Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
What are some good brands of puppy shampoo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

MrFurious posted:

Without recommending an actual brand, all you need to worry about is the pH balance of the shampoo. It needs to either be pH formulated for dogs, or it needs to be pH neutral (baby shampoo is fine in this respect).

There has been some discussion in the past over what does and does not constitute an acceptable dog shampoo, but, having done some research, I have not been able to find any credible evidence of issues other than allergic reactions (rare) and pH issues.

Keep in mind that dogs really don't need to be bathed that often, so if you're doing it once a week, it's definitely overkill.

Thanks. My wife and I adopted a puppy from a foster family. He was just a little bit smelly (probably something to do with his 9 other siblings all being fostered together) when we went to see him so we're going to give him a bath when we pick him up later this week.

edit: Another question, Dr. Ian Dunbar always mentions freeze-dried liver as a great treat. Is this something that people make themselves, or can I buy it somewhere. I have yet to see any 100% freeze-dried liver in any of the pet stores I've been to.

Koth fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 23, 2012

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I have a question about house-training. My ultimate goal is to have our puppy pee and poo outside in the back yard, but I'm a little confused as to how I go from having the puppy know to pee and poo on a pad in his long-term confined area to having him bark at the door when he needs to go out.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

MrFurious posted:

As alifeless stated, I don't really understand how a pee pad came into the mix to begin with. Did you read the house-training guide in the OP?

No, I got it from Dr. Ian Dunbar. He writes that you should use a pee pad in the puppy's long-term confinement area.

Actually, he doesn't specifically mention a pee pad. He writes a "toilet".

Koth fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 24, 2012

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

MrFurious posted:

The implication in his book there is that you're gone for an extended period of time, longer than the dog can hold it at that age -- hence a pen, rather than just the dog's crate. In addition, note that in the picture he uses a small square of sod, rather than a pee-pad. This is because dogs essentially train themselves to go in certain spots based upon a combination of smell and texture. Pee-pads encourage soiling on them because they smell like more pee. The reason for using sod is to train the dog that the appropriate place to relieve themselves is in the grass.

If you haven't done so already, I would strongly recommend that you read the Housetraining Guide I wrote and linked in the OP.

Yes, I did read it. It's very similar to Dr. Ian Dunbar's method. But you make a point of saying not to free-feed, and Dr. Dunbar says you should only feed your puppy with the use of Kong toys for the first while so they develop good chewing habits.

I do plan to take him outside while I'm home. The toilet in his long-term confinement area was only for when I'm not home. I can see how a dog would mistake any area rug for a pee pad, though, so I suppose they aren't very good to use.

It's going to be hard to find a piece of sod at this time of year though. I'll see if any of the nursery's have any sod yet.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
He will be alone for five hours in the morning before I come home for lunch. Then another two hours after I go back to work and before my wife gets home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
We have had Cerberus for about a month and a bit now. Things are going well. He starts puppy classes on Wednesday. The first class was last Wednesday, but it was for owners only. Crate training is going well, too.

He is 14 weeks old now and getting his final shot on Monday, so we will be able to take him to the dog park after that, which I'm looking forward to.

The only thing so far that I am unsure of is that we have two cats. Both cats generally just ignore Cerberus, and do not really initiate any interaction. Our smaller cat, Wartooth, will get fairly defensive and swipe at Cerberus if he tries to chase her or play with her, which I believe is normal cat behavior.

Our other cat, Doomhammer, who is larger than Wartooth by quite a bit is a different story. Whenever Cerberus tries to play with him, Doomhammer basically just lays down and lets Cerberus beat up on him in a playful way. I can tell he doesn't really like it because he meows like he doesn't like what is going on, but he never really stands up for himself.

I am not sure if that belongs in the puppy thread or cat thread.

Cerberus: