Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

We are currently in the process of getting a new Vizsla puppy. We've been on a hardcore search of the midwest and after talking with a few people in the area they recommended Shiloh Kennels. I found the website while looking, but it said nothing about puppies so I just passed it over. Found a link to his website on a gun dog breeder site which has a number of reviews on the breeder.

He has puppies ready to go in 10 days, but lives 3.5 hrs away we havent had a chance to check out the puppies. They're 6 in the litter and we have the pick of 2 males that were available. He hasnt been that active in calling back, but sounds like he's a judge for some field contest or something in Illinois thats happening currently.

Seems like it's good, but any of you pros decipher anything that we haven't?
He sent us 2 pics of the pups also, looks like the bottom left one may be a runt(or just female?). Hard to tell of course w/o seeing them.
Any questions beyond whats given in the OP we should ask or seek out?

Duxwig fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

He said they have three litters a year max. I agree on wire mesh, but not sure if that was something w the boarding he does. This is the most reliable breeder weve located so far, the rest looked pretty milly or questionable w lots of litters or advertising. He went to judge whatever, so seems eh too, but i know someone else is on the farm since we told him we sent a deposit and he said he called home and they had it. Seems a bit silly to have them in cages wo blankets or food etc, and bottom doesnt look crazy soiled.

Edit: And these are pics he sent us after we requested. I know hes not an idiot. If it was a mill, wouldnt he be smart enough to atleast it look sort of normal instead of that?

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Serella posted:

That breeder mentions "hip and health" guarantee, and you're going to want to find out what that means. Have the breeding stock been tested for hip dysplasia, or are they just willing to replace any sick or wonky dogs that may arise?

This is very clearly a working breeder. Do you want a working quality dog, with all the temperament and energy requirements that entails? All the reviews mention the dogs performing well in the field, so these are not going to be your standard pet-quality dogs whose idea of excitement and life fulfillment is playing catch in the backyard.

How many litters does this kennel breed per year? They mention they've currently got two litters on the ground -- spring litters. Are there summer, fall, and winter litters too? That seems like a lot of dogs. Not necessarily a puppy mill, but definitely not the best of breeders if they are churning out that many litters per year. The fact that they've got two litters at once stands out to me, but even more so if they are planning on breeding more litters this year. answered just above

They mention having a long-term breeding program, so you should ask about it. If they really do care about their lines, they will most likely be happy to tell you all about it, more than you will even be interested in.

They may well be a very good kennel, and when you get a chance to have a chat with them, I think you'll get a feeling as to whether or not they are legit and you want to support them. I think the thing that's important to remember is that if you don't get a good feeling from them, it doesn't have to be right now and you should walk away. Hope you're able to find the right pup.

We know he's more geared toward the working/hunting dogs and that will be some of their temperament. I get your sentiment that unless its really good, why risk it, but so far this is the best we've located so far(by referrals from people that deal w/ vizslas). We talked to another breeder who only does a litter once in blue moon and he had recommended them too. That breeder sat on the phone w my girlfriend for a good 30 mins. Girlfriend spoke to the breeder I linked to for 20-30 mins about various things, she talked to him about the working dog issue and he told her that he started that way but its near impossible to sell only to hunters so he sells for family pets also. They'll help board the dog, train the dog for hunt etc, so seems they are mostly geared to hunting dogs.
Going to call the place tomorrow to talk more to wife there, since he's at the German All Breed Championship in IL to Monday.

Duxwig fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 22, 2012

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

puppy crying at night question.

So we got our vizsla and he is supppppper good already at 8 weeks. During the day we have a play pen attached to his crate so he can play and go lay down. Hes fine w the crate and sleeps in it on his own during the day and chews toys etc. During the day hes usually quiet and just entertains himself when we leave the house or room for 15min-hour. Hes really great so far on potty and all the mistakes have been our fault, and thankfully not many!

We have the crate and pen in the living room which attaches to our bedroom. Hes only been home 3 nights but still in the cry stage. Know it takes time but just wanna see if were doing ok.

Like i said during day hes pretty good, but night is when he whimpers and such. we try to wear him out and make sure to potty before he goes in crate w a toy or two. Hes usually ok for 30 mins or so at night and then starts crying. People live below us and were not sure we can hear so its been hard.

