Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilr0y
Jul 8, 2010
My fiance and I are moving into a new pet-friendly apartment (with a small yard) in June, and she has her heart set on adopting a dog. We've found a great rescue shelter, but we're waiting until we move in before making a decision on the specific dog that we want. I've always considered myself a "dog person." However, I've never owned a pet before, so the whole prospect of bringing home an animal is slightly terrifying for me.

My biggest concern is that we won't have enough time to dedicate to him/her. I have the entire summer off, so, until August, I can be home all day. Once the semester starts up, however, I'll have to be away for varying times depending on classes/teaching responsibilities. My fiance is starting a 9 to 5 job in late June, so that doesn't help things.

My concern is that this will be bad for a new dog in the home. From what I've read here, adopting a puppy into that situation would be awful, so we're considering adopting an older dog (possibly one to two years old (?)).

Is this legit? Are we just bringing the dog into a worse situation by adopting it then eventually leaving it alone all the time? Is there a specific breed I should look for that would be good in this scenario (or is that a ridiculous question)? I know nothing (besides what I've read on the internets)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU