Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Pickwick has started randomly trying to play tug-of-war with his leash on walks in past week or so and I'm trying to figure out what's going on. Is he bored with walking and this is fun? Is this normal rebellious 14 month old dog? It's usually on our morning walk which has a fairly repetitive route since I don't like to cross busy streets with the morning traffic. What's the best thing to do to discourage it? I've tried just stopping and ignoring him, but the tugging still seems to be fun for him even if I don't pull back at all. 'No' works for a second, but more as an interrupter, treats don't seem to help as tugging on the leash seems to be more fun than eating a tasty treat. Then after a minute or three of being awful he just quits and is fine for the rest of the walk, I have no idea what's goin on in his lil gremlin brain.

does pickwick have a tell that he’s about to start tugging? i ask because my 12 month old pup Eno decides every month or so that he finds it incredibly fun to jump up and bite my arm on walks and his tell is that he’ll rub his nose against the back of my pant leg about ten seconds before he’s ready to pounce. the only thing that’s worked for me to dissuade him is to recognize that he’s about to pull that stunt and then drop three or four treats at once onto the nearest patch of dirt or grass i can find. he’ll then start sniffing to find them and after he does that he’ll forget all about his scheme and go right back to a good walk. i found it’s more effective if you can stop the behavior right before it even happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Be careful with these with heavy chewers, they can absolutely break teeth. I’ve paid for 2 too many slab fractured tooth removals to risk them.

Beef cheek rolls are what I use most often.

i was giving my dog beef cheek rolls but he ate some big thin shard that broke off and threw up and several chewy reviews said that had happened to them too. so even beware of beef cheeks. it’s a shame because he loved them. i had to revert to bully sticks

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

eno figured out how to jump over the baby gate this morning :negative: