Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Is there any way to undo six years of damage to a dog's mind? We don't punish Zoso when he has accidents because, well, there's no point. And he tends to pick easy cleanup places (including the side of a toilet once) so whatever. I just act like there's nothing wrong with the day and go on business as usual.

Zoso, however, literally makes himself sick with worry waiting for us to come home. He gets sick to his stomach and can hardly move around or eat. He's always better in an hour or so. But I'd rather him be a happier, worry free dog. Today, for instance, when I got home I took him out and rather than boudning around the yard, he shuffled down to the corner, pooed and then walked back all with his head down and his tail between his legs. When we got inside I gave him a treat like usual, then he walked over to his crate and sat in it, looking really sad and uncomfortable. After I cleaned the pee I went over to him and told him he's a good boy and scratched his ears and the like, but he's still completely shut down.

We know something bad happened to him with one of his many past owners. His ribs were all broken at one point and healed poorly (one sticks out a bit) and his jaw was broken at some point too. Clearly that healed wrong :lol:. A lot of back story I know, but I just don't know how to help him besides praising and treats and not making a big deal out of it when he has an accident (maybe once every few months). It's been three years of this. Any other ideas?

My dog has ISSUES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU