Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Despite reporting in a field completely unrelated to football, I get to do a bunch of pieces on fantasy this year for a major newspaper :dance:

defiantgiant posted:

EDIT:
Double points for a real journalist not knowing the difference between plural and possessive.

Every time I see this my eyes immediately glaze over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
To be fair to Omar (and that really disgusts me to say), Evan Silvia has been making jabs all week at Omar and his newspaper, saying he has an agenda to push certain players. That makes no sense to me.

And Evan Silvia does not know possession/plural. Look at his twitter. It burns my brain HE GETS PAID TO WRITE

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
The suggestion that there's something wrong with Evan Silva or aggregators is laughable. If he pays any attention at all, Silva knows more than Kelly about the depth charts and decisions of 30 or 31 teams in the league. That make's him mor'e qualifi'ed as a journal'is't tha'n you, Kel'l'y'

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rap posted:

The suggestion that there's something wrong with Evan Silva or aggregators is laughable. If he pays any attention at all, Silva knows more than Kelly about the depth charts and decisions of 30 or 31 teams in the league. That make's him mor'e qualifi'ed as a journal'is't tha'n you, Kel'l'y'

You are a more qualified journalist than Omar Kelly.

I am a more qualified journalist than Omar Kelly.

RG3 is a more qualified journalist than Omar Kelly.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Despite reporting in a field completely unrelated to football, I get to do a bunch of pieces on fantasy this year for a major newspaper :dance:

Every time I see this my eyes immediately glaze over.

It happen's all the time on these guy's twitter's, its so frustrating

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Darren Rovell is leaving CNBC for ESPN. Hopefully he'll have more opportunities to put down supermodels there.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Its Miller Time posted:

Darren Rovell is leaving CNBC for ESPN. Hopefully he'll have more opportunities to put down supermodels there.

ESPN: edging ever closer to the douchebag singularity.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Crazy685 posted:

To be fair to Omar (and that really disgusts me to say), Evan Silvia has been making jabs all week at Omar and his newspaper, saying he has an agenda to push certain players. That makes no sense to me.

And Evan Silvia does not know possession/plural. Look at his twitter. It burns my brain HE GETS PAID TO WRITE

The thing is with Kelly, and a lot of hack writers is they pick a plausible long position and then beat it into the ground and turn around and make a big deal of it when/if it's correct for an audience that largely doesn't know better.

The problem is with Kelly doing it is that he's got no idea what he's talking about, but he'll beat you over the head with it anyway. He's spent all off-season talking about how the Dolphins need a pulling guard like he just figured out what that means without realizing that it's almost certainly going to be all zone blocking with little to no pulling.

Or the time he basically invested 3-gap defensive line assignments which was great.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

midwat posted:

Well they do have Craig James and he is the Great Douchebag Attractor.

That link is for you Sash!.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

http://www.cnbc.com/id/48048236

His references to hot girls are creepy as gently caress.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
The creepiest thing Darren Rovell ever did was beg a Playboy playmate for a picture and she wouldn't take one with him and he begged saying "not even for 100k twitter followers..."

Then he laid out a series of tweets trashing the playboy party for not having hot enough models for his liking. Or maybe it was him seriously hitting on Kate Upton on live television in a 100% old creeper manner then playing it off when she shot him down, even looking at the camera and telling his wife not to worry he still loved her. Or maybe it was his 3 page article about how Kate Upton had it and you could tell he was beating off while typing it.

Wait no, it was making his daughter a twitter account the very second she was born.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Statler posted:

I have a friend who is an engineer, he calls me about once a month and has me write out his research notes into an actual coherent document, which he then turns in to his boss for a stupid pay raise.

Last time I asked him for a little pocket cash for doing it, he told me all the payment I needed was in finding an actual use for that Journalism degree.

My friend is a douche bag. And apparently gives credit to engineers not understanding how to write.

It's pronounced "Piss off."

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

midwat posted:

One of Google's autocomplete results for "Darren Rovell" is actually "douche."

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2012-articles/july/it-was-a-rough-night-for-chris-broussard-and-his-sources.html

AA has been beating the drum about ESPN being douchebags about sourcing and proper credit. This guy walked himself right into the buzzsaw.

Nately
Oct 1, 2002

The age demanded an image / Of its accelerated grimace
Can't believe a national reporter would quote a press release and say "X player told me..." I mean, that's just lying, plain and simple.

I used to work at a two-bit community newspaper with a circulation of about 1,000 and a guy who worked there drat near got fired for doing that. The standards are so high in the newsroom I work in now (circulation 110,000) that I can't imagine anyone would even try to do that.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Tony Grossi and the Twitter Oopsie
A lesson in ESPN-style ethics
by ham

This is Tony Grossi:

Hey, Tony! Tony was the Browns beat reporter for the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Cleveland's only daily paper, for about 25 years. The best info I can find says "since 1984," but doesn't say what publication(s) he wrote for during that time. He definitely wrote for the PD for over 10 years.

Until this:

quote:

Report: Accidental tweet gets Grossi removed from Browns beat

Last week, long-time Browns beat writer Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer inadvertently posted an unflattering message about Browns owner Randy Lerner on Twitter.

“He is a pathetic figure, the most irrelevant billionaire in the world,” Grossi said. The tweet was later deleted.
Grossi, like ol' Anthony Wiener, thought he was sending a DM. How people are so lovely at Twitter astounds me, but there you go.

That was in January, roughly the 24th. By Jan. 26:

quote:

Plain Dealer confirms Browns writer has been reassigned

Cleveland Plain Dealer managing editor Thom Fladung confirms that Browns beat writer Tony Grossi has been reassigned....

Then in March:

quote:

Tony Grossi Joining WKNR After Resigning From Plain Dealer

Tony Grossi has been on the sidelines since the Plain Dealer pulled him from the Browns beat after Grossi's inadvertent tweet insulting Browns owner Randy Lerner.

He was "reassigned" in the sports department.

But he never had another byline in the paper, though he was still active on Twitter, before his resignation yesterday from the paper he had worked at for 30 years.

WKYC, Cleveland Frowns, and the News-Herald all report that Grossi was hired by WKNR as the station's Browns beat reporter. Speculation so far says he'll have a heavy web presence on the ESPN Cleveland site, but won't have his own show.

WKNR is the "ESPN Cleveland" affiliate. Grossi now posts multiple articles a day to their site.

Now I really think Grossi's a good writer and very intelligent about football. He's one of the Hall of Fame voters and I will always love him for keeping Art Modell's awful head out of the Hall of Fame.

But it really says something about ESPN's ethics that they see no problem hiring Grossi after the PD (rightly, in my opinion) put him in limbo. How exactly is he an objective and responsible reporter for the Browns? Putting your opinion of the team owner out there like that is pretty much reason to take you off the beat permanently, objectivity's a basic tenet of journalism and I don't think sports should get a pass on that. It's just disappointing that ESPN has such lower standards than traditional media.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Rap posted:

But it really says something about ESPN's ethics that they see no problem hiring Grossi after the PD (rightly, in my opinion) put him in limbo. How exactly is he an objective and responsible reporter for the Browns? Putting your opinion of the team owner out there like that is pretty much reason to take you off the beat permanently, objectivity's a basic tenet of journalism and I don't think sports should get a pass on that. It's just disappointing that ESPN has such lower standards than traditional media.

People are allowed to have personal opinions, especially about the people they cover. It wasn't even a lapse in professionalism, it was a dumb Twitter mistake. The digital equivalent of whispering something too loudly to a buddy.

I guarantee you every beat writer in the country has an un-objective opinion of the owners of the team they cover.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Once you reveal that opinion, though, you can't be considered objective any more. I mean what if a city news reporter posted on Twitter "I know, he's a loving jackass but what can we do but vote him out?" Would you still let him cover the mayor and just act like his stories were still fair?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

What if someone tweeted "that story really moved me" and then meant to DM "TO A BIGGER HOUSE" to someone but then actually tweeted that to all of his or her followers?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Well that would own.

I do realize it's natural to form opinions, but one of the problems with combination columnist/reporters is that they share opinions on something, then are expected to report on it the next day. Grossi thinks Randy Lerner sucks. So what does he think of Lerner's personal choices for the front office, like Holmgren and Heckert? If Lerner's such a bad owner he must have hired bad people, right? And it just snowballs from there. There's no way to consider Grossi objective about any of it.

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007

Rap posted:

Once you reveal that opinion, though, you can't be considered objective any more. I mean what if a city news reporter posted on Twitter "I know, he's a loving jackass but what can we do but vote him out?" Would you still let him cover the mayor and just act like his stories were still fair?

So the problem is that he failed to maintain the charade of objectivity? It's not about actually being objective, it's about others perceiving you as objective?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Isurion posted:

So the problem is that he failed to maintain the charade of objectivity? It's not about actually being objective, it's about others perceiving you as objective?

Basically, yeah. Everyone has innate biases and teams they pull for and management they do or don't like. The point is to divorce yourself from your opinions and print the facts.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Isurion posted:

Did you follow the trial of Jerry Sandusky? What does Sara Ganim think of any of the prosecutors, or either of the defense attorneys? Or the judge? or even Sandusky, or his wife or adopted son?

P.S. Objectivity is always a "charade" because there's nothing to it but doing it. You maintain objectivity, not the charade of it, by keeping your opinions to yourself and treating all sides of a story fairly.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Rap posted:

I do realize it's natural to form opinions, but one of the problems with combination columnist/reporters is that they share opinions on something, then are expected to report on it the next day. Grossi thinks Randy Lerner sucks. So what does he think of Lerner's personal choices for the front office, like Holmgren and Heckert? If Lerner's such a bad owner he must have hired bad people, right? And it just snowballs from there. There's no way to consider Grossi objective about any of it.

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal, outside of the owner being petty and cutting him off from being able to do his job. Are you saying when they ask him his opinion he's supposed to remain objective? That doesn't make any sense.

I'm sure someone who has been a reporter for 25 years can report facts and editorialize and not mix the two up. Seems more like an embarrassing gaffe and not something that would make doing your job impossible.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Marketing New Brain posted:

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal, outside of the owner being petty and cutting him off from being able to do his job. Are you saying when they ask him his opinion he's supposed to remain objective? That doesn't make any sense.

I'm sure someone who has been a reporter for 25 years can report facts and editorialize and not mix the two up. Seems more like an embarrassing gaffe and not something that would make doing your job impossible.

Good God brother did you read what I posted? The owner didn't cut him off, the Plain Dealer did. And nobody asked him his opinion, he posted it on Twitter out of nowhere, intending to send a direct message.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
What if he'd meant to talk about how Lerner is the most bestest man in the world, who spreads sunshine and unicorns to the universe? That's potentially just as unobjective but much less objectionable to say. People freely say things like that out loud on broadcast coverage and there are no repercussions, but it's the exact same thing. You would hope they could remain objective about a good man's bad decisions just like if you thought Lerner was a pile of garbage but hiring Holmgren was a great move.

Isurion
Jul 28, 2007

Rap posted:

You maintain objectivity, not the charade of it, by keeping your opinions to yourself and treating all sides of a story fairly.

This is the part I'm having trouble understanding. Why is this reporter unable to treat all sides of a story fairly since he made that tweet? He obviously held the same opinion of Lerner prior to the tweet but did anybody say he wasn't treating Lerner fairly before that? It seems like the problem is that the paper and the readers maintain a sort of fiction where the reporters don't have any actual opinions and this guy's sin was to remind people that that isn't actually true.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just really curious about this and I don't know any journalists in real life.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Isurion posted:

This is the part I'm having trouble understanding. Why is this reporter unable to treat all sides of a story fairly since he made that tweet? He obviously held the same opinion of Lerner prior to the tweet but did anybody say he wasn't treating Lerner fairly before that? It seems like the problem is that the paper and the readers maintain a sort of fiction where the reporters don't have any actual opinions and this guy's sin was to remind people that that isn't actually true.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just really curious about this and I don't know any journalists in real life.

Well, take my example. Sara Ganim covered the Sandusky scandal/trial for months. You think she doesn't have opinions on everyone involved? Of course she does. But tell me what one of them was.

And since we can't--or at least everything would be a guess, because she hasn't revealed her opinions--she has been objective. That's good reporting. She might hate Sandusky, she might pity him, she might think the prosecutors were amazing or heartless or whatever, but it clearly didn't affect the reporting she did because I don't think anyone here could find a trace of her personal opinion in her work.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
And really, not to backtrack because I'm right and brilliant and correct and a good arguer and handsome, I don't think Grossi should be banned for life from covering the Browns. But I think the PD was doing the right thing, especially in the offseason, by kind of suspending him and telling him he was reassigned. A little bit of limbo time while the editorial board talks over what to do would be a good move for them.

Then ESPN swoops in, snatches him away and puts him back on the Browns beat with no hesitation of any kind, and as far as I can see no public statement about it (including an apology from him most likely). That's really what I am objecting to

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

They saw a chance to snatch a high-quality reporter with a damaged name for cheap and took it?

