Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."
This might sound stupid... But does anyone have any tips to help get my 48 year old boyfriend over a stubborn fear of dogs? He was frightened repeatedly as a kid and now is convinced all dogs are murderous slaughter-beasts who want to eat him. I don't know how much of that is true, he never gives me a straight answer.
The only breed he doesn't afraid of is Shelties, but I really don't think one would like to live with me.

When I'm in a slightly better financial situation, I badly want a puppy or young dog, specifically a Swedish Valhund or similarly sized pup. I imagine there will always be a lot of small rescue dogs available, especially after the Jubilee corgi craze.
I work as home, and have two cats so I would like to start with a young dog and teach them my bad habits the hierarchy of the house.

I also want to start with a puppy because... I was thinking about contacting someone with puppies and asking if Mike and I could visit them to help with his fear. He could see that very small dogs can't "eat" him. And then keep meeting puppies until he's more comfortable. If it doesn't work, I could just call off the idea at that stage.
But if it was okay, and if I got a puppy later, he could be comfortable around it as it grew. I don't necessarily want him to be fond of all dogs.. Just the one I have.

Paying for specific therapy would probably not be an option, as he is a stubborn SOB who thinks I'm impulsive and will get distracted from this idea. Thus: Ignoring it means I will go away and find something shiny.
I've thought it through though. I have had about 5 years to. I've also talked with my friends who have helped me think about "downsides" and ways around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

ButWhatIf posted:

Just FYI, there's not a whole ton of difference in terms of energy and drive between a corgi and a sheltie. I've had both, and from what I can remember of the sheltie, that breed might actually even be slightly more laid-back than the corgis are, especially if the corgi is BYB or milled and temperament isn't being taken into consideration at all by the breeder. Not wanting to rain on your parade at all, but I wouldn't rule out a sheltie necessarily yet.
Woah. I phrased that rear end-backwards! I don't want to live with a Sheltie. Not the other way around.
It isn't the behaviour, I just don't like their appearance. I've heard they can be extremely cuddly (to the point of stupidity), and Mike actually likes them! So I really wish I liked them too.

So far as BYB, if I go to a breeder over a shelter, I (sort of) know what to look for and avoid. I am very familiar with pedigree cat breeding over here (good and bad). I know it's not the same, but I would be really careful! :gonk:

I would go to this breeder first, as they live near me and their write up seems really good: http://www.champdogs.co.uk/breeder/4391
I especially like, "All puppy enquirers will be asked to complete a questionnaire, given the offer of meeting the vallhunds and asked relevant questions. At Eriksfjord a good loving home is the most important requirement for one of our puppies."

A pipe dream, but that's the sort of people I want to deal with if their write-up is true to life.

ButWhatIf posted:

As far as the fear issue goes, I'd consider trying out a human-tweaked version of desensitization and counter-conditioning. Does he have a particularly favorite snack, like chocolate? Try pairing seeing a dog from a short distance with nibbling some chocolate chips or similar. Start shortening the radius, but only as far as he's comfortable doing so. Have him talk his way through it, telling you what he likes and dislikes about that particular dog. Don't critique his thoughts, just nod and ask for more information. Do one dog at a time, and start with the least threatening appearance - usually ones that have rounder heads and floppier ears trigger the lizard part of our brains the least. The ones with sharper muzzles and prick ears tend to call back to our ancient fears the most. Never try flooding (overwhelming exposure to the point of shut-down). It'll probably take time, and you'll definitely have to work your way up in size and "scariness," but it'll be worth it in the long run. Good luck!
I know when dogs have approached him in favourite places (with favourite food) like the pub, he has been a bit more relaxed. Still uneasy and wanting them to leave though. The modified treat is a little tricky as he's diabetic, but I get what you mean.
It probably doesn't help that a lot of dogs he meets up close in houses are bouncy excited and crazy pleased, with owners who ignore them.

As an adult man, Mike doesn't want to say, "I'm scared of your dog!" so the owners don't give a gently caress, or think he's being stuffy. Hence puppies or someone with a small dog we could have one-on-one with.. I understand your point about "flooding".. I know he is the type of person who would give up after one "failure".

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

Engineer Lenk posted:

My partner's strong fear of dogs is pretty much gone now.

We have tiny mutts, and our first dog turned out to be a great dog ambassador - our dog-hating friend coos over her.

The big difference, according to my partner, was learning dog communication skills. Stuff like knowing that a lot of barking displays are fear or excitement, they can be stopped or minimized by not staring at the dog and by not facing them head-on, and keeping hands at your sides. This seems natural to those of us who grew up with dogs. But it is counter-intuitive to turn away from a perceived threat, and it takes several times of seeing it work before you'll believe it.

For us, this experience happened in foundation training classes and was built on with small dog interactions at the dog park.

If he's willing to learn some of this stuff, you can use online resources before you ever bring a dog into the picture. Doggone Safe has a lot of body language info:

http://www.doggonesafe.com/Speak_Dog
http://www.doggonesafe.com/Signs_of_Imminent_Bite
That's really useful stuff, thanks! I don't know how much Mike will listen to, but it's worth a try. At the moment he thinks all jumping dogs = bad.
It would be useful if he could learn to be boring for them.

