Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

And I stopped reading at that point. It boggles my mind that Florio and PFT have somehow become a respected institution in the football media world. I am hoping that this is a work of satire that is over my reading comprehension levels.

He is unequivocally a bad writer. Just makes stupid mistakes constantly and shows absolutely no grasp of basic newsgathering or storytelling techniques

I'm teaching an undergrad class while I'm doing my master's and I see the same mistakes in their work that I do in his. It's totally unacceptable that he gets paid MILLIONS OF DOLLARS for absolute poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Look at that first loving sentence. Revel in its glory

a million clauses per second

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

AKMoose posted:

As a former reporter, I am having trouble understanding what King's point is supposed to be. Reporters serve the public, not their sources. There was nothing surreptitious, illegal, or unethical about a documentary filmmaker releasing footage of statements made in his presence. I also get a kick out of how he passes judgment on a contract he admits he's never seen. What a dolt.

As a current reporter it can be explained by complacency. Peter king - whom I never read until I started posting here - is the epitome of a lazy reporter who's interested only in the status quo, in every way.

Can he use unparalleled access to write about dumb bullshit like his hotel coffee? you loving bet he will. He's the old, fat, useless columnist who coasts on relevance he never earned.

maybe i'm projecting too much, but gently caress peter king

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Sash! posted:

I remember, like, 20 years ago us moron kids joking about how Hoge was one more head injury away from dying on the field.
He tried to do play-by-play stuff but he couldn't keep up with the action on the field and would say words wrong constantly. Oh, and he would mislabel players on a ton of plays.

Brain injuries are a terrible thing and gently caress Peter king for not standing up for former players. gently caress that fat rear end in a top hat

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

All the chambly beers own, I didn't know you could get them outside Quebec/eastern Ontario

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Great, consistent writing usually involve great editors - gonad and ham can maybe back me up on this. The problem with Peter king and magary's recent deadspin stuff is that neither of them are edited much, if at all.

A good editor can trim fat and help a writer focus their ideas - two things which king entirely lacks. A ton of columnists get huge heads about their own writing and can get all pissy when something is changed. I was responsible for changing the tense in a sentence in a national columnist's work and he was actively hostile to me for a week - and he wrote it wrong.

Complacency is terrible in every industry and for every professional. Peter King is the perfect example, as is the difference between drew's web stuff and his GQ pieces. Just because you have a clear, defined voice doesn't mean you don't need a swift kick in the rear end every so often

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

They just started not one but two sports channels!

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I can't send press releases but if you want the inside scoop on lurid Canadian sex crimes I cover that

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

There's no excuse for not having editors, though - I worked at a wire service where speed = money in the most direct sense and we just had really good, really fast editors.

Florio pisses me off so much because he's a bad reporter and a bad writer. Peter King has the tools to be great at both - his problem is self-indulgence, not talent. Florio is just sort of a not-very-bright guy who lucked into a prominent position. Terry Bradshaw Expressway indeed

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Also my girlfriend is a bilingual editor/proofreader for the main publication of the canadian government. So she writes, translates, and edits stuff in both official languages, much of which was written by random public servants with a) no writing training whatsoever b) little skill in their second language and c) a vested interest in obfuscating the real meaning of the law/regulation/proposal.

I do not envy her job.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Yo, all the time I've wasted becoming a really good reporter is loving worthless if BleacherReport is worth $175 million

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Seriously I got into this game for the money.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

One hundred and eighty million American dollars for zero-content slideshows

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I know that, and I do. Whenever you google anything sports-related BR is in the top 5 results, every time. Pandering is a successful formula - and always has been.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Armond White said Big Momma's House 2 was a deep exploration of the role of the modern African-American woman in society

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Pretty much yeah

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Rap posted:

In sports journalism, this will probably be true for a while, maybe gradually replaced by accurate scoops. But what kind of enterprise stories can you really come across in sports? Besides managing to uncover something huge like "Bill Belicheck privately admits he prefers white players" there isn't much enterprise to be had.

But in general news, I think there's gradually a move toward enterprise reporting, both on Twitter and in general. But there's a good chance I think that because I work at a weekly paper, where we barely bother to try to break most news and instead work strictly on enterprise stuff.
I worked for a national wire service and breaking news fast is totally awesome. Then again, getting it right is equally important. Florio does neither

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

This, but unironically.

But I may not be an impartial source on this subject.

OK, sort of ironically

Rice caught a ton of his yards in blowout wins, roughly 700 of them according to some thing I read. Calvin owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

This is awesome. There used to be a clip on Youtube from one of the Super Bowl documentaries that was just called "Raiders football" and it was all about how deliciously evil they were

"I think half our team was on work-release just to play." RIP Kenny

• Locked thread