Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Maybe King's connections will bring in good writers. I mean, Grantland owns even though Bill Simmons is annoying.

Right, guys? Guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rick Reilly's Native American father-in-law says he was completely misquoted; destroys Reilly's article.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2013/10/10/blackfeet-elder-says-rick-reilly-misquoted-him-wants-redskins-banned-151696

lol

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rap posted:

"felt I accurately quoted my father in law" did you take loving notes, dipshit? Like any Journalism 101 student knows they should?
Or use a tape recorder. Or even have the basic mental capacity to remember that something is the exact opposite of the point you are trying to make with your column.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Well at least ESPN learned something from the whole thi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCLc1U82KZk

Haven't official Seminole leaders actually come out in support of FSU using their name though? Like that's why Chief Osceola is still a thing in the first place.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't have an issue with the name of the team, I'm just saying that a white guy in a native american outfit wearing war paint, dancing around going 'oogachaka' as the crowd is doing a war chant and tomahawk chop while the other white guys at the desk are laughing, planned and prepared by the network that just came under fire for standing by Rick Reilly who said "I wasn't wrong, My dad is just lying about being offended by stereotypical depictions of native americans, okay", MIGHT be perhaps not the best idea
Fair enough. It was definitely running through my mind as it happened, but I was more focused on Bill Murray wrestling him to the ground.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bill Barnwell dropped a totally unnecessary Q and Not U reference in a column last week and I don't know if it was great or just stupid. Which is how I feel about Simmonsian writing in general.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sash! posted:

Am I the only person that can't even read this?

"If Calvin Johnson had played in the 20s and not today, Grantland Rice would've said blah blah blah"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Detroit News has this columnist named Jerry Green who has covered every Super Bowl since the very beginning. Usually he posts harmless fluff pieces that are amusing if you're into football history, but after last night he churned out this hunk of poo poo:

quote:

Peyton Manning kept pitching — mostly itsy-bitsy passes — and what we saw in Super Bowl XLVIII was the unraveling of a legend.

Manning was the centerpiece of this Super Bowl. No mistake about that after a record passing season in 2013. The propaganda machine worked crazily all week.

The only debate in this New York/New Jersey Super Bowl was whether Manning was the greatest quarterback, the greatest passer in the history of professional football. A likeable guy who would stamp out his career legacy on Sunday with America and much of the rest of the world as witnesses.

It was a bunch of malarkey.

Seahawks 43, Broncos 8.

The magazines raved about his wing-flapping style, his kicking of his leg as the signal to snap the ball. TV described his dancing and his bellowing “Omaha” before the snap.

All this stuff is vintage Peyton Manning — showbiz.

Russell Wilson, a second-year pro quarterback, outshined Manning, a veteran of 16 NFL seasons. Manning completed a bunch of passes. But he tossed two interceptions. And both were worth touchdowns for the Seahawks in the second quarter. He later turned the ball over on a fumble.

“To finish this way is very disappointing,” Manning told the media in the aftermath.

Instead of the best quarterback in history, I would call Peyton Manning the most overrated athlete in the annals of American professional sports. There — stealing words from Vince Lombardi after the Packers’ conquest of the Chiefs in Super Bowl I — I said it.

Manning now has been the losing quarterback in two of his three Super Bowls — he had a split with the Colts.

The remaining debate now is whether Manning will try to squeeze the last juice out of the lemon. He was noncommittal during the Super Bowl prelude about whether he’d play another season — win or lose — at age 38.

He hinted afterward that he hoped to play again by alluding to how a playoff loss a year ago to Baltimore motivated the Broncos to win the AFC championship in the 2013 season.

“How we used the loss in the playoffs last year to win this year, maybe we could use this game in this offseason,” Manning said. “And then next season as well.”

Many years ago, Bud Grant, the iceman coach of the Vikings, said “quarterbacks can’t be God almighty.” And Bud should know. He lost four Super Bowls, three with Francis Tarkenton.

And it was proved again in a Super Bowl that defense wins.
'Great' only on paper

Pete Carroll’s Seahawks entered this Super Bowl with the No. 1 defense in the NFL. The Broncos came in with the best offense in pro football — most of it attributed to Peyton Manning.

The Seahawks for sure rattled Manning — and when he plays rattled, his teammates play that way, too.

John Fox, the doughty Denver coach who came back to win a conference championship after a heart attack, might fight me on that comment. He defended Manning, denied that his veteran quarterback lost his composure.

“No,” Fox said to the media praising the Seattle defense. “I thought Peyton did a good job.

“The pressure did have something to do with it. Their pass defense is outstanding.”

Manning’s stats might look great. On paper. He set a record for the most passes thrown by any quarterback in any of the previous 47 Super Bowls — 49. And another record for the most passes caught — 34.

But he didn’t throw one of his famed touchdown passes until the final play of the third quarter. By then the Seahawks were kicking the stuffing out of the Broncos, 36-0. And it was the only time the Broncos came close to scoring.
Horrible victims again

Manning completed nearly 70 percent of his passes. But most of them were for 4, 6, 8 yards. The longest was for only 23 yards.

And it’s impossible for an offense to purr into the end zone with those tiny shots.

The Broncos self-destruction started on the very first play. Manning might be 6 foot, 5 inches tall, but the center snap went at least two feet over his head and bounced and rolled into the end zone. The Broncos were fortunate the Seahawks got only a safety.

But the rout had begun.

And it was pretty merciless.

Peyton’s body language told a vivid story on his second interception. It was a duck, after he was hit by Cliff Avril — remember that guy, Detroit? Malcolm Smith grabbed the fluttering ball and ran it 69 yards to a touchdown.

Manning stood watching, his hands on his hips. And the rest of the Broncos seemed to give up the chase.

As a football game, there was nothing to it. Lackluster.

I would rate it was some place around 45 or 46 in my collection of 48 Super Bowls. Sadly, the Broncos were the victims in most of the worst.

There’s an old cliché — “stats are for losers.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140202/SPORTS0101/302020060#ixzz2sGbqLxt3

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like it slightly better than the Mitch Albom style reoccurring one-line paragraph.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I guess since nobody prints anymore it's easier to get away with.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
ICYMI: Rick Reilly making Nazi jokes on twitter and then fake apologizing for it. It's not football related but since we were talking about his career being over, let it be known that his awfulness lives on!

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/rick-reilly-catching-heat-ill-advised-tweet-martin-kaymer-article-1.1829187

https://twitter.com/ReillyRick/status/477573197580103681

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He was retweeting tons of strong takes re: the Redskins name.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Our man Peter with the most awkward tweet regarding Robin Williams:
https://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/498982297757306882

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MonsterWalk posted:

That Bro_Pair article is fantastic.

Before we crown Omar as the worst, let's remember the time PK stole a ball from a child. Then wrote about it with absolutely no loving shame.

In the past year or two I've actually started hating Rick Reilly more than Peter King. Which is saying a lot, because I have literally had dreams in which I lectured somebody on how bad Peter King is.

My dreams are really boring.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I actually retweeted that thinking it was real (I had just woken up).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The TFF Rookie thread or even just NFL N/V would probably be more useful.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ozu posted:

Peter King's storytime did not go as well as he hoped.

@SI_PeterKing
Apropos Of Nothing Dept.:
In June, I was at a Starbucks in downtown Pgh. Andrew McCutchen was in front of me in line. He ordered drink, >>>>

@SI_PeterKing
... And barista said to him:
"Name for the cup?"
McCutchen said politely:
"Andrew."

@SI_PeterKing
You guys win.
You all win.
Be happy.

@SI_PeterKing
Congratations.

I actually can't stop laughing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm guessing there was supposed to be more to that story and Twitter's limitations led to this version, but I'm glad Twitter is dedicated to making GBS threads on Peter King before he can even finish.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Haha oh my god that really is the whole story.

Peter King posted:

I saw the Pirates play in Pittsburgh, with my wife and my brother-in-law and his boys, at beautiful PNC Park (“beautiful” or “breathtaking” should be the mandatory adjective every time PNC Park is discussed) in June. The day of the game, I was in line at a Starbucks in downtown Pittsburgh, a couple of blocks from the Clemente Bridge, the one connecting downtown to the area just outside the outfield at PNC.

And who do you think is in front of me in line? Andrew McCutchen. With his fiancée, Maria Hanslovan, in line with him, McCutchen ordered his drink. I didn’t hear what it was.

“Name for the cup?” the man on the register said.

“Andrew,” McCutchen said.

So they paid and went to wait for their drinks. We ordered, then went to wait for ours next to the reigning National League Most Valuable Player. In cases like this, I always think the famous person should be left alone, because the famous person I assume gets so few chances to be left alone. Thirty, 40, 50 seconds pass.

“Andrew,” the barista called. His drink was ready. He claimed it, and his fiancée claimed hers, and they went over to sit down on a couch in the store. One fellow came over and said hi and shook his hand, and McCutchen was pleasant enough, and that was that, and the MVP of the National League went to sit down and enjoy some private time—I think unbothered but I don’t know because we left—before he had to be at the ballpark that evening.

That was nice.
And he thought the world needed to hear it again two months later.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is there a single decent human being who is a sports journalists or are they all universally underachieving narcissists

I would think most Grantland writers are considered sports journalists.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

football fuckerman posted:

He asked about people who weren't narcissists

Zach Lowe is more of an autist.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Holly Anderson is also a genuinely good and entertaining reporter. Outside of Grantland we're all forgetting TFF favorite Spencer Hall.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

He is not a true Wisconsin quarterback, both because he was only at Wisconsin for like six months and because he is not Jim Sorgi playing under an assumed name.

Which Big Ten team has cloned their quarterback more often, Wisconsin or Northwestern?

Also this reminded me of my favorite thing to come out of "What if Michael Vick were white?":

"What if Eli and Peyton Manning switched bodies and only Jim Sorgi knew?"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

There was an article in ESPNMag years ago titled "What if Michael Vick Were White?"

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/6894586/imagining-michael-vick-white-quarterback-nfl-espn-magazine

Toure spoke at my college last year and was awkward and spoke for less time than they paid for. He went on a spiel about lack of father figures in African-American communities and all of the sociology majors got really mad and took it like a hipper version of that Bill Cosby image macro. We were supposed to get Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ribsauce posted:

What I don't understand. One player does not want to talk to the media and has made it obvious he won't say anything. Why can't the media just talk to the 52 other players without throwing a temper tantrum?

Because people want quotes from the dude who just trucked five guys for a spectacular touchdown and not a random guard.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Curious if you guys know: Is PFTCommenter the alter ego of a real SB Nation/KSK writer or was he just a gimmick commenter that they thought was funny and then reached out to? Or was he a Twitter personality first?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

football fuckerman posted:

Yeah SBNation just caught on that he is loving amazing and asked him to do longer stuff. I Love The PFTCommenter

Indeed he is. Does anybody outside of his circle know who he is IRL?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In case you haven't read any dumb old white guy opinions recently, here's Jerry Green (one of four writers to cover every Super Bowl) talking about how Joe Namath was fun but Marshawn Lynch grabbing his balls is just too much.

Era of innocence for Super Bowl, NFL long gone

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The threshold for a Hall of Fame safety is probably hire than that of a running back. Also Bettis was a Steeler.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Good job, me, holder of a B.A. in English who works in copy editing. The best excuse I can give is phone posting.

:negative:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Somebody actually thought PFTCommenter was Peter King.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Benne posted:

The hot takes are loving flying today

I liked Rosenberg in Detroit but what the actual gently caress

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

I also enjoyed that retort, because gently caress the shithead veteran who read a vague reference to workplace deaths and got righteously indignant assuming dude was talking about specifically the military.

edit:

Florio's original point was loving stupid, I just appreciate the back and forth.

People use the military in examples like that all the loving time. poo poo, it just happened recently when Derrick Rose talked about preserving his long term health. I don't blame the guy for assuming.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Are you new to sports fans and/or America?

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 18, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
SF Weekly's editor compared Jay Mariotti to Hunter S. Thompson.

quote:

Is it bold to bring Mariotti to this company because he was accused of some lovely crimes? No, that's not what's bold about it. That was a decision higher-ups in the company made after lots of conversations with him, and they trusted what they heard. What's bold is that, in spite of this, we decided to bring to the Bay Area's sports scene an excellent writer with a voice that's singular in ways not unlike maverick voices from the past, such as Hunter S. Thompson's.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GeneX posted:

PFTCommentor should be celebrated, not avoided

He's talking about GamerGate.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dubious posted:

PFT real mad about biting on Kurt Warner's april fools joke

"April Fools’ Day has rapidly grown tiresome, as people seem to have lost any sense of what the day is supposed to be. For everyone who comes up with a legitimately funny April Fools’ Day joke — like the Bengals tweaking the Browns about a change to their uniforms — there are many more people like Bruce Irvin and Greg Jennings who just make up blatant lies and come across like they’re starved for attention.

If people like Warner, Irvin and Jennings don’t know the difference between “playing a good April Fools prank” and “being a liar,” maybe it’s just time for us to scrap this whole stupid holiday, and acknowledge that the real fools are the ones who can’t grasp the distinction between a joke and a lie."

Did Warner say he was coming back or someting? Also is this Florio because that's incredibly embarrassing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'm devastated. I can get enough of a PFTcommenter fix from Twitter (and he'll show up somewhere else anyway)
He has a weekly SB Nation column.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If nothing else that game brought us this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's really weird hearing him talk though, because his writing voice is more like a drunk 50-something.

• Locked thread