I have a friend who's dog completely ignores any "go away" cues, even standing with your back turned and hands down.. That's the sort of situation where he freaks a bit.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

Rixatrix posted:

My best friend since grade school was so scared of dogs she actually worried she wouldn't be able to visit my place ever again once I got Pi. I talked her into coming over when Pi was a wee pup ("He's 8 weeks old! Babies aren't scary!") and as Pi grew, my friend gradually got over her fear: first she was ok with just Pi and now she is fine with all dogs. I helped on the way by teaching her how to "speak dog" since she had no idea how to read dog body language.

Like Engineer Lenk said, I think a lot of it is learning that many of the things people who are afraid of dogs interpret as threatening aren't in fact threatening at all, and on the other hand you learn how to react if the dog seems worried or aggressive. With my friend it helped a lot that Pi is basically bomb proof with people. I have a picture of my friend hugging young Pi after she'd given him a chew bone as a present. Pi is holding the bone and he doesn't look pleased to say the least. I asked my friend what she thought Pi felt when she gave him the bone and then tried to be affectionate and then we looked at the picture together to figure out what was really going on. (The situation in the picture happened when I was out of the room - I would've intervened had I known.) Things like this helped her a lot.

Also, Shelties come in a variety of temperaments and many of the agility Shelties are more intense than pretty much any Corgi (even the ones in sports homes). With both breeds (or any breed for that matter) I'd put a ton of research into the temperament aspect of the litter.

This is really encouraging to hear. It's a long road yet, but he has said he might be willing to try. :)

I don't want a Sheltie. I don't like their appearance. Sorry for the confusion.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

Asnorban posted:

I will give some more support. I had some bad experiences with dogs growing up and straight up didn't care for them and was slightly afraid as well, and being exposed to a puppy who knew me and the great exposure to other dogs that came from that quickly got me over that. I still have a hard time with the ones that jump a lot, but I realized that a lot of what I was afraid of or didn't like was not meant maliciously in almost all cases.
That's awesome to hear. :) I hope we can succeed. I'm totally fine if it's too much. I don't want anyone to think I'm forcing this issue - We've spoken twice about it this year. If Mike is scared, I will stop.

When you felt most against dogs, would you have been comfortable going to see a dog and her puppies? Would that have felt too much?
Trying to judge how awful a sensation that is. I can only get so much straight info from Mike before he changes the subject.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

Asnorban posted:

I didn't particularly like going to friend's with dog's houses. I would do it, but I would definitely be a bit more reserved lest I rouse the dog too much. I never was in a situation with a mom and multiple puppies, so I can't really say there. But it probably would have been a bit daunting, unless I knew I wouldn't be subjected to more than one or two at a time.

Thanks for the insight. Mike's friends with dogs let them do what the f they please at home, because they don't know he is scared. They think he is just "stuck up" about the dog, as he stands there being bounced at. I know he should just say something, but guy-pride I guess.
Sometimes when we're out I take the fall and say I'm the one scared of dogs, because it's easier for people to accept.

When I say puppies, I mean the smaller, under 3 month size of puppies. Would it still be a bit :( ?

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

Engineer Lenk posted:

I think you may get better results with exposure to a well-mannered or indifferent (read: cat-like) small dog than to puppies. One that's not known for jumping on people or barking at them.

Not everyone thinks puppies are cute, and seeing them when they have comparatively few social skills is not terribly likely to increase his fondness or allay his fears.

My idea was puppies or puppy so he has more control of the situation (he could pick up an over friendly puppy and remove it from him). A small dog like a terrier already has an idea of who's boss, if that makes sense.
He doesn't think dogs are stupid, and would be wary about touching any adult dog (he was bitten by a small white terrier a few times as a kid which is where the fear comes from).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

Engineer Lenk posted:

Terriers are dog people dogs - by and large they wouldn't come under the umbrella of well-behaved and people-neutral, though there are outliers.

I was thinking of the softer-temperament toy breeds, something like a Maltese, Havanese, Papillon, or Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

I still don't think puppies are a magic bullet. The people I know who are afraid of or hate dogs and have gotten over it started by having single dog exceptions. All of the model dogs have rock solid temperaments and are not very people-centered.

I'm not expecting a puppy to be a "magic bullet". I'm expecting it to be smaller, weaker and less self-assured than a full grown dog.
You're also relying on a small adult dog's owner to have trained them properly. If a puppy bites or gets too rough, most of the time you are not looking at a serious injury, and it can be easily removed.

Also I don't know if it's UK/Northern England breeding but I have never met a calm King Charles. Obedient, yeah, but so excited about getting that right, that they're like little bouncing children. Seeing the pack of them on the street is adorable but noisy.
I've known several "calm" Maltese that suddenly crack and start snapping because you're in their house. I don't know if it's bad breeding or ownership, but it's a pattern I've seen here. I don't know their original purpose but they seem to be good at protecting territory.