Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Hi, training thread! I just adopted my very first puppy yesterday and began using MrFurious's potty training guide. So far it's been excellent - Beau is now accustomed to going where he should (a tray of gravel on the balcony until his boosters) and we've only had one accident so far, but I have a small question.

We've never needed the timer to go off. He either needs to go about five minutes before it's set to go off, or he doesn't nap that long or play that long, etc. I know part of the training is to get him accustomed to hearing the bell and knowing that's when it's time to go. Am I doing him a disservice by being too vigilant?

ETA: He woke me up at 3am for a bathroom break (again, a few minutes before the timer) and after he peed he was too energized to go back to sleep, so I played with him for twenty minutes, took him out to pee again and he sacked out after five minutes of whining. I expected the midnight potty breaks but I didn't expect him to want to play. It's no hardship for me to play with him for a while, but I wonder if this is what I should be doing.

Rufus En Fuego fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Excellent. Thanks. He has a Kong in his crate and I put a few treats inside, but they didn't last long. I meant to use peanut butter but I was hesitant about the honey roasted Skippy in the pantry. I'll stop by the store on the way home and grab some plain.

Want to do right by this dog. :black101:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

MrFurious posted:

As ALL said, you're doing great. The kitchen timer is there as an enforcer for folks who can't manage their time well (including me). It makes sure that he gets out there at least every two hours, and if the dog is struggling with when to eliminate, he or she will be cued by the timer sound eventually. Sounds like this isn't necessary for you, so keep up the good work!

I think we kind of have a combination of that going on. Yes, he's never unsupervised and we're able to catch him when he's giving signals, but sometimes this means taking him out five times an hour. He has access to water at all times (except at night) but when he drinks he tends to suck down as much water as he can so he's pretty much peeing constantly for the first half hour following. Do I just keep on him and eventually his ability to hold it will increase, or should I limit how much he drinks at a time? I don't want him to think I'll be able to take him out every ten minutes or whatever.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I can't tell you how awesome your potty training guide is. Beau just woke up from his nap and went to the door, so I let him out and he used his trays without prompting. :3:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Serella posted:

I would see if you can get them to try the puppy classes at Petsmart/Petco/etc. You can use the guise of it teaching the puppy manners, though pet-sensible people know the class is really good for teaching owners how to interact with their dogs.

I'm taking that class in a couple of weeks and I know drat well it's not really for the dog.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

nesbit37 posted:

She is my seventh Dachshund by my girlfriend's first. It is the first time either of us have tried to keep a dog in a high rise. I asked a question about this earlier but didn't get any replies. Does anyone have tips on potty training in a highrise? We are having problems getting her to understand she can use pavement as a place to go, and then just getting her outside in time is challenge. We are crate training her and she loves her crate, just want to make sure we are handling potty training properly for our living situation. We want to avoid paper training if possible but considering the elevator ride it may be a necessity at least part of the time. Any suggestions?

Do you have a balcony? I live in a townhouse with a balcony and until my 11-week old Pom gets his boosters and can safely go outside, we have him going in some gravel lined trays out there. I'm obviously not a potty training expert but maybe you could try doing that until your pup is better at holding it? Or just take her through the elevator and out every few hours until she knows she has to wait until the outside?

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

nesbit37 posted:

No balcony, unfortunatly. Right now we are doing what you suggested with the elevator. Does the gravel lined trays help them understand they can go on pavement? We are getting her out a lot, but then she won't go when on the pavement. Most of the time she will go in the apartment shortly after she gets back up into the apartment.

I have no idea if the gravel helps with pavement. I'm using it because I live in the desert with desert landscaping and gravel's pretty much everywhere here. Maybe it would be a good way to segue it for her? I know my adult dog was too polite to go on the pavement (I adopted her from a family that had a grass yard and doggie door) but after spending so much time on the gravel here she stopped caring as much and will occasionally go on the sidewalk.

Is there a grassy patch at all near your place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
But, you know, just to play devil's advocate...

You run that risk adopting an adult from any shelter.