Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
Is is this an ok place for a rant?

Years ago, my parents impulse bought a "cocker spaniel" from Amish BYB. They've never had a dog before, and of course the puppy was hyperactive, loud, and peed everywhere. They had no idea how to train it, and had no interest in training it either. The dog grew pretty large over the course of a few months (much larger than a cocker spaniel should be) and my parents had enough of having to do such time consuming things like walking the dog or cleaning up the poop/piss.

They got tired of the dog and dumped it on my uncle, who is quite poor and definitely did not need the expense of a new dog.

Recently, having forgotten how much they hated dog ownership, they bought a new puppy. While my dad was in an Oxycodone-induced haze from a surgery, my parents stopped at the Amish farmer's market again. This time they picked up a miniature Eskimo puppy. You know, the really hyper and intelligent breed that is NOT for novice owners. Not like they were going to do any research anyways...

The dog luckily is quiet and calm for the most part, but they still refuse to go to a trainer and they are already on the path to create a really nervous dog. Their idea of playing with him involves just running and chasing him, and having my young cousins all run around chasing him and screaming and yelling. I don't know much about dog ownership but that just doesn't seem like it will have a good effect on the dog when he gets older.

They also own several cats (and their terrible neglected treatment could fill an entire thread) and didn't even think about the fact that maybe the dog would chase them and hurt them.

Is there any way I can try to convince them to at least take the puppy to a trainer? He's already on the path of thinking that biting hands is acceptable and has bitten my mother's leg so hard it bled and bruised up.

He's a very sweet and cute dog and I don't want him to end up being given away or put in a shelter because my parents were too cheap to go to a trainer.

EDIT: I also strongly suspect that the puppy has been "debarked" because he never makes a sound. If he is really really scared he will make a short high pitched squeak, so maybe I am wrong.

script kitty fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU