Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Post game interviews are always poo poo, filled with cliche questions and answers. "How's it feel to win" "How's it feel to make a play" "How about this player" then "We had some guys make some key plays, played some good football, feels great to get a win, they are a good football team" etc. Post game locker room interviews are bullshit. The only time they are at all not bullshit is when you get a player like Richard Sherman go nuts like last season.

I have no sympathy for the reporters. They are now targeting Lynch in all the postgame stuff because now they know his apathy is a story itself. I wonder if Marshawn knows this and is deliberately loving with all of them to build his own mystique and have fun, in which case good for him that owns. Or if he's actually not realizing that his antics aren't helping him and that if he really wants to get the media off his back he needs to go full Belichick and be as dry as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Chichevache posted:

"It's not harassment, it's part of the job."
They're repeatedly bothering the dude. That's harassment. You can try and justify it any way you want, but you can't change the definition of the word, man.

And I don't quite get why it is necessary to make the man uncomfortable? Why the pressing need for a statement from a man who doesn't want to give one?

Ham has a point that being an NFL player comes with certain contract requirements that mean Lynch needs to speak with the media or he is breaking a contract he signed, and he should get fined for it. In certain situations Lynch needs to just suck it up and deal with it better than he is. If Lynch did indeed play his music loud on purpose to prevent the reporters from interviewing teammates, that's going too far. Covering yourself is one thing, interfering with others is another.

But you're absolutely right that the reporters are going after him. Look how many stories are getting written about Lynch's press conferences. Reporters know that Lynch is going to provide a sound bite of annoyance and a funny press response that people are going to read about because him trashing the media is hilarious and awesome. There are 52 other players, I'm sure some would love a little spotlight, but everyone is clearly aiming for Lynch as his hatred has just become another angle for reporters to use for stories. If Lynch is aware of this and is just using it to gently caress with the media, he is %100 the best. If he's not, then he's being kind of stupid because there are better ways to get the press off his back. Frankly I think he just has a low bullshit tolerance, and post game interviews are pretty bullshit, so it's fun to watch him gently caress with reporters who could easily talk to any number of other players (Lots of stars on that team) to get a good quote.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 23, 2014

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

People are writing about him in anticipation?

Even as far as belligerence goes he isn't very interesting or entertaining.

That was poor wording on my part, I meant more "look how many stories get written about each new press conference he has."

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Democratic Pirate posted:

Seahawks win:

"Our scheme worked and we executed well; we expected to win coming in today and now we're moving on to the next game."

Seahawks win:

"Our scheme was solid but we didn't execute well; we're disappointed with the loss but we'll just have to move past it and heal."

Repeat ad nauseam

Can you really blame the players for sticking with cliche when the media is more than willing to blow anything that isn't a boring victory cliche completely out of the water and out of context? 90% of press conferences and questions like this are boring BS

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

football fuckerman posted:

Also lol that nobody can write a "good" question to ask Marshawn. Looking forward to Chichevache's YouTube hit LEAVE MARSHAWN ALONE since that's what that whole argument boils down to

Chiche please unironically do this

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

That does make me curious, what do people want them to say exactly?

The questions are generic but they seem fine to me.

I think folks like Chiche are suggesting that they ask more in depth questions like you'd see in a pre-game exclusive interview but these are beat reporters, they have no interest in that crap they just need a soundbite, because they aren't writing an article on Marshawn Lynch, they are writing a game re-cap. Simple questions like "How important was that run" or "Was that the second biggest run you've ever had?" are good quote getting questions. Most of the questions asked though are going to be the same questions you get every week, as a player I'd probably find it numbing and you can see players turn on the "Press autopilot" when they get interviewed post-game.

Honestly at this point if I was a beat reporter for Seattle I'd just avoid Lynch and go for Sherman, Thomas, Carroll, Wilson, Bennett, Chancellor, any number of other players. Lynch is the big deal but if he's not going to cooperate when I'm just trying to get a good quote, gently caress him. But I wonder how many of these reporters have editors demanding they get a Lynch quote because someone knows Lynch is going to be a turd and get a story that that people will read that way.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Indeed he is. Does anybody outside of his circle know who he is IRL?

I do, but I guess I'm sort of in his circle since he writes for the same site I do and I've talked to him behind the scenes

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Ribsauce posted:

Does he have a regular job? I like to imagine he is some nerdy IT guy who never says anything in real life then drops 30 legitimately funny jokes a day on twitter.

Honestly, he is so funny I wouldn't be surprised if he was a professional comedy writer, like the Fire Joe Morgan guys.

I honestly don't know, never asked.

I don't know much about him, just a few things from working with him. I will say he is a super nice guy.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

The thing is I never thought of Darren Sharper as a Hall of Famer to begin with, even before we found out what level of scum he is. I always saw him in the hall of very good at best. Taking his rapes out of the equation, does he actually have an argument? Not like a small consideration but a genuine argument?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Why would anyone take anything Stephen A Smith or Skip Bayless say seriously. Really. Their show is literally "Pick two extreme sides of a topic and argue", I doubt they even believe half of what they say. They are paid to stir poo poo up.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

I hate the indignant veteran meme more than I hate Matt Florio.

Who is Matt Florio, is he the headless uncle of Mike Florio

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

tbf, if you're a sports journalist that's active on twitter and you don't know who PFTCommenter is, you deserve whatever is coming to you

Seriously, I have no idea how some don't know him yet considering his exploits

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Burger Trench posted:

I think it's reasonable to have never heard of PFTCommenter, but how you can glance at anything he writes and not immediately realize it's satire is pretty incredible.

I'd actually argue the opposite, at least on twitter. Part of what makes his shtick work so well is that on twitter he perfectly blends in with the idiots he's making fun of. No matter how outrageous some of his takes are some people are actually making them for real. It's only his articles that really show he's satire.

But at this point he's been doing it for years and probably taunted every major sports journalist so not hearing of him when it's your job to keep up with the scene is pretty unforgivable.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Professional Sports Writers engaging in pointless twitter battles with dumb followers happens every week. It's kind of hilarious when some sports guy will respond to an idiot and tweet out burns. Sports writers, especially the B/R kind, are incredibly insecure and it's hilarious.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I don't know if that's a fair comparison. I'm not talking about your average joe, who wouldn't know Gamergate or PFTC, we are talking sports journalists, the specific targets of his satire and the very people he has earned a reputation embarrassing these past few years. Like the average football fan on twitter probably has no idea who PFTC is and I can understand that, but the specific people he targets? The very people who's job it is to make these football hot takes and keep up to speed with sports media? A little less sympathy there. He writes for one of the most popular sports blogs on the internet and several others, and these sites all just steal content from one another, so being part of that circle and not knowing him is kind of rare.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Dubious posted:

PFT real mad about biting on Kurt Warner's april fools joke

"April Fools’ Day has rapidly grown tiresome, as people seem to have lost any sense of what the day is supposed to be. For everyone who comes up with a legitimately funny April Fools’ Day joke — like the Bengals tweaking the Browns about a change to their uniforms — there are many more people like Bruce Irvin and Greg Jennings who just make up blatant lies and come across like they’re starved for attention.

If people like Warner, Irvin and Jennings don’t know the difference between “playing a good April Fools prank” and “being a liar,” maybe it’s just time for us to scrap this whole stupid holiday, and acknowledge that the real fools are the ones who can’t grasp the distinction between a joke and a lie."

I saw PFT at the top of the post and assumed this was a PFTCommenter response, and it was hilarious

Then I realized it was real and holy poo poo

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The only people allowed to hate Aprils Fools day are people born on April Fools Day

like me

every birthday I have ever had has been a hell of my loved ones tormenting me with an increasingly elaborate series of tricks

Everytime you got a bad present though you could be the most sarcastic rear end in a top hat

"Oh, I always wanted a Tebow jersey! April Fools, go Steelers"

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

AAA DOLFAN posted:

At least the civil case will put all this poo poo to rest, unless it gets thrown out and people think FSUs reach goes all the way to the civil side of things, which is insane.

Why on earth do you read Omars twitter good lord

The only thing more unsettling than Omar Kelly is Ehud's obsession with Omar Kelly

You are a brave man, Ehud. I tried following him once and got so mad that I stopped the same day

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Real Name Grover posted:

Peter King is now apologizing profusely on Twitter for calling Randy Gregory's marijuana use/depression/anxiety/etc. "character flaws."

and only because legions of people called him out on it

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Pro Football Talk is a professional football news source so you know all the tweets will be reasonable

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/634070778342998016

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

sweet thursday posted:

I don't see how they thought spending a poo poo load of money to get us all to hate them was a sound marketing plan

Millions of people play the lottery despite miniscule chances of winning. This poo poo operates on almost the same level by giving you slightly more illusion of control over your "ticket" making you think you have a chance.

That, plus football fans are dumb, makes me think the ad campaign is probably working

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ryan Nanni? I saw an SB Nation video of him and it was only weird because his twitter avi is Eddie Murphy.

Yeah Nanni is on a weekly SB nation show about College football. It was weird seeing him the first time since I wasn't expecting a short dumpy white guy but then I remembered he's a sports person so I feel stupid for not expecting exactly that, all sports people are dumpy white dudes or scrawny white dudes with glasses and beards

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Kalli posted:

It's the stupid newbie avatar equivalent for twitter.

yeah basically it's your default avatar when you sign up. It looks like this: https://twitter.com/pedruss3

Egg avatars have a reputation in twitter as the troll avatar. A lot of trolls and angry assholes use throwaway accounts so if you see people dissing "Egg Avatars" or something like that they are referring to these people.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ehud, considering your ability to Deadlift while doing IT why not just fight Omar Kelly already

Like, go to a bar and fight him

It's not polite to physically assault the mentally impaired

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

AAA DOLFAN posted:

God we have the worst writers

Have you met video games?

All writers are bad

all things are bad

people are scum

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I'm the dude in the jury who looks half asleep all the time

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

swickles posted:

I dont see why Tillman can't go in as a contributor instead of a player if people are going to be so uppity about his work as a player.

I might be okay with a contributor, but not as a player.

I don't want to poo poo on Tillman or anything but all he did was play good football for 3 years and then leave and eventually get shot dead by his own side. In terms of what Tillman accomplished on the field for the sport, it's not much and he wouldn't be considered for the hall had he not died. He's only a big deal because he was a good player who actually left and then died young.

Tillman deserves to be remembered more for his patriotism and legacy than his football legacy. His greatest contribution to football was showing that there are more important things and leaving.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 24, 2016

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Almost cut myself on that post

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

swickles posted:

it's literally the football equivalent of the high score screen in an arcade machine.

Would you accept a high score by some kid who only played the first level and got a glitch to give them points? :colbert:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Brannock posted:

Can't believe no one has pointed out yet that King has previously argued that off-field shouldn't matter one single bit for Hall of Fame inclusion

If it doesn't matter for Sharper then it shouldn't matter for Tillman, you fat gently caress

To be fair to King, his off-field accomplishments are the only real argument Tillman has for the HoF, so by his logic he's actually just fine

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Aw man, I legit loved following Bart mostly because he's an unapologetic patriots troll. His employers must have finally thought he went to far because he's been ragging the Pats for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Katie Nolan is the one Fox Sports media personality who owns and she deserves a bigger show

• Locked thread