Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Is she drinking too much water? I cared for a friend’s pomsky who would drink until she had an accident if she was exercising a lot or it was warm. You had to limit her water intake (obviously without dehydrating her) during the summer. Same thing, no issues at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I would have him just drag a leash around for a while so he gets used to the sensation and stop him from being so freaked out about leashes being on. If having it still upsets him in the house you can just have him drag it when he’s working on a special chew or something.

Something like the silky leash method might also help him learn what you want him to do when there’s pressure on the leash without conflict or stress.

https://youtu.be/lavrLV1rKu8?si=hLJz20_uJaQhsFT-

Thanks for this video. So I’ve gotten him to drag the leash around and he’s gotten to the point where he’s not shutting down with it on or trying to chew it off. He still will not follow me from a place he wants to be to a place he doesn’t want to be, but if we are in unfamiliar territory, it’s certainly not loose leash but he doesn’t pull or dig his heels in or anything.

Obviously since he doesn’t have recall yet I’ve been super paranoid walking him on leash and having something happen where the collar slips around his head or something so I got a harness. We went on a very short walk this morning and he did OK, he met another dog who was friendly and that made his day.

Then this evening I was taking him on another walk. He was doing better. I can walk about 800 feet on my street and go down another street that is pretty quiet. I got about halfway down this next street and the unthinkable happened, the loving clip on his leash somehow popped off the ring on the harness. He started trotting back the way we came, and of course wouldn’t stop and wait for me. He took off running and I broke into a full sprint. Luckily he ran all the way back home, he can’t get back into my yard since it’s all fenced but he could get into my neighbor’s yard, and got as close as he could to his favorite corner. Eventually he sat down and I could walk up and clip the leash back onto him and give him a treat, catch my breath from panic sprinting as fast as I could a half mile in boots and a winter coat, then pick him up and bring him into my yard and let him do his business while I waited for the taste of blood to leave my mouth and be less lightheaded.

I looked at the leash and I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s a garden variety Top Paw thing from PetSmart. The spring tension on the release feels a little light but I can’t get the D ring from the harness to pop through it in any way. Maybe it draped over him in just the right orientation to open the latch, I dunno. I’m going to double leash next time, needless to say, and maybe use a screw carabiner or something. gently caress that was a lovely experience.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

It may not be prudent with him, but you can test it in the yard and house at home, but if you run away from him, playfully, will he chase you? Because generally the best advice is to run away from a dog rather than chase them, they're dumb like that.

If he is in a good mood, he will chase me. It’s part of what my trainer is having us work on…the beginnings of the come command start with getting him to chase then reward. But if he’s nervous because he’s somewhere new or if there’s a scary noise in the yard he won’t chase.

What kind of harness is it? I have a ruff wear harness that somehow manages to pop off leashes occasionally because of its weird shaped ring. It looks like Arcadia trail brand uses a similar ring so might cause the same problem.

It’s also a top paw harness. Same company makes the leash and harness.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

I’ll order one of these, thanks for the recommendation. They look bomb proof and reasonably priced.

For now, I have two leashes on his harness and a third slacker one to his collar so it doesn’t pull in case the harness fails (I’m not taking any more chances). Normally the leashes aren’t this twisted up.

He’s doing great! He’s not walking loose leash but he’s not really pulling either. If I stop, he stops, and doesn’t try to keep going. He’s a bit too nervous to take treats on the walk so once he gets calm enough I can start clicking when he gets looser. I need to leave him with my parents for a few days while I travel for work and they don’t have a fenced in yard so getting him up to speed on the leash was mandatory, but seeing his manners now gives me a lot of confidence.

