Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rap posted:

I agree with you to a point, as well. But Gleason was put in that horrible spot not by Pamphilon's release of the tape, but by the fact that Gleason heard those pro-injury comments and did nothing. Just like everyone else. I don't understand how the documentarian gets the attention and Gleason--and tons of other people--skate off without any scrutiny.

Gleason is campaigning to raise awareness of a disease, should he really risk his reputation just to save a few pussies some mild concussions? Gleason shouldn't have to put his work in jeopardy just to keep a few people from being dinged up in a contact sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

GD_American posted:

e-nm bit on an incredibly obvious troll

drat. I really wish I'd gotten to read this.

I wasn't necessarily trolling, just being sarcastic. Gleason absolutely shouldn't be covering up for Williams.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MonsterWalk posted:

Wanted to make sure this wasn't lost to history.

Peter King: Rape Apologist

Yeap! Let's forgive a rapist because he hasn't raped in a while! People change!

You mean he hasn't been caught raping anyone for a while.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MonsterWalk posted:

Yea, he acted like a human being. Let us reward him with accolades and anoint his feet with scented oils. It's pretty easy not to be an irresponsible poo poo-heel for two years. Lots of players do it their entire careers.

This. I personally don't expect to be rewarded for not doing a negative action. You deserve praise when you go above and beyond being a human being. Could you imagine a Something Awful where E/N lavishes you with praise because " This week I did not put a child beneath a guillotine."

sever

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Brannock posted:

Peter King.

Really. Really?

Noted White NFL Players Kurt Warner and Matt Light.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

commy gun posted:

Don't let Peter King sour your taste of Blue Moon.

Blue Moon is poo poo and any beer brewed by Coors should be on your "do not drink" list.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AdamD posted:

high-fiven the poo poo outta dis post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Fin_du_Monde_(beer)

Beer talk is better than BBQ talk and I won't hear any disagreement.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Blackula69 posted:

All the chambly beers own, I didn't know you could get them outside Quebec/eastern Ontario

My mother found that one at a Trader Joe's down in SoCal. Hopefully they have it at the Bay Area ones, because that just became one of my favorite beers.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MourningView posted:

All beer owns in its own way and beer snobbery is dumb is heck, just drink what you like and never lecture someone else about the beer they drink because it makes you look like a jerk and a nerd. There all beer arguments over.

PBR fan spotted.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I think his analogy is the worst.

quote:

Let's put this Matt Forte dilemma into a different perspective.

Say you are a young chef doing a stint at a very successful restaurant, working for one of the greatest chefs in the world. Now the restaurant isn't yours and you aren't the head chef, but you are at the sous level. The plates you create begin to get recognized around the country and you are being called one of the nation's best young chefs -- one most other five-star restaurants would kill to have in their kitchens. You're career is beginning to buzz.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Matt SlocumThe Bears are using Matt Forte's heavy workload against him in contract negotiations.
Say the restaurant at which you work recognizes your talent, but doesn't honor it. The owner, perhaps the chef whose name is on the establishment, doesn't necessarily want you to leave, but he's not giving you any reasons to stay. You have options and are in demand. So you leave. Time to test the market.

Say you then open your own restaurant, and within a few years, you get the James Beard Foundation Award as the best chef in America and after that your restaurant is voted the best restaurant in America by Gourmet, Food and Wine and Travel and Leisure magazines.

"Matt Forte isn't being paid by the Bears. So he... should... start his own football team?"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sash! posted:

So...is that like nested hypotheticals or what? Because that very first "say you..." makes the entire thing a hypothetical situation, so you don't need to keep saying it over and over again.

Even the conclusion of the hypothetical is a hypothetical conclusion! My brain hurts!

Also, yes, Matt Forte has to go down to the bank and get a $100 billion loan to get his own football team.

Bet you they win a Super Bowl before the Browns...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rap posted:

Writing Owns.

no it dusnt u dooshebag

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nrr posted:

I can't decide whether this thread has made me think that being a decent journalist is either really, really easy, or incredibly, out of control hard.

To me it seems that it is possible in theory, but no one has done it yet.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rap posted:

Really you guys don't think reporters should strive to be fair to all sides

I dunno. What is that imaginary universe like? :911:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I always use black, not African American. But I say black people or black players, not blacks.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

GD_American posted:

An unending succession of large, angry red text telling them what faggots they are

Perma-bans for having the FBI called on Something Awfule because Gendo is driven up the wall till he finally snaps, picks up a cheerleader from any Minnesota sports team, and paints in her blood "The only way to stop the losing is death."

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AdamD posted:

on the other end of the spectrum i have such a boner for jenny vrentas

http://mobile.nj.com/advnj/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=w1O0CcUj&full=true#display

meh she's kind of a butterface

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rap posted:

Yeah is this the women's appearances thread or can we talk about a female writer for her writing

i like how you turn into an adult when it's time for American Sports Journalism talk

It's cute

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nrr posted:

I had a bottle of that stuff once but last I saw of it, my wife poured me a mugfull and next thing i know the mug was flying at my head.

