Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blamedunce
Feb 19, 2008
We got our chocolate labrador, Ginny, last Thursday. Since then, we've noticed a dark brown spot in the corner of her eye. In the space of the last week it's gone from barely noticeable to taking up a good quarter of her eye, just about touching her pupil now. We managed to get an appointment with the ophthalmologist yesterday, who did an ultrasound on her eye and said that it definitely looked cystic, but couldn't rule out a melanoma because they lacked a piece of equipment to get the necessary distance from the eye on the ultrasound to see into it clearly.

The ophthalmologist has sent the photos and scans to her colleagues for a second opinion, and we're now just anxiously waiting to hear what she has to say. She said that a melanoma is a distinct possibility due to the rapid growth, something that could be triggered by the massive amounts of growth hormone in an 11-week old puppy, but that she's never heard of melanoma in a dog so young.

Apparently the treatment for a cyst is laser-removal, which should leave her with two perfectly normal eyes. I didn't ask about the prognosis for melanoma in such a young puppy though. I'd imagine she'd lose the eye if that turned out to be the case, but is chemotherapy/radiotherapy even an option for an 11-week old pup?

She's my first puppy, I've totally fallen for her, and I find myself refreshing my inbox every 5 minutes waiting for news. Poor little thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blamedunce
Feb 19, 2008
Just a quick update on Ginny. She's been diagnosed with suspected melanocytoma in her right eye, but with no real way of determining whether it's malignant or not.

Unfortunately, because a benign tumour is much more likely, my insurance company has declined to cover any costs (as, apparently, my policy only covers malignant tumors). The ophthalmologist wants to try laser surgery to shrink the mass but can't guarantee that it won't grow back in the future. This leaves me in a bit of trouble now, as I'm unsure as to whether I can cover the costs of subsequent surgery if it were to grow back.

Are there any animal charities in the UK that can help with veterinary costs? I looked at PDSA but they only cover people who claim housing or council tax benefit.

gently caress. I've only had my puppy for 3 weeks, this is meant to be fun. I'm close to despair already.