe she might have some but if a quick dna test would pick it up that would be a lot easier.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah she’s still a puppy so the vet isn’t too keen on doing a lot of allergy testing just yet but she just wanted to let us know it was a possibility.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Andoman posted:

I did for one of my dogs and it was a waste of time. The food elimination process works though albeit it takes a bit of effort. That said within a relatively short time we knew that the proteins from chicken and salmon were the problem. Interestingly since Eliminating those from the diet all is good while the DNA test said chicken and salmon were both ok.

Ok fair enough.

Yeah I guess chicken is a really common one and I had no idea tbh.

I might just nix chicken all together at this point anyway.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Does he refuse even with high value treats?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

My big girl also liked the inflatable donut collar a lot more than the big plastic cone

Triple yes to this. You can get one off amazon by tomorrow and it really helps.

They also have a body cover that you can put on your dog (its like a compression vest) which can also make the recovery a lot easier.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Michael Transactions posted:

Has anyone had luck with using a pet behaviorist? My puppy is still having a hard time getting used to the crate. She's a rescue so I wonder if she's had some trauma about it in the past. Hoping a pet behaviorist can help so I can have some of my life back.

I guess it depends on what steps you’ve already tried to get her used to the crate.

Crate training can be a real pain but it’s not impossible for the most part.

I’ll assume you’ve tried small things like leaving her in there for 10 min or so and then taking her out so she knows it’s not a forever thing?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love my puppy but holy poo poo puppies are a complete pain in the rear end in very way possible.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Went to get some inhome dog training for Brisket to help him accept people into his home.
They quoted me 1000 bucks for 4 zoom sessions. Is this normal? That seems like a lot for someone to not even see how he reacts to the specific situation I want to train him for.

I don’t know where you are but that’s a ridiculous amount. I wouldn’t even consider that.

Like I’m in LA and paid 4k for a 12 week program where my dog is in class 3 days a week for 8 hours.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought it would be like 100 bucks a session but three people now are quoting me over double that. They're the just the most extreme.

Yeah $100 seems more inline but lol

Did you check wag or rover? Pretty sure they do training.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Thanks yall, I think I'll just suck it up and stick with the cone. She's figuring things out a bit and learning how to get herself unstuck.

You could also order the body suit from Amazon. It will cover the area and probably provide double protection

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

heelers are just so damned cute.

Hell yeah they are. I grew up having them and they are great.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s Christmas time everyone and time to put your pets in silly outfits. Train em young lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dats a cute puppy!

You could also try adding goats milk to the food. It can really help put some weight on

https://www.greatpetcare.com/dog-nutrition/goats-milk-for-dogs-benefits-and-uses/

Trader Joe’s sells it too if you can’t find another good source.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

We just have her in dumb hats

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Our trainer also recommended finding a YouTube channel with random people talking and noises and stuff.

Put that on when you aren’t home to maybe desensitize the pup.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

I don't think I could deal with a puppy. I'm 40 I vibe with older dog energy.

I love my puppy but hard fuckin same.

I won’t be doing it again at this point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you need some you time (and of course you do!) put him in his crate with a Kong or other chew toy filled with food or peanut butter or w/e so that he learns non-destructive ways to deal with aloneness. If keeping him in his crate feels too small, get a fenced playpen or gate off a 'safe' room where there is nothing in it he can learn to destroy.

Yeah this x1000

Or like someone else said a pen for outside.

The crate is your friend. Learn to love the crate it’s worth it in the long run.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FYI chicken is a pretty common allergen for dogs especially pure breeds.

It can cause all kinds of digestion issues and I’ve had to completely eliminate it from my puppy’s diet.

Pure pumpkin is really good for when your dog has some stool issues. You can get the cans pretty cheap at the store but just make sure it’s pure pumpkin (like 90% of them are).

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 8, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly dog parks really aren't that great to start with.

Besides the increased risk of catching something (kennel cough etc) a lot of dog owners are poo poo (not calling you out) and take dogs that have no business being there.

Its not worth it IMO

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There’s red ones too though lol

I grew up always having a red heeler.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Why did you burn their heels!?

They do it to themselves because they haul rear end.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Or in heat

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I've paid for too many tooth removals from slab fractures (2 at ~$360-500 each) due to bones to ever feed them again. Never weight-bearing bones again in my house.

Our vet (who is also a dog dentist) said never give your dog anything you can’t dent with your fingernail.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Are bully sticks generally safe and recommended? I’ve thought about trying them before.

My vet said no and I’m actually ok with that because they are fuckin expensive lol.

The better belly stuff seems ok? I think it’s still partially raw hide or something though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Why did your vet say no?

They smell and are costly is what our problems with them are

She said even those are too hard :shrug:

She’s a dog dentist so I trust what she says.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Adrianics posted:

Cosmo's showing early signs of an ear infection.

This will be his third;

Fwiw it could be diet related. Our puppy has been treated for two ear infections so far and the vet said it could be food related.

We’ve been putting cleaning drops in her ears which seems to have helped too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s actually a few steps beyond creepy to actually dangerous.