For a while, I would put the leash on and he would dig his heels in and not move at all to leave the house. He would sit in his bed and not move. Clicking when he looked where I was guiding him didn’t work; he was too locked up to take a treat. Sliding the bed towards the door would get him to give up and come with. Now he actually walks where I guide him with no duress or bed sliding. The end of every walk is at least fifteen minutes of freedom in the back yard, so now he knows that step one to Outside FunTimes is harness and leash, so he sits like a patient little angel while I adorn him with this contraption, and even sticks his head through the harness voluntarily. He figured out how to not walk around telephone polls or mailboxes really quickly.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I wish I could know what Newton’s past is because every day I find weird stuff. I didn’t teach him this.

https://i.imgur.com/zFo7lAp.mp4

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Maybe you guys didn’t play with sound or maybe my joke wasn’t funny

But yea Newton flattered me by allowing half belly rubs after a couple weeks. I’ve only gotten the full inversion once or twice though. Don’t worry, I always oblige.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I honestly felt similar with Newton when I first got him. I watched people’s dogs and I knew I was ready for a dog and I knew I liked Newton and that him being skiddish around me was nothing personal. But I wasn’t sure about it for a while even after I got him. Like he wasn’t my dog. Like I was going to decide at any minute that having a dog wasn’t for me and I was going to bring him back.

Now 6 weeks in and I love him to death. I’m so glad I did it and I feel so lucky I found him. I’m away for work for a few days and he’s with my parents (they love him too of course) and I can think about nothing else but getting home and giving him a long walk and a treat and lots of pets.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

prom candy posted:

Talked to my wife some more, shared your comments, thanks everyone. We're gonna go for it! At the end of the day and I don't think there's any way having a nice dog move in with us could do anything but improve our lives.

Congratulations, and we look forward to pictures and hearing more about him!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Newton was OK with free feeding when I got him, he didn’t finish his meals. But I started putting them away if he didn’t finish them so that I could use them as a training reward. He gets a meal when he comes in from a walk/backyard time.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Man what a great dog, he looks like a total sweetheart. Sounds like you guys have some work ahead of you but you are prepared for it. Please keep posting updates.

I was also a nervous wreck for the first couple weeks with Newton, and he was too, but he showed it differently. Didn’t leave his crate, sleepy all the time, and tail always down. No whining or pacing or barking at all though.

Then we kind of fell into a routine. I didn’t realize how crazy I was about him until I had to leave for work for a few days and was a nervous wreck. I also didn’t realize how much progress he had made until other people like our trainer told me. He’s more confident, more affectionate, and happier now. He still has a lot to learn but I am so glad I adopted him.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Speaking of, we haven't have a newton update for a bit now

Tayter Swift posted:

Newton ate Bionicle and is now posting as them. Rip

Newton is doing great on his walks now. He barely pulls. I actually measured it, and it’s .2248 lbs of force, or exactly 1 Newton

I will post a real update shortly

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Shugojin posted:

getting puppy on SUNDAY

aaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaAAA

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Some great dogs ITT

OK so another Newton update:

I said earlier I had to leave him with my parents for a bit last week and was able to get him to walk on the leash like a pro. He got over his fears really quickly. It helps that my parents live in a better area for leash walks than I do (no sidewalks, but big shoulders and very little traffic, and a lot more trees). In the time they had him he started to get really excited when somebody put on their coat or got his leash and harness. When I picked him up I took him for a walk with my mom and he was having a blast...bouncing around, sniffing, tail up, he really enjoyed it more than the sidewalks near my place.

He learned leash physics really quickly. He won't tangle around trees or telephone polls, and if he gets the leash under his chest instead of over his shoulders he'll spin around and straighten it out without a second thought. He's pretty smart when he's not nervous.

Now our daily routine is instead of just going out in the back yard for play and bathroom breaks we do a walk around my block and end it in the back yard for play and off-leash freedom, and then more training.

He seems to be most comfortable in my room and in the back yard. So I've been doing most of the training in the back yard. Once he's done sniffing and looking for rabbits he seems pretty interested in earning treats. I can yell his name and he'll come to me (unless there's something more interesting). As he got more comfortable in the house and in the yard I found he would sit down of his own choosing more often. Yesterday I held a treat barely out of reach for a frankly inhumane 30 seconds until he finally sat down. I clicked, he got the treat. After a few more sessions he's doing it fairly consistently now. So far he knows to come when I say his name (when he's in training mode...when he's just been let off the leash in the yard he's still in rabbit mode, or maybe zoom mode, or maybe playing with sticks like a clown mode), Look At Me, Nose Touch, Sit, and Receive Pets..For a long time he was too skittish to take pets when he was off the leash in the yard. He liked it in his bed inside, but if you reached to pet him in the yard he'd run off or play-bow and run off because it was making him nervous so he had to turn it into a game. Eventually he got comfortable enough to take pets so I started clicking and treating whenever he didn't run off when I reached to him. I still have to be slow and crouch a bit but he's a lot better. Honestly when he finally did that it made me a bit emotional.

