Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ribsauce posted:

My favorite Peter King moment ever was him bitching up a storm because someone got mad at him for talking in the Amtrak Quiet Car.

I will never like Peter King because he talked poo poo about Cam Newton before he ever met him in person and spoke to him.

Then when he went to the Panthers training camp and Cam went to talk to other reporters and fans except him he wrote about it crying that Cam was petty and rude and "snubbed him".

gently caress king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Of the Jets beat guys, Rich Cimini is completely horrible, Bart Hubbuch has hilariously bad opinions, and Manish Mehta and Jenny Vrentas are both very good. Brian Costello and JP Pelzman are alright, I guess.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Peter the King vs Cam was so awesome. King takes him totally out of context and does so much damage to his reputation it is almost incalculable. He seriously, with one carelessly tweeted out of context quote, created a week straight of "Cam Newton is a DIVA blablabla" white folk talking heads talk and could have cost him the first pick.

Then a month later Cam doesn't want to talk to him and Peter hops up on a cross like he was jesus christ himself being crucified "oh how could he not want to talk to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, PETER KING, MEDIA MEMBER WHAAAAA"

gently caress him so much, it is a disgrace he has so much power in the NFL (hall of fame voter for life, TV, considered the number 1 reporter, 11 pages of rambling nonsense on SI every week and a prime time NFL show)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Peter King's got everyone involved in the NFL on speed dial but gently caress that, let's spend a page on how tough it is to get good WIFI at the airport.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

The new Lions writer, Tim Twentyman seems pretty spot on.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Hizawk posted:

The new Lions writer, Tim Twentyman seems pretty spot on.

I liked Tom Kowalski and was sad when he died. He was always pretty well informed and generally honest about the team and their shortcomings.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Kalli posted:

Peter King's got everyone involved in the NFL on speed dial but gently caress that, let's spend a page on how tough it is to get good WIFI at the airport.

Where else would you get advice on what lattes to drink during Super Essex Conference field hockey and lacrosse?

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
John McClain from the Houston Chronicle has plenty of inside sources but is quite often full of poo poo to a remarkable degree. In my opinion he also tends to latch onto stupid ideas, whether his own or things he hears, and then stick with them no matter how absurd the surrounding situation gets.

And speaking of retarded ideas and not understanding the big picture, never listen to a word that comes out of Jerome Solomon's mouth. He's another Chronicle guy, and as of late seems to think parroting stupid poo poo radio callers think is good journalism - he's tried to lead the charge to get Peyton in Houston. Because Matt Schaub is not good, you see. gently caress the offensive scheme, gently caress the personnel, gently caress the playcalling, ship out Schaub and plug in Manning and a super bowl trophy will materialize on Kirby Drive.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

jeffersonlives posted:

Of the Jets beat guys, Rich Cimini is completely horrible, Bart Hubbuch has hilariously bad opinions, and Manish Mehta and Jenny Vrentas are both very good. Brian Costello and JP Pelzman are alright, I guess.

Manish Mehta seems to get the most national scoops of any local beat writer anywhere, I think. Any idea how often he's right?

You guys don't have to do nearly the work I did in my post, but if you wanna look back over somebody's claims thus far in free agency, it can be pretty drat interesting.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
John Clayton first said Mario Williams had already left Buffalo even though he was at a Sabres game, then he said Mario Williams would not sign anything without visiting other teams, and now Mario Williams is a Bill. Not that Clayton being wrong is news, but there you go.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Cross posting cause not only does Peter King not write well about terrible coffee, he doesn't quite grasp grammar.

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO -- "It's going to be a blood bath," Giants defensive tackle Chris Canty said this week of the NFC Championship Game.

Right sentiment, wrong adjective. "Mud." Mud bath.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Rogue Elephant posted:

Cross posting cause not only does Peter King not write well about terrible coffee, he doesn't quite grasp grammar.

We are not talking about an intelligent man, after all.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

Arschlochkind posted:

John McClain from the Houston Chronicle has plenty of inside sources but is quite often full of poo poo to a remarkable degree. In my opinion he also tends to latch onto stupid ideas, whether his own or things he hears, and then stick with them no matter how absurd the surrounding situation gets.

And speaking of retarded ideas and not understanding the big picture, never listen to a word that comes out of Jerome Solomon's mouth. He's another Chronicle guy, and as of late seems to think parroting stupid poo poo radio callers think is good journalism - he's tried to lead the charge to get Peyton in Houston. Because Matt Schaub is not good, you see. gently caress the offensive scheme, gently caress the personnel, gently caress the playcalling, ship out Schaub and plug in Manning and a super bowl trophy will materialize on Kirby Drive.

