Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

Sash! posted:

I largely edit things written by engineers, who at least have the excuse of being colossal aspies that didn't have to learn how to write in the first place.

How often do you hear "I don't need to know how to write, I'm an engineer"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

^^ Amusingly, I used to make decent cash proof reading essays for humanities courses from the ones that wanted to keep their GPA's up.

Here's another secret: Those of us that can write coherently will still often obfuscate it to avoid being called or dragged into meetings.

Personally I prefer to update reports with >100 word sentences.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I just wish a third of professional writers were any loving good at it. Especially people like King and Florio, who have the contacts to write amazing stuff every week.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Oodles of Wootles posted:

Thankfully, there are two people between the engineers and me. I look at the sentence and think "nope, not publishing this. Rewrite it." I send that back to my person, who moves it on to the proper person in, oh, Astrophysics. That guy hands it back to the engineer. He's probably the guy that then gets to hear it.

The thing that baffles me is that hockey seems to have better writers. Baseball is all smug jackasses, but football is smug morons.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Rap posted:

I love copy editing with all my little shriveled awful hosed heart

Do you just laugh maniacally the entire time?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I think I'm really really good at it. Which means yes, even when reading newspaper copy, i laugh and laugh bc there are lots of errors. I also know rules better than me posts might indicate for instance one is No cat pictures in the text!!

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

uhh, sorry, proffessor, but the rule is *always* cat pictures in the text

midwat
May 6, 2007

Rap posted:

I just wish a third of professional writers were any loving good at it. Especially people like King and Florio, who have the contacts to write amazing stuff every week.

How many editors do you think PK has driven to suicide?

Language butchery, King excels at you.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Copy editing is tons of fun, I know all the symbols and I have a green pen for being nice and a red pen for putting the fear of God into writers

please hire me, somebody

Also the thing to keep in mind is that the average football writer is writing for a pretty broad audience who typically won't notice common grammatical and syntactic errors; also Peter King has no editor and cranks out MMQB in 12 hours on a train, this is literally the process that I use to write college papers I don't want to do

E: Also, seeing Favre watching Lard Lad on a television screen is still magical

midwat
May 6, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Copy editing is tons of fun, I know all the symbols and I have a green pen for being nice and a red pen for putting the fear of God into writers

please hire me, somebody

I'm in the same boat, man.

Declan MacManus posted:

Also the thing to keep in mind is that the average football writer is writing for a pretty broad audience who typically won't notice common grammatical and syntactic errors; also Peter King has no editor and cranks out MMQB in 12 hours on a train, this is literally the process that I use to write college papers I don't want to do

E: Also, seeing Favre watching Lard Lad on a television screen is still magical

If reporters reporting on reporters were a corporeal being, I'd drive a stake through its heart.

I'd do the time happily, knowing no one ever has to see something like Mary Carillo fawning over Peter King again.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Oodles of Wootles posted:

I have a friend who is an engineer, he calls me about once a month and has me write out his research notes into an actual coherent document, which he then turns in to his boss for a stupid pay raise.

Last time I asked him for a little pocket cash for doing it, he told me all the payment I needed was in finding an actual use for that Journalism degree.

My friend is a douche bag. And apparently gives credit to engineers not understanding how to write.

Hawzy
Dec 13, 2002

Statler posted:

I have a friend who is an engineer, he calls me about once a month and has me write out his research notes into an actual coherent document, which he then turns in to his boss for a stupid pay raise.

Last time I asked him for a little pocket cash for doing it, he told me all the payment I needed was in finding an actual use for that Journalism degree.

My friend is a douche bag. And apparently gives credit to engineers not understanding how to write.

I need more doormat friends like you.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

If you don't value your time, no one else will either

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Declan MacManus posted:

If you don't value your time, no one else will either

*finally quits two-hour Friday evening session of a computer game thats like 5 years old* How True.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Rap posted:

Well Florio has flat out owned his site since day one, so nobody's gonna edit him. Peter King has Too Big To Edit syndrome; plenty of authors develop it when they make it big (compare the size and pace of an early Stephen King book with a recent one, JK Rowling is another one).