He's regressed a bit about coming inside on command. But I think this is because I haven't been consistent about my messaging to him. He would usually come inside if I said "Inside!" and was close enough to him for him to easily follow me. Then one evening something spooked him on the way and it broke the habbit...and he realized if he stopped, I would keep trying to get him to come in, which meant more time outdoors. And saying "inside" so much has worn the meaning off. At least now he usually doesn't run away any more when I need to put the leash on him, and I can walk him in with no drama. He's also pretty comfortable on the stairs and deck now since I dropped some treats on there and he will go up and explore. So hopefully by the time he's really firm on the "come" command he'll have no issues coming in for food. Maybe I'll switch to saying "house" when I clip the leash on and walk him in in the hopes I can do it without the leash, then I won't have to worry about wearing the meaning off the "come" command like I did with "inside."

Even though he's coming out of his shell and gaining more confidence he's still super well behaved. He hasn't destroyed anything. He did steal one of my socks before I put it on yesterday morning because he was so excited about walkies, but he gave it right back.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Baby got his last vet check before flying out on Monday! I’m so excited I’m going to explode.

Holy poo poo :3:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Gonna be so satisfying peeling off that cellophane though!

Newton did his final (for now) lesson with the trainer, this one also involved his dog which was helpful for me to see how the trainer interacts with him and what constant Look At Me check ins look like. The trainer’s dog is a big marshmallow husky named Orion who is a total sweetheart. It’s cool to see him instructing with what everybody says is a difficult breed. He’s very funny, he’s very obedient of course but he’s still a husky so he’s in no huge rush to do it like a herding breed, and he has a little sass. Newton and Orion spent a lot of time playing when actual instruction wasn’t happening which gave Newton more confidence and probably made it easier to learn what was going on from a dog he could relate to. Honestly much more helpful for me to see what good dog behavior looks like with something other than a border collie or Aussie that’s laser-focused on what the human wants.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Millie looks like she’s happy she’s here, and knows that everybody else is too

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

an egg posted:

today is a blessed day

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Yeah I love his permanent :crossarms: eyebrow

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Any good recommendations for toys for dogs that like to shred? Newton doesn’t seem to want to cuddle or fetch his plush toys too much and when he shows interest in them he usually noses them around a bit and then eviscerates them. Letting him do this when he feels the need to Rip and Tear is expensive and from what I understand penguin offal is not good for dogs when it is made from cotton.

The godless beast, enjoying his wretched meal

Last night he found my bathrobe belt and started on that and I tried to redirect him to his bone but that doesn’t hit the same.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Stravag posted:

Have you tried one of those redestroyable toys that velcro back together? I don't know how well they stand up to determined destroyers

I haven’t, do you have a link? It’s probably something I have to make sure he tears apart correctly rather than just letting him go to town on his own but I’d be interested in trying it.

Joburg posted:

Tuffy dog toys are good but pricy. They are rated for toughness and we stick to 8/10 or higher. We have a couple that have been around since November. The stuffing seems to be real cotton so if it gets all over the yard it’s no big deal, unlike toys that have polyester filling.

For an ultra cheap option we let our dogs tear up cardboard boxes. It makes a big mess and you have to watch that they don’t swallow too much but they love them.

He actually has a Rutabaga Rabbit from Tuffy (8/10) and has removed one foot and an ear, and started boring through the side as well. There is a little pile of stuffing every time he plays with it. I think if the dog wants to play tug or thrash it it’s a good choice but any soft toy is not going to hold up to dog looking to chew/destroy it.

Last night he was bored and found my shoe, I took it away and gave him a nylabone that he doesn’t chew on very often because it’s usually in a room where he doesn’t spend a lot of time and that seemed new and different enough to capture his attention.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I am concerned that my puppy doesn’t like me :(

She wags her tail and runs to me when I get home after being away for awhile.

She wags her tail when playing with me (tug AND fetch!), but she usually only wants to play with me for maybe 3-6 minutes tops.

Other than that she seems morose and seldom wags her tail.

