Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Eegah posted:

Tater's first kindergarten class was today and the main thing I took away from it is that he's really a good dog and man, some other puppies got them some issues :staredog:

My border terrier Eccles has just started going to 'puppy school' as we call it and I've noticed our class has a few issue pups too. The worst is a very clumpy, thumpy (think bucking bronco) golden retriever of about 1 whose owner is a frail old women. This isn't normal puppy excitement bouncing, it's really smashing its feet hard into everything it can see. The handlers have to hold the dog the entire time during class as the owner just can't hold onto it. During off leash exercises her dog bounds into people and on a few occasions knocks people over.
I have no idea why this dog is in with our standard puppy/junior class, looks to me like it needs 1 to 1.

Eccles is pretty good at class which is nice as you never want to be the worst one there :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Getting a bit frustrated here.

My 11 month old Border Terrier isn't settling down in the evenings any more. She gets 2 long walks a day and I have several mega play sessions with her using a flirt pole so she's totally worn out. She's not left alone during the day either, there is always a family member about to keep her company. I don't think she's lacking in the exercise/company department.

Anyway - She always used to settle and snooze with us in the living room at night, but for the past few weeks she's running all over, whinging, jumping up and down off the sofa and snapping at feet. When we tell her 'off' she gets really pissy and starts barking. When it gets dark we close the back door so she can't go out into our (fenced off mega secure) garden. This really pisses her off and she expects to have garden access all the time, even if it's cold and dark out. She'll be like this until we go to bed at about 11.30pm.

Reading through the last few pages of the thread has made me pause to think - she was very ill a few months ago when she was on heat and vet said it was likely she'll have a phantom pregnancy. She isn't showing any physical symptoms, her teats are the same, no lactation or swelling in the stomach, but her behaviour has totally changed. That and she digs the carpet and our bed quite a bit now. Could it possibly be this? She was at the vets last week and had a once over health check and he said she was fine, although she's lost a little weight.

Sorry to write so much, can anybody give advice? Shall we be giving her time outs and getting tough, or if it's hormonal would that be causing her more distress?

She is booked in to be spayed on the 11th of September.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Holy crap, just wanted to say that getting a Kong toy for Bo was an excellent idea.

Kongs are excellent! Eccles never uses her one for chewing and she extracts treats from it in 0 seconds flat, however, it's great when you throw it and it goes bouncing off in unpredictable ways. She loves how skittish the kong is, like a cornered rat!

I recently bought her one of those mind puzzle games in which treats are hidden under a series of wooden cups on a grid. Instead of trying to figure out which cup hid the treat, she grabbed the first cup and zoomed off to play 'catch me if you can', all the while slowly crunching the feeble cup to bits. I can't decide if my dog is stupid as hell or an evil genius. Lucky for me that hunk of junk was like 75% off, now I know why - nobody tested on a real life dog.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I need some advice on leaving my dog alone.

I'm going back to Uni at the end of the month having had a year off sick. Eccles the border terrier is 11 months old and to date has always had me around. On Wednesdays and Thursdays I'm out all day so I'll be leaving Eccles at my parents house. She likes it there so I'm not too worried, but on Fridays I'll be leaving Eccles alone at home for about 4 to 5 hours. Not exactly an all day job but more than she is used to.

I hate the idea of her being alone, bored and frustrated. I know it's only 1 day a week but I would love some ideas of things I can do to make her alone time Fridays easier to bare. Any tips or tricks on how to keep to keep a dog entertained whilst you're out?

Here is an action shot of said dog scoffing down expensive German dogmeat. Her head was jackhammering so fast I couldn't get a blur free shot.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

a life less posted:

Just give her a good amount of exercise before you leave, and maaaybe a long lasting chew/bone/stuffed kong when you go and she'll be just fine. 4-5 hours is really not that long, and I think she'll get used to being alone relatively quickly.

Thanks a life less. It's nice to have some reassurance that 4-5 hours isn't that long. Googling this brings up pages of the most depressing Yahoo Answers written by people who probably shouldn't own dogs.

Thwomp posted:

This. Linus has gotten much better about being by himself since we started stuffing his kong with his favorite treat (canned chicken) before leaving/heading downstairs/going to sleep.

Plenty of exercise and a Kong it is! She has outgrown her puppy Kong so now is the perfect time to upgrade. Thanks again.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I need some advice please. Yesterday we got an 8 week old border terrier dog who we introduced very well to our resident 2 year old border terrier bitch Eccles. Eccles behaviour towards him is pretty much very positive, absolutely none of the warning behaviours as started in the op, she wags her tail and lies down with him and they play wrestling in a slow and subdued manner. The problem is Eccles has no off switch for play and gets wound up to excitement level 11 whenever the pup does an excitable play bow, a yip or a mini zoomie. Eccles will bark, leap about and expect full on adult play and the poor pup gets over whelmed and tries to back off whilst Eccles goes into terrier bark and shove mode. Not good!

I'm wondering what is the best way to break things up and break the bad play cycle without causing jealous feelings to develope in our older resident dog. I've been either picking up the pup to end playtime (however I worry Eccles will see this as favouritism by me giving attention to the pup over her) or I've been calling Eccles over to do a trick and rewarding her with a treat, sort of like a distraction. Trouble with this is Eccles will do the trick, take the treat then go right back to being a barky roughhouser.

At the moment we have no private pen/crate for the pup. I am driving out today to buy one as soon as the shops open, he really needs a non Eccles place he can rest and I think this will help a lot with the problem, but any advice is still greatly appreciated on managing my older dog so she won't feel ousted or jealous. Or am I over thinking this way too mch? I have a tendency to worry myself to death over small poo poo.

Also, our new pup drinks a lot. I mean, a lot! Would it be ok to lift up the water bowl for him last thing at night so he doesnt go piss cazy in the night or would that be cruel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

MrFurious posted:

Have Eccles drag the leash. I don't recommend picking up the puppy, this is going to frustrate Eccles and you're giving her an excellent opportunity to take it out on you or the puppy. When the puppy is giving signals that she needs a break, use the leash to rein Eccles in (gentle, but firm) and remove her from play. If she can't calm down within sight of the puppy, take her to another room for a few minutes to let her calm down a little bit and don't re-engage until she is. Help her practice what those signs mean.

I think I had it wrong the whole time about the severity of the aggression. I got a book I saw recommended elsewhere in PI (maybe earlier in this thread) called Canine Body Language by Brenda Aloff. It helped me a lot to be able to understand the things that are going on between the two dogs. Before I would see teeth and hear growling and think "dog fight nooo" and become super anxious about the puppy. When they play Eccles is growling and snapping thin air and to me looking like the devil but her body language is all loose and bouncy, hear ears are flopping all over, shes never tense are never holds eye contact and she frequently bobs down and rolls over to invite more play. Rufus gives way if she gets him pinned down before getting right back into the game. It still sounds and looks like a death match though, which is what was scaring me. We're still heeding your advice and gave Eccles a cool off last night that really helped to bring the temperature down and when play resumed it was less frantic and they could play for longer because it wasn't getting too stupid. Thank you for your advice.

Last night Rufus had had enough and kept trying to lay down to sleep and Eccles kept trying to invite him to play, growling, dropping toys in front of him, rolling on her back and basically doing everything in her power to lure him into a wrestle. Rufus relented a few times before finally giving her a clear message by getting up and taking himself out of the play area to sleep. Eccles, grudgingly, flopped down next to him and slept too. Really encouraging to see, I really hope they can build a good friendship.

Ohh also, I popped out of the room yesterday to do the washing up and when I came back Rufus has taken himself off into his crate and fallen fast asleep, yeaah! :dance: