Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Ehud posted:

He also tweets a lot about rap music, his wife, and how the writers for other Miami papers don't know what they're doing. The best thing that has come from his Twitter is a fake account called @FakeOmarKelly which is the funniest gimmick account I've ever read.

No way dude @Twitlock @TwhitlockJason is the greatest twitter account of all time.

Jaysus posted:

I'm down with Schefter.
Team Schefter for life.

edit

didn't have the greatest twitter account of all time (GTOAT) correct

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
My favorite Peter King moment ever was him bitching up a storm because someone got mad at him for talking in the Amtrak Quiet Car.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Peter the King vs Cam was so awesome. King takes him totally out of context and does so much damage to his reputation it is almost incalculable. He seriously, with one carelessly tweeted out of context quote, created a week straight of "Cam Newton is a DIVA blablabla" white folk talking heads talk and could have cost him the first pick.

Then a month later Cam doesn't want to talk to him and Peter hops up on a cross like he was jesus christ himself being crucified "oh how could he not want to talk to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, PETER KING, MEDIA MEMBER WHAAAAA"

gently caress him so much, it is a disgrace he has so much power in the NFL (hall of fame voter for life, TV, considered the number 1 reporter, 11 pages of rambling nonsense on SI every week and a prime time NFL show)

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
John Clayton first said Mario Williams had already left Buffalo even though he was at a Sabres game, then he said Mario Williams would not sign anything without visiting other teams, and now Mario Williams is a Bill. Not that Clayton being wrong is news, but there you go.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Obviously I don't know Schefter or anything related to the truth but if I had to speculate he comes off as a pretty grounded hardworking guy who sticks to the facts and never tries to make himself the story and that is why people probably feel comfortable talking to him. He isn't going to take you out of context or bury you for his own game like Peter King (or Mike Silver sometimes) and he has a strong reputation for accuracy unlike say John Clayton. I feel like Schefter would be the guy I talked to as well. He just comes off as a nice dude who is happy and loves his job and puts in the work like no other.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I don't have Sirius anymore but does Shannon Sharpe still do a Friday show? That was my favorite show on the NFL channel, and not in a hipster ironic way. It was drat entertaining. It was usually Bob Papa and Shannon Sharpe.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I really appreciate TFF and twitter!. I remember 5 years ago reading the Peter King column (all 9 goddamn pages of it) sorting through tales of coffee escapades, white people/first world problems (more like 1%er problems), travel notes, and god knows what else to find a piece of information or two. Now I can just click TFF and get everything I need plus a Big Bob post to make me laugh my rear end off.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Deadspin is still in my 8 websites which show up when you open chrome so I click it out of habit everyday but I don't know why because it absolutely sucks.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/02/deangelo-hall-thinks-hes-the-next-charles-woodson/

quote:

DeAngelo Hall thinks he’s the next Charles Woodson

What DeAngelo Hall says

quote:

“[Woodson] got defensive player of the year [covering slot receivers], so hopefully I can get that same kind of buzz and excitement out there, making plays,” Hall suggested. “I’m definitely relishing the opportunity to get in there. It’s hard, it’s different, but I’m down. It’s a lot more space. …

“It definitely is a little bit different, but it’s part of the evolution.”

I tried to get the link to the Washington Post to work but it won't open for me.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
The creepiest thing Darren Rovell ever did was beg a Playboy playmate for a picture and she wouldn't take one with him and he begged saying "not even for 100k twitter followers..."

Then he laid out a series of tweets trashing the playboy party for not having hot enough models for his liking. Or maybe it was him seriously hitting on Kate Upton on live television in a 100% old creeper manner then playing it off when she shot him down, even looking at the camera and telling his wife not to worry he still loved her. Or maybe it was his 3 page article about how Kate Upton had it and you could tell he was beating off while typing it.

Wait no, it was making his daughter a twitter account the very second she was born.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I'm not a journalist, but I think saying someone is an idiot doesn't mean you can't cover him if you have a basis for it. For example, I'm pretty sure the Browns are poorly run and that can be traced to ownership. Now, if instead of twitter the guy had wrote an article saying "Randy Lerner is an idiot, look how poorly his team is run, blablabla" and listed the avalanche of horrible things which have happened since that team started, would you be so upset about it? Because he just said it in one tweet it is a big deal?

Half the problem with journalism is blogs, sports radio, and twitter are the only places you can find a negative thing written about ownership/management these days (errr, I guess in 1950 you couldn't find negative things anywhere, I didn't read papers then).

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
This is the greatest video I have ever seen
http://deadspin.com/5960039/rick-re...sage-production

Look at Steve Young! He stares at him for 10 straight seconds and then hits him during the report. Steve Young is all of the sudden my favorite!

