Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Its Miller Time posted:

I was musing about today about how bad football commentary is. Can you name a single commentator or writer who actually discusses the strategy that goes on in a a game? What schemes the teams generally run, how they appear to have schemed for the game, how they countered each other and adjusted within the game, what plays they ran, why they ran them, how things are evolving or changed. FO gets there with some play-by-play analysis but it's exceedingly rare for how large the sport is.

Lemme tell you a little story 'bout a man named Gruden.

And a spider, a banana, the letter Y and his twin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

OBR posted:

I've been wondering about the lack of in-depth reporting as well. I'm from Europe and only started following football about five years ago, but still i don't get how even all kinds of NFL shows, podcasts etc. can reduce the game to QB vs. QB just about 99% of the time.

NFL teams don't talk to reporters and when they do it's coach speak and platitudes. If they do actually talk to "a reporter", it's a local guy, so your best source for team news is probably your local newspaper. The national sports media gets almost nothing, and what they do have is basically fed to them by the local guys, or recycled from their twitter feeds.

I'll give ESPN credit, they manage to talk for hours based on the contents of a handful of tweets... the content of those hours is poo poo and unwatchable, but they're doing it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

:thurman:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
It's Toaster Beef's to lose.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

This is great.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
:omarcomin:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is there a single decent human being who is a sports journalists or are they all universally underachieving narcissists

D Orlando Ledbetter isn't a huge piece of poo poo, but I don't follow his twitter account. He might tweet about goat-loving in the offseason, who knows?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
John Oliver talking about Native Advertising and the increasingly blurred line between the business and editorial sides of journalism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_F5GxCwizc

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

football fuckerman posted:

Yeah that was also meant as a joke about how espn's division bloggers all specialize in a particular team anyway

This.

The NFC South blogger hates Atlanta and I can't stand listening to his big, fat, dumb opinions.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

heft your fat rear end to a bar you lazy gently caress

"Eh, Princess Bride was on Bravo, and I only wanted to check the baseball scores on commercial breaks without having to check my MLB iPhone App."

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

You're right. Vaughn McClure covers the Falcons, Mike Triplett (lately of the Times-Picayune Saints beat) covers the Saints, David Newton covers the Panthers, and Pat Yasinskas (who used to cover the Panthers / be the NFC South blogger, so probably who Chilichimp was thinking of) covers the Buccaneers. When you go to the "NFC South" ESPN blog, you just get those 4 guys with their individual team posts rolled up.

gently caress Pat Yasinskas.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Badfinger posted:

An 18 inning playoff baseball game is actually a more exciting, unlikely occurrence than Alabama losing.

I wanted to test that assertion, and you're right. It's 4 times more likely for Bama to lose to Ole Miss than a playoff game go 18 innings.

That's still pretty impressive, though. That series is 47-9-2, advantage Bama.

That's just 18-inning play-offs games/year of the MLB play-off system, so the number is way loving bigger if you were to calculate 18-inning playoff games/total play-off games.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 7, 2014

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Peter King getting owned feels really good to me. Them ol helldump feels

I miss helldump sometimes. :smith:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Did he make a historical allusion and then... explain the allusion as though no one would know what he was talking about?

similar kind of bullshit posted:

When the Steelers won the superbowl, it was truly a day which will live in Infamy. President Franklin Roosevelt, addressing the attack on Pearl Harbor before a joint session of Congress, said in a speech on December 8th, 1941, that the previous day would live in infamy.

edit: VVV Haha, and he misused the plural of die, thanks ST. VVV

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 21, 2014

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
:lol: The line after the explanation is pure loving gold.

edit: I'm going to amend my last joke in honor or that horrible gently caress-up.

similar kind of bullshit posted:

When the Steelers won the superbowl, it was truly a day which will live in Infamy. President Franklin Roosevelt, addressing the attack on Pearl Harbor before a joint session of Congress, said in a speech on December 8th, 1941, that the previous day would live in infamy. The US was going to enter the war anyway, and Roosevelt was pleased that the Japanese attack provided him the necessary excuse to goad the legislature into a formal declaration.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 21, 2014

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Seven of 17 weeks played might not sound like much, but I'm a stupid piece of poo poo who can't be bothered to attribute the correct meaning to historical quotes. Julius Caesar said "all in, bitch" when he ordered his bronies across the Thames in the year of our lord 2014. The Roman civil war still had to take place, but Harbaugh felt he knew what would happen.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Note that he pluralized "die" as "dies" rather than "dice" so he probably thinks it means die as in mold, which kind of explains why he thinks that Caesar quote means the opposite of what it actually means? But it still makes no loving sense because you don't put those words together that way when you're talking about die-casting something.