I'm sure part of his hiring was a serious mention of ESPN's Twitter policy and how many eyes are on him now because of his gaffe.

Nately
Oct 1, 2002

Rap posted:

And really, not to backtrack because I'm right and brilliant and correct and a good arguer and handsome, I don't think Grossi should be banned for life from covering the Browns. But I think the PD was doing the right thing, especially in the offseason, by kind of suspending him and telling him he was reassigned. A little bit of limbo time while the editorial board talks over what to do would be a good move for them.

Then ESPN swoops in, snatches him away and puts him back on the Browns beat with no hesitation of any kind, and as far as I can see no public statement about it (including an apology from him most likely). That's really what I am objecting to

Exactly right. You can't publicly insult the people you cover and expect to stay on the beat. It was an accident, but the damage is still done.

No reporter is a super-objective automaton, but opinions are kept private so that readers can take the coverage at face value. If they (or editors) can spot bias in the coverage, then the paper can deal with it. If Grossi ever did a negative story about the owner, then readers would just assume it's because he doesn't like him rather than taking the reporting for what it is.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Yall heard that. Nately's my boy (and I'm his whore)

Nately
Oct 1, 2002

Hah, I fully endorse that reference and everything it implies.

WeWereSchizo
Mar 9, 2005

Bite my shiny metal ass!

GD_American posted:

I'm sure part of his hiring was a serious mention of ESPN's Twitter policy and how many eyes are on him now because of his gaffe.

"Tweet first, ask questions never, and always act like you have exclusive access?"

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Darrel Rovell is the only high-profile Twitter douchebag I know on ESPN, and most of that's from his CNBC time.

We can blame ESPN for many, many, many, many things, but the tight leash they keep on talent on social media is something I'd actually praise them for.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Badfinger posted:

What if he'd meant to talk about how Lerner is the most bestest man in the world, who spreads sunshine and unicorns to the universe? That's potentially just as unobjective but much less objectionable to say. People freely say things like that out loud on broadcast coverage and there are no repercussions, but it's the exact same thing. You would hope they could remain objective about a good man's bad decisions just like if you thought Lerner was a pile of garbage but hiring Holmgren was a great move.

This is just as bad. Even though he is a columnist and not a beat reporter, Sid Hartman of the Star Tribune in Minnesota blows so much sunshine about the sports teams here that any time he does try to report anything, no one puts any stock in it. He displays such little objectivity that it has destroyed his credibility.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

DangerKat posted:

This is just as bad. Even though he is a columnist and not a beat reporter, Sid Hartman of the Star Tribune in Minnesota blows so much sunshine about the sports teams here that any time he does try to report anything, no one puts any stock in it. He displays such little objectivity that it has destroyed his credibility.
Seriously, why do columnists always have to go to one extreme or the other? I had to stop reading Steve Rosenbloom's column because he makes me so angry. Even when the Bears were in the middle of a deep playoff run in 2010, he was still writing his same goddamn column every week:

1) keep beating the drum about how the Cover-2 is an awful defense that the Bears will never win with
2) insert a bunch of lovely puns
3) gripe about how Lovie doesn't look mad enough on the sidelines, or how Lovie's "delusional" because he won't trash his own players to the media
4) congratulate himself for predicting that every Bears team will suck, ignoring all the times that he was wrong and they had a good season.

Seriously, he's the love child of a stopped clock and a broken record, but he gets to keep his cushy job because they can just trot him out every time the Bears lose a game. I swear, Lovie could win a Super Bowl and Rosenbloom would still find something to whine about.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

GD_American posted:

Darrel Rovell is the only high-profile Twitter douchebag I know on ESPN, and most of that's from his CNBC time.

We can blame ESPN for many, many, many, many things, but the tight leash they keep on talent on social media is something I'd actually praise them for.

Every few months the ESPN-NY Mets beat guy Adam Rubin goes nuts on Mets ownership, but that feud predates his ESPN employment.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

DangerKat posted:

The point is that from an integrity standpoint it is just the same, but I'm sure you've heard people in the media talk about Bob Kraft, owner of the Patriots and a not-necessarily-great guy, and they still have jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I can't decide whether this thread has made me think that being a decent journalist is either really, really easy, or incredibly, out of control hard.

• Locked thread