It would disappear in a pothole.

Borsche
Jun 6, 2011

by T. Finninho
I actually really like John Eisenberg, even though he has a bit of a flair for the dramatic. He's pretty factual, though he doesn't break down the game itself that extensively. He does what a sports writer is supposed to do.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Arschlochkind posted:

Is that smell John McClain, or the Crown Paper mill? :iiam:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Rap posted:

Manish Mehta seems to get the most national scoops of any local beat writer anywhere, I think. Any idea how often he's right?

Not like in terms of a spreadsheet, but he's usually pretty good. He was the guy who initially reported the Holmes/Burress/Mason rebelling against Schottenheimer/Sanchez stuff early last season that everyone called fake...and which turned out to be dead on the money.

Borsche
Jun 6, 2011

by T. Finninho
The Free Agency thread got me thinking about key words and phrases that I loving hate seeing in sports writing and journalism.

Calling someone a hard worker. Of course they are going to be a hard worker, I'm pretty sure that almost everyone in the NFL is a hard worker.

Makes plays/is a play maker.

He's a winner.

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.

Borsche posted:

Calling someone a hard worker. Of course they are going to be a hard worker, I'm pretty sure that almost everyone in the NFL is a hard worker.

Counterpoint: Albert Haynesworth

Borsche
Jun 6, 2011

by T. Finninho

The Incredible Ed posted:

Counterpoint: Albert Haynesworth

I guess my point is that people are expected to be hard workers, so calling them such provides no information at all. I guess its just par for the course in sports journalism. They never have anything interesting to say so they have to fill it with fluff.

midwat
May 6, 2007

My pick for the "Mike Florio run-on sentence of the day" is this lede:

"As Peyton Manning gets closer to a decision about his future (hopefully, he’s not getting farther away from making up his mind), the Broncos remain extremely viable — especially with the Dolphins reportedly focusing on Matt Flynn and the Cardinals having to decide by 4:00 p.m. ET on Friday whether to keep Kevin Kolb on the roster and owe him $7 million as of Saturday."

Let's look at the errors, shall we?

1. Wastes words trying to be clever. "Manning is closer to making up his mind, unless he isn't."

2. Uses "farther" instead of "further." Farther refers to physical distance, further to metaphorical distance.

3. "The Cardinals having to decide by 4:00 p.m. ET..." 4 p.m. is preferred over 4:00 p.m. for simplicity's sake. Is it necessary to denote "Eastern Time" here? Did the league suddenly move its offices to Wichita?

4. Really, that whole "Cardinals" sentence fragment is a mess. It contains overly specific information about a topic that has nothing to do with the main thrust of the story.

(In fact, the story ends up being about how the Jaguars or Dolphins could end up with Tim Tebow. Did you catch any of that from the lede?)

Why include "as of Saturday"? It just confuses an already-long sentence. Just say the Cards need to make a decision on Friday.

Conclusion: PFT has no copy editors.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

For a middle of the road opinion, I'm kind of "meh" on ESPN's AFC South guy, Paul Kuharsky. He has some decent insight and sources, but a lot of the time it just feels like he's pulling crap from other places without regard to the trustworthiness/newsworthiness of the sources. For example, twice in the past 24 hours he has used the Bleacher Report as a source. :rolleyes: (though to be fair, one was kind of a "look at what this guy said" and the other was a "this guy thinks this but I disagree")

He does turn around content pretty quickly though, so within half an hour or so of a big breaking event he'll have something posted on the blog.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Kuharsky is a regular fixture on 104.5 in Nashville and he works the Loud Obnoxious Jersey Guy schtick for all it's worth. The only remotely good thing about him is when he gets in shouting matches with dumb redneck callers and just starts openly insulting them.

With any luck Frank Wycheck just snaps one day and crushes his skull on live radio.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Kuharsky is a regular fixture on 104.5 in Nashville and he works the Loud Obnoxious Jersey Guy schtick for all it's worth. The only remotely good thing about him is when he gets in shouting matches with dumb redneck callers and just starts openly insulting them.

With any luck Frank Wycheck just snaps one day and crushes his skull on live radio.

Oh yeah I only ever read his articles/tweets/chats but I can see that, especially from his chats on espn.com, he can be very snarky but half the time I don't blame him because it's stupid people asking stupid poo poo or pulling stupid gimmicks like putting "Vince Young" in as their name and "Winning Games" in as their "location".

