Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I don't want to post the entire article but I made the mistake of clicking on a Florio article about where Tebow should end up. I can't stand the argument made by people when they say sports teams should sign/draft a player just because they would get people in the seats (Texans drafting Young, Jaguars drafting Tebow, etc.) since it is a short term solution and most of the time not even in the best interest of the team. Yet the first sentence...

quote:

1. The Rams.

They volunteered to play in England in part because they believe that it will make them like the Cowboys and Steelers. It won’t.

Tebow could.

Throw in the ongoing struggles to sell tickets (sellouts undoubtedly come from owner Stan Kroenke buying up the unsold seats at 34 cents on the dollar) and a possible move to Los Angeles, and Tebow makes plenty of sense wearing horns from a creature other than, you know, the devil.

Follow by

quote:

2. The Vikings.

Speaking of horns, Tebow could help maximize local interest during what could be a lame-duck season in Minnesota. The Vikings are getting no closer to getting a new stadium built. Tebowmania could be the thing that gets it done.

And I stopped reading at that point. It boggles my mind that Florio and PFT have somehow become a respected institution in the football media world. I am hoping that this is a work of satire that is over my reading comprehension levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

Sometimes I forget that FakeOmarKelly isn't real.

Also, Armando Salguero is an awful beat writer and may not actually have any insider sources, but that won't stop him from breaking stories!

"On a conference call 5 mins ago, Steve Ross was informed free agency has already begun. He screamed at Ireland for not telling him earlier."

That's it, I'm hooked. like a dolphin in a tuna net

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
"The Bills do make football sense. Coach Chan Gailey is perhaps the pro game's best at getting creative with mobile quarterbacks. He's the rare coach who would know what to do with Tebow. He could upgrade the backup position behind Ryan Fitzpatrick. Gailey could create packages for Tebow on the goal line and in short yardage, like the coach once did for Kordell Stewart."
-Gregg Rosenthal

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

"The Bills do make football sense. Coach Chan Gailey is perhaps the pro game's best at getting creative with mobile quarterbacks. He's the rare coach who would know what to do with Tebow. He could upgrade the backup position behind Ryan Fitzpatrick. Gailey could create packages for Tebow on the goal line and in short yardage, like the coach once did for Kordell Stewart."
-Gregg Rosenthal

This isn't a surprise, there was talk of the Bills being pretty locked into Cammy Cam if the Panthers didn't take him precisely because of Gailey's experience with mobile QBs.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

And I stopped reading at that point. It boggles my mind that Florio and PFT have somehow become a respected institution in the football media world. I am hoping that this is a work of satire that is over my reading comprehension levels.

He is unequivocally a bad writer. Just makes stupid mistakes constantly and shows absolutely no grasp of basic newsgathering or storytelling techniques

I'm teaching an undergrad class while I'm doing my master's and I see the same mistakes in their work that I do in his. It's totally unacceptable that he gets paid MILLIONS OF DOLLARS for absolute poo poo

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I also really like Pat Kirwin and on Sirius NFL Radio I absolutely love Ross Tucker.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hizawk posted:

I also really like Pat Kirwin and on Sirius NFL Radio I absolutely love Ross Tucker.

Kirwan's book "take your eye off the ball" is really good too.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I don't have Sirius anymore but does Shannon Sharpe still do a Friday show? That was my favorite show on the NFL channel, and not in a hipster ironic way. It was drat entertaining. It was usually Bob Papa and Shannon Sharpe.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I legit want to beat on Florio with a baseball bat:

quote:

On one hand, if the NFL at some point knew or should have known about the long-term consequences of concussions and failed to share the information with the players or to take steps aimed at protecting players, the league faces liability to former players who truly are suffering those long-term consequences, either via the court system or the procedures set forth in the Collective Bargaining Agreement. On the other hand, to the extent that former players are jumping on the barristers’ bandwagon and crying “me, too” when they have no real injuries, then they’re no different than any of the many folks who abuse the legal process for personal gain.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Kalli posted:

Mike Florio: Lawyer, football expert, professional injury diagnostician

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.

Kalli posted:

Maybe he'll quit and become the former players Class Action lawyer.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't think its necessarily being unreasonable thinking that there could be players that are claiming injury that didn't have head injuries.

But I'm pretty sure every player has had a concussion at some point. Using the highly scientific measure of how many of my friends have been concussed sled riding, I'm going with a 100% NFL concussion rate.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Look at that first loving sentence. Revel in its glory

a million clauses per second

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Sash! posted:

I don't think its necessarily being unreasonable thinking that there could be players that are claiming injury that didn't have head injuries.

Yeah, actually, it's pretty unreasonable given the number of sub-concussive impacts pretty much every player suffers in practice alone. Even if a player went his entire career without a helmet-to-helmet collision, he would have suffered dozens of helmet-to-turf collisions even if he only played the NFL-average 3 seasons.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Uh reminder for those of us smarter than Florio, the NFL would be liable to all players, not just players who suffered head injuries, if they hid concussion info. And they almost certainly did.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I just want to show this thread that this article exists:

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d828314fc?module=HP11_content_stream#photo=1

Never read anything by Adam Rank.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News

He was right about the alien WR not being able to live in this world, he was just more right and earlier about it than this ugly world could tolerate :(

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Did everybody read Peter King's fascinating musings about Steve Gleason and Gleason's film dude, the guy who released the audio of Gregg Williams calling for players to be hurt? Holy god King is the worst.

quote:

It's impossible to have a one-way, clinical view of the Gleason-Pamphilon mess. At least for me it is.

Last fall, I arranged after some negotiations to do a story for the NBC Super Bowl pregame show on Steve Gleason, the former (and heroic) New Orleans Saints special-teamer who'd been diagnosed with ALS, a fatal disease, early in 2011. I flew to New Orleans in November to begin reporting on the story. Gleason and his shadow, documentarian Sean Pamphilon, met me for lunch. Pamphilon had been working for months with Gleason and wife Michel on a project that they hoped would turn into a marketable documentary or movie about Gleason's life of dealing with this fatal disease. For Gleason, an added motivation was that his infant son, Rivers, would have footage he could always see of his father, no matter how long his life lasted.

Immediately, I could see the closeness of the two men. Pamphilon helped Gleason -- still ambulatory, but with an awkward gait -- sit and get around when help was needed. When Michel arrived at the restaurant with baby Rivers an hour into the meeting, Pamphilon stood up and took the baby carrier and in a gentlemanly way cleared a place for Michel to sit. For a while he held the baby and cooed to him. And for the next couple of months, whenever I was around the Gleasons and Michel's tightly knit New Orleans family, Pamphilon was a combination of videographer and mother hen. I thought he was as close to the Gleason family as anyone could be without being in the family.

Which is why I can think of only one word to describe the disagreement and gulf between Pamphilon and Gleason this morning: sad.

Gleason has remained close to the Saints since his diagnosis. Very close. Sean Payton has given him the run of the football building; if Gleason ever needs treatment or help with rehab, he can use the Saints' training facilities. Last fall, the Saints surprised Gleason, who last played for the team in Payton's first year as coach, 2006, with a Super Bowl ring, even though he didn't play on the 2009 Super Bowl-winning team. The owner of the team, Tom Benson, thinks so much of Gleason that he commissioned a bronze statue of Gleason blocking a punt in the first post-Katrina game in 2006 for the outside of the Superdome.

Payton invited Gleason to make the trip to the Saints' playoff game in San Francisco in January. The night before the game, Gleason was invited into the defensive team meeting room, and his shadow, Pamphilon, went with him. That's when defensive coordinator Gregg Williams made his infamous speech directing the Saints to go after various players on the 49ers in graphic and disturbing ways -- the exclamation point on what the NFL believes has been a three-year practice of bounties on opposing players and off-the-books financial rewards for starry defensive plays.

A few things here are very clear.

1. Pamphilon was disturbed by what he heard in the meeting.

2. Pamphilon would never have been in the meeting if he wasn't a trusted friend of Gleason.

3. Pamphilon tried to convince Gleason to allow him to use the audio damning Williams. Gleason, who never played for Williams, didn't like what he heard in the meeting either, but he didn't want the audio released. Obviously, if what they heard in the meeting was going to be made public by Gleason or Pamphilon, the Saints would never have let either in the room.

Gleason knew if the tape came out, he'd spend much of whatever cogent energy he has left on something he never intended to fight -- the rantings of a renegade coach -- instead of focusing on what his aim is: trying to make ALS patients live more productive lives.

Pamphilon betrayed the wishes of a dying man and a former very close friend by releasing the tape; that much we know. But the interesting thing in this story is that the public seems conflicted much more than I thought would be the case. The majority who have responded to me on Twitter (I'd say 60 percent) have said Williams' words were so reprehensible that they, in essence, gave Pamphilon sufficient reason to break his relationship with Gleason and release the audio to the public. He's being seen as a whistleblower the public should applaud, not condemn.

By blowing the whistle, though, what has Pamphilon accomplished? He has shone a light on a dark story. He has earned a seat at what I expect will be a Congressional hearing on the bounty scandal. But Williams already had been suspended indefinitely by commissioner Roger Goodell. Williams already had said he would not appeal the suspension. The release of the audio didn't affect the league's probe, except perhaps to slam the door shut on any chance Payton -- an innocent in Pamphilon's eyes -- had to get his appeal reduced. I got the distinct impression sniffing around the probe Friday that the audio corroborated the league's investigation but did not advance the story.

Now as to the legality of it. Pamphilon, through Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports, said he did not violate the agreement he had with Gleason when releasing the audio, and Silver wrote the contract does not "specifically prohibit either party from posting footage ... prior to completion of the film.'' I have not seen the contract, but a source with knowledge of the relationship between Gleason and Pamphilon said it was never contemplated anything regarding the film would be released without both sides agreeing.

The mere discussion of what's legally right is what turns my stomach the most. I told you how close these two men were. This is one of those cases where what's legally right shouldn't matter. What's morally right should. What's morally right is that Pamphilon, who never would have heard what Williams said without being attached to Gleason, shouldn't have released the tape without Gleason's permission.

I'm tremendously conflicted on this story. I've thought about it for three days straight, trying to divine what's right and wrong. I enrolled in college to study journalism in 1975, one year after the Watergate burglary and coverup forced Richard Nixon to resign the presidency. I'm all for the public's right to know. And in the end, I'm tempted to say the more clarity about this story the better, just so the public understands why Goodell acted with such an iron hand. But I can't get over the way the material was acquired and made public. It's just not right.

I cannot find it in my heart to quite call Pamphilon a rat, but I cannot call him a hero either.
No? Well I can call you a poo poo head.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

quote:

The mere discussion of what's legally right is what turns my stomach the most. I told you how close these two men were. This is one of those cases where what's legally right shouldn't matter. What's morally right should. What's morally right is that Pamphilon, who never would have heard what Williams said without being attached to Gleason, shouldn't have released the tape without Gleason's permission.

what

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
teachers own the things students learn and the way students use what they learn ok thanks pete

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
REPORTERS If a source mentions a murder but he maybe wouldn't want you to tell anyone about it...... you know what to do.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

In this case I'll defend King...to a point. Gleason was put in a horrible spot by Pamphilon's release of the tape, and it's worth mentioning that he's ensnared in this scandal purely by random connection, endangering his relationship with the team and fanbase when he is relying on their goodwill for fundraising for ALS research.

But- and if King was any kind of reporter he'd go to this- reporters aren't supposed to worry about the feelings that might get hurt when they report something they discover. They're supposed to worry about the public harm if they keep silent versus the public benefit if they do their loving job.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

quote:

Gleason knew if the tape came out, he'd spend much of whatever cogent energy he has left on something he never intended to fight -- the rantings of a renegade coach -- instead of focusing on what his aim is: trying to make ALS patients live more productive lives.

Your bias is showing, author!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
As a former reporter, I am having trouble understanding what King's point is supposed to be. Reporters serve the public, not their sources. There was nothing surreptitious, illegal, or unethical about a documentary filmmaker releasing footage of statements made in his presence. I also get a kick out of how he passes judgment on a contract he admits he's never seen. What a dolt.

midwat
May 6, 2007

AKMoose posted:

As a former reporter, I am having trouble understanding what King's point is supposed to be. Reporters serve the public, not their sources. There was nothing surreptitious, illegal, or unethical about a documentary filmmaker releasing footage of statements made in his presence. I also get a kick out of how he passes judgment on a contract he admits he's never seen. What a dolt.

Peter King doesn't make points. He tells long, ambling stories about how in bed he is with the league.

In fact, you could view this as the NFL response to the situation: mad about the uncontrolled release of information, but happy that Goodell has another excuse to punish people.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

GD_American posted:

In this case I'll defend King...to a point. Gleason was put in a horrible spot by Pamphilon's release of the tape,

I agree with you to a point, as well. But Gleason was put in that horrible spot not by Pamphilon's release of the tape, but by the fact that Gleason heard those pro-injury comments and did nothing. Just like everyone else. I don't understand how the documentarian gets the attention and Gleason--and tons of other people--skate off without any scrutiny.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Rap posted:

I agree with you to a point, as well. But Gleason was put in that horrible spot not by Pamphilon's release of the tape, but by the fact that Gleason heard those pro-injury comments and did nothing. Just like everyone else. I don't understand how the documentarian gets the attention and Gleason--and tons of other people--skate off without any scrutiny.

Because he's handicapped. Anybody that tries to put any of this on him is going to get vilified for trying to throw a disabled person under the bus. Which is bullshit but there you go.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Rap posted:

Gleason's cause was ALS, his legacy was his Saints career. Are you really blaming him for not being a crusader against the bounty program?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
It just shocks me that a reporter/journalist has some obligation, or might, when he hears Gregg Williams call out opponents' ACLs. But with other outside parties, it's not even brought up that they could maybe do something about it.

I mean you have the utter retards like Warren Sapp trying to ID "the mole" or whatever as if it's a bad thing. That's about the only attention that gets paid to the fact that dozens of people heard the injury talk and didn't do anything about it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rap posted:

Gleason is campaigning to raise awareness of a disease, should he really risk his reputation just to save a few pussies some mild concussions? Gleason shouldn't have to put his work in jeopardy just to keep a few people from being dinged up in a contact sport.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chichevache posted:

Gleason is campaigning to raise awareness of a disease, should he really risk his reputation just to save a few pussies some mild concussions? Gleason shouldn't have to put his work in jeopardy just to keep a few people from being dinged up in a contact sport.

I would think not reporting it would do more damage, at least if found out. Unless you are just being sarcastic.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Chichevache posted:

Uh yes he should, can't really tell if you're kidding with the minimizing injuries thing but that's actually pretty important. Also everyone who isn't Warren Sapp would admire him for coming forward, it wouldn't be risking his reputation. Also no offense to Gleason but if I can't name the disease he's so drat focused on raising awareness for, maybe he is not very good at that

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

e-nm bit on an incredibly obvious troll

GD_American fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 15, 2012

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Incredible Ed posted:

Never trust anything in the Chicago Sun-Times, their Bears reporting is terrible. I wish their entire sports department had been thrown in jail with Conrad Black.

They're counterbalanced by the Tribune's team, which is pretty solid. Dan Pompei is a bit of a horse's rear end, but Vaughn McClure and Brad Biggs are usually spot-on with their reports.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

GD_American posted:

e-nm bit on an incredibly obvious troll

drat. I really wish I'd gotten to read this.

I wasn't necessarily trolling, just being sarcastic. Gleason absolutely shouldn't be covering up for Williams.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

load up the dick eating machine, because here is some peter king!

quote:

"I ain't going to say I was sad because the only thing they remember is that pass. You gotta go back and look at the rest of the games. I wasn't getting no balls, and you had to make some of these plays where some players were open and he is not making the throws. But I don't want to talk bad about Tim, but hey, I am happy we got Peyton."

-- Denver wide receiver Demaryius Thomas to WQXI in Atlanta, via sportsradiointerviews.com, talking about the loss of Tim Tebow and the addition of Peyton Manning.

I don't want to talk bad about Tim? Imagine what Thomas would say if he wanted to be really critical of Tebow.

Interesting that the pass to which Thomas refers is so easily wiped away, minimized, forgotten, whatever. There are Hall of Fame receivers who don't have the kind of electric, scintillating, once-in-a-career moment Thomas had when he caught an 80-yard touchdown pass from Tebow on the first play of overtime to beat Super Bowl contender Pittsburgh in the playoffs in January.

Demaryius, the day you retire, ESPN will replay that 80-yard touchdown pass five times. You'll have to have an incredible career for any play you ever make to eclipse that forgettable, meaningless touchdown that made the earth shake on the field in Denver that day.

In other words, a little gratitude toward the departed thrower of that biggest reception of your NFL career might be nice.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/04/16/countdown/index.html#ixzz1sDJsa400

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Reminder that Peter King thinks he is great. And that he's going to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

He also found a way to spend a page on bill belichick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
He thinks he's documenting a unique, creative mind and entering a page into football's storied history. He thinks he is greater than the Sabol family and is the leading football journalist of our times. This is how Peter King sees himself

• Locked thread