Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo
It takes awhile for the dog to adjust to a new home, our puppy took about two weeks before she started to act outgoing and really happy. It's a pretty stressful thing to suddenly live somewhere new with someone she doesn't know at all, just give it time and she'll probably come out of her shell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

So our 9 month old staffy has started barking at noises from the neighbours (we live in an apartment building). It started as a bark and then a few low volume coughy barks and now it's pretty much several barks in a row. I'm not really sure what to do about it or how we should react.

We usually call her over and tell her to lie down near us, telling her "no..." calmly and neutrally when she barks (which I'm not sure is helping or making it worse).

What I'm wondering is why is she starting this now and how do we react? I don't know if it's a ghost phase, if she's guarding us (she doesn't stop once we acknowledge her and she's not exactly a guarding breed), if she's bored, if she's scared or if she just wants attention.

Since we leave the radio on whenever she's home alone I've been thinking about training her to lie infront of the speaker whenever she barks at something since I don't want her barking all day when she's alone. I thought about exercising her more and trying to reward her after sounds, before she barks but afaik that's mostly dogs who are afraid of the noises which I'm not sure she is.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

I want to thank you all for the tips, we'll try working on it and see if we can tie hearing sounds to going over and lying down by the speaker.

Also, I got a nagging feeling when Control Unleashed was mentioned, I go through my book case and realize I have a translated edition of it that I haven't even opened :doh:.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

Veskit posted:

I think the pound just made her hate anything with a grate. I don't even care if this is bad training since she's quiet, not anxious and not peeing.[/URL]

If she's happy in the bathroom I don't really see a problem. You can keep the crate training going really slow and use the bathroom in the mean time.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

So this morning I found a 2 inch piece of a bully stick in our 15month old staffy's poo. I thought they were digestable :ohdear:, does this mean we'll have to start buying bigger ones and taking them away before she swallows the end piece or was it just a fluke?