Really, I've made the complaint before about the difference in editorial belief between SI and ESPN. SI didn't seem to understand the internet much, and let their star writers go hog wild with lifestyle blogs. That's why King and Zimmerman (who I would take back in a heartbeat, warts and all :( ) were allowed to fill columns with Flaming Redhead and Coffee Chat, while at ESPN guys like Mortensen and Pasquarelli were writing actual sports-related columns. ESPN saw their online site as just another extension of their brand, and required their reporters to act like reporters; that's why they created Page 2: to specifically have a place for more lifestyle and out-there pieces on sports.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I went looking for an example of one of the awful sentences I wanted a rewrite on, but was denied.

Instead I found a thing that:

1) I designed
2) I wrote
3) I proofread, twice
4) I checked off on
5) I missed two capitalizations

Good job me!

still got a bonus out of it

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

GD_American posted:

Well Florio has flat out owned his site since day one, so nobody's gonna edit him. Peter King has Too Big To Edit syndrome; plenty of authors develop it when they make it big (compare the size and pace of an early Stephen King book with a recent one, JK Rowling is another one).

Really, I've made the complaint before about the difference in editorial belief between SI and ESPN. SI didn't seem to understand the internet much, and let their star writers go hog wild with lifestyle blogs. That's why King and Zimmerman (who I would take back in a heartbeat, warts and all :( ) were allowed to fill columns with Flaming Redhead and Coffee Chat, while at ESPN guys like Mortensen and Pasquarelli were writing actual sports-related columns. ESPN saw their online site as just another extension of their brand, and required their reporters to act like reporters; that's why they created Page 2: to specifically have a place for more lifestyle and out-there pieces on sports.
Yeah absolutely, there's a very different understanding of what the internet can do for each outlet. SI is basically a newspaper stuck in 1998.

Sash! posted:

I went looking for an example of one of the awful sentences I wanted a rewrite on, but was denied.

Instead I found a thing that:

1) I designed
2) I wrote
3) I proofread, twice
4) I checked off on
5) I missed two capitalizations

Good job me!

still got a bonus out of it
yep that sounds right, if you're the only set of eyes. no matter how good you are. and I hate to admit that

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Sash! posted:

I'm an editor (among other things) by trade.

I largely edit things written by engineers, who at least have the excuse of being colossal aspies that didn't have to learn how to write in the first place.

Oh. Oh god. I'm so sorry. Speaking as an engineer who was the only person in our entire department to have something even so basic as Strunk and White in his bookshelf (let alone anything more comprehensive or recent), I'm so, so very sorry. After years of trying to grade undergraduate engineers' attempts at writing everything from paragraph-length short answers to five page reports, the idea of doing it as a career kind of makes me want to start projectile vomiting. Instead I just get to do the majority of proposal writing for my company now that my boss has learned that I can tell my rear end from a passive voice verb. :unsmith: Anyone who has to edit engineer writing for a living deserves a free drink at the bar every Friday, to commemorate the end of another week of that.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
It gets even more depressing when you see things produced by actual, money-making authors whose job is supposedly to take ideas and put them into coherent plots and comprehensible English language; then their results could have been easily fixed by one English grad saying "wait these two parts don't connect, this attempt to whittle down characters is too transparent, the motivation for this character has many contradictory reveals".

Yeah, guess which movie I just saw last night.

I understand that sites like Florio don't lend themselves to editors, but the very obvious lack of influence that editors have at more traditional places like SI is depressing.

GD_American fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 9, 2012

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
There's no excuse for not having editors, though - I worked at a wire service where speed = money in the most direct sense and we just had really good, really fast editors.

Florio pisses me off so much because he's a bad reporter and a bad writer. Peter King has the tools to be great at both - his problem is self-indulgence, not talent. Florio is just sort of a not-very-bright guy who lucked into a prominent position. Terry Bradshaw Expressway indeed

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Also my girlfriend is a bilingual editor/proofreader for the main publication of the canadian government. So she writes, translates, and edits stuff in both official languages, much of which was written by random public servants with a) no writing training whatsoever b) little skill in their second language and c) a vested interest in obfuscating the real meaning of the law/regulation/proposal.

I do not envy her job.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blackula69 posted:

Also my girlfriend is a bilingual editor/proofreader for the main publication of the canadian government. So she writes, translates, and edits stuff in both official languages, much of which was written by random public servants with a) no writing training whatsoever b) little skill in their second language and c) a vested interest in obfuscating the real meaning of the law/regulation/proposal.