That poo poo is so bad it wraps back around into being art.

I hadn't even considered that angle, which is by far the most likely and most hilarious.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I guarantee that White Michael Vick is gay. He's also still the QB in Atlanta in his universe.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
All anyone ever talks about is the Vick/Manning Rivalry. Brady never got a shot in that universe and after 4 years backing up the poo poo-show in New England he retired and works as a used car salesman.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

@OmarKelly: Jameis Winston's rape allegations don't concern me. Stealing crab legs doesn't concern me.What concerns me is his decision making, maturity.

Trigger warning that poo poo, Omar.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

@OmarKelly: Advice: Don't send me like 15 tweets in a row. Play hard to get a little. That's like texting a girl you like non-stop. Pace yourself.

This guy needs his own thread.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Seems to me they could just not ask yes or no questions?

Or just be a ham with him, for fucks sake. Ask him poo poo like, "Marshawn, how do you like the new Applebees steak selection?"

edit:

Or....

"Marshawn, what do you think of the new nacho cheese sauce they're selling in the stadium? I think it's poo poo, but I really want your take."

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Sour Diesel posted:

my day is always brightened knowing they just went out there and gave 100% and just executed out there

It always brings me comfort after a loss to know that my team had a plan but that their opponent also had a plan that they just executed better. It is reassuring to hear the leadership admit to the fact that guys need to step up and make plays.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

I really don't care about what Lynch does or doesn't say, but I find his total contempt of the media baffling. Was his mother Lady Diana or something? The dude is a gimmicky guy. From the grills, to the roped off Lambo, to the Skittles, to the flying crotch grab, Marshawn wants attention. So why does he get all uppity when reporters want to talk to him? Was he burned by a reporter in the past?

You'd get shot saying something like that in Atlanta.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
This mother fucker right there... He's going deep in the douche-offs.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
He put his FACE on this.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ostentatious posted:

#skittlegate

#skittghazi

#SkittleBighorn

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, I think being found guilty of multiple rapes is objectively worse than failing some drug tests...

"We're not letting Darren Sharper into the hall? Why the gently caress not? There's all kinds of goons in the hall! If he doesn't get in, then anyone who ever broke any rule shouldn't get in!" :colbert:

This seems like the point of view of a complete nitwit. So some player got a DUI or two on his way to being the greatest defensive tackle ever. Maybe he slapped his wife around once in there but it never got to be a big deal, or was totally swept under the rug.

Darren Sharper is a deplorable human being and whatever his accomplishments in this life, they mean nothing against the backdrop of actions.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Some dude: "Hey... multiple, forcible rapist!"

Darren Sharper: "AAAAAAH! It was only the once!"

No, idiot. No, it wasn't the once. gently caress you.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
If you wanna make a case to pull any convicted rapists or murderers out of the hall, I'd probably back that.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

I think the decapitated coal miner thing is a decent point. There's an almost preposterous amount of jobs that can maim you out there. Many of them done by idiots, who probably will get maimed.

I also enjoyed that retort, because gently caress the shithead veteran who read a vague reference to workplace deaths and got righteously indignant assuming dude was talking about specifically the military.

edit:

Florio's original point was loving stupid, I just appreciate the back and forth.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 18, 2015

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He absolutely meant military and when he got called on it he tried to back out like a little rat bitch and you are giving him too much credit by even considering he didn't mean military

I hate the indignant veteran meme more than I hate Mike Florio.

It's a weird place, but it's where I'm at right now.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 18, 2015

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Febreeze posted:

Who is Matt Florio, is he the headless uncle of Mike Florio

:argh:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

My grandfather flew a bomber that most likely dropped bombs on civilian targets in Germany. I demand that this forum treat me with the respect I deserve.

My Grandfather was the flight doctor for a squadron that basically just flew the brass around Europe. Pretty sweet gig, really.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

My uncle works at Nintendo

Owns.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

my dad works at one of those stands in the middle of the mall floor where they try to sell you an overpriced cellphone case

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I hold those mall kiosk folks with the same regard as the bootleg DVD guy at the local comic shop.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

AKMoose posted:

It's true. And yet, decades later, I've still never met anyone whose uncle worked at Sega.

Until right the gently caress now.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
No one did?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
tbf, if you're a sports journalist that's active on twitter and you don't know who PFTCommenter is, you deserve whatever is coming to you

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

FYI, as of today Skip Bayless is still employed.

That is all.

That's for checking in, Chiche. I wasn't going to, but I'll be sure to still not watch first take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, people like that are real? Welp :suicide:

• Locked thread