Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Asnorban posted:

I am definitely worrying more than my wife. Though neither of us are entirely sure why this situation, with a seemingly well loved and cared for puppy (who will be having puppy tests done on him soon) is something that should be ran from. We would get a rescue dog if we weren't looking at this one, and how is a 6 month old mutt from a shelter with unknown parents a better / more sure adoption than this puppy?

Sorry for my ignorance, as mentioned earlier I have always been a cat person and this would be my first dog (my wife's third.)

Edit: She isn't trying to make any money on them. She just wants them to have a good home. She doesn't even want us to pay her back for the vet visit if we adopt him. Regardless of oops litter or not, what's done is done and it now (or in a few weeks) will need a home.

The vet visits don't mean poo poo as far as health goes; the dogs should be genetically tested through CERF, OFA, PennHip or something similar for any breed problems that may not be present currently (what the vet vists would catch) but that my popup later. These are things you want to look for in a responsible breeder what this lady is doing is BYBinng, but IMO if she's not charging you anything then it's fine.

Ultimately, though everyone is going to encourage to to go the shelter route because it is the more ethical choice,but if the cats like the puppy and you do want to keep it send it back to be with the litter for a while (ideally 4 to 6 more weeks) but 2 at a minimum, and then enjoy your giant slobbery,shedding mutt.

Here's a website that talks more about how to find an ethical dog breeder if it doesn't work out or just for learning:
http://members.tripod.com/antique_fcr/goodbreeder.html

Edit: Since this is your first dog please be aware that -doodles are EXTREMELY ACTIVE large dogs that require a TON of grooming, most of them in my area are easily 95-100lbs and always over excited due to lack of exercise, when it comes down to it you getting a gun dog cross and that means you can expect to be exercising this dog for multiple HOURS a day to fulfill it's energy needs for the next 5 years when it hopefully starts to slow down(my GSD is 5 and is just now starting to tire out and relax). I would strongly suggest start looking at dog sports and training ASAP to keep the little guy active and happy when/if he comes home with you.

DenialTwist fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

MrFurious posted:

We've covered this fairly extensively in the OP, and the link you provided really doesn't have very much concrete information.

I understand that, but do you think he read any part of the OP from reading his posts thus far? It has very simple answers to the most basic of dog breeding questions. No one is trying to steal your stake on knowing things about puppies, relax.