But she LOVES to play with other dogs! She will chase and wrassle for so long. Her tail will be wagging a ton when she’s playing with other dogs. Puppy day care and puppy play dates have been fantastic for her.

She has stranger danger anxiety and doesn’t like unknown dogs or dogs when she’s out on walks with her lead. Heck, she doesn’t even really like being out on walks. She does her business and tries to immediately go back home.

I just want her to be happy! :unsmith:

E: also we have a cat and the cat is super tolerant of the puppy. The puppy loves the cat and wants to play with the cat.

I’m not an expert but my (older, 1.5 year) dog that I adopted was kind of the same. He loves other dogs. He becomes a lot more confident when he is around confident dogs. And not always with me. When I first got him he was scared of everything and his tail was always down, until I had another dog over, then he was happy and playful and confident. Then after that other dog left, he went back to being uncomfortable, and he would just stare at me blankly from his crate when I came home. I couldn’t walk up to him and pet him in the yard, he’d either run away or turn it into play so he could run away. But over the past few months of working with him all the time he has gotten a lot more confident and happier around me and without other dogs. After a month of just chase and fetch in the yard (which he also got bored with after maybe 10 minutes), I started doing his training there. He loves training and will work for kibble as long as I want to let him. Every time he learns something new he seems to bond more closely with me. So maybe you need to do new games with her? Also, puppies have an attention span of about 5 minutes so if she gets bored with those games that quickly it’s nothing personal.

None of the changes I saw with Newton happened quickly and every time somebody came over who knew him they remarked how much better he seemed and how much more attention he paid to me, but I hadn’t noticed this because it had been so gradual. What I’m getting at is almost nothing happens quickly when it comes to dogs’ moods and being a consistent and positive force in her life will absolutely pay off.

I’d also recommend finding a good trainer who will come to you for some weekly lessons. Even though i could have read everything he told me online or watched YouTube videos about it, it was super helpful for me to have an expert tell me I was on the right path and give me direction.

post puppy pictures

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Go pizzadog, you are a saint. What a shame such a sweetie never got the attention she deserved until now.

Also echoing Dr Voodoo’s question about tooth brushing, I want to keep Newton’s chompers nice. He gets daily greenies.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
What kind of toothpaste are you guys using? Why does the dog toothpaste on Chewy cost 5 times as much as people toothpaste? I feel like if I buy it, I will be the subject of somebody’s standup bit

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
That’s funny. Hard plastic and metal dog is fun to play with if a bit weird.

Newton has gotten comfortable enough in his yard to bark at strangers who come a bit too close. But his warning woofs sound like a steam locomotive starting before the real awoowoos begin (sound):

https://i.imgur.com/kWUears.mp4

Kids riding bikes across the street, crows eating roadkill, or other suspicious activity can get the steam engine going. People coming up to the house get awoowoos, unless they come in the yard, then they get barked at a little and inspected nervously, and if they have treats, they are treated with caution for 15-20 minutes and then they are OK. If they bring a dog, or smell like a dog, they are best buds.

I’ve been working on stepping between him and the intruder and getting a Look At Me, and he stops. It’s not foolproof yet but we are getting there.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Bless him, he's so adorable. I wish Freja could meet Newton! I think they'd be good friends.

She's been out with me today for 2.5 hours walking and doing exposure training and she's shattered now. She's snoring away on the sofa, while sleeping sat upright. She's so odd sometimes but she's finally starting to calm down with people and other dogs and having some self control which I'm very happy about.

I’m sure they would get along great, Newton hasn’t met a dog he doesn’t like. Even the reactive bully mix some guy was walking who was snarling and pulling to get at us, Newton was wagging his tail hoping they could work things out and be buds.

I also just got back from our first longer walk in the woods (kind of). First we went to the town forest but there was a big warning sign saying hunting season was open and to wear orange. Newton looks like a coyote or a deer depending on the angle and I had a black jacket and brown hat so we turned around lest our asses get capped by Bob on his fifth Natty Lite. We went to our rail trail (paved walking path that used to be a railroad) and did a couple miles. He was nervous as hell at first but after a half mile to get away from the road his tail was up and he was happily sniffing and pissing on stuff

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I’m so sorry you had two bad experiences and had to give Diego and Jasper/Wallace up. I was a nervous wreck at a couple points the past few months with Newton and all things considered he really hasn’t been challenging at all.

