Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003
THINKS HE IS BEST AT DOGS (is actually worst at dogs!!!)

Sab0921 posted:

Also, thanks MrFurious for the house breaking guide. It was a lot of work for a couple of weeks, but worked like a charm. Three weeks in and she is housebroken! No accidents in a week.

Glad it helped. Stay vigilant though, you're not through the woods yet. You can start to relax after a month, but you're not really there until you go at least two. If you start to backslide, get back on the regimen again and don't come off until you've gone twice as long without an accident.

Sab0921 posted:

I feel like an idiot, but I'm not sure how people feed out of a regular kong, they're little, and have a giant hole at the bottom. I sometimes stuff some peanut butter (my dog freaking loves it) or greek yogurt in there, but never her regular kibble.

Depends on the dog. If PB works, you can stuff a bunch of kibble in there and then coat the bottom with PB and freeze it. This is the "frozen kong" you'll hear referred to a lot. You can do the same thing with anything else. If you have a Kong Wobbler and it's too easy, you can put some duct tape or something on the hole to make it smaller and more difficult.

internet inc posted:

I'm glad you're talking about this since we're getting our first puppy in about a week. The guide in the OP says that all food should be given through toys to promote chewing on toys and only toys. Does this apply to puppies only? When do you start feeding from a bowl?

Where do you see this in the OP? Is this in one of Dunbar's PDF's and I missed it? You don't have to feed out of toys, it's just a very easy way for you to exercise your dog mentally and, to a lesser extent, physically, which makes your life easier. I do think it's healthy, but there's nothing inherently wrong with feeding out of a bowl. The only danger that can arise is that if you have a breed prone to bloat (Danes, some Goldens, I think Pyrenees?) they tend to have a higher risk if they're wolfing down their food quickly. Then you see people use different contraptions to slow them down. This can be everything from a tennis ball in the bowl that they have to eat around to a bowl full of nubbed protrusions or a treat dispensing toy. I do agree with the above comments regarding free feeding though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Sab0921 posted:

She's not lethargic anymore, I think that was her getting used to our house. She's pretty active, but relatively chill for a puppy, and she went nuts at puppy pre school.

The three cups is what the bag recommends for a 20 lb puppy, and she is very close to that, so we just give her that. She will eventually be about 50 lbs which might explain why she needs all the food right now?

Just talk to your vet about it. The recommendation on the bag is usually pretty high, but ultimately you and your vet are the only people qualified to determine how much is appropriate.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Siets posted:

I've been thinking about getting a dog for over a year now, ever since I moved into my condo a few years ago. I feel settled and financially capable of providing a proper home for a dog. I also grew up with a family dog that I helped train when I was young, so I know what I am generally in for.

My question/issue lies with the very strongly worded statement in the OP, "If you are the kind of person that works 9-to-5, dogs aren't for you."

To me, this seems completely ridiculous. I know a lot of folks and coworkers that have happy and healthy dogs who work 9-to-5 schedules. It seems like the OP qualifies dogs only for rich folks and/or retirees who don't have to work. For the other 95% of people in the world, I guess we're SOL when it comes to pets?

A coworker told me that when he got his puppy, he took a week off to focus on bonding and training with it. His wife then took the following week off to continue the same level of care. After that, they came home often over lunch as well as made sure to spend ample time with the pup during the hours when they were home. Myself and my fiance both have access to family members that live close by who are willing to help, and we also have flexible work situations that would allow us to come home over lunch and take large periods of time off. I can also afford and am willing to shop around for doggie day care options for the early days if that is required.

It feels like the OP could really be worded more diplomatically in this area.

No it doesn't, it says puppies may not be for you. I agree that some of the wording could perhaps be changed, the OP is far from perfect, but it is pretty comprehensive. I stand by the statement that you shouldn't be considering a puppy if the best you can do in the first few weeks is coming home at lunch breaks. This is going to make housetraining extremely difficult for you. Lots of goon posters are young, working fresh jobs and they still want to have a night life. None of those things are bad, but they make caring for a young puppy much, much harder. The OP is intended to suggest that if you don't have that kind of time, you may want to consider looking at an adult dog instead of a puppy.

MrFurious
Dec 11, 2003

Engineer Lenk posted:

I have a number of coworkers who've crated out of the car for the first few months of puppydom. It's obviously climate-sensitive and highly dependent on your parking situation, but it's worked out reasonably well for a number of people.

That's actually a pretty interesting idea. I'd be hesitant to recommend it except in very specific situations though because of those safety concerns.