I do not envy her job.

Does it gently caress up her grammar when she's speaking socially? Because I spent a while studying Spanish and I keep having to fight the urge to drop Spanish words into my speech patterns, which is especially annoying since I now live in a place where nobody speaks Spanish.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Blackula69 posted:

I do not envy her job.

My client is a Federal agency.

The self-importance of sportswriters is what kills me. Yeah I love football too, but you don't have a dream job as far as I'm concerned. I give zero fucks about you as a person because I care about the football. Not your jackass opinion. Which is why I don't read anyone's columns or anything.

I get to write about space which is more fun to me than turning a diversion and escapist fantasy into work.

I've been incredibly self-aware of my grammar in these posts, but...gently caress it I'm off the clock.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Blackula69 posted:

There's no excuse for not having editors, though - I worked at a wire service where speed = money in the most direct sense and we just had really good, really fast editors.

Florio pisses me off so much because he's a bad reporter and a bad writer. Peter King has the tools to be great at both - his problem is self-indulgence, not talent. Florio is just sort of a not-very-bright guy who lucked into a prominent position. Terry Bradshaw Expressway indeed

King also has no real inclination/incentive to rock the boat at all. The status quo with the league (i.e. Goodell being god-king) has made him fat and happy, so there's no reason to challenge it.

I'm not saying he should suddenly become an anarchist or anything, but he is very much the mouthpiece of the league office (and NBC! Isn't the Nard-dog funny? Watch our Thursday comedy lineup!).

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

midwat posted:

King also has no real inclination/incentive to rock the boat at all. The status quo with the league (i.e. Goodell being god-king) has made him fat and happy, so there's no reason to challenge it.

I'm not saying he should suddenly become an anarchist or anything, but he is very much the mouthpiece of the league office (and NBC! Isn't the Nard-dog funny? Watch our Thursday comedy lineup!).

You know what else has made him fat and happy? Lots of cream infused coffee drinks

I'm not sure who the antithesis of King would be. I can only remember beat writers by name if they're being self-important douches.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

You know what else has made him fat and happy? Lots of cream infused coffee drinks

It's not often you can purchase a man's undying loyalty for a triple grande whole milk hazelnut latte.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Writing Owns.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rap posted:

Writing Owns.

no it dusnt u dooshebag

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Writing owns, commenters suck.

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Writing owns, commenters suck.

My stuff gets into the newspaper every once in a while, and the comments on AJC.com made me want to quit forever.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Former panthers beat writer darin Gantt just took a job with PFT. he's typically pretty good, though he does have a couple of :rolleyes: opinions. (tony romo is jake delhomme without playoff wins, etc )

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

/\/\/\ I've heard worse, but that is a little :psyduck:

The Incredible Ed posted:

My stuff gets into the newspaper every once in a while, and the comments on AJC.com made me want to quit forever.

My favorite commenters are the ones who rail against scientific fact, and use that to "prove" you wrong.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

/\/\/\ I've heard worse, but that is a little :psyduck:

My favorite commenters are the ones who rail against scientific fact, and use that to "prove" you wrong.

I like the ones who are anti-science then say something and back it up by going "jst my opinion BUT ALSO A FACT"

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Frot Lesnar posted:

I like the ones who are anti-science then say something and back it up by going "jst my opinion BUT ALSO A FACT"

I often dream of publishing an article entitled "Logic for losers" that covers why their comments are useless and they are dumb.

But then I wake up.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Blackula69 posted:

Florio is basically the Star Jones of the sports world.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I want to reach through the internet and nutpunch anyone that puts "just a thought" at the end of their comment.

OF COURSE ITS JUST A THOUGHT.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Sash! posted:

I want to reach through the internet and nutpunch anyone that puts "just a thought" at the end of their comment.

quote:

...JUST A THOUGHT.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I refuse to nutpunch myself.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
Miami beat writers: All shitheads.

quote:

Omar Kelly ‏@OmarKelly

The bad thing about aggregator's like @evansilva is they don't know they aren't real journalists.

This was out of the blue on Kelly's twitter yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx
I know, Evan Silva really needs to learn how to plagiarize posts off fan forums and hand them in as his columns. This industry has standards, god dammit.

EDIT:
Double points for a real journalist not knowing the difference between plural and possessive.

• Locked thread