I feel like a rescue not disclosing a bite to a new adopter is asking for a lawsuit.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I can’t get Newton to do it either. He just looks at me like :what:

Also he has gotten over his fear of frisbees but he still can’t catch them, or pick them up

https://i.imgur.com/gI2XgY5.mp4

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

St_Ides posted:

My dog has the same problem with solid inflexible Frisbees.

I highly recommend flexible Frisbees or Frisbees with a hole in the middle, or some combination thereof.

Makes it easier to pick up, and with flexible Frisbees, they can fold in half leading to hilarity when they're holding it folded in their mouth and it looks like they have giant red lips.

Yeah I grabbed this one because it was super cheap and I wasn’t sure he was going to like it, which was the right move at the time since it flew in a haunted floating fashion and not a tumbling parabolic arc like an honest god-fearing stick and was not to be trusted. Time for an investment grade dog specific frisbee, I like the ring ones too so he can grab it from the inside and it makes a ring around his head.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

StrixNebulosa posted:

"so how is Apollo enjoying the snow?"

Good dog

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Newton is currently staying with my parents while I’m away for work (last loving time I swear) and he does pretty well with them, probably because they love the poo poo out of him and have great walking areas. I miss the hell out him and I’m only surviving from the pictures I get from every walk.

His shadow looks like a wolf

He dug a hole and deployed airplane ears

Edit: forgot to mention my relief hearing about TMA and Pavlov’s successful journey. Hope he settles into his new home comfortably.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 24, 2024

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Hell yeah

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I used to have a lot of rabbits coming through the yard but Newton’s chasing them out when he sees them and peeing around the border seems to have delapinated the place after a week or so. So hopefully Pavlov will do the same and have fewer yard raisins.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I will post a bigger update soon but it’s been three months plus 1 week that I’ve had Newton.

He has started coming into work with me (I usually work from home but occasionally go into a makerspace) and just plops down on his bed, zero drama.

He had a great time at the dog park on the way home

Sadly, it’s not all roses.

He has turned to a life of crime.

Gangs

Theft

https://i.imgur.com/J31ptGl.mp4

Excavating with no permit

https://i.imgur.com/K0bNAMQ.mp4

And speeding

https://i.imgur.com/3iywaUz.mp4

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Thanks all, he’s definitely come a long way but sometimes it’s hard for me to tell how much since I’m with him every day.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Omg she’s so fluffy

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Bigger Newton update:

He's gotten a lot more affectionate with me. He's not clingy at all, he will usually stay in my room until I get him to come out. But he greets me with a waggy tail and some gentle kisses when I come home from being out for a few hours, instead of a blank stare from his crate. He loves showing me his back/butt and turning around C shaped for pets, which is new in the last month (for a long time he didn't really like being pet too much unless he was in his bed). If I sit down on a cinder block in the yard he runs over and is content to sit with his back to me for pets. He also has gotten comfortable enough for contact play, he snaps his jaws playfully and gently mouths at my hands once in a while.

He very rarely goes in his crate now, only when I leave for a while. When I'm home, he's in one of his beds if he's not out for a walk with me, or sometimes cautiously exploring the house.

He's doing well with people. New intruders to the driveway get warning huffs, if they enter the yard they get barked at for a few minutes, then they are cool. If they bring a dog, or smell like a dog, they are cool right away. If new people come into the house, he will investigate cautiously, and get comfortable with them pretty quickly (guests are required to give him treats). He seems to be a lot more interested in what's going on when I have people over. If I'm in the living room alone, he is usually happy in my room or sometimes he’ll come out to hang out with me. If I'm in the living room with guests, after he says hi, he'll lay in his living room bed, just chilling like anybody else on any other piece of furniture. If he meets new people while we are out he seems to warm up to them quickly and enjoys pets, but doesn’t jump on them or beg for it. I've never seen him decide he's had enough affection and take off though. Just super, super sweet without being a cloying doofus.

He's still most comfortable in my room, in the yard, or in the woods. For a long time he didn't really like walks around the neighborhood but he did it because he got to play in the yard afterwards. But now he's starting to walk with his tail a little higher, and he's not as afraid of trash cans, mailboxes, or political signs. He adores hikes in the woods, I took him out with a 100 foot leash the other day so he could explore a little further away from me and he had an absolute blast.

