Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Febreeze posted:

Wario Williams?

Ahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Badfinger posted:

What if he'd meant to talk about how Lerner is the most bestest man in the world, who spreads sunshine and unicorns to the universe? That's potentially just as unobjective but much less objectionable to say. People freely say things like that out loud on broadcast coverage and there are no repercussions, but it's the exact same thing. You would hope they could remain objective about a good man's bad decisions just like if you thought Lerner was a pile of garbage but hiring Holmgren was a great move.

This is just as bad. Even though he is a columnist and not a beat reporter, Sid Hartman of the Star Tribune in Minnesota blows so much sunshine about the sports teams here that any time he does try to report anything, no one puts any stock in it. He displays such little objectivity that it has destroyed his credibility.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

I like how the "flaw in that logic" is because Matt Moore and David Gerrard are bad so beating them out wouldn't boost his confidence. Not all the other reasons is a stupid loving thing to say.

And yeah, he gave up being a lawyer to do PFT a long time ago.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Rap posted:

A main reason I think he's trolling sometimes is that one unscripted comment he made demanding that someone give him credit for breaking a story he didn't break. He knows he's poo poo as a journalist and he has to scrape up pageviews somehow.

Yeeesssss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbjCKEmOaD4

Wasn't it also the case that he didn't actually "have it first"?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

They called a child actress a oval office in what was clearly a misfired joke that went too far on the edgy side and everyone flipped their poo poo about it, because it's still hosed up to call an 11 year old girl a oval office even if you're joking

Wasn't that their Twitter, not a story?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I saw this on ESPN and then blacked out so consider this a trigger warning for everyone

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I actually liked the old cartoons they used.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Sherman Sez Players Know Risk

Frank Scwhab of Yahoo! Sports wants to disagree but it's just to argue Sherman's points!

Frank Scwhab posted:

Sherman starts the column by saying that he suffered a concussion in his first start, could barely see afterward and played two quarters "half blind," but got an interception later and stayed in the starting lineup.

Not telling anyone he had a concussion and playing through it paid off. It's hard to tell Sherman, now one of the game's top cornerback, that he did the wrong thing.

That's part of what makes the issue complicated. The NFL deserves blame for misleading players on the long-term effects of concussions for many years. That probably won't happen anymore. But what's left is players with the most information possible, but they still understand the consequences of being honest if they are hurt.

Sherman writes that he thinks the public stance the NFL has taken on player safety, and the number of rules against hitting defenseless receivers, actually makes football more dangerous.

"It’s not hurting anybody but the players by making the game more dangerous. Defensive players are used to playing fast, but now they’re being forced to play with indecision, and indecision gets you hurt in this game," he wrote.

Sherman makes points that are hard to argue against. And certainly many other players feel that way. Is it the NFL's job to protect these players from themselves? Or is Sherman right, that once players understand the risk it's then up to them if they want to play?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Because that's "what's best about the game!"

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Or maybe ESPN wants to make sure we know that Schwartz is really benefiting from the use of that new exfoliator.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I love tone deaf stories like that.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Ehud posted:

@OmarKelly: I achieved my childhood dream at the age of 30. How many people can say that. My biggest challenge now is figuring out what's next.

But Omar, I thought your childhood dream was to be a superhero???

To answer your question, basically everyone that you cover for your job can say that.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I know the rule is to never read TMQ but if I hadn't, I would not have found this gem:

TMQ posted:

That Year 2000 column introduced Stop Me Before I Blitz Again, and also discussed my alternative names for the Washington franchise. Then I was calling the team the Chesapeake Watershed Region Indigenous Persons. I changed to Potomac Drainage Basin Indigenous Persons when readers noted that Baltimore in is the Chesapeake watershed. Plus, I liked associating Dan Snyder's team with the word "drainage."

Lots of people are climbing onto the anti-R*dsk*ns bandwagon now, and welcome aboard. I've been there for 15 years. I wrote a piece for NFL.com in 2004 protesting the R*dsk*ns name, before this became a fashionable cause. The piece contained this phrase: "everyone accepts that the word itself is insulting. Redskin: 'a disparaging term for Native Americans' (American Heritage Dictionary)" and also the word Matwesaso.

