Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

nrr posted:

I think what is super hard is actually becomming a high profile sports journalist to begin with. Then from there, the ridiculously insanely hard part is still being a decent, respectable journalist while you're paid no matter what tripe you put out. It's like being told pants are optional and showing up to work in pants every day anyway. It's gotta be tough to continue to adhere to a standard while the majority of your target market is either drunk and/or doesn't know poo poo about what you're talking about anyway.

Without knowing a single journalist or having any real knowledge on the field, to me, the real problem here is the inherant target market of recreational journalism. Not that major "serious" news companies put out a decent product overall, but there still remains quality journalism within their ranks. When you look at recreational journalism like sport and video games though, (and to a lesser extent, tourism,) trying to find a well written, well sourced article without bias or spin is way more of a challenge than it should be. At least looking at it from a journalism perspective. I'm starting to think a lot of these guys don't really think of themselves as "journalists" any more though.

Yeah actually you're completely right. I think in truth I (and the Plain Dealer in my example) am holding sports "journalists" to a level almost none of them give a gently caress about. Peter King's out there going to dinner with Robert Kraft or Tom Brady or Brett Favre or Roger Goodell every night, then trying to report on them. He just doesn't give a gently caress what ethics are.

Outside of sports it's a lot better. A reporter would get scrutinized much more closely. You're not going to catch them palling around with the governor and then trying to report on what he/she is doing. Just remember, MSNBC suspended and then fired Keith Olbermann when they found out he had donated to Democratic candidates. So I think outside of sports there's still hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Really you guys don't think reporters should strive to be fair to all sides

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

midwat posted:

I don't think him having an opinion disqualifies him from covering an issue fairly. If that were so, journalism would be completely impossible.

The crux of the matter is if his opinion of the owner unfairly slanted his reports. Did he omit information in the owner's favor? Was he unnecessarily critical about the owner?

If so, it's a problem. If not, he's doing what every journalist on the planet does - quoting someone he thinks is an idiot.

Once again, I know reporters form opinions on their sources, as I said with the Sara Ganim example. But if she had said on Twitter, dang, Joe Amendola creeps the poo poo out of me, then the rest of her reporting is tainted because of that. You really can't openly criticize someone and then claim you can be unbiased later. That is not ethically possible. As soon as you reveal a bias it automatically "unfairly slants your reports." Imagine if Bill O'Reilly tried to deliver a straight news story on a policy of the federal government. Any chance you'd believe him, no matter how unbiased the story actually was?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
You fairly represent all sides in a story. You don't have to make everyone look good, you just give them the chance to do it themselves if they can manage to.

Here's how you be unfair:

- Fail to contact one or more very important parties to let them give quotes
- Even if you do get quotes, dedicate a disproportionate amount of space to one side over the other
- Misrepresent the ideas or arguments of one side
- Editorialize, i.e. give your opinion on something (this happens a lot more than you might think. Stories on wildfires here in Colorado are loving awful for this, so much cheerleading for firefighters)
- Uhh there's got to be more.

Anyway Sara Ganim doesn't have to make everyone a hero or even likeable. They aren't. But she was fair to everyone because her stories avoided all of the above. And again she's my model in particular for number 4, "you don't know what she thinks of anyone involved," which is key to fairness.

One more angle to consider on the Grossi thing: Will he ever have a positive conversation with Lerner again? Okay, Lerner doesn't talk to the press, but generally speaking that's an important point. Your sources suspect you won't be fair with how you handle their material (always drawing out the worst quotes or underquoting). In this aspect Sarah Palin is actually right for once: It's so obvious most media thinks she's stupid--which she is--that she barely gives them time. Why would she? It's never going to be fair to her.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

ulmont posted:

This is bullshit. Asking one side "what do you say," asking the other side "what do you say," and then writing it down, is stenography, not journalism.

Similarly, if you've done an investigation, and you don't tell me what you think the actual truth is, there's no point in not just reading each side's press releases.

Doing the above leads to stories that read "Opinions on the shape of the earth differ." If one side says the earth is flat, and the other says the earth is round, it is a disservice to the readers (viewers, listeners, etc.) to not actually say "and the flat side is completely wrong."

Is that what I was saying dude

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Let's say I get a tip that several employees at the Denver library are accusing a supervisor of sexual harassment. One of their lawyers talks to me, one of the alleged victims talks to me, three or four others choose not to. From there, to write a fair story, I have to make an effort to contact:
- the supervisor who's accused
- whoever's above him, the library's CEO or whatever title it would be

If I don't make that effort, the story has no chance of being unbiased. If I do get to talk to them, I ask them about the accusations. I include their answers, whether they deny or whatever they say. Then the story is fair. If, for example, the supervisors have no explanation for parts of the accusations, I write "Jones had no explanation, however, for missing surveillance footage during the time the attacks allegedly occurred."