RustySeabutter
Nov 11, 2000

Puncho!

jeffersonlives posted:

I'd put Rod Boone in the alright category too.

Cimini is a complete cockface and i hope he gets crabs.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

midwat posted:

My pick for the "Mike Florio run-on sentence of the day" is this lede:

"As Peyton Manning gets closer to a decision about his future (hopefully, he’s not getting farther away from making up his mind), the Broncos remain extremely viable — especially with the Dolphins reportedly focusing on Matt Flynn and the Cardinals having to decide by 4:00 p.m. ET on Friday whether to keep Kevin Kolb on the roster and owe him $7 million as of Saturday."

Let's look at the errors, shall we?

1. Wastes words trying to be clever. "Manning is closer to making up his mind, unless he isn't."

2. Uses "farther" instead of "further." Farther refers to physical distance, further to metaphorical distance.

3. "The Cardinals having to decide by 4:00 p.m. ET..." 4 p.m. is preferred over 4:00 p.m. for simplicity's sake. Is it necessary to denote "Eastern Time" here? Did the league suddenly move its offices to Wichita?

4. Really, that whole "Cardinals" sentence fragment is a mess. It contains overly specific information about a topic that has nothing to do with the main thrust of the story.

(In fact, the story ends up being about how the Jaguars or Dolphins could end up with Tim Tebow. Did you catch any of that from the lede?)

Why include "as of Saturday"? It just confuses an already-long sentence. Just say the Cards need to make a decision on Friday.

Conclusion: PFT has no copy editors.
hahahah when I got to the "as of Saturday" dangling modifier my eyebrows literally shot up. with heroin

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
Crossposting a find by Indifferent in N/V that shows how current and former Texans players feel about Jerome Solomon.

Read bottom to top:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Arschlochkind posted:

Crossposting a find by Indifferent in N/V that shows how current and former Texans players feel about Jerome Solomon.

Read bottom to top:

These tweets seem a little hard to understand without Solomon's context

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Febreeze posted:

These tweets seem a little hard to understand without Solomon's context

Turns out it wasn't Mario it was a buddy of his anyway. But Mario didn't really retract it either.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

No Safe Word posted:

Turns out it wasn't Mario

Was it Luigi?

Edit: Actually, with this new information, we can now add Mario Williams to the "Unreliable" list of sports reporters.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 18, 2012

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Febreeze posted:

Was it Luigi?

Edit: Actually, with this new information, we can now add Mario Williams to the "Unreliable" list of sports reporters.

Nope

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Wario Williams?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Febreeze posted:

Wario Williams?

Ahahaha.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

DangerKat posted:

Ahahaha.

Definitely heard this in Wario's voice

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.
I don't get how Schefter is so loved my GMs everywhere, he's been breaking every major story since the Portis/Bailey trade. Does he give everyone cocaine or something?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

I don't get how Schefter is so loved my GMs everywhere, he's been breaking every major story since the Portis/Bailey trade. Does he give everyone cocaine or something?

I don't think it's GMs, probably people in the front offices, who know about moves but don't necessarily have high access. Probably some people in the offices of agents as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he helped to trade information between teams and stuff like that.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

First of all, Schefter is reliable, and doesn't get things wrong, so why would people hate someone who usually waits till something is confirmed to report it? If it's true who cares? He doesn't rumor mill or make random poo poo up like Florio does, he's just well connected enough to get the actual truth when it happens most of the time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Febreeze posted:

First of all, Schefter is reliable, and doesn't get things wrong, so why would people hate someone who usually waits till something is confirmed to report it? If it's true who cares? He doesn't rumor mill or make random poo poo up like Florio does, he's just well connected enough to get the actual truth when it happens most of the time.

He's not insulting Schefter

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Tae posted:

He's not insulting Schefter

I didn't say he was, I was trying to say why GMs probably have no issue with Schefter. It came across kinda harsh.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Obviously I don't know Schefter or anything related to the truth but if I had to speculate he comes off as a pretty grounded hardworking guy who sticks to the facts and never tries to make himself the story and that is why people probably feel comfortable talking to him. He isn't going to take you out of context or bury you for his own game like Peter King (or Mike Silver sometimes) and he has a strong reputation for accuracy unlike say John Clayton. I feel like Schefter would be the guy I talked to as well. He just comes off as a nice dude who is happy and loves his job and puts in the work like no other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Round up your favorite Peyton predictions.

• Locked thread