Last night we ended up putting him to bed at 8 since i had to be to work at 7. He actually slept from 8 pm to 5am. Not a peep from him(prev 2 nights he howled a lot thro the night) No accidents unless he licked it up or something. Took him out and put him back in for quiet time but he bagan howling like a banshee. Was this just our fault for bed time to early or just our need for sticking to our guns until he still quiets himself?

Should we just put him to bed later and just assume he wants to be out and wake up to play once he goes out to pee?
Like i also said, crate is in the kitchen. We sleep in the bedroom. Should we move the crate into the bedroom so he can see us? At some points in the howl, one of us will slowly make our way out to the living room which connects to the kitchen and sleep on the floor. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesnt. We try not to say anything to him but not sure if this reinforces him. Gf also sometimes reads him a dr seuss book and he loves her voice and goes back to sleep for an hour or two. also bad or good?

We treid a ticking clock and warm water bottle w varying success.

Just looking for more guidance to see if were reinforcing or where we should go w this. We know hes going to cry somewhat, but trying to see if were doing things wrong so neighbors dont bitch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

MrFurious posted:

The rule of thumb for puppies is roughly 1 hour per month of age between bathroom breaks. Asking him to hold it all night is far too long at that stage, and you need to be prepared to take him out in the middle of the night.

I'd do it on a schedule rather than when he whines so he doesn't associate whining with being let out. I'd also review the housetraining guide and consider restricting water an hour and a half prior to bedtime so he's not going into his crate with a full bladder.

Maybe it was TL,DR but my question was about puppy crying at night in his crate. We take him to potty right before his bed time, has a toy, goes voluntary, etc. Just sad to be alone, etc.
Just wanting advice of crate placement and limit of interaction or visual when he does whine.

No issues w potty.
Had food? Potty. Had water? Potty. Played? Potty. Woke up? Potty(we did middle of night first 2 nights). Been 30-hour w nothing? Potty. Theres been 3 mistakes and those were our fault for trying to stretch the time a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duxwig
Oct 21, 2005

Anything I should be worried about teaching our just-now-10-weeks vizsla as far as commands?

We've had him a week and this is what we've worked on:

Working on getting him to stop or look at us if we call his name. We've been trying to work on "Come" also since our other biggest thought was that we travel alot and would like to be able to trust him off leash at times. He listens at times, but if he smells something or distracted by chomping on a toy...he won't listen...but I'm guessing thats just 10-week-old new puppy ADD mindset?
The next thing we wanted to work on was sit, but he's not very motivated for treats. The method we were reading was putting the treat in front of him and slowly moving it back behind him so he has to sit and look up...but he either just turns around w/o sitting or tries to jump for it. He seems to know that he needs to sit quietly to get his food and water, so I've been trying to use that to my advantage by saying "Sit" right when he auto puts his butt down to wait.

He loves toys and running after them, does OK on bringing them back. Things we've read said work on one command at a time. We've been working more on the "come" like I said when we throw the toys and mix up the sessions using "Drop" instead of fetch or come hoping that he'll learn to drop whatever things he's chewing on around the house also.

We've been trying to read alot of Patricia McConnell's books and things online when we get the time, but we're not sure timeline wise what our dog should be learning week by week.
Maybe that is seen as high expectations, but we just wanted a general gist so we know if we need to play catchup.
--------------------------------------
General non-command type stuff we've worked on in the last week:

**He's pretty good about housetraining. Still mistakes here or there. He whimpers at times to let us know he has to go but usually just us taking him out every 30 to hour to pee, working on him dinging the bell on the door.

**We've been trying to actively socialize him with everyone and anyone we can think of. All our family, men, women, kids, strangers. We don't know anyone w/ dogs really so we've been taking him to the pet store to sniff other dogs and such. He hasnt had any off leash time w/ other dogs yet. Hoping to get him into some puppy classes soon for socialization at the very least.

**Havent had much chance to work on bite inhibition. He runs around with an open mouth but doesnt really bite unless he's overly tired and in spaz mode. Usually then it doesnt hurt at all, but at what pressure level should we be getting up and walking away? Also trying to get him not to lick or get close to faces, since we'd not like to run that risk ever.

**Taking away his food and toys, praising him when he simmers down and waits...then giving them back to him. (gf had a dog that would get aggro if you tried to take food/toys, so we thought we'd work on that)

**Making him sit(think he's doing it unconciously) before we give him his food and water.

Duxwig fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 9, 2012