As for your example, I don't think there are often news stories about bare and well-established facts. Did the sexual assaults in my example occur? If you were the reporter, would you know? And would you sit down and write a story acting like you knew one way or the other?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

GD_American posted:

Really don't see why this one got under your skin so bad, Ham. It certainly means everything he writes from here out is taken with a grain of salt, but it largely just means he was dumb enough not to understand how to be discrete about his opinions.

Weigh his case against:

a) The overwhelming number of beat reporters that commit offenses just as bad by gargling their team owner's ballsacks

b) The ones that utter opinions like Grossi's, except instead of in a misdirected DM, they actually write them in their loving columns and come back to those opinions in future columns.

The real irritation for me is that ESPN stepped in into the middle of another publication's discipline/time to decide and lured him away. I think it says a lot about their ethics that they snatched away another reporter and put him straight on the beat while a real news medium was making up its mind.

poo poo just spiraled from there

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
oh yeah then why's MF DOOM rap "reminisce / back when I was very broke / shots of henny straight / couldn't afford to cop the cherry coke?"

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Ehh it reads funny but i've seen it before. It works a lot better in the plural like he has it for some reason. The way you phrase it does sound weird.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Because they know if they say "us" black people will know they mean "Republicans"

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
That's AP style too, I believe.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Yeah is this the women's appearances thread or can we talk about a female writer for her writing

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
my posting ways are mysterious indeed. the spirit of Boniface touches me, and I fall down

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
yep can't believe the sure-fire moneymaker of news reporting failed you blackula

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Hey the media outlet that actually did the research for this is the SF Weekly so let's give them some clicks because free alternative weeklies own even though this is a Village Voice paper (crappy and corporate but still at least a free weekly)

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Sitting next to Peter King in coach is a nightmare

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Peter King is just a man of the people. The people despise him, and wish to be rid of him, but he is of them nonetheless

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Sash! posted:

Almost 60% of marriages fail because they can't agree if Y counts or not.

hahaha

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
What if Peter King was shot in the face repeatedly *daydreams 4 hours*

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
It's no fun to go to a loss, and you can expect most Browns games to be a loss, so why would I ever go to a game?

Now, leave it to Rick Reilly to turn that opinion into written dog poo poo

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'm a Raiders fan and also saw a game at Browns stadium. I sort of had an opposite cool experience. I was seated near a huge block of seats that Raider fans had bought, so it was a good sized number of people, doing chants and such. The cool thing was that they were going back and forth with the Browns fans in the near sections and it was completely good-natured. The Browns fans would yell some insulting chant, the Raider fans would answer, and everyone was laughing and having a good time.

My wife is a Steeler fan and we've been to one Steeler game in Browns stadium. She wasn't obnoxious, she didn't wear any gear and when the Steelers scored (a frequent occurrence), her cheering was pretty mild. She was seated next to a pair of women who combined had to be 450 years old. The Steelers got an interception and Kelly spontaneously jumped up and yelled, "Yes!" The old woman next to her snapped, "Shut up!" She genuinely looked like she wanted to kill my wife.

Thats because your wife should eat poo poo

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Randomly Specific posted:

Revisiting that 'scooped on Twitter business' it reminds me of an article that I read before the election, talking about how the media still gets excited about chronological scoops (being the first with a story that everyone will get) rather than enterprise scoops (being the first with a story that nobody else even knows exists yet.)

I mean, whoopty-do that you're the 'first' to report that Roethlisberger is down? It's just a matter of being closest to the keyboard when the story breaks, not because of any extra-special super reporter powers.

In sports journalism, this will probably be true for a while, maybe gradually replaced by accurate scoops. But what kind of enterprise stories can you really come across in sports? Besides managing to uncover something huge like "Bill Belicheck privately admits he prefers white players" there isn't much enterprise to be had.

But in general news, I think there's gradually a move toward enterprise reporting, both on Twitter and in general. But there's a good chance I think that because I work at a weekly paper, where we barely bother to try to break most news and instead work strictly on enterprise stuff.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
For a story on that scale, there's just no solution for it. God knows we here in Boulder fell into it with the Jessica Ridgeway story recently. We didn't post anything inaccurate at any point, although we did report on a false accusation of an attempted child abduction like every news outlet in Colorado. It's extremely hard not to get into the breaking news game on a big, big story like that.