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
haha

Jason Whitlock
‏@WhitlockJason
Make sure I get credit for having this first: Rick Reilly hoodwinked ESPN out of $10 million and ESPN is dumb/stubborn enough to do it again

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Jason Whitlock is hard for me to figure. Most of his articles are bad, but occasionally he writes awesome stuff. Any of his anti-NCAA stuff is required reading. After his "Jason Whitlock Destorys the NCAA" Podcast I seriously quit watching college sports. His twitter feed is great as previously mentioned, but his podcast is his best work. I love it. The ones with his barber, especially the first Tebow one, were so awesome. He is one of the few media members who will go at Goodell, and even more rare he was doing it over a year ago.

That being said, I love @TwhitlockJason even more

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I hate to sound like Jason Whitlock's PR guy but he had a podcast with Richard Sandomir, who is apparently the New York Times media critic, and it was awesome. They crapped on that show with Skip Bayless and Stephen A., Whitlock told him to send a reporter to Indy to harrass the NCAA every day (I would read every word this guy wrote 20 times), and more. The highlight was when Whitlock said he though Gus Johnson and Charlie Davis were the best football crew in America and then Sandomir poo poo on them and Fox Sports college gameday show for 8 minutes straight, on a Fox Sports podcast!

http://www.foxsportsradio.com/cc-common/podcast/single_page.html?podcast=jasonwhitlock_podcast

The second part was The Big Lead guy but that part sucked.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I can't believe Rob Parker only got suspended for a month. What if someone on ESPN said Dirk wasn't really white because he had a black wife and basically called him a race traitor.*

*I stole this point from someone on twitter.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I laughed my rear end off when I read about this Peter King site. They can't possibly think he can pull off what Bill Simmons did. I know it says football only, but they have to have higher aspirations.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Speaking of Florio and comments, he just got owned by the commentators here. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/05/browns-defend-trading-two-2013-picks-for-two-2014-picks/

quote:

When we spent a portion of last Monday’s Pro Football Talk on NBC Sports Network pointing out the best and worst moves that we believed each AFC team made in the draft, I took issue with the Browns’ decision to swap a fourth-round pick in 2013 for a third-round pick in 2014 and a fifth-round pick in 2013 for a fourth-round pick in 2014.

When I read it a day or two ago, every commentator (correctly) blasted him as stupid for this article and his criticism. I mean 100% of the sample I read. I have not read the additional ones but I hope the trend continued. Florio shows here he doesn't even understand basic team building concepts.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Nately posted:

Sports writers have to cover these guys but they also get a little starstruck, so you may notice that when a player (like Cam Newton) is abrupt or rude with them, they react with the fury of a teenager turned down by her crush. I think Cam gets a hard time because he doesn't seem to humour these guys and it drives them nuts.

I think most of Cam's hard time is from snubbing Peter King at OTAs after King took a quote out of context and basically preemptively ruined his reputation (the star and icon thing). King showed up at unofficial workouts during the lockout and Cam wouldn't grant him a long interview and King got angry and cried about it in his weekly coffee and beer review piece. Peter King (somehow) is a guy everyone respects so this lead to a 90 way pile on from which Cam has yet to recover.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
How many of your cities have better local coverage through the newspaper than the leading local news channel? In Raleigh, WRAL (our leading local news channel) kills the News and Observer. I do not know a single person in my office who goes to the N&O's website before wral.com for anything. In the last year the N&O has only broken one really big local story I can think of. Their articles are not written as well, their website is much worse, and they pretty much add no value. It is even worse now that they laid off most of their Raleigh staff and it is run out of Charlotte, but even before that they added almost no value over WRAL. Even the things the local paper is supposed to be the best at, like the political beat, they are not any better than WRAL (and in my opinion they are worse).

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Peter King's site design is horrible (in my opinion)

http://mmqb.si.com/

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Grittybeard posted:

Peter King fills a niche for people who can't follow football as much as they would like or aren't as crazy as we are here.

That is a good point. He does hit a few lines for almost every game and even though we laugh at him, I bet if your football exposure was "you can only click one link each week" (not counting the fact his column is 9 pages) his probably is the most comprehensive single column.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
The article uses horrible wording and does a bad job of making the point it wants to, but I agree with the theory. Football is already pretty regional and the talent disparity already skewers much more towards the lesser income areas of the country.

I do have a question. Did wealthy people ever take up boxing or was it always a poor sport? I was just thinking about how I did not know a single kid who boxed. I was wondering if football was heading the same way.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
How do the stats change for enlisted only?

swickles posted:

I don't know about boxing, but its the trendy thing now to do MMA and the ultra wealthy will hire MMA fighters as trainers.

I know but I was just thinking boxing as a major sport which basically went away and everyone found out it was dangerous.

Correct me if I am wrong, but most people who go to MMA gyms and stuff aren't actually brawling for real, getting knocked around, concussions and so on, right? I used to go to a gym with MMA training and it mostly looked like grappling, not getting decked in the head for an hour straight.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Pete Prisco probably should sue his high school for concussions because clearly his brain is hosed if he thought that column was worth handing in.

edit

holy gently caress that Olbermann video is a work of art. Amazing

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 31, 2013

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Beard Yawn posted:

I think I only read Peter King at this point to roll my eyes.

Oh, thanks for telling me about that Peter.

How many people who read his national column does this restaurant review help out? 25?