Then he goes on about using the Matwesaso and at some point the column devolves into how the private sector would fix infrastructure faster than the public sector does, so pretty par for the course.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Does ESPN still use division level bloggers? I thought every team had a dedicated blogger in lieu of the old division set up?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

:laugh: feels appropriate.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
He was super popular back in the early days of Page 2 when that was all there really was for alternative sports journalism, got fired for saying something about Disney and jews (I think), went to either FOX Sports or CBS Sportsline with the same schtick but no one read it, then found his way back to ESPN. Basically he's a legacy piece dumb people read because it's familiar, like Rick Reilly.

e: here were TMQs comments that got him fired:

TMQ posted:

Disney's CEO, Michael Eisner, is Jewish; the chief of Miramax, Harvey Weinstein, is Jewish. Yes, there are plenty of Christian and other Hollywood executives who worship money above all else, promoting for profit the adulation of violence. Does that make it right for Jewish executives to worship money above all else, by promoting for profit the adulation of violence? Recent European history alone ought to cause Jewish executives to experience second thoughts about glorifying the killing of the helpless as a fun lifestyle choice.

Also he wrote for NFL.com, not FOX or CBS.

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 21, 2014

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

MourningView posted:

There was a point where he seemed vaugely smart because he used big words and occasionally included numbers, but it didn't take very long to realize that his writing is a tortured, rambling mess, his numbers stuff is usually wrong, and he wrote the exact same gigantic column every single week.

He also challenged a lot of conventional thinking around football strategy (like punting readily) that made him stand out but as time went on, better voices emerged while his talking points remained stagnant so now he just sounds like your racist grandpa who hates blitzing and oogles cheerleaders.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I wonder how many notebooks he has with "game over" written in it. Like there is this room in his house that's just full of notebooks, probably the kind with that weird cover that didn't know if it was lovely camouflage or some sort of acid wash? Anyway, floor to ceiling and in all of them are detailed play-by-plays of every game with one precise moment in which the words "GAME OVER" are written around it.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Doubly Sweet 'N' Doubly Sour Sequence: Miami leading 24-20, Green Bay was down to fourth-and-10 with 1:07 remaining. TMQ noted two weeks ago, "If there's one thing that would put a smile on the face of Aaron Rodgers, it's a predictable blitz." All Miami needs is an incompletion -- surely the Dolphins won't big-blitz! They do, Green Bay converts. Green Bay would get two more first downs in the next six snaps, both against blitzes. Sweet for the visitors, sour for the home team.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Heteroy posted:

That actually brings up a general thing that sports journalists do that seems to get worse every year. It seems like I hear about a MUST WIN game earlier and earlier each season. I'd be curious to find who's said it the earliest this year. My favorite though was about three or four years ago, when it was repeated on ESPN about an NFC East team that was already mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

It starts happening as early as week 2 if an expected contender loses in week 1. You'll start hearing about how only X% of teams have made the playoffs after starting 0-2 and narratives on "this isn't how the team envisioned the season starting", etc.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Maybe they will merge the AP Bot with the NYT 4th Down Bot to generate some commentary with the news wire.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Spoeank posted:

If he had just come out and said it, he would have been the scooper. It's one of the best LBs of the last decade retiring. You don't really have to tease that.

But if he does, I'll have no reason to come back and bang it there for the least rumors and news!

(seriously Florio, you got bought up NBC sports. why does your poo poo still look like an after-work Geocities site?)

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
what is the indignant veteran meme?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Holy poo poo

@sackedbybmac:
@PFTCommenter @themightygwinn you can't even spell things right after I call you out. Hint: If a red line is under it you spelled it wrong

@PFTCommenter:
@sackedbybmac @themightygwinn nazis cared way to much about thin red lines too. Called em armbands

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I, too, wonder why a run through Central Park does not invoke an existential reflection of life for everyone else but hey, America!

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Well its obtuse and unnecessary and relies on the reader having knowledge of a like decade old Chris Rock routine. It's bad but not worst thing I'll read all day bad.

Two decades. I know, I've been struggling with general dating like that, too, and basically refer to everything in the past as if it's still 2005.

Still though, I don't think it's that obtuse of a reference -- like Mel said, it's a pretty big cultural touchstone.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
You can hear Schefter checking his tone when he talks about why Collins was falling in the draft.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

NC-17 posted:

Mike Florio.