But, on average, when news poo poo is not hitting the news fan, I do think there's a move toward enterprise reporting, yes.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Blackula69 posted:

I worked for a national wire service and breaking news fast is totally awesome. Then again, getting it right is equally important. Florio does neither

Oh, it's really fun to break news, absolutely. As a weekly we can hardly compete but it's really exciting.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Hahahaha holy poo poo. ESPN doesn't employ editors hahahaha

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
He's sticking to his guns that that's not rare huh. Admirable

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Ham is having a freakout over the horrendous reporting in this article. Just look at the sourcing, especially compared to the bald assertion in the headline.

quote:

Still not starting, Tebow feels Jets misled him
By Mike Freeman | National NFL Insider
December 18, 2012 3:46 pm ET

Mark Sanchez is benched. That's not a shock. Fifty turnovers in two seasons will do that. What is a shock is that Tim Tebow didn't get the start and I'm told he isn't happy about it at all.

Greg McElroy will quarterback the team Sunday, but let's back up for a moment. When the Jets traded for Tebow, he was informed that he would get a chance to start should something happen to Sanchez (either due to injury or benching). But that hasn't truly happened and I'm told Tebow feels like the Jets misled him.

Tebow may deny this because he's the good soldier but there's no question he feels this way.

Whether you think Tebow can play quarterback or not, these feelings are understandable. Why in the hell did the Jets trade for Tebow? That's a fair question. Part of the answer may be that Tebow is so bad in practice, they don't feel they can trust him. But the Jets had to have some idea that Tebow can't run a conventional offense. All they had to do is look at what he did in Denver.

So some of this was Rex Ryan's ego. He thought he could mold Tebow into a good quarterback but now Ryan sees what the Broncos discovered: that it's an impossible mission. So now the quarterback situation is messy.

And will only get worse.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/21420270/still-not-starting-tebow-feels-jets-misled-him

Im told mike Freeman is a fucktard shitlord terrorist who is the worst. He may deny it but I can tell you it's true. I am told

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I can guarantee you anonymity to the point that I won't identify you as a 9ers poster, a TFF poster, a SAS poster, an SA poster, a user of the internet, an adult, or even a human.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Nobody click this link for any reason http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/media-awards-2012/?xid=cnnbin ("SI.com 2012 Media Awards")

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Opening with announcer of the year Joe Buck made me squeal in shock/horror and I got fired from my job and am living on the street so I couldn't get to those parts

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I'd almost argue that's supposed to be ironic but given how much ESPN loves storylines and wrapping poo poo [their reporting] up with bows I think it's sincere and NOTHING IS WORSE THAN SINCERITY

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
It's true that the subjects of the news "answer to" the media in a Fourth Estate kinda way, like if the media uncovered something truly horrible we could ideally make any public official answer to it or get a product pulled from shelves or whatever. But that's not what Omar Kelly is thinking because he is total trash like many beat reporters for NFL teams

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
The appropriate answer to "Do you like girls?" is, of course, "No, the only thing I like is football"

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
"Not as much as they like me. Ask your wife. Helldump bitch. Next question."

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

nrr posted:

ahaha oh man I am biting my posting tongue so hard right now you're lucky i love you ham.

I mean I guess you could ask my wife. Oh wait "It's not 2009, b" - rapper Shad

Anals of History posted:

Florio's take on a recent Kaepernick interview where he was plugging Michelle Obama's "Let's Play" initiative:

Kaepernick's visit to the radio show was likely scheduled well before the Smith trade and was predicated solely on talking about this philanthropic cause. Regardless of this basic fact, Florio:
  • Gets mad that Kaep completely side-stepped all drama with a completely logical answer and only talked about helping kids stay active. Worthless drivel compared to the possibility of hearing one human being verbally poo poo on another, right?
  • Implies that the "Let's Play" plug was just a handy smokescreen that shielded Kaepernick from having to tell the truth.
  • Says its "crystal clear" that Smith is getting traded based on this interview. It was crystal clear months ago, you twat.
This has been your "gently caress Mike Florio" moment for March 1, 2013.
  • Absolutely cannot write for poo poo

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Oooh wait thought of another one

nrr posted:

ahaha oh man I am biting my posting tongue so hard right now you're lucky i love you ham.
You could ask my wife. Especially about the plural part!!!

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

lol

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Holy poo poo

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Shittynerdness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Isaac Bruce Bowen posted:

If I ever miraculously find out that King will be on one of my flights and that we will be sitting next to each other, I plan to not wear any deodorant for a couple of days prior so that he can write about smelly Indian passengers.

hahahahahaha

• Locked thread