A little off topic, but do you think your catch rate will improve now that Jay Cutler is throwing to you again?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nrr posted:

Well, I didn't think it could get any worse but all he's been throwing me lately is the finger

He just wants to show you that it healed, Brandon

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Blackula69 posted:

Armond White said Big Momma's House 2 was a deep exploration of the role of the modern African-American woman in society

fart

I too am now a comedic genius.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Reminder that Peter King makes more money than any of us will likely see in our lives

Speak for yourself you jizz slurping poo poo magnet. I'm making bank and having teh sex0rz with hb10s thanks to being a bad rear end punter. Now make like an ent and leaf, you whore smuggling dog prober.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

You're the best Hawk poster. :allears:

*edit* Damning with faint praise. You're the best NFC West poster.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Its Miller Time posted:

I think there's a huge ego behind his aww shucks. His refusal to attempt to change his awful mechanics or play a position besides QB indicate to me he got spoiled when he was the king of Florida.

He spent a lot of time working on his mechanics. I'm at work, so I can't pull up the video, but there is a great YouTube clip of him practicing with a coach in the offseason.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

R.D. Mangles posted:

It truly is amazing to me that Gruden is sitting in a dingy strip mall somewhere watching tape for 14 hours a day to explain to television viewers that "that guy, right there, that guy's a football player."

Have you ever listened to someone who is so smart they sounds insane and or stupid? I think Gruden is suffering from some weird information overload so that he spits out gibberish instead of the million thoughts he just processed. Plus American football viewers are stupid.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Dear Bob Costas,

I love dancing and going to the firing range with my father.

Sincerely,
A Young Black Male

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It is somewhat jarring how much better this forum is at sports reporting than the sports media.

You should find the old 9/11 thread. Lots of scary accurate predictions in it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rap posted:

Nobody editorializes worse than Rotoworld:
I don't mind the "Aaron Hernandez is a bad guy" poo poo before a conviction, because these are sports reporters we're talking about. But that last line, Jesus Christ. A private letter directly to a team, offering to make extraordinary accommodations, apparently unprompted. How is he a bad guy in this case exactly?

Calling him a former tight end is kind of misleading. Former Patriot probably would have been a better choice.

Or else that was a pretty stealthy joke...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Same here. I'd like to once again share this excellent article on how the read option may be handled by NFL teams this year. They interviewed the Stanford defensive coordinator responsible for shutting down Oregon, even though not one of his players was drafted. It is very interesting reading how a bunch of scrubs stopped the best offense in college football. (Eat a dick, Aggie.)
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/07/26/derek-mason-stanford-read-option/

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Obviously the phrase "ghettoized" is pretty loaded, but it doesn't seem like a real stretch that football will be played primarily by lower income individuals with fewer options in life.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Beard Yawn posted:

I think I only read Peter King at this point to roll my eyes.

Oh, thanks for telling me about that Peter.

I should open every essay for my literature class like that. I'll make sure to share my professor's response.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Crazy Ted posted:

Remember that time the Super Bowl was in Jacksonville and the press spent two weeks bitching about getting paid to go to the Super Bowl and being showered with all kinds of free poo poo because they had to go through the horrible inconvenience of doing it IN JACKSONVILLE?!?

They're only mad because they think they'll have to hire Jacksonville prostitutes, as if they won't ship them in from Miami anyway.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

WugLyfe posted:

It sustains me. I feed on morsels of misery to grow as a bad person.

Can one of our Greek majors tell me what the opposite of Eudaimonia is?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Febreeze posted:

I like how he says "looks like the worst 2-0 team in NFL history" when you could go back to literally just last year to see the Eagles were far, far worse at 2-0.

*AHEM*

2012 Arizona Cardinals

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Grozz Nuy posted:

That Cardinals team probably would have ended around .500 if Kevin Kolb's ribs had stayed attached to his sternum.

Probably. But that would also require that team to have a line that wouldn't kill every quarterback in the league, which it didn't. And with Kolb gone I think they were the worst in the league last year.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Declan MacManus posted:

how does this not set off a thousand alarms in your head

The ultimate test would be for Rick Reilly to walk up to a group of Native youth and say "Sup Redskins?" If he doesn't get his rear end kicked, he may have a point.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Honestly though, the whole "I found a member of the minority who isn't offended!" defense is the laziest possible response to accusations of racism.

There have been Jewish Nazis and Black Klansman. You can always find a handful of people of any race who will support something or other no matter how insane it is.

gently caress Whitey

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

It is real. Trust me.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Kalli posted:

(The one I know of was a cop working on undercover hate crime investigations)

There's also a thread on Stormfront talking about the BSSOTKK (Black Secret Society of the Klu Klux Klan).

I suspect that these anecdotes may, just may not be rooted in truths.

I remember when I was in 6th or 7th grade, about 11 years ago, I was doing a report on the KKK so I decided to visit their website. It was covered with horrible clipart of black and white rainbows and a ridiculous screed about the KKK's agenda. You see, their goal wasn't to get rid of black people, it was to keep races pure by not mixing, just like god intends. The grey scale rainbows symbolized this, as they did not mix colors. In the middle of the page was a smiling old black man, supposedly a member of theirs. The caption below the picture was a description of how he joined the KKK because he too wanted the races separate, and did not believe whites and blacks should marry.

:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Kalli posted:

I wonder how many of those response letters he posted for his followup column were misquoted...

I think Redskins is a disgusting name and should be changed immediately. I can not believe people do not think this is as obviously disgusting as Chief Wahoo. I really hope my letter isn't altered in any way and you print how angry I actually am. Thanks.

• Locked thread