Well, I know I live in Birmingham, Alabama, but Peter King talked about this regular sounding restaurant in Boston, so gas up the car honey we gotta get there!

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

He's just asking whether or not it would be more practical for people with epilepsy to cease existing. Does that make Peter King an ignorant, disgusting human being? Maybe, but I guess we'll never know for sure.

There are plenty of things to poo poo on Peter King for without making things up. If the guy is having multiple seizures on the sidelines, which he has, it seems fair to ask if it is still safe for him to coach. You don't need to cram words he did not say into his mouth. Peter King sucks enough without creating reasons out of thin air as examples of why he sucks.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Bill Barnwell's columns are awesome. He repeats the same points a lot, but overall I really enjoy his work. I wish I could like his podcast, but he tries too hard to be funny when he is absolutely not funny at all. Every one of his jokes makes me groan. Of course I still listen to every episode but it would be 5x as good if Barnwell never tried to make a joke again.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
From any objective point of view, going back to school when you are a number one pick is dumb. Ask Brian Brohm or Matt Leinart if that degree offset their lost NFL earnings.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I'd say the 10 million guaranteed he lost out by not being the 2005 first pick is a good place to start when you are figuring a price

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Dan Steinberg is the greatest local sports blogger there is. I don't know who second place is, but the gap must be Grand Canyon sized

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
This is an old article but it really bothers me. A lot of people these days, including some posters here, have such a knee jerk reaction to pot ever being mentioned as a negative thing they refuse to admit it does cause some people problems. they refuse to admit weed use can be a problem for some people. (edit - this is what I meant to say earlier but I am stupid and a horrible poster)

This Deadspin article is the pinnacle of this.

http://deadspin.com/pot-isnt-life-and-death-and-tyrann-mathieu-isnt-a-re-1463990959

quote:

Tyrann Mathieu smoked some weed in college. If we're going to play this brain-dead association game, let's start by being clear about what he actually did. He smoked some weed, somehow got vilified for it, was thrown off his football team, went to rehab for weed, and now plays for the Arizona Cardinals. There is no inherent connectivity among any of those events—they succeed one another in a m

He can't, though, because despite going through the media wringer with every right answer, and for Christ's sake, going to rehab, twice, for smoking weed, he's still on uneasy footing, because discipline and authority in football are unimpeachable,

You would have to be a dumbass to reduce everything that happened to him as "smoked some weed and got caught." The man has some serious demons from his past and to dismiss them as getting caught for smoking weed, and to act as if there is nothing else going on with him, is irresponsible at best. It is disrespectful to him to downplay what he is going through. He didn't have to attend months of counseling, inpatient rehab, have Patrick Peterson basically isolate him from all the negative people from his past, because of "just weed." Sometimes people actually do have real problems.

I hope the Cardinals surround him with the support system he needs while he is rehabbing.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 21, 2013

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

sweet thursday posted:

People with problems are more susceptible to weed and substance abuse in general, it doesn't therefore mean that weed makes you more susceptible to problems

edit: but yeah, it can definitely be a negative factor in the lives of a lot of people. And that's all I have to say about that forever.

drat my first sentence was not what I meant to say. I meant to say while weed did not cause his problems, it is not very fair to act like it is not a problem for him. If he is using it in an attempt to suppress his other problems instead of addressing them, it is still bad. I should have read that a few times before hitting submit. The man has had a tough childhood and the fact he is even alive at this point should be commended. A ton of credit should go to Patrick Peterson as well for being a true friend to him instead of another person around him without his best interests in mind.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 21, 2013

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Keep in mind he got his start in radio, and his talking is even more terrible than his writing.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Holy crap that Peter King column is an all timer

quote:

Regarding the Washington team name, it’s clear there is a dispute about whether the name is a slur or not. There is no dispute that the n-word is a slur.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Well he is a super hero Ehud

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
People like Omar Kelly and Greggggg Doyel make me think sports media is one of those industries where once you get one big time job, you will not be shown the door no matter how bad you show your rear end. Jay Mariotti had to beat up his girlfriend twice to go away.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Most people just want to watch some football and drink some beer. I have a friend who loves boxing, knows every fighter in the top 20 of every weight class, including their back stories, etc. and tries to tell me every little tiny thing about what is going on. I don't care, I just want to drink some beers and watch a couple of boxing matches. Most people treat football as the same. They don't care what it means to have gap discipline, what a cover 0 is, or any of that poo poo. They want to watch grown men do make crazy catches and tackles.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Peter King really needs a friend or two he grew up with who is comfortable busting his balls. Obviously no one professionally will do it since somehow his opinion has enough power to make or break careers, but jesus, does he not have a friend from middle school who will bust on him?

(He probably doesn't have any friends to be honest)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
@SI_PeterKing
Manziel's reaction shows a guy who can be messed with, a rabbit-eared player. Not a good trait for a starting NFL quarterback.

Awww poor Peter must have gotten blown off by a rookie QB at training camp again.

PS I have no idea what rabbit eared means in this context.

• Locked thread