Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

HootTheOwl posted:

Welp, time to completely reset all your progress
Bath time?
:godwinning:

All progress erased, including “sit”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Hoping that Freya is back to 100% soon.

Newton continues to be a good boy. He had hookworm but got treated for it and they’ll check again at his next vet appointment.

He came to Easter, everybody loved him except my cousins ornery ancient pitbull who decided he was too close to the kids when all the kids walked up to him and ripped out some of his neck fur. Newton was unfazed and still wanted to try to be buddies with the pitbull. I was very much fazed.

He has a favorite toy which is a big knotted rope, his very favorite game was to attack and chew on the leash when it was time to go inside (partly because it was fun, partly because he didn’t want to go inside), so I got him to redirect his violence to the rope. It’s the first thing he really loves to tug, grab, and thrash around like a mace and club me in the shins with.

Neeeeeyow zoom snap chomp

https://i.imgur.com/4W6dAV5.mp4

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Newton is a little over 1.5 years and gets close to the bag recommendations. He gets walked about 4 miles per day with plenty of playtime in the back yard and the vet says his weight is perfect.

He was staying with my parents for a few days and randomly decided to stop eating his kibble…still super into treats though. So he got switched from Carna4 which he had been on for a few bags back to Science Diet and he has been totally housing that. No idea why, just decided he was sick of it I guess.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

I don’t get it either, when I adopted him at an estimated 45 pounds the girl at the shelter said he was getting three cups per day and it seemed like a lot, but I stuck with it (maybe a little less to make up for treats) and he only got up to 50 in about 4 months and the vet said that was perfect. He lost 1.5 pounds from his first vet appointment until his boosters 1 month later, so I started giving him a little more. He must have high metabolism or something, he’s pretty wiry.

Just like your rear end in a top hat friend who can down burgers every day and not gain any weight

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I took Newton along for his first day of my favorite nerdy hobby today, flying RC airplanes. We fly at a big farm which has a nice shady area with trees in the middle of it. Several guys bring their dogs from time to time. Newton did awesome, considering he was terrified of anything moving under its own power a few months ago, and terrified of frisbees a month before that. It was also his first time off leash outside of my yard. I started with a lead anchored into the ground, then went to a long lead, then let him drag his long lead, then he was OK dragging the short lead. He’s gotten to the point where he feels safest around me so he didn’t ever want to wander off too far. Being in the middle of nowhere really helped too.

With his playmate for the day, Zeke (he’s a German shepherd mix who’s truly massive, over 120 lbs, and a lovable doofus):

Hanging out while Zeke’s owner flies:

About as close as I could get him to sit to my airplane:

We also went on a walk for a couple miles on the trails around the field and he is now plum tuckered out.

He’s still not a big fan of the car ride. He gets in with some coaxing but he shakes and pants quite a bit, hoping he gets more used to it if I keep taking him to fun places.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

HootTheOwl posted:

Do you roll down the window?

Also did Newton chase an airplane?

I’ve tried but he shies away from the scary windy opening. Doesn’t seem to enjoy sniffing the air like a normal dog.

No airplane chasing yet, he’s wary of the planes even if not fully spooked.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

me: you're a very bad dog!

How could you

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I got home from taking Pavlov to a nearby park, and as we got out of the car, he spotted a rabbit and lunged after it...and the leash broke. Snapped the carabiner right off. Fortunately, the rabbit got away, and Pavlov was more interested in going to the back yard to secure it than he was in exploiting his new-found freedom.

It was an old leash, but I'm still surprised the metal would just break like that.

Cheap cast metal is weird stuff, sometimes there are voids in it that turn into cracks over time and it breaks in expectedly.

I had the exact same situation with Newton on his first walk ever but the clip came off somehow, like Pavlov he just ran home and waited by the fence luckily. I keep forgetting to buy a higher quality leash and harness for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Tips for getting dogs to learn to like/play with other dogs? My buddy has a pomsky who is the sweetest goddamn thing in the world once she gets to know you. She’s well behaved and super affectionate. Taking care of her a few times was a big part of me deciding to adopt Newton.

Problem is she was a Covid puppy and didn’t get a lot of socialization and doesn’t like other dogs. She snarls and growls a bit if they come near her until she gets used to them and then she is indifferent. My friend has been trying to get her to learn to like other dogs but she hasn’t had a good buddy for that yet, the only other dog she had to play with is a lot smaller and was intimidated by her bullshit. Newton loves other dogs and wants to play, but with non-cooperative dogs like her he just ignores them. Being that he has good manners and is not intimidated by her I thought he might be a good buddy for her to become less awkward.

Newton and the sass machine: