Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Wasn't it Peter King who, in a column published in August after the second time Big Ben raped someone, praised him for "Staying out of trouble since the incident"? Or am I thinking of another awful sports writer? I just remember sitting here dumbfounded that a guy honestly said "Hey he's not raped anyone for 3 months, upstanding citizen right here!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

The Bengals also used to give the Ravens absolute fits until Palmer, Joseph, and Ochocinco all left and the curse was broken. And since then the Ravens haven't had as many problems with them. But in Palmer's career, man the Bengals would beat our asses every time. So that's incorrect to say we've dominated them.

I think the bigger issue is the rise of Ray Rice and the continued decline of the Bengals LBs causing huge mismatches, more so than the loss of Palmer (Who admittedly played great against Baltimore for some unknown reason). But I really do think that situation will change now, as bad as the MNF game week 1 was, I have faith that the Bengals can win this upcoming home game, and in Baltimore if need be in the playoffs. Of course with all the Ravens' injuries and the Bengals getting healthier through the year (Seriously week 1 we were screwed with the starters we'd lost in the 3 weeks prior), excluding Sanu, they're hardly the same teams any more.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Yes hm good question, I suppose it comes down to if you would consider football players to be "people"... I shall have to think on this

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Rap posted:

Gladwell is an idiot and boxing fell apart in large part because of obviously rigged fights imo

I've made the argument here before, and I maintain it, that more than anything else the fall of boxing is due to the rise of football and basketball. No matter how hard you are it's always more fun as a kid to play a game, run and chase each other, throw a ball, etc. than it is to punch each other in the face. Once running around and catching each other started to earn good money, and then eventually giving you opportunities to earn more than all but the top boxers, you're going to stick with that. Not to mention the school/pee-wee system integration getting kids started earlier and invested in a sport before they're old enough to really begin boxing (Some people have their kids boxing at 7 and 8, those people are called psychopaths).

Fixed fights, head trauma, lack of good American heavyweights, and later the rise of MMA all contributed as well of course, but I think the biggest factor is that kids want to have FUN. And when there's 5 or 6 kids playing together it's a lot easier to play a game of 3 on 3 basketball, or toss the ball around at each other, than it is to lace up and set up a round-robin sparring session.

• Locked thread