"On one hand, I realize that plenty of cross pollination happens between the league office and its various team, given that the expertise necessary to operate the league will in large part come from folks who have successfully operated teams. But this approach will lead to a stew of conflicting interests that can manifest themselves in all sorts of ways."

I like how he tries to handwave away the fact that the majority of front office personnel have served multiple teams, including division rivals and not only is rarely an issue, when it comes up it's not through 15 back channel relationships. Front offices aren't like fans; they don't hold animosity towards each other because of the name on their paycheck.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
No, Florio just doesn't use an editor despite not being a solo blogger anymore and also desperately needing it.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Mike Florio Doubles Down in His Crusade Against Shaun King

It's amazing how much the gap between modern day reporting and long forum post diatribes has narrowed.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Ben Goessling seemingly writes his own stuff for the Vikings but the content regularly overlaps what appears on the local ESPN radio affiliate site and often a day behind.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

SlipUp posted:

"Ageism"

People can't just say stupid poo poo about anyone without it being part of some grand social struggle anymore

It's idiotism is what it is

The throughline of the whole article is about how out of touch Brandt is because he's so old. it doesn't even try to offer up why Tunsil should have made the list - just that Brandt must not get it cause he could be Gase's grandpa so there's a lot of things he wouldn't understand about kids today. Ageism is exactly what it is and it should be called directly.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

SlipUp posted:

Well in that case I hope one day old white men are able to cast off their oppressors and live free.

speaking of idiotism

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

SlipUp posted:

Well I'm glad there's so much support against ageism in this particular circumstance, I hope we can all approach the next NFL celebration clampdown or owner racism controversy with the same consistency.

"stop making this a big deal" says only guy making it a big deal

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

SlipUp posted:

Implying senior citizens being ignorant of how to use a gas masks for drug consumption seems pretty tame for accusations of diminishing the humanity of old people. Or is it the reference that he graduated before the Vietnam protests? Hardly the edgiest of jokes.

I agree it was dumb for him to make a big deal about Brandt not including Tunsil, but it's a reach to see him saying anything offensive toward Brandt in this quote. If anything he goes out of his way to compliment Brandt, probably to backtrack on his opening.

Is the implication old people don't understand youth culture what's offensive? That doesn't seem like an offensive statement on it's face. The most offense I could gleam personally is referring to Brandt as old in the first place. Which is mean to Brandt but doesn't exactly put old people down as a whole.

No one is calling it offensive. I don't know why you're jumping to that conclusion. This isn't some grandstanding about the oppression of old people or part of some #OldPeopleMatter movement. The point of ageism label is to articulate why it was a dumb article so if the author or any one else wants to go down a similar path, they take a moment to root their criticism in something substantive than age (or at least back it up with quotes that display an older person as being out of touch).

And even that makes it sound like a bigger deal than what it is - it's just good, simple discourse on getting away from bad opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Florio is clueless

quote:

Those of you how pay attention to Twitter (and plenty of you who don’t) possibly have paid attention by now to the squabble that emerged after the latest effort by Texans defensive end J.J. Watt to get people to pay attention to him.
It was the kind of circumstance that falls within the confines of an article I wrote in April, regarding Watt’s overall view on social media. In a nutshell, his position is: “Look at me, unless you don’t like what you see. If that’s the case, what are you looking at?”
Watt’s not objecting to the fact that I saw his latest attempt to make a given topic all about him, while also showing off his pecs, delts, lats, abs, bis, and/or tris to the world. He’s objecting to the fact that I reacted to it in a way he didn’t like. And that’s where he continues to be deliberately obtuse about social media.
He’s basically (and clumsily) looking for an exemption from any and all criticism for what he posts. And that would be a great thing to have. I’ve said plenty of arguably (and actually) dumb things on Twitter over the years. Would I have preferred that those who justifiably criticized me had simply not looked at what I said? Hell yes.
Watt doesn’t want that. He wants only the praise, and none of the criticism, for anything and everything he says and does on Twitter and other social media. And if he doesn’t want people to react negatively or skeptically to what he’s doing, he probably should stop using social media.

The irony is deafening.

• Locked thread