Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I have the opportunity to apply to adopt a beagle that's being retired from a companion animal teaching program.

We've never owned a dog before and have no experience in training. Also our main reason for considering adopting a dog is to provide companionship to our son, who is 5 years old and has been diagnosed with high functioning autism. Our son loves animals and is gentle with our two cats but he enjoys the more interactive play that he gets with dogs owned by friends of the family.

Based on this and the info below, do you think think one of these beagles would be a good fit for our home?

quote:

The beagles are very good with people and are handled on a daily basis by veterinary students and staff at the program. However, they have not been exposed to young children on a regular basis. Most of the dogs do like children, although we have had an occasional dog that seems very frightened by them.

Because the beagles have lived their whole lives either at the breeding facility in the US where they are purchased from or at program, they are not accustomed to a home environment. Although they are not housebroken, most of them will be trainable. Some pick it up very quickly, others are slower with occasional accidents, and a rare few never become housebroken. There can also be an extensive adjustment period for the dogs when the move from the program as they get used to being away from their many beagle friends and the program daily routine and being exposed to the many items that we take for granted, such as car rides, electronics, household appliances etc. As expected they each have their own personalities and we can not predict how any of them will react outside of the program environment.

We look for patient, loving homes that are willing to work with the beagles to ease their adjustment to life away from the program . The dogs are used to living indoors with walks on leash and running in our fenced dog yard, and we look for home that will provide this kind of environment. We want our beagles to have safe, comfortable and happy retirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the concern about the time and dedication needed for a dog. I know what's involved with that and I'm OK with taking it on.

I'm more concerned about adopting a dog that's not housebroken and unfamiliar with normal household life at 8 years old. Will these things require an experienced trainer to overcome?

Of course I'm talking with the program coordinator about this as well and I'll trust her judgment as she's been through this a bunch of times.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

MrFurious posted:

I'm a little confused as to the situation you're describing. How old is the dog and why is it being retired from a companion dog program? Is it suitable as a companion dog for your son? I'm also confused as to how these (candidate?) companion dogs aren't house trained unless they're very, very young.

These are dogs that are used to teach vet students how to train service dogs but they've never been put to work as a service dog. I don't know why they're not housebroken but I assume they've lived their lives in kennels at the university. These dogs are retired after a few years and new dogs are brought in each spring for new students. I pass by their outdoor caged yard every day and they spend a lot of time outside being walked and played with by the students.

As such I expect they're extraordinarily trained in some aspects but they lack the experience of actual day to day life in a normal house.

The particular dog available to us is 8 years old and is excellent with kids and other animals. I'm thinking that an older dog will be less excitable and well socialized.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

prom candy posted:

This sounds like a weird situation. Why are you looking at one of these dogs specifically?

We're going to adopt a dog and they need people to adopt dogs. Also I see them every day on my way to work and they're cute :3:

a life less posted:

I think they were talking about essentially adopting an ex-lab animal. It would have no service dog training, let alone house training, or training of any kind.

No, they're not lab animals. They're teaching animals for future service animal trainers.