Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RurouNNy
Dec 10, 2004

Oh man I appreciate that, you know I do!

ButWhatIf posted:

I'd like to throw out a piece of information. I've noticed a lot of people suggesting that a middle-of-the-night potty break is absolutely imperative, and that's not entirely true. While it can be helpful, it's not really 100% necessary. Dogs and humans both secrete antidiuretic hormone or vasopressin, which helps retain water in the body. More of this hormone is secreted at night, which is why we are capable of "holding it" while we sleep (unless we have an imbalance, which causes nocturia). This is also true of dogs. ADH secretion increases during a normal sleep cycle, so unless you suspect your puppy of potentially developing diabetes, or you plan on letting him sleep for more than 6 or 7 hours consecutively, you shouldn't need a midnight tinkle.

I wish I'd known this before, I was very guilty when I ultimately decided to stop taking my puppy out at 2am every night. For about the first week I had my puppy home (from 8 weeks - 9 weeks) I religiously woke her up at 2am every morning so she could have a potty break. She'd do her business and then it would take her at least 30 minutes to settle down again. I eventually decided that she seemed to be sleeping peacefully, so why wake her and get her all riled up if it wasn't necessary. She made it all the way through the night no problem that night and ever since. I think that helped save my sanity (well, as much as a puppy leaves you anyways).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU