Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

Merril Hodge had his career ended and nearly died because of concussions (which he later successfully sued the poo poo out of the Bears for mishandling), and he somehow still got all self-righteous about the Kurt Warner thing.

I remember, like, 20 years ago us moron kids joking about how Hoge was one more head injury away from dying on the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustySeabutter
Nov 11, 2000

Puncho!

Chichevache posted:

Blue Moon is poo poo and any beer brewed by Coors should be on your "do not drink" list.

high-fiven the poo poo outta dis post

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Sash! posted:

I remember, like, 20 years ago us moron kids joking about how Hoge was one more head injury away from dying on the field.
He tried to do play-by-play stuff but he couldn't keep up with the action on the field and would say words wrong constantly. Oh, and he would mislabel players on a ton of plays.

Brain injuries are a terrible thing and gently caress Peter king for not standing up for former players. gently caress that fat rear end in a top hat

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

AdamD posted:

high-fiven the poo poo outta dis post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Fin_du_Monde_(beer)

Beer talk is better than BBQ talk and I won't hear any disagreement.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

All the chambly beers own, I didn't know you could get them outside Quebec/eastern Ontario

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Blackula69 posted:

All the chambly beers own, I didn't know you could get them outside Quebec/eastern Ontario

My mother found that one at a Trader Joe's down in SoCal. Hopefully they have it at the Bay Area ones, because that just became one of my favorite beers.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

MourningView posted:

Merril Hoge had his career ended and nearly died because of concussions (which he later successfully sued the poo poo out of the Bears for mishandling), and he somehow still got all self-righteous about the Kurt Warner thing.

This is like Hoge saying cancer isn't a big deal because real men can punch lymphoma in the throat.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

Chichevache posted:

Wheat beers are gross. Drink IPAs/grow hair on your rear end. I am a nerd/jerk.

To their credit ESPN has been attempting to handle this as neutrally as they possibly can. It's just that their pundits are still speaking from the bully pulpit that is the nfl. It's but they are giving the other side some air time.

How is NFL Network on the issue? I usually find their reporting better on the while but I'm not sure how they'd handle this.

Also, my opinion is invalid because I watch First Take and it's amazing.

fan of the browns fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 11, 2012

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
All beer owns in its own way and beer snobbery is dumb is heck, just drink what you like and never lecture someone else about the beer they drink because it makes you look like a jerk and a nerd. There all beer arguments over.

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.

Chichevache posted:

They have it in bomber bottles at my Kroger :smugdog::hf::smaug:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MourningView posted:

All beer owns in its own way and beer snobbery is dumb is heck, just drink what you like and never lecture someone else about the beer they drink because it makes you look like a jerk and a nerd. There all beer arguments over.

PBR fan spotted.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Blackula69 posted:

He tried to do play-by-play stuff but he couldn't keep up with the action on the field and would say words wrong constantly. Oh, and he would mislabel players on a ton of plays.

Brain injuries are a terrible thing and gently caress Peter king for not standing up for former players. gently caress that fat rear end in a top hat

Hoge is the one that had to relearn how to read, right?

And PK goes with the company line because it gives him access. Why he needs access to say nothing at all is beyond me.

RustySeabutter
Nov 11, 2000

Puncho!

MourningView posted:

what if you think peeps shouldnt give money to coors because its an awful company :qfg:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
oh good beer chat that's always fun and interesting and not PYF-lite (which is pretty freaking hard to do) peep this cat he's me

midwat
May 6, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

And PK goes with the company line because it gives him access. Why he needs access to say nothing at all is beyond me.

It's because PK has reached that wonderful level known as "media personality."

He's well-known enough that he no longer has to do much, just speculate and talk to his friends. He writes in favor of the status quo because The Rog and company are his friends.

He's like a living cautionary tale for reporters who get access.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
A solid salary covering a sport you love. I bet he's just tossing and turning at nights.

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008
Considering the amount of ink he wastes writing about the gallons of lovely coffee he drinks, its a miracle Peter King sleeps at all

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Chichevache posted:

I'm late to this but yeah Trader Joes and QFC carry this beer. It is a gift to myself every once and awhile.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I really appreciate TFF and twitter!. I remember 5 years ago reading the Peter King column (all 9 goddamn pages of it) sorting through tales of coffee escapades, white people/first world problems (more like 1%er problems), travel notes, and god knows what else to find a piece of information or two. Now I can just click TFF and get everything I need plus a Big Bob post to make me laugh my rear end off.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ribsauce posted:

I really appreciate TFF and twitter!. I remember 5 years ago reading the Peter King column (all 9 goddamn pages of it) sorting through tales of coffee escapades, white people/first world problems (more like 1%er problems), travel notes, and god knows what else to find a piece of information or two. Now I can just click TFF and get everything I need plus a Big Bob post to make me laugh my rear end off.

This is what makes going elsewhere so weird for me, because when I first got into watching football I used TFF as my guide (still do, I guess.) Being that this is the only football forum I really know, going elsewhere is a headache wrapped in a migraine dipped in poo poo.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Deadspin had an article up today about calculating readability of our "favorite" sports reporters.

That's a thing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Deadspin had an article up today about calculating readability of our "favorite" sports reporters.

That's a thing.

Deadspin should really score a 0.0 by every single readability metric.

EDIT: And incidentally Flesch-Kinkaid is a bullshit metric.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 24, 2012

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Pretty much why I didn't opine on it- FK is periodically used in my field and I fight the urge to make a jerk-off motion with my hand every time I hear about it.

As much as the writers suck, the article is funny because it's basically a horseshit latte of confirmation bias, something often decried by critics of terrible sports journalists.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Deadspin should really score a 0.0 by every single readability metric.

EDIT: And incidentally Flesch-Kinkaid is a bullshit metric.

Sean Newell is the loving worst. (Not that he wrote the article, I just hate reading anything he writes for Deadspin and it seemed relevant)

Also Flesch-Kincaid seems like it measures something that's difficult to quantify ("readability") so it's not surprising to find out that it doesn't do a good job of it. :v:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Sean Newell is the loving worst. (Not that he wrote the article, I just hate reading anything he writes for Deadspin and it seemed relevant)

Also Flesch-Kincaid seems like it measures something that's difficult to quantify ("readability") so it's not surprising to find out that it doesn't do a good job of it. :v:

It's almost entirely horseshit, considering that copula deletion, implied semantic data and idiom isn't measured by the equation. Thank loving Christ I don't have to conform to a certain value at work.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...

It's almost entirely horseshit, considering that copula deletion, implied semantic data and idiom isn't measured by the equation. Thank loving Christ I don't have to conform to a certain value at work.

Dude, I know!

Actually, I don't know. I'm super dumb but it's sounds pretty neat. What exactly do you do?

Speaking of Deadspin, I used to love Drew's stuff there as silly, kitsch-y sports writing but...man, his schtick got old. Deadspin has it uses (the recent fake ESPN-scammer recently was interesting) but it's taken a nose-dive in the last...forever.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

MonsterWalk posted:

Dude, I know!

Actually, I don't know. I'm super dumb but it's sounds pretty neat. What exactly do you do?

I review electronics online for a tiny subsidiary of a major newsmedia corporation that recently upturned its stock value. I don't like crossing my SA and real-life wires, even though SA got me the job in the first place.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...

I review electronics online for a tiny subsidiary of a major newsmedia corporation that recently upturned its stock value. I don't like crossing my SA and real-life wires, even though SA got me the job in the first place.

Word.

Deadspin still sucks.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MonsterWalk posted:

Deadspin still sucks.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Deadspin is still in my 8 websites which show up when you open chrome so I click it out of habit everyday but I don't know why because it absolutely sucks.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

It is nice to know that there is an actual metric you can use to call Rick Reilly lovely though.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I don't mind Drew Magary's stuff. I actually think he deserves better than to be writing for loving Deadspin.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

I don't mind Drew Magary's stuff. I actually think he deserves better than to be writing for loving Deadspin.

He writes a lot of stuff for GQ, which is better than Deadspin, possibly because they have a highly paid editorial staff that trims the fat.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Great, consistent writing usually involve great editors - gonad and ham can maybe back me up on this. The problem with Peter king and magary's recent deadspin stuff is that neither of them are edited much, if at all.

A good editor can trim fat and help a writer focus their ideas - two things which king entirely lacks. A ton of columnists get huge heads about their own writing and can get all pissy when something is changed. I was responsible for changing the tense in a sentence in a national columnist's work and he was actively hostile to me for a week - and he wrote it wrong.

Complacency is terrible in every industry and for every professional. Peter King is the perfect example, as is the difference between drew's web stuff and his GQ pieces. Just because you have a clear, defined voice doesn't mean you don't need a swift kick in the rear end every so often

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Blackula69 posted:

Great, consistent writing usually involve great editors - gonad and ham can maybe back me up on this. The problem with Peter king and magary's recent deadspin stuff is that neither of them are edited much, if at all.

A good editor can trim fat and help a writer focus their ideas - two things which king entirely lacks. A ton of columnists get huge heads about their own writing and can get all pissy when something is changed. I was responsible for changing the tense in a sentence in a national columnist's work and he was actively hostile to me for a week - and he wrote it wrong.

Complacency is terrible in every industry and for every professional. Peter King is the perfect example, as is the difference between drew's web stuff and his GQ pieces. Just because you have a clear, defined voice doesn't mean you don't need a swift kick in the rear end every so often

Yep the lack of an editor in King's writing is number one among its many flaws. The funny thing is, if he got a good, assertive one, they'd have so many fights over his first column or two that he'd throw a fit and go write for somebody else.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

But how do you tell the greatest sportswriter ever that hes wrong?

How do you shoot the devil in the back?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

/\/\/\Pull out, then spray.

Blackula69 posted:

Pretty much, although to add on that: Much of the Gawker Media looks to me like there are a lot of writers/interns/whatever and very few editors, because sometimes the dumbest loving stories (and flat-out wrong ones) get published. In journalism and many other industries, staffing is the #1 expense related to content or "product", and Gawker seems to mitigate this huge expense by reducing oversight.

Compare that to Al-Jazeera, which has utterly insane oversight and fact checking, and you'll see the difference in the level of reporting that is produced.

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!

Compare that to Al-Jazeera, which has utterly insane oversight and fact checking, and you'll see the difference in the level of reporting that is produced.

Does Al-Jazeera report on football? I mean, they have articles on something called football, but I think it's mistranslated.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

They just started not one but two sports channels!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/02/deangelo-hall-thinks-hes-the-next-charles-woodson/

quote:

DeAngelo Hall thinks he’s the next Charles Woodson

What DeAngelo Hall says

quote:

“[Woodson] got defensive player of the year [covering slot receivers], so hopefully I can get that same kind of buzz and excitement out there, making plays,” Hall suggested. “I’m definitely relishing the opportunity to get in there. It’s hard, it’s different, but I’m down. It’s a lot more space. …

“It definitely is a little bit different, but it’s part of the evolution.”

I tried to get the link to the Washington Post to work but it won't open for me.

• Locked thread