Recall is decent in the back yard if he's not too interested in squirrels or something and 50/50 if we are somewhere else. I think it used to be better then he discovered the wonders of what was going on just beyond the fence. When I took him to a huge field with his 100 foot leash for the first time, he didn't really seem to know what to do, and was so overwhelmed with his newfound freedom he didn't seem to remember the come to me game. But he did after a while. He also didn't try to take offr or anything. When I was walking him in the woods with his long leash, he wanted to go wherever I was going, but he would try to go as far ahead on the trail as I would let him until he figured out he figured out I was going in a different direction.

He doesn't like car rides and shakes a bit. But now he hops in if I guide him with the leash at least; I don't have to pick him up and put him in the car anymore. Since I take him somewhere fun almost every time he gets in the car, he's gotten a lot better.

We still have more to work on with training, but he's a lot more confident at least, and he knows the basics...it's just a matter of doing them in every situation and not just in the back yard with no distractions. I've gotten him to do Look At Me more consistently during walks lately.

He's not super into toys. He likes to chew once in a while, but if I get him a new plush or whatever he noses it around a bit, maybe chews off the tag, and forgets about it. Getting treats out of his Kong is always fun, but otherwise, he's just as happy chasing sticks as anything as long as he has his bone to gnaw.

He has impeccable manners around other dogs, absolutely loves every one he meets and even if they are assholes who snap at him he backs off and keeps wagging his tail.

Anyway I'm so, so glad I found him and he's the perfect dog for me. He loves doing fun stuff outdoors but if it's super gross and rainy and we only do two walks and a two 10 minute sessions in the yard he doesn't get destructive or anxious. Thank you so much to everybody who helped give words of encouragement, helped me find the right trainer, and talked me off the ledge when I was sure he hated me and was never going to leave his crate. Who would have thought the best dog owners community on the internet was the Something loving Awful forums.

Also his DNA test is in the mail and I'll post how much Golden Retriever/Husky/Border Collie/Fox/Coyote is in him when I get it.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Newton’s practicing his snoozin today with me after his first vet visit this morning, dude’s all zonked from getting all of his vaccines and his chip, he now has full 5g connectivity

He did great. When I adopted him the shelter told me they had to guess about his weight because he was too much of a mess to stay on the scale, but this morning he climbed on no problem (he’s 50.9 pounds of pure violence and rage FYI)

He settled down in the exam room and was actually calm enough to take some milkbones from the vet and the tech. Being that they are nice ladies that smell like dogs, he got along great with them.

Everything else looks good, he’s perfectly healthy.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Ok the shelter was technically right about Newton being husky and golden, in the same way that someone would be right saying that the US is German and Scottish

So if you want a Newton of your own sorry, the recipe is a secret. Not sure how accurate this is but I enjoyed doing it.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Somebody got super muddy in the field and came to know the unspeakable horrors of bathtimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've been in PA for a month now, and I've noticed something weird: while there's lots of dogs in the neighborhood, something like 90% of them, the owners aren't willing to let them say hello! It's always "oh, she's not good with dogs" or "he's not friendly" or "I dunno, he can be kind of weird". What's the deal? Pavlov's not getting as much socialization as he or I would like, and hell, I want to say hi to the dogs. :(

Where did you move from? I think in general people in the Northeast tend to have a bit more reservations about talking to strangers and they bring that with them with their dogs. I’ve lived in New England all my life and didn’t realize how guarded we were until I traveled a bit. I see the same thing with Newton, but met a few other dogs who are now buddies with him. Hi Mookie! Also met a dude named Jimmy who got an older dog about the same time I got Newton, last time I walked by his house he had the garage door open playing music loud as hell, he invited me in to show me the dog house he was building for her. He also had Kiss figurines and a motorcycle where the headlights were held on by chrome skeleton hands, Jimmy rules. But his dog really does hate Newton.

If you go to a park or other area where everybody is walking their dogs people will probably be a lot more friendly, but it does suck to not have your neighbors want to chat and make dog buddies.

If you come to NH you and Pavlov can say hi to Newton :unsmith: